Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4001520 - 08/27/14 12:42 PM Good is good, but is it legal?  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4001522 - 08/27/14 12:44 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: komemiute]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Falcon 3? I don't care if it's legal or not, I'm not touching it ever again! smile

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4001527 - 08/27/14 12:48 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

LOL! I still have the fondest memories of it. Look, just last evening I pulled out the original box plus Operation Fighting Tiger's one and all the diskettes are still there and working, the manual is a dream, and I even found inside the box the little notebook I used to keep track of my pilots.

I wrote all the mission we made, tracking down nearly everything. Of course there's a lot of losses! :P

I didn't even improve that much. smile

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4001538 - 08/27/14 01:27 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: komemiute]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Since the question of legality was raised (not sure if only jokingly or for real?):

There is no such thing as "abandonware". Copyright law is independent from active promotion/sales. It's definitely NOT legal to distribute the software, even if the company that made it (e.g. Microprose) no longer exists (in this case, the copyright/IP has been passed on to Hasbro; Hasbro might not actively seek to prevent the distribution of Falcon 3, but that doesn't make it legal).

#4001541 - 08/27/14 01:30 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: komemiute]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I still dont get the fascination that some people seem to have with retro gaming. It seems like it has more to do with reliving the days of being younger and not having responsibilities like work and family than it does about revisiting a game that they really think is so awesome that it's worth putting up with the crappy graphics.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4001542 - 08/27/14 01:30 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: Ssnake]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Ssnake
Since the question of legality was raised (not sure if only jokingly or for real?):

There is no such thing as "abandonware". Copyright law is independent from active promotion/sales. It's definitely NOT legal to distribute the software, even if the company that made it (e.g. Microprose) no longer exists (in this case, the copyright/IP has been passed on to Hasbro; Hasbro might not actively seek to prevent the distribution of Falcon 3, but that doesn't make it legal).

Yes, absolutely- My question was serious.
I was actually looking for this sort of explanation, thank you.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4001544 - 08/27/14 01:34 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: komemiute]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Overrated coffee. I could be quartered and drawn by a moose for saying this. biggrin

#4001546 - 08/27/14 01:36 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I still dont get the fascination that some people seem to have with retro gaming. It seems like it has more to do with reliving the days of being younger and not having responsibilities like work and family than it does about revisiting a game that they really think is so awesome that it's worth putting up with the crappy graphics.

You do strike a nerve here. I do indeed feel a sense of weightlessness- and usually I can't play old games for as long as I play new ones.

With few notable exception-

X-Com (with OpenXcom it's even H-res), I can play that S#!7 for hours and hours...
Mechwarrior 2,3,4- Even though it's quite a lot I don't fire'em up.
Falcon 3- Hands down I can't care about graphics.
VGA age Graphical Adventure or the point-and-click type- LucasArts, Sierra, you name them I legally own them (thanks Steam and GOG.COM!), I just can't bear text parsers...

Probably some more, but then I't just an exercise of memory---

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4001549 - 08/27/14 01:40 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: WangoTango]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: WangoTango
Overrated coffee. I could be quartered and drawn by a moose for saying this. biggrin

Actually this "field" of gaming it's one of those I feel more open to debate, no matter the opinion.
I'd still prefer constructive debate, but... wink

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4001550 - 08/27/14 01:40 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island

For me, some games, like SimCity 2000 in DOS, were just clean and well done. Others I play because I never had them back in the day but was interested, or sometimes didn't have the time or patience (Harpoon I'm looking at you!) back then.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4001558 - 08/27/14 01:50 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: WangoTango]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Um, I think you posted in the wrong thread! Seems like you need more coffee. lol

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4001598 - 08/27/14 03:47 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: komemiute]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Well, with all these old games there's always the aspect of morality more than legality. The question I ask my self all the time is: can I buy this? No. Can I buy a modern rendition of this from the same guys? No. So, what lose of revenue do I inflict on the developer? None.

If the thing comes out on GOG or something in the future, then go and buy it, but I'm not gonna sit there wishing I could play a game that the developer abandoned and forgot about long time ago.

Is like stealing candy from a kid, everybody wins. :P

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#4001636 - 08/27/14 07:07 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

There is more to games then just "oohshiny". Too many games made now are all form but no substancemuch like a beautiful blonde bombshell that has an IQ of 20. winkngrin

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4001650 - 08/27/14 07:55 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: komemiute]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Falcon 3 Gold still had a lot of bugs and limitations. I can understand playing F4:AF or BMS or whatever, but never F3. Last time I tried it was not long before F4 came out and the tying of certain in-game functions to processor clocks meant that I pushed my thrust to 100% for takeoff--and accelerated to such a speed I ripped off my gear and exploded in like 2 seconds!

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4001654 - 08/27/14 07:58 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: komemiute]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Because you forgot to disable the Turbo button on your PC.

mycomputer

#4001655 - 08/27/14 08:02 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: komemiute]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Memories get better each passing day.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4001661 - 08/27/14 08:09 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Um, I think you posted in the wrong thread! Seems like you need more coffee. lol

LOL. Your right.

#4001673 - 08/27/14 08:36 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: komemiute]  
GrooveChampion Offline
GrooveChampion  Offline

Greece
For me 'abandonware' is a chance to play games I missed the first time around (didn't join the pc club until '96). Now that we have gog you can even do it legally!

#4001725 - 08/27/14 10:41 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Because you forgot to disable the Turbo button on your PC.

mycomputer

Or he wasn't running moslo. I had F3 running on a Win95 P133 in the early 2000s because my Win98 P3-350 continually BSODd with JF15. Moslo with the brakes set at about 97% made F3 run the same as it had on my 486SX25 I first played it on.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4001987 - 08/28/14 06:04 PM Re: Good is good, but is it legal? [Re: komemiute]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Speaking to the idea of retro games and nostalgia; I have Fighter Squadron: SDOE and it runs fine and has a bunch of mods but compared to IL-2 it's pretty horrible, I also have Red Baron 3D and it is just a shade below WOFF compared to Rise of Flight and while it's fun to compare their individual Pros and Cons the newer games are much more enjoyable graphically though some of the features of the older games are pretty decent for what they had to work with, the story or campaign in most cases made up for how primitive the game graphics appeared and you got a pretty big manual to go with it. Nowadays you're lucky if you get anything but brief instruction on how to install. I did however get EF 2000 and managed to get it installed and working, getting my joystick to properly work however is going to be a bit harder although there is a front end program called EF2000 Reloaded that makes it possible to use Track-Ir and modern digital controllers so I'm giving it a shot for the experience. Some of the games on that site I actually played way back when on a friends system and are what made me finally get into PC's so I could play them too, by then they were long gone. It's amazing that what they look like in the screenshots now looking back are no where near as good as my memory of playing them was.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.