Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3999807 - 08/23/14 12:47 PM Aircraft Identification and Draw Distance  
Pugio Offline
Pugio  Offline

Deep in the Leng Plateau
Hello all,

I find it very difficult to identify aircraft at distance in COD. I know the shapes, but beyond anything of more--say 750 meters--it is very difficult to see any visual detail. Zooming in is not particularly helpful either.

Playing on the ATAG server, someone mentioned on the Blue side that a bunch of 109's were chasing each other around. This suggests a) other people either do not no aircraft shapes or more likely they are having similar identification problems as me and b) more experienced players are not having as difficult a time.

It could be inexperience, indeed, on my part. But is there some trick to this I do not know about? Is there a way to increase draw distance so more detail is added between rendering aircraft as dots vs more detailed models?

I am running the latest Team Fusion of course, with all detail settings on high (AA at 2x) and on a 720p monitor.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4002157 - 08/29/14 12:03 AM Re: Aircraft Identification and Draw Distance [Re: Pugio]  
swampyankee Offline
swampyankee  Offline

Howdy Pugio, no need to feel like the Lone Ranger in this, it's all the same for many. I fly in a sqn. and it's the same consensus, you need to get close to see what exactly you're looking at. The Italian A/C are especially deceiving, leaving us to many times think the fighter is a Hurricane. Best thing to do is learn to look at the wing shapes, square for 109 pointy for spit. Get in closer and verify.

Another answer to the problem is to join a sqn then your team mates can help you see better. More eyes for looking, and in our case, one guy who can see with virtual 20/20 vision. He sees things none of can see right away.

If this interests you and you don't mind flying for the German side follow the link below and register in the forum. The forum can be found under the HQ tab on the main page.
http://ii-jg3.net/intro.html

BTW I'm in Maine.
My tag is Target

Last edited by swampyankee; 08/29/14 12:05 AM.
#4013238 - 09/23/14 03:02 AM Re: Aircraft Identification and Draw Distance [Re: Pugio]  
Maldoror Offline
Maldoror  Offline

Darwin Australia
Aircraft Identification has a helpful mnemonic: WEFT.

Wings
Engine
Fuselage
Tail

These pictures help, but please remember that in WW2 the AA gunners used to call it:

Wrong Every F**king Time

So yeah - it's a dark art

You know what works for me?
- Radio (Teamspeak).
As they say: Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.
Keep up a constant chatter about contacts and you'll get better at seeing and recognising them.

If it's worth doing, it's worth half doing twice. - Homer.

[img]https://db.tt/EBaXlWQd[/img]

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.