Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3998674 - 08/20/14 11:35 PM Automata (2014) film  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
This article on the film was posted at the verge.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/20/6050577/automata-trailer-dark-sci-fi-film-sentient-robots-escape

The robots and world vision look interesting. I will wait for some viewer comments or reviews before deciding if I will see the film in a theater or on-loan from the library (if they buy a copy).

no option to insert a yahoo vid?

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3998831 - 08/21/14 01:02 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Patrocles]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
A modified version of the Three Laws. Amazing how those have persisted when it was just a plot device Asimov created to justify having benevolent robots (as most every previous SF story had them like metal versions of Frankenstein's monster).

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3998903 - 08/21/14 03:06 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Patrocles]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Not only that ... sometimes I wonder if anyone actually read Asimov's stories. The point of almost every single one was that the robots didn't behave as expected despite these seemingly clever laws, pointing out time and again that even though the robots in his story in no case violated their laws, they would invariably fail the test of real life.

Now the first "protocol" is that a robot may not harm any life form. What about disinfectants, agriculture, disease control? We kill trillions of bacteria every hour, we kill animals to eat, we smash insects on windshields and snails on the road with the tires of our cars - how can a robot be functional in any of these situations and remain functional?

#3999213 - 08/22/14 06:06 AM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Jedi Master]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
A modified version of the Three Laws. Amazing how those have persisted when it was just a plot device Asimov created to justify having benevolent robots (as most every previous SF story had them like metal versions of Frankenstein's monster).

Do you have a reference for that? It seems far more than a
plot device to me; it's a simple rational feature, which
helps distinguish sensible stories about possible futures
from silly horror stories (I realize that "silly horror
stories" is redundant). If you are going to build devices
which apparently achieve some sort of consciousness (a very
problematic premise, but regardless), then you had better
have built in safeguards, especially if they are going to
be potentially both mentally and physically more powerful
than we are - in fact you would have a very hard time being
allowed to build them otherwise.

#3999323 - 08/22/14 12:52 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Ssnake]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted By: Ssnake
Not only that ... sometimes I wonder if anyone actually read Asimov's stories. The point of almost every single one was that the robots didn't behave as expected despite these seemingly clever laws, pointing out time and again that even though the robots in his story in no case violated their laws, they would invariably fail the test of real life.

Now the first "protocol" is that a robot may not harm any life form. What about disinfectants, agriculture, disease control? We kill trillions of bacteria every hour, we kill animals to eat, we smash insects on windshields and snails on the road with the tires of our cars - how can a robot be functional in any of these situations and remain functional?

Holy pedantic-ism, Batman! hahaha is pedantic-ism that even a word? wacky

Is a BMW really the ultimate driving machine?
Why do they call a structure a 'building' after it has been completed?
Is baby shampoo really made out of babies?
wink

I tend to think of Asimov's 3 laws of robotics as a starting point or reference for writers. His 3 laws are not carved in stone and any author is free to change/modify/add/delete laws as they choose. For me, i see the trailer focusing more on the fascinating idea of robots becoming sentient and then start modifying other robots to also become sentient?
cowboy

#3999328 - 08/22/14 12:59 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: PV1]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted By: PV1
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

Do you have a reference for that? It seems far more than a
plot device to me; it's a simple rational feature, which
helps distinguish sensible stories about possible futures
from silly horror stories (I realize that "silly horror
stories" is redundant). If you are going to build devices
which apparently achieve some sort of consciousness (a very
problematic premise, but regardless), then you had better
have built in safeguards, especially if they are going to
be potentially both mentally and physically more powerful
than we are - in fact you would have a very hard time being
allowed to build them otherwise.

iibc Asimov is credited with putting the 3 laws into code (so to speak)
iibc, he got one or two of the laws from another author and i believe the 3 laws were put down in sepearte stories before he brought them together as the 3 laws(?)

Yes, it is a plot device. One can move the plot device even further back and, as many of the popular writers and lit teachers point out, there are only two plots to all stories: a stranger comes to town, or a person goes on a journey.
cowboy

#3999330 - 08/22/14 01:01 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Patrocles]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Patrocles
For me, i see the trailer focusing more on the fascinating idea of robots becoming sentient and then start modifying other robots to also become sentient?
cowboy

This happened in the re-imagined BSG where the "old style" cylon centurions had gained enough sentience and thus started to experiment and ultimately created the cylon "skinjobs".

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/22/14 01:14 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3999342 - 08/22/14 01:09 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Patrocles]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA

Yes, it is a plot device. One can move the plot device even further back and, as many of the popular writers and lit teachers point out, there are only two plots to all stories: a stranger comes to town, or a person goes on a journey.
cowboy

You forgot the the third one, used by the Twilight series: people stare at each other.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3999363 - 08/22/14 01:36 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Patrocles]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Interesting old story by Robert Sheckley called Watchbird takes this ultimate compliance with the laws to absurd extents (including the bugs on the windshield thing!).

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29579

Last edited by Recluse; 08/22/14 01:36 PM.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#3999447 - 08/22/14 04:45 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Patrocles]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney

If I've learned anything about computers in the past thirty years (and admittedly it's not much), they are the the embodiment of pedantry. It is only reasonable to assume that robots (=computers that can purposefully interact with the physical world) will be extremely pedantic with everything, and that's quite the point I was trying to make. It's the point that everybody tends to gloss over, and at the same time it's the mountain of sand poured into the gears whenever there's interaction of human brains with machines (not with already compiled computer programs that have all kinds of sanity checks already built in).

Assuming robots that can put fuzzy human commands into a situational context just like humans can (and usually will) is about as realistic as it was in the 17th century of dreaming to visit the moon. Yes, eventually engineers made it work, but
  1. certainly not for everyone
  2. at horrendous costs
  3. with none of the methods proposed until the late 19th century (magic geese, beanstalks, hot air balloons, big cannons, flying carpets, ...)

Every tale of a magic fairy granting three wishes is a story describing how humans are fundamentally incapable of giving instructions even under the most benevolent conditions that take all the conditions into account (=algorithmic thinking) - but algorithmic thinking is all that computers do (if you even want to call it thinking).

#3999476 - 08/22/14 06:28 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Patrocles]  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
Just a machine? That's like saying you're just an ape!

I Want To Believe
#3999510 - 08/22/14 07:42 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Patrocles]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
We ARE just apes! biggrin

We have kickass thumbs and over-sized heads though.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3999519 - 08/22/14 08:01 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Patrocles]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Get your hands off me you damn dirty human!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3999531 - 08/22/14 08:43 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Patrocles]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
You would imagine that the creator of any successful AI will set it make assumptions based on convention as opposed to always interpreting things literally.
A robot that rips off its limb and gives it to you when you say "give me a hand" would never make it into production because no one would buy it.
What good is a combat robot that throws a blanket on you when you say "cover me"?

The Jedi Master

#3999576 - 08/22/14 10:28 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Ssnake]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted By: Ssnake

If I've learned anything about computers in the past thirty years (and admittedly it's not much), they are the the embodiment of pedantry. It is only reasonable to assume that robots (=computers that can purposefully interact with the physical world) will be extremely pedantic with everything, and that's quite the point I was trying to make. It's the point that everybody tends to gloss over, and at the same time it's the mountain of sand poured into the gears whenever there's interaction of human brains with machines (not with already compiled computer programs that have all kinds of sanity checks already built in).

Assuming robots that can put fuzzy human commands into a situational context just like humans can (and usually will) is about as realistic as it was in the 17th century of dreaming to visit the moon. Yes, eventually engineers made it work, but
  1. certainly not for everyone
  2. at horrendous costs
  3. with none of the methods proposed until the late 19th century (magic geese, beanstalks, hot air balloons, big cannons, flying carpets, ...)

Every tale of a magic fairy granting three wishes is a story describing how humans are fundamentally incapable of giving instructions even under the most benevolent conditions that take all the conditions into account (=algorithmic thinking) - but algorithmic thinking is all that computers do (if you even want to call it thinking).

I believe I see where you are coming from. For me it is with all the vampire media being used to tell us what is important about being human stuff.
cowboy

#3999577 - 08/22/14 10:30 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Get your hands off me you damn dirty human!

LOL!
now that is funny!
thumbsup

#3999588 - 08/22/14 11:08 PM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Patrocles]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Arguably that's the only question that counts in literature and other arts: What makes us human?

That's more relevant today than ever as we are (at least seemingly) on the technological threshold of actually creating artificial intelligence. This is what makes the new Battlestar Galactica an interesting TV show, it is what drives the second half of the Freefall web comic (starting from episode 1277; the first half is mildly amusing, the second takes a sharp turn towards topics of relevance).

The interesting thing is that the arts have answered the question rather unanimously already - the method of reproduction is irrelevant. If it is self-conscientious and able to enter a dialogue or other form of interaction with humans, it is human (even though I suspect that in reality it will turn out to be quite inhuman and probably fundamentally detached from the way how humans think. We will never be able to truly empathize with robots. They might fake natural responses, but they will never truly be like us. We only wish they would be.

#3999706 - 08/23/14 06:06 AM Re: Automata (2014) film [Re: Patrocles]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
I have no expectation that any machine we can make
will achieve consciousness, except in a case where
we devise a method to lay the groundwork for consciousness
to appear, in such a way that when/if it does, we
have absolutely no means to determine how it is
occurring, or what exactly is involved. There is
absolutely no possible way that a device which is
programmed in a way which allows us to inspect and
understand all its logic processing can ever achieve
consciousness, and anyone who has any grasp of what
consciousness involves can immediately see how that
must be true.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.