Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Here's a skinning tutorial that I put together for a challenge I am running:

Here are the software files you will need for your skinnin� goodness:
GIMP- Like Photoshop
DXTBMP Format and File Converter
IRFAN View Texture viewer

Good Luck, my fellow forumites!

I'll add new information as it becomes available to me...

Pro Tip: anytime you try ANYTHING, do it on a new layer! winkngrin

Naming Convention

Here's OVStachel with a tip on skin naming that may save you some aggravation later on:
Originally Posted by OvStachel

This is actually correct.

For a skin, use the format...

Off_(aircraft type)_ace_t_(squadron) (year)_(your pilot name)

ex:
Off_Alb_DIII_OAW_ace_t_Jasta 3 1917_Otto von_Stachel (you don't need the under score for your skin.. but I do it anyway.

OvS

Here's some more info on naming:

Originally Posted by jerbear
Hi Becker - 1- go upper left on Gimp to File > On drop down choose "Save as" > put in your file name and leave it as .xcf file > Save it in your documents file. This is only a backup and has nothing to do with export or converting to DDS.
2- go back to File > choose "Export as" on dropdown > enter you file name but change it to a bmp file. Example: Fokker DVII.bmp. > There is a dropdown list on the bottom of your export window that will say " "All export images" choose the dropdown that says "Windows BMP image (bmp) make sure you have bmp in your file name not xcf. > choose desktop as you file destination on the left side of the window.

3 - Hit the "EXPORT" button and another window will appear that asks is you want compatability options or advanced options > choose advanced options > you will be given three options 16, 24 or 32 bits > choose 24 bits and then click on "EXPORT" this will send the bmp file to your desktop.

4 - now open your DXTbmp app. in the upper left clock file then open, this will show you all the images on your desk top. > click on the bmp image you sent to desktop, then open, it will appear on DXTbmp.

5- again go to file and choose "save as" this will give you a drop down that will have DDS Texture along with some other options > click DDS texture > the file name will be on this new window but you will not see your image > change the image name so you will not confuse your new DDS image it with the bmp that is alerady on your desktop. > click on "save" and it will send the DDS image to your desktop.
6 - from the desktop you can cut the DDS image and paste it into you picture file or wherever else you want it. > you must now name the image in the correct WOFF code such as off_Fokker_DVII_ace_t_Jasta 13 1918_Hans_Butthead.
7- I usually make a copy before cutting the DDS and pasteing it in the WOFF skin folder. You can, of course put the image directly into the skin folder from desktop but I like the extra step.

This procedure should give you a DDS file of the correct size. I know it looks like a lot of step but it is very easy and becomes second nature and intuitive after a few times.

Holler if you have trouble and I or someone smarter will get back to you.

Jerry H

Fullofit offered up some useful tips for using GIMP:
Originally Posted by Fullofit

Here are some tips/shortcuts for GIMP. You can zoom in and out by using the "+" and "-" keys on the keypad. I find it faster than selecting and switching the mode from the menu. For the part where you were cutting out the background behind the cupcake you can press the "Delete" key instead of edit/cut from the right-click menu. When scaling the cupcake, you can use the "scale tool" from the long toolbox on the left side. This will give you a preview of the object as you scale it, instead of guessing by typing in the scale value. Finally, when duplicating the cupcake, I suggest to duplicate layer. This way you will avoid accidentally moving the first cupcake, like it happened in the "fast forward" sequence. You can also move the second cupcake directly down by pressing the directional arrow keys - should help with precise positioning.

I decided I wanted to come up with a new paint scheme for Rick Rawlings flying the N17.

I wanted an alternating red/black pattern on the cowl, but had no idea how to divide it. So I added some color swatches to help define where things were going to be:
[Linked Image]
I was then able to use the ruler in GIMP to come up with a cowl that works pretty well:
[Linked Image]
You'll notice that despite my measuring it, the bars are still not evenly spaced:
[Linked Image]
For more on that, see Olham's tip below!

Then I decided I did not like the basic white body paint and wanted to do something different. I figured gray would be cool, so I painted (on a new layer, natch!) the body gray:
[Linked Image]
Yikes! That looks terrible! But, by using the Layer properties and layer opacity (circled in orange above), I can get some cool effects. Multiply produced this:
[Linked Image]
Nice! But I decided to go with Subtract:
[Linked Image]
That gives it a nice cool charcoal appearance that looks like this in game:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You can raid other skins and cut and paste them into the one you are working on. Here's a brilliant Albatros by RAF Louvert:

[Linked Image]

And here is his explanation of how he got the upper wing to work:

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

OK Rick, here goes. Just remember you asked.

In order to keep all the subtle wing detail and texture I chose not to do the stripes as an opaque overlay but rather as a colored layer of the existing top wing found in the WOFF Alb skins. To do this I first grabbed a clip of the red top wing surface from MvR�s Alb found in the �WOFF� skins folder. Using copies of this clip I then changed the hue and the intensity to achieve the yellow and blue I wanted for this project, placing the yellow layer on top of the blue layer.

Next, working in a transparent layer, on top of the yellow layer, I snapped the edges of the diagonals using 2-pixel-wide lines in the same average color as the blue layer beneath. I laid out these lines for the portside first then duplicated the layer and flipped it horizontally in order to have a mirrored layout. I then made minor adjustments to both of these layers until the point of the center inverted �V� was exactly in the middle of the wing and slightly back from the leading edge. After this I merged the two layer together, saved a copy of the merged layer for the �just in case� scenario, and then merged the �lines� layer onto the yellow layer. At this point I had a yellow top wing with narrow blue diagonal lines on it.

Now comes the magic. Using the �wand� tool, I highlighted the areas that I did not want yellow in this layer and simply deleted them. Viola! You have a top wing that has alternating blue and yellow diagonal stripes and you still have all the subtle details and textures. BTW, I did the 2-pixel-wide lines in blue so that any tiny bits left behind by the �wand� tool would not be seen as they would match the blue layer beneath.

I then added another transparent layer to snap the narrow black dividing lines between the colors. A few adjustments to color intensity and the top wing stripes were done, or so I thought until I took a test run in the sim and found all the wrap distortions on the wing. At this point all a person can do is either scrap the idea altogether or start making minor adjustments until the distortions are nullified. I went with the latter option as I am a glutton for punishment.

I should mention that the crosses and aileron hinges were laid on top of the finished wing in their own layers so that I could fine tune the placement of these items.

A lot of work indeed, but outstanding results. Here's how the texture looked in the .dds file:
[Linked Image]
You'll notice there are some places that are offset. This is because the model is not perfectly smooth, so there is some distortion. You could play around with it for a bit, or you could try Olham's idea:

Originally Posted by Olham
A tip for those who are getting desperate with distortions:
if you can work with layers, you could copy milimeter- or math paper from a web pic,
and put it on the wings and fuselage. Either half transparent, or, if you can't do
that, you must cut it so, that you still recognise enough of the underlying skin parts.

Over that layer, you work out your paint job.
Now make a DDS-file from that, go into WOFF and make screenshots from all angles.
Make corrections and repeat that proceedure.
When everything is fine, switch off the math layer or delete it.
That may help you to aligne the stripes correctly (although with my "Quillfish" Alb
I gave up at some point and thought "What the hell...!")

So, if you took Olham's advice, you could find a pattern on line like this:
[Linked Image]

If you put that as a texture over your basic Nieuport skin, you would get this:
[Linked Image]
Interesting, but if you drop the opacity and change the layers properties, you get this:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These should help you line up some of the peculiar bumps and protrusions of your 3D model overlaid by a 2D skin... then just delete the grid layer when you are done!

Here, Cavaliere57 talks about selecting and changing colors directly, and uses Photoshop to do so:

Originally Posted by Cavaliere57
Rick asked me to explain a couple of things after i published my Camel skin, in the screenshot thread, here we go.
I use Photoshop CS6 64bit,but it applies with most all versions of Photoshop,except probably those prior to the CS series but only because something has changed in the Tools menu,basically they relocated something here and there.

Here is the basic Camel skin from which to start
[Linked Image]

starting from the background layer (the only one present at this point)select the upper wings and elevator surfaces
[Linked Image]

now with Ctrl-V copy the selection,and then Ctrl-C to paste it as a new layer,rename it as you wish,I use parts names
[Linked Image]

as you can see we have a new layer with only upper wings/elevator surfaces ( I have disabled the background layer to have a better view of it)
[Linked Image]

with the new layer active,from Selection menu,reselect again
[Linked Image]

from the Image menu,select the Substitute Color Tool
[Linked Image]

from the Substitute Color mask,clicking on the upper thumbnail,activate the color picker
[Linked Image]

point it to the brown on the wing
[Linked Image]

you now have a working color selection to work from,move the slider to the right to catch all the brown hues
[Linked Image]

now moving the lower sliders,get the color you aim for,desaturate always a bit and do not brighten too much,instead go for darker shades
[Linked Image]

now go again and select the lower wing/elevator surfaces,on a new layer, and chenge their color as well
[Linked Image]

we now have Green wings and light azure lower surfaces
[Linked Image]

From the Background layer,using the Lasso Tool instead of the previous Rectangular Selection Tool,select the lower fuselage section,as always Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V to paste as a new layer,name it and go changin' the color again,but this time keep active the lower wings layer,so to match colors
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

repeat the process with the rudders
[Linked Image]

we now have a Camel with green body/wings and azure lower surfaces,and five more layers thumbsup
[Linked Image]

starting always from Background layer,select (wit Round Selection Tool) the wheel,and repeat all the process
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now select with Rectangul selection Tool,the engine cowling,copy and paste as new layer,rename it,and create stripes like these,with the Rectangular selection tool,and color them as the fuselage
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

et voila,our Camel is nearly ready to go
[Linked Image]

Let's add an emblem and some text
[Linked Image]

save as .dds directly from Photoshop
[Linked Image]

and here we are!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sometimes layers can save you in a different way...
Here's the Amerispad skin I was working on for my latest challenge:
[Linked Image]
I spent quite a bit of time working on it and liked the basic idea, but when I looked at it in game, I was getting this:
[Linked Image]
It's not terrible, but it's just a bit too garish, too primary colors... Now I could go back and re-tune all the color layers, but I asked myself what I wanted to accomplish, and I decided I just wanted to take it down a notch, just de-saturate a bit on the added colors. So I created a new layer and put a bit of tan over the other colors:
[Linked Image]
Then by dropping the opacity of the new layer waaaaaay down, I got this:
[Linked Image]
In game, that looks like this:
[Linked Image]

which was much closer to what I wanted in the first place. Using a couple of layers like this, you could add progressive grime as you plane ages, if you want the ultimate realism, which that flag skin certainly isn't! rofl

Nietzsche just revealed a fantastic new camel skin:
[Linked Image]

Here's how he did it:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche

Well, I use the Gimp. First Thing I do is, "cutting out" everything and turning the Parts into different Layers (makes future Modifications more easy). Then I turn all of it into a Grey "Color" of the same Brightness. If I want to add a little Depth here and there, I play around with Color-Curves. Then I rebrush everything, that I don't want (Stripes, Numbers etc.).
Next, I multiply the Layers and tint them.
After that, one can use different "Eraser-Rubbers" to get a Pattern, or one can sharply cut out Areas for Stripes or so.
When finished, I combine all the Color-Layers and use a fuzzy Brush to erase some of the Color, so it gets grey again - looks like the Paint-Job is peeling off here and there.
In the End, you can finish your Texture "by Hand" with a bit extra Mud, or Ornaments or whatever you like.
If you want good Camo-Colors, use light Versions of Brown, Green and Yellow, fade away most of the Color and add a Bit of Blue into them.
I hope, that helped a little.

Here's more Nietzsche goodness!

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
Okay, I've tried to make a Tutorial about Layers and Transparency for the Gimp. I hope, that I managed to make it understandable for those, who are relatively new to the Gimp as well (that was my focus)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

end result:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Olham

I have researched the German Lozenge camouflage a bit (mostly at [b][color:#000099]THE AERODROME[/color][/b] website).
I also saw Lozenge fabric on a Halberstadt tailplane in the BERLINER TECHNIKMUSEUM, and took a photo.

From what I have found, I have then made 5-colour and 4-colour Lozenge fabric for both, upper and lower surfaces.
Lozenge camo was screen-printed on endless panels of canvas with a width of ca. 4.5 feet (if I remember that correct).

My 'panels' here are layed out horizontally, but on an aircaft wing they were used "vertically", or better: in flight-direction.
Everyone can copy and use my Lozenge camo for their own skins - enjoy the skinning!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 11/20/19 03:32 AM.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#3999000 - 08/21/14 07:53 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Nice job Rick I'm sure it will be easier to follow then documents.
Thanks.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#3999014 - 08/21/14 08:24 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Freiherr_Wulff Offline
OFF Gives you WINGS!
Freiherr_Wulff  Offline
OFF Gives you WINGS!

Dudley UK
Interesting popcorn Good job thumbsup exitstageleft

Excuse my grammar please. I struggle writing English

Patience is not a virtue, Its a waste of time.

Wings Over Flanders Fields Pics/Videos on my Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/VonWulf

#3999169 - 08/22/14 03:58 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Thanks, guys!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#3999339 - 08/22/14 01:07 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Polovski]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Originally Posted By: Polovski
Nice job Rick I'm sure it will be easier to follow then documents.
Thanks.

Yeah, even a bonehead like me was able to make a skin.

#4000221 - 08/24/14 02:13 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Slick Wilhelm Offline
Slick Wilhelm  Offline

Rochester, MN
I need some help, please. I'm wanting to paste a purple heart onto the fuselage of my Pfalz, but all the .jpg files I find on the internet are hearts on a white or black background. The Pfalz fuselage is gray.

In gimp, is there a way to "lift" the heart off its white background and paste it onto the fuselage. The way I've tried so far, with mixed results, is to paste the the .jpg onto the fuselage as a new layer, then try to erase the white part around the heart. This is tedious and difficult. Thus, I'm hoping that there is a much easier way to accomplish this.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

I7-9700k@4.9 GHZ
16 GB RAM
GTX 2080 8 GB VRAM
2 x 1 TB SSD
32" Dell S3220DGF curved gaming monitor @ 2560 x 1440p @ 165 Hz
Sound BlasterX G6 External USB sound card
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones
Thrustmaster TM16000 FCS HOTAS
Logitec Pro Flight Pedals
TrackIR 5
#4000268 - 08/24/14 03:35 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Slick, once you paste your heart in as a new layer, use the "magic wand" tool which looks, well, kind of like a magic wand! It is up by the lasso looking tool at the top of your tool dock. Touch the white area once and that should select all the white. Then right click and cut and it should be gone, with maybe some minimal erasure cleanup after. Let me know if that works or makes sense...

#4000340 - 08/24/14 06:19 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Slick Wilhelm Offline
Slick Wilhelm  Offline

Rochester, MN
Thanks Rick! Your instructions worked perfectly. Great tutorial, too. I would be hopelessly lost without it. salute

I7-9700k@4.9 GHZ
16 GB RAM
GTX 2080 8 GB VRAM
2 x 1 TB SSD
TrackIR 5
#4000450 - 08/24/14 10:29 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Glad it worked! thumbsup

#4000729 - 08/25/14 05:09 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

I must be a bigger bone head.....still failed...

#4000757 - 08/25/14 06:21 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: gaw1]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted By: gaw1
I must be a bigger bone head.....still failed...

give us a bit on what's happening and we'll see if we can talk you through it!

#4000929 - 08/26/14 01:48 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Slick, you can also open the image "as layer", scale it to the size you want, right click on image, "layer", "transparency", "color to alpha". Whalah, only the image is left.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4000934 - 08/26/14 01:57 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
pixelbaron Offline
pixelbaron  Offline

Florida
You could also use Select by Color

Always a million different ways to do something in these kinds of programs.

#4002371 - 08/29/14 01:19 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Slick Wilhelm Offline
Slick Wilhelm  Offline

Rochester, MN
Wow, thanks MFair and pixelbaron! What an educational thread this is. yep

I7-9700k@4.9 GHZ
16 GB RAM
GTX 2080 8 GB VRAM
2 x 1 TB SSD
TrackIR 5
#4011647 - 09/19/14 02:34 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I got stickied! Woot! Woot! Thanks, whatever magical forum-powers-that-be that did that!

#4011740 - 09/19/14 09:19 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

(this is for Photoshop or similar programs)

gaw, if you have more than one layer, make sure the layer you want to work on
is the activated one. Otherwise you cannot work on it's content.

If you have inserted a JPEG or whatever, and want to delete the white surrounding
your object:
- highlight the layer in the "layers" menue
- select the white with the "magic wand", and delete it with "delete"

It is also possible in Photoshop to open a JPEG or other picture, unlock the layer
in the "layers" menue (which puts the image over a transparent background now),
and then select and delete the white.
The image you now have - let's say a purple heart over a transparent background -
can be saved as a GIF format. A GIF allows transparency.

Now you could always copy and paste that Purple Heart GIF into any skin works,
and it should show no white surrounding.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4012087 - 09/20/14 02:22 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

thumbsup

What a Great little thread

#4012764 - 09/22/14 12:53 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
Anyone know where the compass texture is for German planes?Fokker EI to be exact if they are different for the different models.

#4012800 - 09/22/14 03:31 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

The interior model uses different textures from the exterior skin, as I'm sure you know. I haven't found them yet. Please post if you find them first! thumbsup

#4013046 - 09/22/14 05:48 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
I searched every file in the WOFF directory with no luck.Its no big deal as I just wanted to rotate the compass so that when I look at it I do not have to do the calculating in my noggin of where its actually pointing.

#4018618 - 10/06/14 05:34 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hey guys, updated the 1st post with some more information. Will add more as I get the time!

#4018621 - 10/06/14 06:10 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rover_27 Offline
Rover_27  Offline

Russia
Thanks for excellent tips. The charcoal Nieup is very beautiful

i5 2320, 3.3 GHz
GTX 560Ti, 4 GB graphics memory
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#4021400 - 10/12/14 11:40 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Alrighty...just downloaded Gimp and now am getting ready to watch the video.
Hopefully I'll be painting shortly. Always like a personal skin when I get 5 victories.
Kind of an award to myself especially since I don't often live that long.

EDIT: Very nice job on the video Rick. Even a graphics nit-wit like me should be able to do some passable work now.
Layers! Gotta remember to use layers!

#4021496 - 10/12/14 05:45 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Yes, forgetting to put everything in a new layer has caused me multiple headaches... also, don't forget that you can drag layers around in the layer dock to get the one you want on top, so if you can't see something, make sure that layer is above the others. Oh, and ask questions! We have some great artists on here and if you can think of something you want to try, they can point you in the right direction!

#4022037 - 10/14/14 05:06 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

New tip added on the first post...

#4023044 - 10/16/14 02:19 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

popcorn

Awsome, Gimp has a Ruler ? Now maybe I can paint a strait Line. thumbsup

#4023095 - 10/16/14 05:29 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Ha! carrick, I covered the hold-shift left click line drawing technique in the video! neaner

#4023186 - 10/16/14 01:36 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
The layer thing is working just fine though I find paint.net a little easier to use perhaps as I did a few skin mods in the OFF days.

One thing I am finding is with the opacity of colors on a layer. In the paint.net preview screen I give the color opacity so the original aircraft detail is still visible underneath. However in the sim the color looks quite solid with no detail visible.
Now this could be due to a million factors, lack of experience being A#1, but do you find in preview Gimp is more aucurate as to how the skin will look in-game? If you have any experience with both programs that is.

#4023305 - 10/16/14 06:09 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hey Duke, I've never used paint.net, I think Louvert does though, and he gets masterful results, as you can see on the first page. Maybe he'll see this and chime in. Perhaps there is a "commit" option you need to click to get the preview to show up on the final screen? From what I've seen, GIMP is pretty much a WYSIWYG kind of deal:

It pretty much shows up as it will in-game.

Maybe post some screens of what you are geeting in paint, vs. how it looks in game and we can help more?

-Rick

#4023412 - 10/16/14 09:10 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: DukeIronHand]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Thanks.
I will have to "over opaque" in paint.net I think or give Gimp another throw round.
More experience may also be beneficial!

#4024093 - 10/18/14 01:43 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Just a question for aircraft that have numbers on the side of the fuselage.

If I look at the Camel_sqd_t the fuselages point left and right and the number is easily visible - B6224
If I look at the Default_t_1916_Bri of the Sopwith 1½ strutter both fuselage sides point left and one of the sets of numbers is a mirror image of 9488.

So, firstly, why is this? Secondly how do we do mirror image letters and numbers in GIMP?

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#4024095 - 10/18/14 01:47 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: JimAttrill]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: JimAttrill

If I look at the Camel_sqd_t the fuselages point left and right and the number is easily visible - B6224
If I look at the Default_t_1916_Bri of the Sopwith 1½ strutter both fuselage sides point left and one of the sets of numbers is a mirror image of 9488.

So, firstly, why is this? Secondly how do we do mirror image letters and numbers in GIMP?

Jim You can cut out the fuselage and flip it horizontal so it is not mirror, do the lettering, and flip it back.
This is a very brief description but I think it will give you a lead. You can also create a mask layer and then generate the letters and then flip it horizontal to get mirror image and then place it appropriately

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4024096 - 10/18/14 01:50 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Thanks I'll give it a try. I want to create the most famous Camel of all - B6313

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#4024136 - 10/18/14 04:31 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: JimAttrill]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Thanks I'll give it a try. I want to create the most famous Camel of all - B6313

That camel was already created by me in OFF and now it exists in WOFF. In all it's variants
I believe it is still available as a download from CA

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 10/18/14 04:32 PM.

(System_Specs)

#4082115 - 02/22/15 01:07 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: JimAttrill]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY

Sorry I'm jumping in late on this thread...

Always remember, you make the skin to fit the model. However the model is set to map to the skin position is how you have to setup the detail and additional artwork of the skin template. So there are many trips to the drome to take to test everything out that you add in.

OvS

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4084199 - 02/26/15 01:49 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Thanks for this tutorial Rick.
I've taken my first tentative steps with a custom skin as a result.

#4084244 - 02/26/15 02:45 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Good for you, man! It can be addictive! Make sure you start a new thread to introduce your pilot and your skin, we love PICS! salute

#4084581 - 02/27/15 01:00 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
My first attempt is really basic. Not worth a new thread. I have simply extended 54 squadron's themes (Number and Initials) to my pilot, painted the rear part of the cowling and added a ring to the wheels for ease of identification.

There are scratches that I have painted in to the panels that really don't show. It's a really simple skin, but it is my first, so that's what you would expect. I hope anyway. biggrin

#4084734 - 02/27/15 06:30 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

That looks very convincing, it really ties the room together! Much better than my first effort... keep up the great work, Maeran. thumbsup

#4086051 - 03/01/15 10:58 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Help! I'm trying to complete my first skin and I've watched the skinning tutorial and when he gets to the part where he is saving his skin in GIMP to the extended bmp, he selects it from a drop-down menu that has a number of extension options. My problem is when I try to do that in GIMP I only have about 4 options and I definitely don't have the Windows bmp option. What do I do?

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4086055 - 03/01/15 11:04 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I forgot to mention, I'm using GIMP 2.8.

#4086105 - 03/02/15 01:23 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hey SOGriffin

You actually want to click "File" and then "Export", not save, then all those options will be available!

Also, make sure you click "Advanced Options" and save it at 24 bit:

Hope that helps! Show us a picture when you are done!

salute

#4086136 - 03/02/15 02:59 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Thanks Rick, I was able to save the file, but now in the game when I select my skin it doesn't select it.

#4086142 - 03/02/15 03:22 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Ok, so once you saved it as a windows bitmap, you opened it in dxtbmp and saved as a.dds file in the correct folder following the naming convention? Talk me through what you've done a bit and we'll see if we can get you back on track...

#4086146 - 03/02/15 03:35 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
That was the strangest thing, I was able to save it as a DDS file into the correct folder but when I would select it for my pilot it would assign a different skin. I had saved it with my pilot's name and so on a whim I changed it to my real name and that worked. I'm really puzzled by this one. Anyway, I've included a screenshot of my first skin. It's real simple, I just took the standard skin for Jasta 1 and added an emblem.

#4086147 - 03/02/15 03:37 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
In case I've forgotten, thanks for the tutorial. It really helped a lot and has gotten me excited about creating some original skins. When you save them, do you save them under your character's name or under a totally different naming convention?

#4086154 - 03/02/15 04:37 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I'm glad it worked for you, that looks like a great start! Honestly, I don't really understand the naming convention, sometimes it works for me sometimes not. I just pick an ace's name with the same plane in the same squad and erase his name and put mine, even preserving the underscores. Maybe Olham or someone who has a better handle on what's important will chime in. Keep us posted on your progress!

#4087764 - 03/04/15 11:11 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Hey Rick, check out my new skin for my pilot flying for Jasta 4. He is from a minor noble family in Silesia and I thought it would be cool to include the lower Silesian coat of arms since he is from Gorlitz. Anyway, what do you think?

#4087787 - 03/05/15 12:28 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

That looks great! Size and centering look good, color palette fits nicely, well done sir! thumbsup

#4087801 - 03/05/15 01:09 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Thanks, part of the role playing for me is to use the default skin for the Jasta and assume that my pilot would start with that. Anyway, I've definitely been bitten by the skinning bug.

#4087808 - 03/05/15 01:32 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
SOGriffin;

Lovely skin and at leas for awhile you will lose some flying time to your new hobby.....skinning!! biggrin

(System_Specs)

#4093279 - 03/17/15 08:28 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
It's been a long while since I've done any skinning, but last night I gave it another go. I modified a Jasta 5 Albatros. I opened it with DXT Bitmap & passed it on to Photoshop CS3, did the work, and saved it back to the OFF Skins folder as a .dds. But it won't show up in the skins list in Quick Combat. So I dragged it to the desktop and put it in the WOFF Skins. Still...no go. Here what I titled it. Any ideas on why it doesn't want to show?

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 5 1917_Hauksbee.dds

Once we get this sorted, is it possible to preface the Skin title with *, or _, so it appears at the top of the list? (t'would save search time since there's a lot of them.)

Last edited by Hauksbee; 03/17/15 08:34 PM.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4093460 - 03/18/15 06:05 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Well, there's a couple of possibilities here. One is you may have modded a DVa (for example) skin but labeled it something different and then selected the wrong Albatros type in the QC menu... I have done that before. Try picking some of the other Albatros types and see if it shows up. I have also done everything correctly and it still didn't work. If you can't find it as one of the other Albatros types, delete it from both skins folders, restart your computer and run it through DXTBMP saving it in the campaign skins folder and run WOFF again. Let us know if either of those work and we can take it from there!

#4093473 - 03/18/15 07:53 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Rick_Rawlings
Well, there's a couple of possibilities here. One is you may have modded a DVa (for example) skin but labeled it something different and then selected the wrong Albatros type in the QC menu... I have done that before. Try picking some of the other Albatros types and see if it shows up. I have also done everything correctly and it still didn't work. If you can't find it as one of the other Albatros types, delete it from both skins folders, restart your computer and run it through DXTBMP saving it in the campaign skins folder and run WOFF again. Let us know if either of those work and we can take it from there!

Thanks, Rick. I've already checked every Alb. variant. It doesn't show up at all. I'll delete and run DXT Bitmap tomorrow.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4093553 - 03/18/15 01:45 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Maybe exit WOFF and try again to refresh the skins list?

Last edited by Polovski; 03/18/15 01:48 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4093598 - 03/18/15 04:19 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
One thing I have noticed is that WOFF is very particular on how the skin is named.
For example I put DIH in the name of the skin and it would not show in-game. Showed in the list, and was selectable but it would not appear in flightt - the default skin would.
I had to change it to D I H (just as an example) to get it show actually in flight.

#4093832 - 03/19/15 05:08 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Hauksbee]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Hauksbee

Thanks, Rick. I've already checked every Alb. variant. It doesn't show up at all. I'll delete and run DXT Bitmap tomorrow.

It doesn't look like it wants to work. I dragged it from the OFF Skins, to the Desktop, launched DXT Bitmap, chose Adobe CS3 as the Editor, sent the .dds skin to Photoshop, then saved the Photoshop back to WOFF Skins as .dds. When I go to QC there are only four personal skins listed, plus a dozen or so which are just by Jasta and date.

Last edited by Hauksbee; 03/19/15 05:09 AM.

#4093833 - 03/19/15 05:25 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hauksbee, if you can, send me the bitmap file and I will see if I can get it to work. I sent you the address in a pm.

#4094149 - 03/19/15 11:49 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Ok, Wow, made some headway for you, Hauksbee...

Good and bad news. Sometimes you have to add the file to the skin folder, run WOFF, take it out, run it again and put it back before it will work, I have no idea why...

Here's what I got to:

Which gave me the default Albatros skin the first time but when I went through the above rigamarole, it worked!

Now, you'll notice things don't quite line up... so I did some investigating and it looks like you used an Albatros DIII as your base skin, which does not line up with the DV series base skins, especially in the wheels...
If you use something like Irfanview, you can cycle through the Albatros skins and you will see the components are not all in the same spot on the template...
So, a quick rename later produced this:

which looks like this:

if you wanted to continue the texture onto the top of the fuselage (which I am suspecting you do) from looking at the bottom picture, I think you can see what you need to fix.

So, here's what you can do...
Enjoy your Albatros DIII career by renaming your skin :

Off_Alb_DIII_OAW_t_Jasta 5 1917_Hauksbee

Or, through some clever cutting and pasting, you can transfer your skin to the DV skin you want, in which case I named it:

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 5 1917_Hauksbee_1

Remember, from Photoshop, you want to export it to a Windows Bitmap at 24 bits, run it in DXTBMP and save as a .dds to

Phew... let me know if that makes sense...or works!

salute

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 03/20/15 12:44 AM.

#4094181 - 03/20/15 01:50 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Remember, from Photoshop, you want to export it to a Windows Bitmap at 24 bits, run it in DXTBMP and save as a .dds to Skins.
Phew... let me know if that makes sense...or works!

That was some fancy footwork, Rick. Thank you very, very much. This morning, I also noticed that I had forgotten to continue the stripping over the top deck. (asleep at the switch)

Your instructions seem pretty straightforward. I'll jump on this tomorrow and report back. Thanks again!

#4094186 - 03/20/15 02:23 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

No problem, I really like the design, can't wait to see it finished!

#4094194 - 03/20/15 03:13 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Remember, from Photoshop, you want to export it to a Windows Bitmap at 24 bits, run it in DXTBMP and save as a .dds to Skins.

Forgot to ask if it is absolutely necessary to export from Photoshop at 24bit Bit Map, then run it thru DXTBitmap to a .dds, when it's possible to Save As .dds from Photoshop itself. This is what I was doing before, and might be part of my problem.

#4094200 - 03/20/15 03:55 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Yeah, I would try running it through dxtbmp and see if it works more consistently.

#4094950 - 03/21/15 07:28 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Rick:

'Near as I can see, you can't Export from Photoshop as a 24-bit Bitmap. The choices I get on Export are:
Data Sets As Files... (grayed out)
Paths to Illustrator...
Render Video...
Send Video Preview to Device...
Video Preview...
Zoomify...

If I settle for a simple 'Save As Bitmap" will that be 24 bit?

#4094959 - 03/21/15 07:52 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I think so...I do everything in GIMP. Try it and see if it works... thumbsup

#4095098 - 03/22/15 07:36 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Well...I finished the skin. I made two .dds files, one each with the naming suggestions you offered. Nothing shows in the lists. I tried taking one out, leaving the other. Then launching WOFF, closing out, re-starting and checking. No go. Did a re-start of the computer. Still nothing. Where to...?

#4095124 - 03/22/15 11:01 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Hauksbee;

I'm coming late to this thread but you could try this to help narrow down the problem.
Take one of your .dds files and rename it to exactly the same as an "HA" that already exists, but append the number 2 as the last character in the name.It should now show up in the list.

Also make sure that the squadron you are planning to use it in actually has this type of aircraft or it won't show up in the list.

If you have already tried this, then I suspect there is some problem with the rendering of the .dds file and that it is not the proper .dds type.

Hope this helps

(System_Specs)

#4095196 - 03/22/15 02:07 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hauksbee,shoot them back to me at that same email address and I will try to get them running and then send them back to you!
salute

#4095287 - 03/22/15 06:58 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Take one of your .dds files and rename it to exactly the same as an "HA" that already exists, but append the number 2 as the last character in the name.It should now show up in the list. Also make sure that the squadron you are planning to use it in actually has this type of aircraft or it won't show up in the list.

Greetings, Robert. I am sad to report that I came a cropper on your suggestions too. First, this is a Jasta 5 skin. In QC I have the date set at 1917. I've got my area set to Flanders, the airfield Boistrancourt. (Jasta 5 flew out of Boistrancourt from March 11, 1917...for a year.)

I tried re-naming my skin with the text from a HA, Kurt Student. I appended the '_2'. No go. Tried doing a re-start. Nothing.

I find it odd that when I choose a D.V, and go to skin it, there are no Jasta 5's on the list. Here's all that shows:
Jasta 12 Adolph von Tutschek
Jasta 21 Eduard Ritter von Schleich
Jasta 27 Hermann Goring
Jasta 32 Rudolph Windisch
Then a list of Jastas only: 10/12/13/17/17 19172/21/27/32/ & Default

I then decided to modify with a name that did show up in the lists. I named my skin with the text from Eduard Ritter von Schleich (_2) It too, did not appear among the WOFF skins. Playing a long-shot, I added it to the OFF skins. Still nothing. Did another re-start. All same-same.

Rick: I will be sending on my original Photoshop doc., plus the Eduard von Schleich_2 doc. Thanks, guys.

#4095333 - 03/22/15 09:28 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Whew, OK, Hauksbee, don't feel too bad, I had a nightmare getting this to work, so it's not just you. One thing I noticed if you want to use this as a DV, you still have an Albatros DIII skin as your base, so when I loaded it as an Albatros DV skin, it looked like this:

You can see where the arrows above point to, the textures don't match up. Here's why:

As you can see, your wheel texture is located where the DIII wheel is on the right, not where the DV wheel is in the middle.
When I loaded it up as a DIII, it looked great!

What I would do is to open up any DV skin in Photoshop and then (in new layers of course!) cut and paste your elements over where the DV elements are. Everything should be ok then.

Now, for a couple of thigs...

1) I used your .bmp, so the 24 bit thing shouldn't be a problem.

2) When you dxtbmp it, make sure you save it in this format:

3) With all of that, I still had a hell of a time getting it to register in game (no problem selecting it, it just wouldn't be that skin when I loaded) I've had this happen a lot with my own skins. I would put it in the folder, run the game, take it out, run the game again, put it back...blah. What I think finally worked was that I tried to select it, exited the mission when it wasn't the right skin, went back to the main menu, alt-tabbed out of the game, renamed it in the skins folder ( I just changed the squad number) and then ran it and it finally worked! So don't give up, the file is OK, it's almost like you have to fool the game into selecting the new skin and then everything is cool.

4. Also, working with Albatroses is difficult, because the name in the game is different from the skin name. So an uprated DV in the game is a DV 200 skin (or vice verse, can't remember). You're right, there aren't that many DV ace skins and none of them from Jasta 5. When you make the changes to the skin above, just name it in a squad that has aces in it (so off_Alb_DV_Ace_t_Jasta 10 1917_Hauksbee, for example) and it should work. After doing all the tricks I said above, of course! thumbsup

I'm going to send you back the .dds as an Albatros DIII so you can at least enjoy your hard work. Put it in the campaigns/skins folder and let me know if it works!

RR

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 03/23/15 01:36 PM.

#4097731 - 03/27/15 05:50 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Well, I'm back to it, and still no success. This time I decided to take a skin that was already in the list and modify it. I chose Werner Voss. I opened the Voss skin, then opened mine, and copied the top 4/5 and pasted it into Voss. Then saved it as DDS DXT1 (No Alpha) and went to QC. My "Voss" skin does not appear. Tried re-starting. No go. I continued to work at it and things got stranger. I found it difficult to find the skin I wanted in DXT Bitmap. The little bitty search window only displays three names at a time and it got tedious (quickly) paging through them. Plus, I couldn't be absolutely certain that I got them all. So I opened the C: drive so I could see the skins in a full page format, and dragged all the Voss skins to a folder on the desktop. I re-made the Voss/Hauksbee skin and re-inserted it into the skins folder. It is now the only one. 'Went to QC>Field and there's an Alb. with a Jasta 2 skin! Even though both Jasta 2's are on the desktop. I pulled my skin out. Now there are no Voss skins at all. Went to the Field and there it was again: Jasta 2. For some reason, my skin is invisible even though I did not alter the naming at all. In fact, that was why I chose Voss in the first place: just do a quick paste-in and save it back. How would the game know I had even been there?

Other oddities are; There's a Jasta 5 skin, and a Jasta 29 skin listed for Voss in QC, but those skins do not appear in the skins folder. Furthur, there are names that appear in the skins folder, like Bruno Loezer (always loved that skin) who do not appear in the QC queue, no matter which D.III variant you chose. Is Loezer chooseable at all?

So...that's the current state of my confusion.

#4097733 - 03/27/15 06:13 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hey, Hauksbee, skin looks great! If you look under the aircraft folder you will see that each aircraft has some default skins, that is probably where the game is pulling them from. My recommendation at this point is to post some detailed screenshots of what you are naming things and where you are putting them. That might help us track down the problem. None of the files you have sent me have been bad, so I am guessing a naming or placing error cheers

#4098238 - 03/28/15 01:29 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Rick: Not sure what you mean by "under the aircraft folder". Where is that? Recall that I pulled all the Voss skins out of "Skins" and stashed them in a desktop folder. Then I put one back and altered it. Did not change the file name in any way. Then I launched WOFF and tried to QC with each of the D.III variants. Instead of getting my skin, WOFF chose a Jasta 14 skin every time. Where is that coming from? It's in the desktop folder! My Voss skin is not being stored in the "Default" folder either. I launched each of the D.III's with Default skins. They're all different. That only leaves us with 'placement error'. How to unravel that?

#4098366 - 03/28/15 02:04 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hey Hauksbee, this is where you are putting your skin and where you have pulled them from:

Now, if you look at this path:

you will notice that each aircraft has a "default" folder which I believe is where the game pulls the texture from if there is something "wrong" with the skin you call for. So I think that is where you are getting your textures from. Now in game, you should be seeing something like this in the QC:

So if you can select the skin you want from the pulldown box, it means that the "naming" of it is correct. The reason it shows up as a different skin in game is...something I have never figured out. I suspect there is some log file that has to be overwritten that keeps your last skin memorized for speed...maybe? Perhaps a dev or someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in. If you are getting to this point, try the tip I outlined above:

Originally Posted By: Rick Rawlings
With all of that, I still had a hell of a time getting it to register in game (no problem selecting it, it just wouldn't be that skin when I loaded) I've had this happen a lot with my own skins. I would put it in the folder, run the game, take it out, run the game again, put it back...blah. What I think finally worked was that I tried to select it, exited the mission when it wasn't the right skin, went back to the main menu, alt-tabbed out of the game, renamed it in the skins folder ( I just changed the squad number) and then ran it and it finally worked! So don't give up, the file is OK, it's almost like you have to fool the game into selecting the new skin and then everything is cool.

It's a pain, but once it works once, you shouldn't have any further problems. Let me know if that works or if I am right on where you are in the process!

R

#4099277 - 03/30/15 06:16 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
...if you can select the skin you want from the pulldown box, it means that the "naming" of it is correct. The reason it shows up as a different skin in game is...something I have never figured out. I suspect there is some log file that has to be overwritten that keeps your last skin memorized for speed...maybe? Perhaps a dev or someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Back again. First, it's not a matter of selecting the skin I want, and then having a different one appear in the game. In your pulldown box, you have "Hauksbee" appearing. I can't get that far. Second, for the D.III skins, you have a significently different list of pilots. My list is:
Lowenhardt
Voss
v. Richtofen
Voss
Sturm
Strobel
Nathanel
Rumey

It's as though we're dealing from two different decks. And then there are the pilots that I know are in the Skins List, but never appear in the pulldown. Like Bruno Loezer. What's with that?

I thought I might be able to do an end-run around this jinx by simply doing another skin. I did a Dr.1 (Kempf's "kennst mi'noch") I went through the same process (1) Do the skin, changing only my name for his. No go. (2) Keep the name untouched, and paste my skin over his. Nothing there either.

I feel that somehow, my Skins Folder is not playing by the same set of rules as everyone else's.

#4099282 - 03/30/15 06:30 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hmm, you should be putting them in the folder from my top screenshot... the blahblahblah/CampaignData/skins folder. If you are, it should appear in the pulldown box if you a) named it in an acceptable format (which I would guess you did if you just copied another ace name) and b) the name agrees with the type of skin you selected i.e. trying to select a DIII early when you named it as DIII updated. If all those things check out, you may want to try a fresh install? Sounds like a pain, but this seems unusually difficult...

#4099491 - 03/31/15 04:43 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
It's looking like you're right: a re-install is the way to go. Just to be sure I've got this right (and perhaps belaboring the obvious into the bargain) you're not (are you?) suggesting me putting my skins in the "aircraft" folder? The Campaign>campaign data>skins is the right choice? Because that's where they've all gone...back to where I got them originally.

#4099512 - 03/31/15 07:10 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Correct, campaigndata/skins is where they should be. Good luck!

#4114850 - 05/02/15 03:12 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
As for Rick Rawlings request I post here my solution for Hauksbee skin problem.First error he made was the choice of texture file,he wanted to create an Alb DV "later" skin,but started out with an Alb D III "early" skin,and so incurred in wrong texture mapping over the 3D model,you can see it clearly from the screenshot:

you can see the mapping errors
now a screen with the DIII "early" and the same texture,it's perfect! smile2

then the main thing was to correct the file name he had this off_Alb_DV_later_Jasta 21 1917_Eduard Ritter von_Schleich_2.dds
WOFF does not like anything after "name_surname" statement,so off_Alb_DV_later_Jasta 21 1917_Eduard Ritter von_Schleich2.dds
that's it.
EDIT:
just a bit more advices,if you can, use Adobe Photoshop,and stick to version CS6 (64 bit for windows 7 64 bit users) that's because that way you can benefit from N'vidia Tools,for perfect conversion to .dds file type,you don't need an external format converter,you can open them directly from Photoshop and save them from there.Later versions (Creative Cloud or CC) are not supported anymore by N'Vidia Tools,so far so....another advice it's to grab Sagethumbs this simple software makes you visualize .dds files into Windows explorer as thumbnails,and right clicking it it displays a bigger image with all data about the texture file,very usefull,no need to external viewing softwares anymore.

Last edited by Cavaliere57; 05/02/15 03:23 PM.

" In vino veritas "
#4117995 - 05/08/15 07:27 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Hauksbee]  
Traveling_In_Mufti Offline
Traveling_In_Mufti  Offline

It's as though we're dealing from two different decks. And then there are the pilots that I know are in the Skins List, but never appear in the pulldown. Like Bruno Loezer. What's with that?

...I feel that somehow, my Skins Folder is not playing by the same set of rules as everyone else's.

(Hauksbee here) Getting back to my skinning problem, I believe the above quote holds, and I need a re-install. It worked when (for reasons unknown) I lost all the Albatros skins. On that occasion, I simply bought another copy of WOFF. Fool that I was, I did not make a back-up copy. Now I need one. I find on the WOFF Home Page that a Duplicate copy can be got for a $5.00 charge. But I don't see anything clickable to make this happen. Could someone point me in the right direction?

#4118086 - 05/08/15 11:00 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Traveling_In_Mufti]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
[/quote]

(Hauksbee here) Getting back to my skinning problem, I believe the above quote holds, and I need a re-install. It worked when (for reasons unknown) I lost all the Albatros skins. On that occasion, I simply bought another copy of WOFF. Fool that I was, I did not make a back-up copy. Now I need one. I find on the WOFF Home Page that a Duplicate copy can be got for a $5.00 charge. But I don't see anything clickable to make this happen. Could someone point me in the right direction? [/quote]

"NOTE : If you lose the file and wish a new download link to be generated we will require an admin fee of $5 per item. So please back it up! to save us time and you money!"

That's from the WOFF website
If you have the email they sent you for downloading,or a proof of your acquired copy of WOFF try to ask for a new download link it's that easy,and probably contacting Polowski will smooth things out ;-)
Also You did not even replied to my mail where I showed you that your skins worked fine on my WOFF,and asked about your WOFF version to try to understand what your problem could be,sometimes I feel that helping people out it's a waste of time.

" In vino veritas "
#4118329 - 05/09/15 04:20 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Cavaliere57]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Cavaliere57
[/quote]
Also You did not even replied to my mail where I showed you that your skins worked fine on my WOFF,and asked about your WOFF version to try to understand what your problem could be,sometimes I feel that helping people out it's a waste of time.

Cavaliere57: Please, accept my apologies. I did reply. First, you sent me five e-mails over a few days, some in response to my questions. The two most important were (1) you explained in detail that I had tried to put a D.V skin on a D.III, and that I had made serious mistakes in naming the file. Shortly after, you sent (2) an e-mail with 2.jpegs, one showing the skin on the wrong plane, and one on the right plane. Also you attached a copy (.dds) of my skin, properly named. I've had a lot on my plate in the last days here, and it took me a few days to get some quiet time to sit down with WOFF. First, I took the .dds copy you sent and dropped it in the Skins Folder. It does not show up in QC. I then re-opened the original file, made a few miniscule changes and saved out, being very careful to name properly according to your example. I did the same with a Dr.1 skin. Neither show up. At this point, I'm sure that my mistakes, bad as they might be, are not at the root of the problem. Both you and Rick Rawlings got the skins to work.

It was at this point that I e-mailed you back and attached the D.III and Dr.1 skins, asking you to test them for me. If you could drop them in your Skins Folder and have them work, that would be proof positive that I need a re-install. Somehow, regrettably, that e-mail has not gotten to you.

I understand you would be miffed at silence from my end, but it was accidental. Again, I apologize. I very much appreciate the help that you and Rick have given me.

Last edited by Hauksbee; 05/09/15 04:22 PM.

#4118330 - 05/09/15 04:26 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Yeah, sounds like a re-install is the best bet. That will give us a good clean slate to work with, if nothing else. I know it's a pain, but it will be good to see you get those lovely skins in the air!

#4118401 - 05/09/15 08:57 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Hauksbee]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Quote:

It was at this point that I e-mailed you back and attached the D.III and Dr.1 skins, asking you to test them for me. If you could drop them in your Skins Folder and have them work, that would be proof positive that I need a re-install. Somehow, regrettably, that e-mail has not gotten to you.

I understand you would be miffed at silence from my end, but it was accidental. Again, I apologize. I very much appreciate the help that you and Rick have given me.

Robert I sent you back screenshots with the DIII and DR1 skins perfectly working on my WOFF,I suppose that mail got missed somewhere? Anyway here they are:

" In vino veritas "
#4118453 - 05/09/15 11:41 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Thank you, Peter. The only thing I can think of is that it got sucked up in the SPAM filter. Since my ISP only saves 18-20 entries on a single page, there's no way to go back and look for it. Anyway, now I know that neither the skins nor the naming are at fault. I can get on with doing a re-install. Once again, I appreciate your help.

#4118568 - 05/10/15 11:47 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Hauksbee]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Thank you, Peter. The only thing I can think of is that it got sucked up in the SPAM filter. Since my ISP only saves 18-20 entries on a single page, there's no way to go back and look for it. Anyway, now I know that neither the skins nor the naming are at fault. I can get on with doing a re-install. Once again, I appreciate your help.

Yes I suppose you will have to do a clean reinstall,I don't see any other way to overcome this problem of yours.
Save your skins somewhere so you'll be able to reuse them later on.

" In vino veritas "
#4124956 - 05/26/15 10:26 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Rick asked me to explain a couple of things after i published my Camel skin,in the screenshot thread,here we go.
I use Photoshop CS6 64bit,but it applies with most all versions of Photoshop,except probably those prior to the CS series but only because something has changed in the Tools menu,basically they relocated something here and there.
*Part One*

Here is the basic Camel skin from wich to start

starting from the background layer (the only one present at this point)select the upper wings and elevator surfaces

now with Ctrl-V copy the selection,and then Ctrl-C to paste it as a new layer,rename it as you wish,I use parts names

as you can see we have a new layer with only upper wings/elevator surfaces ( I have disabled the background layer to have a better view of it)

with the new layer active,from Selection menu,reselect again

from the Image menu,select the Substitute Color Tool

from the Substitute Color mask,clicking on the upper thumbnail,activate the color picker

point it to the brown on the wing

you now have a working color selection to work from,move the slider to the right to catch all the brown hues

now moving the lower sliders,get the color you aim for,desaturate always a bit and do not brighten too much,instead go for darker shades

now go again and select the lower wing/elevator surfaces,on a new layer, and chenge their color as well

we now have Green wings and light azure lower surfaces

" In vino veritas "
#4124993 - 05/26/15 11:58 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
*Part Two*
From the Background layer,using the Lasso Tool instead of the previous Rectangular Selection Tool,select the lower fuselage section,as always Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V to paste as a new layer,name it and go changin' the color again,but this time keep active the lower wings layer,so to match colors

repeat the process with the rudders

we now have a Camel with green body/wings and azure lower surfaces,and five more layers thumbsup

starting always from Background layer,select (wit Round Selection Tool) the wheel,and repeat all the process

Now select with Rectangul selection Tool,the engine cowling,copy and paste as new layer,rename it,and create stripes like these,with the Rectangular selection tool,and color them as the fuselage

et voila,our Camel is nearly ready to go

Let's add an emblem and some text

save as .dds directly from Photoshop

and here we are!!

Last edited by Cavaliere57; 05/26/15 12:11 PM.

" In vino veritas "
#4127191 - 05/31/15 09:56 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Does anyone know how to get a skin to work for an aircraft that does not already have ace skins? I want to do one for my 'new' Aviatik BI.

#4127210 - 05/31/15 10:59 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Maeran]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: Maeran
Does anyone know how to get a skin to work for an aircraft that does not already have ace skins? I want to do one for my 'new' Aviatik BI.

Yes,it's in the naming of the file,this Camel for example was taken from the Squadron pool,no ace name,so the naming must be like this Off_Camel_ace_t_RNAS 8 1917_name_surname.dds
of course plane type,squadron and pilot name,can be of your choice,but you have to specify name_surname otherwise it will not work.This is for WOFF,in OFF was simpler than this, you could put whatever you liked in pilot's name.

" In vino veritas "
#4127220 - 05/31/15 11:33 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Thank you Cavalier57, it was the 'Off' part from the beginning of the name that I was missing. It works now!

#4127314 - 06/01/15 10:28 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Maeran]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: Maeran
Thank you Cavalier57, it was the 'Off' part from the beginning of the name that I was missing. It works now!

thumbsup

" In vino veritas "
#4172861 - 09/24/15 03:06 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Okay, I've tried to make a Tutorial about Layers and Transparency for the Gimp. I hope, that I managed to make it understandable for those, who are relatively new to the Gimp as well (that was my focus)

#4172891 - 09/24/15 03:53 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Neat, thanks.

#4173114 - 09/25/15 03:17 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

That's fantastic, when I'm not on my kindle, I will edit it into the first post, thanks!

#4173183 - 09/25/15 01:25 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Relieving smile
It is somewhat complicated: You want to explain something to someone, whom you don't see, and have no Idea, if anyone exept yourself understands, what you are saying mycomputer
...reminds me of this old Cartoonist-Joke:

How to draw an Owl:
Step 1: Draw some Circles - Step 2: Draw the rest of the f...... Owl

#4173775 - 09/26/15 09:25 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Edited you in, thanks Nietzsche!

#4177002 - 10/03/15 05:52 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Gents, I have not followed or even studied this thread, but I would like to contribute
something here for all the new "skinners".
I have researched the German Lozenge camouflage a bit (mostly at THE AERODROME website).
I also saw Lozenge fabric on a Halberstadt tailplane in the BERLINER TECHNIKMUSEUM, and took a photo.

From what I have found, I have then made 5-colour and 4-colour Lozenge fabric for both, upper and lower surfaces.
Lozenge camo was screen-printed on endless panels of canvas with a width of ca. 4.5 feet (if I remember that correct).

My 'panels' here are layed out horizontally, but on an aircaft wing they were used "vertically", or better: in flight-direction.
Everyone can copy and use my Lozenge camo for their own skins - enjoy the skinning!

#4177021 - 10/03/15 06:48 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Nicely done , sir! I will edit this into the main post when I get a chance!

#4177044 - 10/03/15 08:02 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Yes, sure, Rick - my pleasure!

#4177563 - 10/05/15 12:53 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Great Research, Olham clapping
...just grabbed the Pics - this will make Skinning so much easier!

#4177756 - 10/05/15 06:46 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Thanks, Nietzsche!

#4177839 - 10/05/15 09:42 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave

Complicated ? its clear as Mud to me. On the other hand, I did find a place on the web to copy from: Might not be original colors,but some do look nice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lozenge_camouflage

Last edited by carrick58; 10/05/15 09:45 PM.
#4177936 - 10/06/15 01:59 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave

OMG, I think I did it albeit, I spent all day. Thanks Olham and Hasse U guys inspire me.

image upload no limit

image ru

image upload without registration

#4177984 - 10/06/15 04:25 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

mmmm...lozengey!

#4178059 - 10/06/15 11:09 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Here's a link for a site with MarkMiller's research on Lozenge camouflage.
He tried to get the colour "right", with several others.
But from the few samples still around, I guess they couldn't nail it down.
There were no industrialised standars for such productions in those days.

By working after colour photos, you can still get easily led wrong.
Using flash light in a museum, the colours can wrong.
Warm light also changes the colours.

Millers own works near the bottom don't look bad (compare with my photo),
but I think he got the medium blue to "violettish".

http://www.wwi-models.org/misc/Colors/German/loz2/

#4178100 - 10/06/15 01:24 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

PS: ...here is another link, to ARIZONA MODELS page with Lozenge camo.

#4182789 - 10/17/15 01:19 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Lou: "...Glad you like the looks of Hellshade's Pup. I used the graphics from a Tripehound I did for him back in OFF thinking it would be an easy migration across. It was not. But my kung fu is strong and we got 'er done. I like your devil layout as well, very nice. I had a hunch you had tried to swap from another Sopwith to the Pup thinking things would all line up. I tried the same thing myself and did not check the end results right away. Live and learn, eh?"

Yes, checking your Work in the Game is essential. Not only to see, if everything is aligned properly, one has to reajust the Colors, too, quite often. Some Skins look great on the Graphics Program, but are way too colorful for the actual Environment.
I consider the Pup quite difficult to paint, especially the Engine-Cowl-Area.

(I took the Liberty to move our Discussion here... easier to find, later)

#4187088 - 10/27/15 11:02 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
Quick question. Is it possible to have a custom skin in the Campaign for the user player?

I can find the skin in the QC and it works great.

#4187094 - 10/27/15 11:25 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Dark_Canuck, yes you can. That's why most of us skin.

#4187097 - 10/27/15 11:35 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
Okay awesome. Is it a matter of naming convention i.e. Off_(aircraft type)_ace_t_(squadron) (year)_(your pilot name?

#4187100 - 10/27/15 11:40 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Yep, just look at the existing skins in the game and name yours to match that.

#4187103 - 10/27/15 11:45 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
Thanks Banjoman!

I hadnt selected the skin in the loadout screen.

Last edited by Dark_Canuck; 10/28/15 12:01 AM.
#4188660 - 10/30/15 08:00 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hmm. Can anyone spot where the orange band on teh engine cowl is coming from?

Thanks!

#4188664 - 10/30/15 08:09 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I'm afraid is the bottom of the engine cowling "band".

Follow with your eyes from the top left corner of the wing with the Union Jack to the left.

If I were you I'd remove a bit of that (or paint it green for example) and check again.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4188751 - 10/30/15 11:01 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: komemiute]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted By: komemiute
I'm afraid is the bottom of the engine cowling "band".

Follow with your eyes from the top left corner of the wing with the Union Jack to the left.

If I were you I'd remove a bit of that (or paint it green for example) and check again.

That was it! Thanks! I didn't notice when I had copied over the lower wing to the upper how much of the cowl got covered up.

salute

#4189084 - 10/31/15 08:34 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

No bother. Doing skins myself I developed an eye for this kind of things! wink
Glad I helped. Take care. thumbsup

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4192303 - 11/08/15 06:43 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

User Submitted Skin Pack

Can be obtained at the Wings Over Flanders Fields website

1. All rights to the original artworks are retained by OBD software.
2. DO NOT contact OBD software with any questions or issues regarding this pack. This is user generated software and will not be supported by the creators of Wings Over Flanders Fields.
3. This pack may only be distributed with the included readme texts and only in a non-commercial manner.

Directions
To utilize this pack, please unzip the skins to the following directory:

Computer >Local Disk (C:) >OBDSoftware> WOFF> OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields > campaigns > CampaignData > skins

You will see the new skins in your folder:

Contributers are: Aris Fuser (A), Banjoman (BJM), Burning Beard (BB), carrick58 (c58), Manitouguy (M), maxpeck (MP), Nietzsche (N), Olham (O), RAF Louvert (L or Lou), Rick Rawlings (RR), Robert Wiggins (RW)

To remove them at any time, simply type “Joe Doe” in the search bar in the upper right hand of the Window you are in and delete all files that show up:

Viewing

You can view each paint submission using a .dds viewer like Irfan View found here:
http://www.irfanview.com/

Renaming

You can see from the picture below that while the N17 and N23 are the same, the N24 is different and can’t be covered with a simple file name change.

Skins for the Albatros D.III (early) can also be used for the Albatros D.III
or the Albatros D.III OAW, if the user changes the file name like this:
from
Off_Alb_DIII_early_t_Jasta 2 1917_Joe_Doe
to
Off_Alb_DIII_t_Jasta 2 1917_Joe_Doe
or
Off_Alb_DIII_OAW_t_Jasta 2 1917_Joe_Doe

Same goes for the Albatros D.V (early version with the hunchback), and the
Albatros D.V (uprated)

from
off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 5 1917_Joe_Doe
to
off_Alb_DV_Ace_t_Jasta 5 1917_Joe_Doe

(Thanks to Olham for Albatros submissions!)

So find the name of the skin that you want to change to in the skins folder and use that naming convention.

This is the list of compatible planes that I know of:

Albatros D.III Early, DIII, DIII OAW
Albatros DV, DV later, DVa
Airco DH2, DH2 mid
Fokker DVII, DVII OAW, DVIIF
Fokker EI, EII, EIII – oddly, the EIV Rudder is moved, a little clever cut and pasting would make it work…
Halberstadt DII, DIII – is the DIII in the game or is that a typo?
Nieuport 11, 16
Nieuport 17, 17 Lewis, 23
Nieuport 17 bis, 24 look close enough to work, the rudder is a tiny bit different. 27 matches 24
SE5, SE5a, SE5a viper
SPAD VII and XIII are close; you may be able to get away with it…

Troubleshooting

Sometimes the skin will not show the first time you try to load it (or the second or the third!) It seems WOFF can be a bit finicky about displaying new skins and needs some coaxing. Here are some tips:

1. Exit the QC screen back to WOFF shell, alt-tab out, rename the skin in the skins folder, go back into WOFF shell, re-enter the QC screen, re-select the skin and then launch.
2. Do the same above, but in the main WOFF screen, select a pilot from the “other side” of the conflict and start one QC, exit back to the shell, switch to your regular pilot and try running it again.
3. Pol suggests maybe deleting the .bdp for the QC1 aircraft before you start as a last resort.

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 11/09/15 03:36 PM.

#4193137 - 11/10/15 07:08 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
The Halberstadt D2 "Shark-Skin" was indeed intended for use with the Halberstadt D3. This Plane really exists in WOFF (it came with V2, I think). It is the Halb, that doesn't sound like a Fiat 500 hahaha
One doesn't find any Skins for it in the Folder, because it is only using the Default one.
I haven't tested the Shark on the D2, but it looks like it should fit...

#4193226 - 11/10/15 11:55 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Heh, thanks, I was wondering why it was the only one!

#4335445 - 02/08/17 09:52 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
User Submitted Skin Pack

Can be obtained at the Wings Over Flanders Fields website

1. All rights to the original artworks are retained by OBD software.
2. DO NOT contact OBD software with any questions or issues regarding this pack. This is user generated software and will not be supported by the creators of Wings Over Flanders Fields.
3. This pack may only be distributed with the included readme texts and only in a non-commercial manner.

Directions
To utilize this pack, please unzip the skins to the following directory:

Computer >Local Disk (C:) >OBDSoftware> WOFF> OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields > campaigns > CampaignData > skins

You will see the new skins in your folder:

Contributers are: Aris Fuser (A), Banjoman (BJM), Burning Beard (BB), carrick58 (c58), Manitouguy (M), maxpeck (MP), Nietzsche (N), Olham (O), RAF Louvert (L or Lou), Rick Rawlings (RR), Robert Wiggins (RW)

To remove them at any time, simply type “Joe Doe” in the search bar in the upper right hand of the Window you are in and delete all files that show up:

Viewing

You can view each paint submission using a .dds viewer like Irfan View found here:
http://www.irfanview.com/

Renaming

You can see from the picture below that while the N17 and N23 are the same, the N24 is different and can’t be covered with a simple file name change.

Skins for the Albatros D.III (early) can also be used for the Albatros D.III
or the Albatros D.III OAW, if the user changes the file name like this:
from
Off_Alb_DIII_early_t_Jasta 2 1917_Joe_Doe
to
Off_Alb_DIII_t_Jasta 2 1917_Joe_Doe
or
Off_Alb_DIII_OAW_t_Jasta 2 1917_Joe_Doe

Same goes for the Albatros D.V (early version with the hunchback), and the
Albatros D.V (uprated)

from
off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 5 1917_Joe_Doe
to
off_Alb_DV_Ace_t_Jasta 5 1917_Joe_Doe

(Thanks to Olham for Albatros submissions!)

So find the name of the skin that you want to change to in the skins folder and use that naming convention.

This is the list of compatible planes that I know of:

Albatros D.III Early, DIII, DIII OAW
Albatros DV, DV later, DVa
Airco DH2, DH2 mid
Fokker DVII, DVII OAW, DVIIF
Fokker EI, EII, EIII – oddly, the EIV Rudder is moved, a little clever cut and pasting would make it work…
Halberstadt DII, DIII – is the DIII in the game or is that a typo?
Nieuport 11, 16
Nieuport 17, 17 Lewis, 23
Nieuport 17 bis, 24 look close enough to work, the rudder is a tiny bit different. 27 matches 24
SE5, SE5a, SE5a viper
SPAD VII and XIII are close; you may be able to get away with it…

Troubleshooting

Sometimes the skin will not show the first time you try to load it (or the second or the third!) It seems WOFF can be a bit finicky about displaying new skins and needs some coaxing. Here are some tips:

1. Exit the QC screen back to WOFF shell, alt-tab out, rename the skin in the skins folder, go back into WOFF shell, re-enter the QC screen, re-select the skin and then launch.
2. Do the same above, but in the main WOFF screen, select a pilot from the “other side” of the conflict and start one QC, exit back to the shell, switch to your regular pilot and try running it again.
3. Pol suggests maybe deleting the .bdp for the QC1 aircraft before you start as a last resort.

Now on the User Mods Page:

http://www.sandbagger.uk.com/indexWOFF.html

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4335695 - 02/09/17 06:45 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Thanks, Sandbagger, Good form! salute

#4357431 - 05/15/17 12:40 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

First, thanks to Rick Rawlings and everyone else who contributed to this thread. It clarified a lot of issues for me.
What I wanted to share is in reference to naming skins.
I have been sim-flying with Jasta 13 for the past few months and have gotten rather fond of some of the AI that I fly with every day, particularly Ltn Heinrich Breidt. When the Jasta received upgraded aircraft, exchanging their old Alb DIII early for Alb DV upgraded (well into Sept 1917, were not exactly a top notch outfit in a hot area), some of my old AI Ace comrades had no skin for this aircraft. So I took the basic Jasta 13 skin, added their old logos and stipes or what have you to it with Gimp. When I put it back with DXTbmp as a DDS file I just put their name on it, in the proper format and when I went to the next mission, VOILA, there was Heinrich Breidt with his white band with two red stripes on a new machine. I guess because he has the Ace status as an AI the game latches onto it for the graphics.
Just thought it might be of interest. JH

#4357756 - 05/17/17 12:52 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Nice! First off, welcome to the forums! cheers Second off, I'm glad it worked out for you on the first try, naming conventions seem to be tricky at times...I bet you're right and it does search for an ace skin before pulling the default squadron one, good find! Third off, make sure you drop down to the regular forum and say "Hi!" so everyone else can give you a proper welcome! salute

#4360343 - 05/30/17 09:44 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Hi Rick! Thank so much for taking the time to do a tutorial on how to skin aircraft in WOFF. I think I will dip my toes into the world of skinning this summer and pick up the software you recommended. Looks fascinating!

#4360355 - 05/30/17 10:58 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I hope it goes well for you, let us know if you have any problems and definitely post the results!
salute

#4360874 - 05/31/17 11:12 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
4L0M Offline
4L0M  Offline

Weymouth, UK
Hi there. Don't know if you guys knew this looking through these pages, but you don't need to be messing around with DXTBMP at all, it's just an extra unnecessary step to your workflow.

Gimp can open, edit, save and generate mipmaps for .dds files on it's own by downloading the free plugin here and installing it :

Gimp .dds Plugin

and Photoshop can do the same with this free plugin from Nvidia :

Photoshop .dds plugin from Nvidia

This will save a lot of time when skinning or editing textures in general.

Hope this helps someone, cheers!

Last edited by 4L0M; 05/31/17 11:15 PM.

I7 4770k@4.6ghz WC H80i
Asus Maximus Hero VII
Corsair 1000w rm1000 psu
16gb Crucial Ballistix Tactical@2100
Creative zx soundcard
2 x MSI 970 GTX SLI
55" Sony Bravia 4k HDR
Corsiar 760t
#4360879 - 05/31/17 11:53 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Thanks 4L0M. Just downloaded and tested. Works just fine. Should we be loading the mipmaps when opening DDS to edit skins? Also, when saving DDS what settings should be used for compression, format, mipmaps etc to work with WOFF?

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4360892 - 06/01/17 01:12 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Good point, 4LOM, I will edit and attribute that into the first thread when I get a chance. Thanks!

#4372923 - 08/05/17 08:24 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Watching the video but how to make the color equal on a surface.

Attached Files gimp overlay.jpg
#4372934 - 08/05/17 10:56 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hey, Dutch, I can't quite tell what is going on in the screenshot. Are you trying to match colors on different sections of the skin?

#4372979 - 08/06/17 05:42 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
if I paint I'm using the dot like in the video and if I do have an overlap from an early dot, I see whats on the attachment from the early posting. I did use two layers, one from the default fokker DII ( here is no painting on) and an layer for doing all the paintings.

#4373037 - 08/06/17 07:19 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Ok, make sure you are using the brush tool and not the airbrush tool. Also, make sure in the tool options, the brush has a hard round edge and not the fuzzy edge, this should make the color solid and not have earlier stroked bleed through. You can then use opacity or layer properties to make it more transparent. Is that what you are asking?

Cheers,
Rick Rawlings

#4374030 - 08/12/17 04:04 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
My first effort, as you can see first shot is without the white top, later is with the white top and bottom on the fuselage. Only the bottom was plain canvas so I have to remove these.
Here is my source:
https://www.hobbysta.eu/fokker-dii-p-50908.html

Attached Files Fokker DII.jpgfokker DII morning flight.jpg
Last edited by dutch; 08/13/17 05:55 AM.
#4374078 - 08/12/17 11:38 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Very nice! Great first effort! thumbsup

#4375809 - 08/22/17 06:21 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Wanting to change the TAC only after changing it sill does export as an cubic and not as the original circle. How to get rid of the cubic, see the red cross markings in the .jpg file and why does that shows up, I did not change that shape????

Attached Files tactical_display.jpg
#4375865 - 08/22/17 02:03 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hey, dutch, .jpegs won't do transparent textures apparently... where are you pulling that file from?
rick

#4375868 - 08/22/17 02:18 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
Hey, dutch, .jpegs won't do transparent textures apparently... where are you pulling that file from?
rick

Yes Rick is correct. In brief explanation you need to separate the layers by extracting the circle as a ".bmp" and then create a transparent square as BMP for the alpha layer.

As Rick has said, where are you pulling the file from?

(System_Specs)

#4375873 - 08/22/17 03:08 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
I can not publish the .dds file as an visible file, this site only uses jpg as to be show.
Now if I do correct the TAC file by removing the number and make it back to an .dds, the square appears from nowhere. This file can be found by using the search tactical_display and you will notice this file will showup and you can go to it folder. Not at my gamerig so I think this is the best way to trace this .dds file.

#4375875 - 08/22/17 03:19 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Are you working .bmp to .dds and back with nothing in between? Can you make a square transparent base layer in GIMP and then cut and paste the circle TAC on top of it? There are also plugins that let you work natively in GIMP with .dds files... check this post...
http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4360874/re-skinning-tutorial#Post4360874

#4376365 - 08/25/17 06:49 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Here another one question, in your video around 28:10 you do save the file at 24bit and not 32bit, is here some reason why not save it to the 32bit??? You are saying because not mixed up, while at the properties on the .dds file it is 32bit depth? Or is this something complete different.

BTW Gimp does have an new update.

#4376389 - 08/25/17 10:42 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Saving it at 32bits messes up the colors for me, I believe 24bit is the only supported format...

#4475520 - 05/26/19 02:01 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

I need some advice from you skinners out there. I have been working with Fokker DVIIs and having problems with making a different color tail section.

I know that the problem is with this area on the skin.
[Linked Image]

When I do not have any color in this area, I get this, which also appears on the stock skins which do not have a colored strip here.
[Linked Image]

However, when I add a color stip to this area, no matter how far down below or above this area I make it, I come up with this.
[Linked Image]

Anybody know any tricks that will help me achieve this....instead of the above?
[Linked Image]

Attached Files tail 4.PNGtail 3.PNGtail 2.PNGtail1.PNG
Last edited by jerbear; 05/26/19 02:09 PM.
#4484350 - 07/28/19 06:02 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Are you referencing an in-game skin on the "like" picture above and if so, which one?

#4484595 - 07/30/19 11:05 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Hi Rick: Have really profited from you vids and this thread.

The yellow tail on black fuselage is the Jasta 27 wing man plane Off_Fokker_DVII_OAW_Jasta 27 1918.

The middle one is a GIMP hue/brightness/Saturation change on two separate planes. The orange fuselage is from a yellow in-game and the green horizontal stabilizer was made from a red in-game skin then the two were joined by pasting the orange over the green and erasing the old orange stabilizer to get the green one I had on the layer beneath.

The blue tail is an in-game tail put on the same orange fuselage using the same erase to reveal technique.

I found later that there are a few in-game Fokker DVII types that have the same problems my erase conversions have here. I didn't make any note of them, having decided that this was just a limitation of the skin program/graphic whatever is the correct term.

Another thing I came across working with the Pfalz DIIIa is that if you have a white rudder and try to bring a color up the verticle stabilizer to cover over any portion of that white rudder, you get a line of that color on the outer edge of the rudder. This can be seen on in-game skins as well as my hack jobs. Example attached, but that's off subject, just an aside.

Jerry [Linked Image]

Attached Files rudder  a.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 07/30/19 11:12 PM.
#4484659 - 07/31/19 04:45 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Jerbear

Just a heads up on skinning issues you may encounter.
Not saying you will, but sometimes there is a model mapping issue which only comes to lifht when you are colorizing a model.
It's difficult to explain as the mapping issue often varies between model types.

You may well have to experiment to see if you can find a workaround by not trying to have two different color areas come together on an area that has a mapping peoblem. I can't show you an example because I am not at my computer right now.

Just be aware of this possibility.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)

#4484691 - 07/31/19 10:13 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Thanks Mr Wiggins

After I did that post about the tail sections in May I started to figure out that there are just some things you can't do and what you say confirms it. Looking at the in-game skins I can see certain things that just aren't done, especially to the nose and tail sections so I just make a more difficult skin as close to the photo or profile I'm trying to copy and make do. Not that much has to be sacrificed to make the more complicated ones work well enough and most of the time non at all. I'm grateful the skins were designed to be so easy to work with and post into the games skin file. Sort of like being able to make all those model airplanes you planned to make someday and fly them, or watch them fly too.

Jerbear.

#4484696 - 07/31/19 11:00 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Hey, jerbear, I went through a few DrI skins this morning and didn't see any stock ones that had the band. I apologize for not being more help so far, I haven't been home much the last few days. I should be able to give it some attention tomorrow. If you can get the name of one of the ones that shows the band, it might help us compare. Also, if you could post the section of your graphics file that corresponds to that area, it might be useful as well.

*edit: if you have any time play around with it, you will notice that in the first post of this thread there was a graph-paper skin example. If you could create one of those and take some in-game pictures from different angles, that might show if there are any geography issues.

** edit again: also, just to be clear, you want the tail color to creep up on the fuselage so that it is one solid line across, correct?

*** edit yet again: I may have found something to help you. Check out Hans Muller's 1917 Jasta 15 skin.

Here's how it looks in the game:
[Linked Image]
And here's the relevant part of the skin:
[Linked Image]
Use that as a model to put your stripe in and see if it works...

Attached Files Plane Tail.jpgPossible Fix Arrow.jpg
Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 08/01/19 03:00 AM.

#4484830 - 08/01/19 11:25 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Hello Rick - Same here, I don't get to spend that much time home, seem to always be at work.

The problems I'm looking at is on the Fokker DVII tail. Here are four aircraft with the same problem. The orange one with the graph is mine. Looks like the graph is a little big, sorry. Then there is Karl Plauth, Jasta 20; Erich Budes, Justa 26 and Adolf Auer Jasta 40, all with the same problems. [Linked Image]

Attached Files tail d Karl Plauth J20.jpgtail a Erich Buder J26.jpgtail b Erich Buder J26.jpgtail c Adolf Auer J40.jpgtail h (1).jpgtail h (2).jpgtail h (3).jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 08/01/19 11:29 PM.
#4484831 - 08/01/19 11:30 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Here are two of the skins. I have the problem area circled on the orange one. [Linked Image]

Attached Files tail g.jpgtail e.jpgGraph skin.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 08/01/19 11:32 PM.
#4484855 - 08/02/19 05:27 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Nice, I wasn't even looking at the right tail! rofl I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see if I come up with any bright ideas, although I am not instilling myself with a lot of confidence...

salute

#4484915 - 08/02/19 04:22 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

OK, so I figured out what is happening, although it probably wont help you much...
So here's a Lowenhardt reference:
[Linked Image]
That little piece isn't even on the skin. I used this reference August Raben Jasta 18:
[Linked Image]
So to see where it was being pulled from, I tried this:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

OK, so it is being copied from somewhere above, but where?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
So you can fill in the gap, but you have to live with a band of the same color above it. I tried painting in the area under the fuselage where there was nothing to see if it would take, but it didn't... darkcloud (though I screenshot it, but didn't, it just looked like the original skin...)

Stumped at the moment. Maybe a developer or skinner will pop in with some advice...

Attached Files I See The Problem.jpgReference.jpgTry1.jpgTry2.jpgTry3.jpgTry5ish.jpgTry6ish.jpgStumped.jpgReferencemarked.jpgTry6ishmarked.jpg
Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 08/03/19 07:14 PM.

#4484958 - 08/02/19 11:53 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Thanks for having a look and all the hard work Rick, I appreciate it.

At least I know I'm not completely inept.

There seems to be some little thing like that on every 3d model, nothin's perfect. What we have is awfully dern good though. A few compromises here and there have to be made and there's no sense driving yourself crazy over it.

The reminder about the grid thing was helpful. I have been working with stripes and Bavarian checks. I think that trick will help with some of the projects I can't complete. I need to go back and review some of these things every now and then. The old brain doesn't retain things like a steel trap anymore.

Thanks again

Jerbear.

Last edited by jerbear; 08/02/19 11:56 PM.
#4485018 - 08/03/19 05:28 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Mr Wiggins: Just did a quick survey of a few examples on Quick Combat. It seems that the problem does not affect the DVII OAW. Just the DVII and DVIIF. Ernst Udet is a good example since he flies all three models and has things going on with his horizontal stabilizer on all three.

If you just do the whole tail section in one color the problem doesn't occur. Only when you try to make only that stabilizer a different color.

Jerbear.

#4485377 - 08/07/19 03:07 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Hold fire on this issue fellas... I'm talking with RW. I can see what is causing it, but I don't want to openly speculate until we confirm it.

Thanks.

OvS

#4485586 - 08/09/19 05:17 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Thank you, sir!

#4487067 - 08/22/19 01:03 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Gents this is a modeling issue and cannot be resolved by adjusting the skin. Sorry.

At this point, it would be up to OBD to resolve. Best to simply work around it as we did originally, unless the original designer is will to change this... which might snowball all of the original skins. I'm not really interested in seeing anyone buried by a minor flaw as this.. so it's up to that person to decide if it's worth going through the trouble of adjusting it.

I can certainly go back and adjust whatever skins it effects from whatever Jastas I did if that is the case, but it won't be a quick fix for sure.

OvS

#4487143 - 08/22/19 11:27 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: OvStachel]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Thanks for looking into it. Definitely not an issue worth upsetting the apple cart over. I just thought it was something I was or wasn't doing. Issue resolved and thank you again.

Jerbear

#4497716 - 11/19/19 09:25 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Hallo all,

I have worked the first time with GIMP (2.10.14, dds-format included) and have made my first skin for woff-PE.
Positiv: lt has functioned, I can use the skin with quick combat and in the campaign! Nice!

Question: I have recogniced, that my own skin-file is much bigger (12MB) than the original file from the skin folder (ca. 3MB). Even if I export the original file only with an other name -without any changes- I have 12MB in the new skin-file. So I asked myself: What is the best mode to save / export the new skin-file in dds for WOFF-PE after changes? Which steps in the settings (1., 2., 3. step etc.) should be used when I save it as dds-file?

Thanks for answer!

#4497723 - 11/19/19 11:38 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Hi Becker - 1- go upper left on Gimp to File > On drop down choose "Save as" > put in your file name and leave it as .xcf file > Save it in your documents file. This is only a backup and has nothing to do with export or converting to DDS.
2- go back to File > choose "Export as" on dropdown > enter you file name but change it to a bmp file. Example: Fokker DVII.bmp. > There is a dropdown list on the bottom of your export window that will say " "All export images" choose the dropdown that says "Windows BMP image (bmp) make sure you have bmp in your file name not xcf. > choose desktop as you file destination on the left side of the window.

3 - Hit the "EXPORT" button and another window will appear that asks is you want compatability options or advanced options > choose advanced options > you will be given three options 16, 24 or 32 bits > choose 24 bits and then click on "EXPORT" this will send the bmp file to your desktop.

4 - now open your DXTbmp app. in the upper left clock file then open, this will show you all the images on your desk top. > click on the bmp image you sent to desktop, then open, it will appear on DXTbmp.

5- again go to file and choose "save as" this will give you a drop down that will have DDS Texture along with some other options > click DDS texture > the file name will be on this new window but you will not see your image > change the image name so you will not confuse your new DDS image it with the bmp that is alerady on your desktop. > click on "save" and it will send the DDS image to your desktop.
6 - from the desktop you can cut the DDS image and paste it into you picture file or wherever else you want it. > you must now name the image in the correct WOFF code such as off_Fokker_DVII_ace_t_Jasta 13 1918_Hans_Butthead.
7- I usually make a copy before cutting the DDS and pasteing it in the WOFF skin folder. You can, of course put the image directly into the skin folder from desktop but I like the extra step.

This procedure should give you a DDS file of the correct size. I know it looks like a lot of step but it is very easy and becomes second nature and intuitive after a few times.

Holler if you have trouble and I or someone smarter will get back to you.

Jerry H

#4497724 - 11/19/19 11:50 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Excellent write up, jerbear!

#4497726 - 11/20/19 12:28 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Right off your tutorial Rick. That's something I stupidly omitted Becker. Go to YOUtube and see Rick Rawlings "circus Skinning tutorial" You can see all this in action and explained very well. Could'a saved myself a lot of typing. Jerbear

Last edited by jerbear; 11/20/19 12:31 AM.
#4497736 - 11/20/19 03:35 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Omg! Thanks! You reminded me of that stupid broken link to the video in the first post. I have fixed it now so the video should show. Also, having the steps written out is useful so you don't have to keep rewinding, so I've added your steps into the first post as well! salute

#4497747 - 11/20/19 12:15 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Thanks for explanation @jerbear!
I will try it at the weekend.

#4497982 - 11/22/19 07:00 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: jerbear]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Hallo @jerbear,

now I have a little bit time to follow your steps for making the own skin-files smaller after GIMP.

I have 2 questions:
a) step 4: I must download DXTbmp, right?
b) after work with GIMP (see my text above page 8): Is the bigger skin-file (ca. 12MB) a problem for WOFF or is it even for the sim?

Thanks for answer!

#4497985 - 11/22/19 08:16 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Hallo @jerbear,

all is clear!
I did read a little bit more in the skinning-threads and now I have the answers (fortunately there were other members with the same questions before).

See you later

#4563596 - 04/10/21 04:03 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
trustworthykebab Offline
trustworthykebab  Offline

I hope to not get the people's wrath for necroposting here, but I'd need some help. I'm trying to make a skin, for the Pfalz DIIIa, the struggle is that neither side of the fuselage is alligned (they're actually disaligned when applied to the plane too), same for the top and the bottom which are at completely different positions when working on the skin. So the stripe I'm trying to make, which is a ring that goes around all the fuselage, keeps appearing disaligned, like this:
[Linked Image]

Does anybody have a tip on how to manage to get em aligned, or do I just have to be lucky in getting the right position? Thanks a bunch.

Attached Files Shot04-10-21-17-55-31.jpg
Last edited by trustworthykebab; 04/10/21 04:03 PM.
#4563651 - 04/10/21 08:08 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: trustworthykebab]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Hi Trustie: I'm afraid there is no completely perfect fix here. This is a warpage area on the model.

To see these warped areas, make a grid layer on your skin, then look at it in QC. The grid squares in the warped area will be...well...warped.

Look at one of the Pfalz skins in the WOFF skins pack in QC that has a band in this area. You'll see that, although they were able to make it a little better, it is still warped in the worst areas.

Here is a shot of Rudolf Stark's Jasta 34 Pfalz. It's mostly fixed but has some bad areas on both sides a the top. If that's good enough for you, (and you really can't see that from a distance) then use Stark's existing skin as a template. I can give you some tips on how to do that if you need.

If you want it not to have this warpage, you will have to move your band further back. If you still want it in front of the national markings you will have to move them as well and possibly shrink them.

Do you use Gimp or something else?

Jerbear [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Attached Files Warpage.jpgStark.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 04/10/21 10:33 PM.
#4563667 - 04/10/21 09:59 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

That's looking great, by the way, trustworthykebab! As jerbear said, using a graph paper grid can help, there is some additional info on it in the first post on page one as submitted by Olham. You can also look at my attempt to get the N 17 cowl lined up in the same post. Keep us posted on how it is going!

#4563747 - 04/11/21 10:35 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
trustworthykebab Offline

Thanks both for the heads up, I'll keep you updated on the skin!
Also yes, I'm using GIMP

Last edited by trustworthykebab; 04/11/21 10:36 AM.
#4563859 - 04/11/21 11:57 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

NP, also keep in mind that sometimes constraints can lead to inspiration. What if you made the band go under the cross, almost like a cigar band? That might look cool!

#4563885 - 04/12/21 07:06 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
trustworthykebab Offline

It indeed inspired me, as I decided to abandon the band idea, while keeping the ailerons coloured, adding a blue rotor nose and wheel coverings. Seems like it's better to keep it clear when skinning Pfalzen, they can come really handy when hiding from faster enemy scouts!

#4564082 - 04/13/21 01:28 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Well, we're going to need some pictures!!!

#4566956 - 05/02/21 07:22 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
trustworthykebab Offline

Aalright. I'm back from the ashes after I bought a new laptop. This means...Another question about skins! I made a custom skin for my DiD pilot in J27, and one thing I noticed (on other custom skins too) is that the skin tends to be glitchy, flickering and becoming invisible when looking at it from certain angles. Any idea on how to fix this or is it standard?

#4566957 - 05/02/21 07:25 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
trustworthykebab Offline

Here is an example of what it does, by the way.

Attached Files Shot05-02-21-21-23-59-compressed.jpg
#4566974 - 05/03/21 12:25 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

First of all, Looks great so far!

Second of all, is this in the new WOFF or an older version? I have noticed some wonkiness with the damage model with the wings where it flickers in and out kind of like that.

Other questions: Are you up to date with the latest patch?
Does it always happen from certain angles or is it random?
How are you modifying the base skin? What programs and formats?

Let's see if we can figure this out!

#4566992 - 05/03/21 06:22 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
trustworthykebab Offline

FIrst of all thanks!
Secondly, I use GIMP (just normal work, work layer then fuse it with the base one). It's BHaHII, patch 1.06. The glitch happens mostly only on ground, before taking off, at angles on both sides at around 45 degrees like in the picture. If I zoom in max from outside I do not see it, and in first person it happens only if I zoom in/out. It's not really a problem, I'm just curious smile

#4567006 - 05/03/21 11:05 AM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: trustworthykebab]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Trustie:
I had the same problem a few weeks back. Try this:

Choose another skin to use for your bottom layer > cut and paste the details you want to use onto that, even if you have to cut up a copy of the skin you are using as a base layer now.

I don't know why this happens and it has, so far, only happened once. I suspect it had something to do with the fact that I used that skin several times as a base layer, but don't know for sure. Also lots and lots of saving can cause problems.

Jerbear.

#4567091 - 05/03/21 11:02 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I am wondering if it is related to this:

As I was capturing video for my latest challenge intro, I noticed this Albatros, which from certain angles flickers between the damaged and undamaged wing state. So I am wondering if your plane is pulling from the default skin at certain angles? If so, it may have nothing to do with anything you did wrong. Maybe Pol will see this and chime in...

#4567489 - 05/06/21 03:34 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
trustworthykebab Offline

Could be. But this thing happens to me only on custom made skins and it doesn't have anything to do with damaged/non damaged graphics, just the skin becoming invisible/deformed when close to ground. In air everything goes as fine as it can be.

#4567647 - 05/07/21 08:07 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

You are probably saving it with alpha or something. Needs to be DXT1, no alpha.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4567748 - 05/08/21 08:03 PM Re: Skinning Tutorial [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
trustworthykebab Offline

I shall check, thanks for the heads up, Pol

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.