Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3989654 - 08/02/14 11:40 AM Latest mod for Steel Fury  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
While the NTA mod is no longer available, its successor, the STA mod, is now available, complete with the first two mission packs and STA-compatible terrain/weather mods. Further content is reportedly under development. Details here:

http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t6-steel-tank-add-on-steel-fury

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3989735 - 08/02/14 03:36 PM Re: Latest mod for Steel Fury [Re: 33lima]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Why would the German Army have ben using Panthers disguised as M-10s when the Russian Army didn't use the M-10? And in American markings, no less.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3989788 - 08/02/14 05:32 PM Re: Latest mod for Steel Fury [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
With the development by modders of more US and British kit, Steel Fury has been going beyond the Eastern Front, making best use of what's available, so not all missions are entirely historical. For example there is a T-44 and now also a Panther F and an IS-3, types which I believe didn't actually see combat service in WW2 or at all:

There's already a Western Desert terrain and M4A1 and M4A2 Shermans are in the pipeline.

Last edited by 33lima; 08/02/14 06:06 PM.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#3989799 - 08/02/14 06:13 PM Re: Latest mod for Steel Fury [Re: 33lima]  
woofiedog Offline
woofiedog  Offline

Why would the German Army have ben using Panthers disguised as M-10s when the Russian Army didn't use the M-10? And in American markings, no less.

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt07/panther-tank-disguise-m10.html

The Operation Greif commando mission included five Panthers assigned to Panzerbrigade 150, disguised to look like M10 Tank Destroyers by welding on additional plates, applying US-style camouflage paint and markings. This was carried out as part of a larger operation that involved soldiers disguised as Americans and other activities. The disguised Panthers were detected and destroyed.

#3989806 - 08/02/14 06:53 PM Re: Latest mod for Steel Fury [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
...and it wasn't only modified Panthers they used:

Anyway the SF disguised Panther is entirely historical, down to the removed commander's cupola, tho I don't know if it has a historical mission, yet.

#3989820 - 08/02/14 07:39 PM Re: Latest mod for Steel Fury [Re: 33lima]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
No, I'm well aware of the Panther/M-10 deception. I didn't make myself clear, I suppose. I assumed that this was the Russian Front, and there were no M-10s, so why would that be on a Russian Front simulator. But I see that there seems to be a Western Front mod. That's what that may be part of.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."

#3989822 - 08/02/14 07:44 PM Re: Latest mod for Steel Fury [Re: 33lima]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
By the way, will those Shermans have interiors?

#3989834 - 08/02/14 08:23 PM Re: Latest mod for Steel Fury [Re: Pooch]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Originally Posted By: Pooch
By the way, will those Shermans have interiors?

Don't know, but don't think so; many user-made vehicles don't. They are nice to have, in the training area it's fun to drive your Tiger - one that does have interiors - from the driver's position, for example...

...or to look around the turret interior, and watch the crew or gun breech animations...

...but in action, I find I never use them: I spend all my time in external, gunsight, and TC unbuttoned views.

#3989868 - 08/02/14 09:56 PM Re: Latest mod for Steel Fury [Re: 33lima]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Wow, a Sherman interior done in that kind of detail would be terrific. You, know, I don't think it's ever been done. We've been Russian Fronted to death, but armored warfare in the west has been all but ignored. Never understood why. Is it because everyone thinks it was so one sided? If you don't flood the battlefield with Tigers the Sherman could handle itself. Put PZKW Mk 4s and Panthers out there. Give the U.S. side M4s and M-10s. Let the British have the Firefly. I think it could be exciting. Damn, I'd buy that game the first day it was released.

#3989894 - 08/02/14 11:52 PM Re: Latest mod for Steel Fury [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
+1 to that. One reason I still play Panzer Elite.

Last edited by 33lima; 08/02/14 11:54 PM.

#3989938 - 08/03/14 07:23 AM Re: Latest mod for Steel Fury [Re: 33lima]  
General_Sultan Offline
General_Sultan  Offline

Al-Ṭā’if, Mekkah Go...
Originally Posted By: 33lima
+1 to that. One reason I still play Panzer Elite.

you... you make me sad!!!! that game is not real life going-with!!!!

you know what you should do!!! play panzerfront and theatre of war friend, tank simulators are not endangered !!!

#3989966 - 08/03/14 10:38 AM Re: Latest mod for Steel Fury [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Hi General Sultan!

I enjoyed playing wargames with 1/300 minatures, with the right sort of rules, years back, tho I didn't have enough space and had to use a horribly small ground scale...

...but I have never really got into 'strategy' games, apart from some dabbling with battles in 'Rome - Total War'.

I tried the original Combat Mission and later, the first Theatre of War, and the problem I have with them is:

1. they are not tank simulators, nice though the AFVs look in the latest versions - fine, as that's not what they are designed to be, but...

2. They do not simulate warfare - they simulate wargaming with miniatures - where the role of the player is to move individual 'pieces'. The better wargame rules - like the 1975 WRG set for 1925-1950 - play the way these RTS games SHOULD work - placing the player in the role of a company or battalion commander, who exercises this role NOT by playing chess with troops, but by making a plan and then giving (the commanders of) his sub-units their orders, which the latter carry out, using 'SOPs' or drills, with little or no micromanagement by the boss.

True, Theatre of War allows you to group units but in real life they come pre-grouped and you (the force commander) work with these groupings (your platoons or companies) and do not (usually if ever) give orders to individual AFVs or soldiers. OK no doubt sometimes Rommel arrived in his half-track or field car and yelled at Gefrieter Schmitt to get off his bottom and attack over there, but that's not hot it works, most of the time.

I have d/l'ed the GTOS demo as I believe this works differently, tho I will try out Steel Armor, Blaze of War first, because this at least is also a tank simulator, even tho it has an 'RTS' front end.

As for Panzer Elite, though the graphics and animations are dated, with the current mods it is still simply one of the best tank sims available.

Panzerfront Ausf b looks like a fun tank game with some simulation elements, a bit like an updated Panzer Commander.

Last edited by 33lima; 08/03/14 10:43 AM.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.