Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3989593 - 08/02/14 03:50 AM Facebook was down today, and some people called 911  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
WHAT THE CENSORED WORLD DO WE LIVE 1]?!?!?

http://time.com/3071049/facebook-down-police/

"If you freaked out about Facebook going down earlier today, we hope your next call wasn’t 911. Sounds obvious, right? Apparently not to everyone, according to these tweets from Sergeant Burton Brink of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department:"

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3989608 - 08/02/14 04:29 AM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I've never even logged onto a Facebook page.
But my best friend bought $50,000.00 in stock, when it was first out and dropped to $30.

He likes Facebook. Still has the stock.
But he also, has never logged onto it.
I think his wife does.

Don't people visit anymore?
Phone?
Email?

Just don't see the need for Twitter or Facebook.
But...I suppose it's the future.
God help us......
We've lost the art of conversation.

I just don't see the need, or the draw.
I guess if I was 21, and single....yeah, maybe. wink

"Murphy's Law"
#3989614 - 08/02/14 05:13 AM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
i enjoy facebook, its SO MUCH BETTER to spam my undesirable links that people would otherwise ignore or delete in their emails....at least now i can clutter their main page for attention biggrin

#3989660 - 08/02/14 12:07 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Murphy]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Murphy
I've never even logged onto a Facebook page.
But my best friend bought $50,000.00 in stock, when it was first out and dropped to $30.

He likes Facebook. Still has the stock.
But he also, has never logged onto it.
I think his wife does.

Don't people visit anymore?
Phone?
Email?

But...I suppose it's the future.
God help us......
We've lost the art of conversation.

I just don't see the need, or the draw.
I guess if I was 21, and single....yeah, maybe. wink

I told everyone to buy it back on 3/14/2014, I used to trade stocks and I know the next Google when I see it... I actually bought some after it dropped from its initial IPO.

Quote:
Buy Facebook stock. And hold it for long term.

They are the next google, huge client base, and they have a visionary leader.

Trust me investors.... buy it, and forget what it does tomorrow and the next day, think years from now. She'll be $500 or more.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#3989665 - 08/02/14 12:24 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I bought some too when it was lower than its IPO. Still have it.

Don't use Facebook at all.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3989678 - 08/02/14 01:30 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
I use it just to keep in touch with my children and see what they have been up to.
So much easier than having to get through to a constantly engaged single phone in a hall of residence, when eventually answered, the answeree more times than not couldn't be arsed to find the recipient and left the phone dangling with you hanging on interminably at the other end.
They have found it very useful in their student years. It was a priceless utility in getting to know and receiving information from tutors and fellow students before their fresher year, making the whole new experience less intimidating.

Three times three years of photos of them with glass in hand laughing gets a bit tedious though.

#3989683 - 08/02/14 01:46 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Priceyplanecrasher Offline
Priceyplanecrasher  Offline

Netherlands
I always thought 911 was the number to call for Porsches wrapped around trees. biggrin

#3989689 - 08/02/14 01:54 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
JulioJunqueira Offline
JulioJunqueira  Offline

Late Arrivals Club
"Look up to the skies – avoid the casual litter
Running from the pitiful nihilism
The misguided tweets the sad facebooking
Cheapness surrounds me but I’m not looking" cool

From the lyrics of "The View From Stow Hill" made by the greats MANIC STREET PREACHERS

"No Mama! No Papa! No whiskey soda!"
#3989692 - 08/02/14 02:09 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I took the son for a quick camping/fishing/hiking trip deep in the valleys of Sand Mountain and I saw some girl have what looked like a panic attack when she realized that there was no cell service in the area and her iPhone was just a pretty bauble.

"OMG, what am I going to do now!" she exclaimed almost hysterically.
"Enjoy being in the woods and being with your family," her father deadpanned.
"YOU'RE NOT HELPING!" she wailed.

rolleyes

I take comfort in knowing that in the post-apocolypse world she and her ilk will not be serious competition for food and resources. Plus their zombie incarnation can only grab you with one hand, the other still grasping a smart phone with a grip that reflexively goes beyond the grave.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3989693 - 08/02/14 02:11 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Lol Dart,how true.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3989708 - 08/02/14 02:39 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Taking my son off to college in 2 weeks. Place we rented for him does not have free Wifi and
the look on his face was priceless when I told him he would have to pay for it if he wanted it.
But make sure sure you know what your prioritizes will be, like eating. Make your choices wisely.

I am sure he will panic without facebook. Told him 4 month without, you`ll live just fine, go out
and interact and make new friends. You never know.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3989717 - 08/02/14 02:55 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
#StopSocialMedia

I used Facebook a little early on, mostly to reconnect with people I lost contact with a long time ago.

I can't be bothered with it too much now though.

#3989721 - 08/02/14 03:04 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: JimK]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Wow...

Suppose there was a place where you could go and get all kinds of personal info on people...Who their kids are, What their job is, where they live, who their friends are, what they drive and when they are away from home!

Nobody would be stupid enough to put that on the internet, would they?................. nope

Had to register once to send a message to someone, flagged anything from facebook as Spam in my e-mail, never been back since If I have a page, I sure never made it.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3989722 - 08/02/14 03:04 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Quote:

I would hope you do, at least twitter, for SimHQ's sake. wink

As for FACEBOOK, I first joined it just to make my 2 kids friend me so I can monitor their post, back when they were younger... but since that time I have found it an amazing tool for hooking up with old lost friend, and army buddies... I'd say I've found over 100 long lost friends and army buddies thanks to Facebook.

so it does have a practical purpose... oh and I love searching facebook for people I stop, mostly teenagers who post stupid stuff like, just got pulled over, hope they don't search my car. wink you'd be surprised how many crimes we solve thanks to Facebook.

#3989724 - 08/02/14 03:07 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Magnum]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Quote:
you'd be surprised how many crimes we solve thanks to Facebook.

Nope, wouldn't be surprised at all...or at how many crimes are planned using facebook as intel.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3989746 - 08/02/14 03:59 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I have a facebook page simply because in the early days of Farmville my wife would use it as a bot to "gift" stuff back and forth to herself.

I haven't checked it in over a year, and there's not a single picture of me on it anywhere. However, my wife did a search and turned up plenty of pictures of me tagged with my name by other people, most of them twenty years (or more) old, thanks to a buddy that put old Army photographs on his page and labelled them. So if I want to see what I looked like back in my 101st days I can find them.

What's funny is how people think that posting to Facebook is actually communicating. One of the wife's friends got bent out of shape when the wife didn't take time out to see her on a trip into town (she lives out of state).

"I didn't know you were here," said the wife.
"But I put it on my page and yours as well!" she said indignantly when the wife called her a week or two later - unrelated to checking Facebook, naturally.

I get the same thing with voicemail, which I never, ever check. People think leaving a message is the same as talking to me.....it's not.

Thankfully I'm blessed that my 18 year old son has the Nunya gene, as in "where you been?" "Nunya business." Plus I've successfully implanted the idea that when you record an event your memory will be of recording the event as much - if not more - than the event itself. I'd rather have the memory of a beautiful sunset than one of taking pictures of a beautiful sunset, or of tweeting or posting about how glorious it looks.

Just enjoy the sunset for what it is....no need to complicate or put an obstacle in the way of it.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3989790 - 08/02/14 05:38 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Social media are great, as long as you use them correctly. You don't blame cars in general if someone uses them to run people over, now do you? wink

It takes a little self-discipline to overcome the little vanity devil sitting on everyone's shoulder shedevil , a little knowledge about the technology, and a considerable amount of common sense to safely navigate the "web 2.0". Just refrain from posting stuff that you don't want the "public" to know about, and use the built-in tools (privacy settings) wisely. This does not make all SM evil; like any other tool, you just need to use them wisely.

BTW, message boards - such as this one - are the grandparents of social media (Facebook & Co just took the concept much further), so be careful what you knock.

I see a lot of people posting their own pictures here (see sticky thread further up), a lot of users here posting details about their personal lives, some even going as far as discussing marital problems and such. If you look at the numbers, there are a lot more people just lurking (not even registered) than posting, which means a considerable number of total "strangers" read even the most personal posts.

A couple of guys here have posted enough personal info on themselves over the years to make it quite easy to physically find them. All without Facebook. Just sayin.....

Last edited by Jayhawk; 08/02/14 05:44 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3989796 - 08/02/14 05:53 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

My wife works at a 911 call center. Someone dialing 911 because facebook isnt working? That not only seems normal to me but is so far from the worst things I have heard that it shouldnt even be a new story lol.

#3989810 - 08/02/14 07:03 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Me, I am glad I ditched FB earlier this year. Won't be going back.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3989819 - 08/02/14 07:37 PM Re: Facebook was down today, and some people called 911 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
The best use of Facebook I've ever seen is by an officer I served with - the guy is masterful in leveraging it to give the best picture of himself, humanizing him and his family.

No inane posts or updates, and most of it focuses not on himself so much as on events he participated in. When he was in the Sandbox(s), the operative word was "we" and it was either neutral or positive in nature. "Sergeant So-and-so's wife had a baby back home, and I know what a blessing having kids is" kind of stuff. Hell, his post on being promoted to LTC (five percenter) was more about how he appreciated the nice ceremony they put on for it than chest thumping. "Here's pictures of the community charity event that was held last week - it went really well and for a great cause" without overtly pointing out he was not only there but helped chair the event. Click the link and you'll find that out.

Of course I'm cynical and think "ooh, checked that block big time," but the truth is that he's that sort of guy. He'd help set up a charity event even if there wasn't a way for his rater and reviewer to see it easily or at all.

The posts about his family are thin, which makes when he does put something on there worth noting. His kids are great, smart kids. Anyone that has met them knows it, so no posts about straight A's....or dunning posts if they get a C. Nope, it's them helping at the charity event, earning a difficult badge in Girl or Boy Scouts, etc. And naturally it's the same for the wife - always cheerleading accomplishments without going over the top or smothering someone with them.

And never, ever anything remotely political.

I check my own page about once a year or so and respond to the "so are you dead or what?" messages. Funny how my peer group that is in the 45-55 year old demographic is beginning to Go West. Of the 27 of us that volunteered for the 101st from Fort Lewis, six have croaked of various causes. Being crass bastages, Swindle and I have a group photo we joke about marking with big red X's to keep track of who's died. And mark with hashes to count divorces.

The big difference between message boards like this one and social media is the level of personalization. If one were to parse the site for information on me it's all there - my name, address, marital status, buying habits, political views, etc. The difference is that one has to mine for the data, rather than having it prostituted in one easy to find and read document.

From Laser:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.