Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3988691 - 07/31/14 02:38 AM A shout out for Source Hydration Packs  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
For making some of the world's best hydration packs for civilians/military and customer service second to none.

They are based in Israel. That's where everything ships from when you put an order with them.

I got a hydration pack from them not long ago for my hiking and biking. The shipment was Israel Express Post with tracking and everything was good until it reached my shores and the local postal services somehow 'misplaced' the package. This is not uncommon here and obviously no fault of Source. I corresponded with Source tell them of the situation and after going AWOL for a protracted time I decided to order a replacement but requested for DHL Courier which have their own reliable distribution services in my country (so I don't have to rely on the local post).

To my surprise, Source just told me to put in my order and they will send it DHL at their expense.

How about that for going out on a limb for your customers. I insisted to pay for DHL all the same because it would not be nice expecting Source to fork the bill since its not their fault.

Thankfully we did not have to do that in the end. The original package got delivered by local post more than one month after landing at my shores.

And the product ? Super. Maintenance free. Easy to use, refill, easy to clean. Taste free. Robust. Tons of accessories.

Couldn't be happier. Customer for life with them.

[edit]

For civilian gear :-
http://sourceoutdoor.com/en/

For military gear :-
http://source-military.com/

Last edited by Harry-the-Ruskie; 07/31/14 02:46 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3988768 - 07/31/14 10:04 AM Re: A shout out for Source Hydration Packs [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Looks like some pretty nice gear, the prices are reasonable and I like the free shipping. I also like how they have winter-specific models, I currently have a Camelbak that I usually end up wearing under my outer layer while snowshoeing so there's some insulation from the cold. The problem is, even in below-zero temps I usually end up stripping down to just my mid-layer, which leaves the water freezing in the tube. I don't like to drin often enough to keep the tube ice-free but I usually have to. Do you know if they're made in Israel? Or like most things, are they made in China?

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#3988778 - 07/31/14 10:34 AM Re: A shout out for Source Hydration Packs [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
I'm not 100% positive where they are made but hey....if it's good enough for the IDF, it's good enough for me.

Klean Kanteen...one of the best water bottles I think that is out there is fully 100% US owned and managed but their production facilities is both Stateside and China, which as long as it is fully supervised and trained to the same high standards they set is really good enough no matter where they are made.

I don't like Camelbaks. For one, they don't ship direct (to my location). Their valves are not self-sealing at the tube disconnect and I have had a bunch of problems with their bite valves. I know a lot of people who swear by that brand. I know its a fully indigenous and 'Proudly Made in USA' (I think) but I'm just never been too impressed with their stuff. In any case, not all US companies are created equal. I wouldn't put Camelbak in the same league as Tom Bihn, or even Klean Kanteen in terms of quality and service.

The Source has been a real pleasure to use though. The 3L Widepack is easy to clean (not that you heardly ever need to clean it much if you are using plain water. It's mostly self-cleaning) and easy to refill. I have been riding with the pack on my back in the midday sun and the water remains cool.

Haven't tried their winter gear. I live in the Tropics.

#3988780 - 07/31/14 11:03 AM Re: A shout out for Source Hydration Packs [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I've only used Camelbaks and never had any problems Mountain biking with them, never heard of Source ones.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3988809 - 07/31/14 12:51 PM Re: A shout out for Source Hydration Packs [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
http://casanovasadventures.com/catalog/water/p308a.htm#.U9o35fl_tTE

This is the system I have been using for years, and it is exactly the same product as Source. I don't know if both companies formed some sort of joint-venture, or if one is the other's distribution partner. There is definitely some cooperation going on, though.

Anyway, best systems on the market, hands down.

I use the 2 liter version, which is more than adequate for hiking in the Alps. If one has the larger version, one tends to fill it up, which adds an additional kilogram to slug around (usually uphill). And as long as one stays above any settlement, usually every water source (running water!) is drinkable without previous purification. Plus there normally is an abundance of managed mountain huts where one can not only refill the drinking system, but also get meals and other, more suitable beverages (beer). wink

Last edited by Jayhawk; 07/31/14 01:01 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3988813 - 07/31/14 01:09 PM Re: A shout out for Source Hydration Packs [Re: Mace71]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
never heard of Source ones.

Gear heads in any good edc forum are always comparing one hydration pack with another. Source figures prominently in most discussions but if you have been happy with CamelBak all along, stick with it. No use fixing something that works for you.

#3988816 - 07/31/14 01:12 PM Re: A shout out for Source Hydration Packs [Re: Harry-the-Ruskie]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
With me it's not that I think China-made gear is inferior, just that I'd rather give my money to Americans if possible. My Carolina and Sorel boots and my 2 pairs of Tubbs snowshoes are all made in China and I have nothing but good things to say about them. The Tubbs are certainly as good as my American-made MSR snowshoes.

My biggest problem with my Camelbak is that the bite valve just slips onto the tube, and I've had it fall off before. Once I was wearing rain gear and didn't notice till I went to take a drink and found it leaking (no idea where the bite valve went.) The newer models have a shutoff valve at the end of the tube, but mine is way too old for that - they don't even make a reservoir dryer for mine. A new one is on my short list of things to get before winter, I'd been looking at Platypus (by Cascade Designs, parent company of MSR, Therm-A-Rest, etc) but now I'll take a better look at Source.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#3988823 - 07/31/14 01:48 PM Re: A shout out for Source Hydration Packs [Re: NH2112]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: NH2112
With me it's not that I think China-made gear is inferior, just that I'd rather give my money to Americans if possible. My Carolina and Sorel boots and my 2 pairs of Tubbs snowshoes are all made in China and I have nothing but good things to say about them. The Tubbs are certainly as good as my American-made MSR snowshoes.

I understand. All things being equal, I'll support local too. But these days, its hard to to find companies that do not outsource to some degree or another. For American companies, I think Tom Bihn is also 100% American manufactured. They make excellent backpacks, very personable staff and a pleasure to deal with.

In any case, Source is an Israel company.

Originally Posted By: NH2112
My biggest problem with my Camelbak is that the bite valve just slips onto the tube, and I've had it fall off before. Once I was wearing rain gear and didn't notice till I went to take a drink and found it leaking (no idea where the bite valve went.) The newer models have a shutoff valve at the end of the tube, but mine is way too old for that - they don't even make a reservoir dryer for mine. A new one is on my short list of things to get before winter, I'd been looking at Platypus (by Cascade Designs, parent company of MSR, Therm-A-Rest, etc) but now I'll take a better look at Source.

Same problem with my Camelbak. Long retired now. Haven't tried Platypus. Heard of them though.

You don't have to worry about a Source bite valve slipping out. They are not slip-on like a CamelBak but threaded onto the unit. You can easily detach the valve for cleaning by rotating the two halfs of the bite valve so that the marked indents on them are aligned whereupon the bite bit can be pulled off for cleaning or replacement. But its actually a very conscious effort to align the indents and to pull the valves apart. In practice during normal hydration, you won't pull it off accidentally no matter how earnestly you try. I never had any leakage or dribbles and the flow is good.

The other positive thing about their Helix valves is that its an easy twist with one hand to open the flow before biting down, so when its fully shut it won't leak even if you accidentally apply pressure to the bite valve.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.