Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3988715 - 07/31/14 03:45 AM On the fluidity/responsivenes/clunkiness of the character  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Quote:
Rocket - It's a difficult area to define but it is a subject I have discussed at great length with programmers, designers, etc... across multiple projects including when I was on Arma3 as well as DayZ. It's a discussing that brings up passionate arguments for all sides and I can assure you that at Bohemia there are hugely passionate people and it's often discussed.

Consider a very fluid game like Counter-strike. Why is it so fluid? Why does Payday feel very fluid? There are many reasons for this, I will discuss a few and their impact:

Different animations for client and everyone else.

Take for example Payday. Your character displays different animations for others characters than what you see in first person. Your eyes are not located in the camera's location. Your weapon is not in the same position on your screen as it is when on the animations of others. Arma has its basis in realism so there is a very core focus on matching everything. This makes an enormous difficult task of placing enough of the weapon in your first person view to see what you are holding, without making you look crazy/weird in third person. This affects responsiveness and what we can do.

Response to mouse movement is greatly increased in reaction-shooter games like Counterstrike.

That's why they're called reaction/twitch shooters. When you move your mouse your character goes there. Often no head-bob and very fast responsiveness.

I, personally, despise this in video games. I want to take all the designers who design warfare games who do this out for a few weeks in the field. Now, I may have been a terrible shot (and believe me, I was), and my eyesight is not amazing. But I was not alone in the military in that when I was moving, I could not see a damn thing. If I had to describe my body as something during fire and movement I would use words like "uncoordinated, janky". I am wearing body armor, webbing, ammunition, weapon, sidearm, kneepads, helmet, night-vision, maps, compass, waterbottles/camel-back, PRR, goggles, maybe an M72 or an M203. After loading up for a patrol, I often considered the fact I could move as defying the law of physics.

There are plenty of video games that do twitch shooters. Why don't we have one that does not do this, something different? Why don't we explore that and see if there is an answer that doesn't involve instant responses and relies on who is best in the traditional FPS. The problem we do face is that yes, often in the "real world" the delay does not seem as long between deciding to do something and doing it. I discussed this with a psychologist friend who suggested that this might be because in "real life" you feel the movement so you get a sense it is happening, that action is underway. When you decide you want to do something in DayZ, you must wait for it to happen.

Animation transitions

We have actually reintroduced some of these that we took out before. This is because the level of immersion and even the "clunkiness" of it was actually something that defined the series. It caused some delay in doing movements that, in real life, would take some time. There is constant work on improving these - but it is impossible to know if a transition is truly right until it has been tested for many hours. I suspect our animation team will continue their diligent work on this for many years.

Player Controller

Not controls, controller. This is the system the engine uses to convert your key presses into movements of the player. The current system is quite dated, and it has been reworked many times - perhaps a few too many. So we're redoing it from scratch. Please note: this is not player controls (which we already redid, improving the mouse movement greatly) - but the method the engine uses to deal with things.

Conclusion

So in part I agree with the problems you raise - but I do believe that your definition of "fluid/responsive" is not the same as mine. It is not called "firemovement" in the army, it is called "fire and movement". This is because you cannot be effective firing and moving at the same time. My theory is because the human body is clunky and janky, especially when loaded with a bunch of crap.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3989210 - 08/01/14 05:53 AM Re: On the fluidity/responsivenes/clunkiness of the character [Re: Ajay]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Good post. If he's implementing something closer to realisitc weapon mounting and firing, I'm all for it.

#3989540 - 08/02/14 12:20 AM Re: On the fluidity/responsivenes/clunkiness of the character [Re: Ajay]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
One of the reasons I've always liked the ARMA series is that its different in this regard, well that and virtual jogging.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3993026 - 08/09/14 10:31 AM Re: On the fluidity/responsivenes/clunkiness of the character [Re: Ajay]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
I'm not sure if rocket is really grasping just how off-putting the clunkiness is to new players.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.