Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3988230 - 07/30/14 10:42 AM Beginners help required from you guys  
undercovergeek Offline
undercovergeek  Offline

UK
Lurked here for years, finally registered a while ago to get involved with the ARMA MP sessions

I recently read the AAR and saw the screenshots for the Apache mod for Arma II and thought it looked outstanding. Ive reinstalled the game, played the mod and the level of depth is awesome and im thoroughly enjoying crashing into trees trying to fly with keyboard and mouse. Even just sat there looking at all the equipment and switching modes on the panels has been immerssive

Ive been a C64/PC gamer since 1984 and the only time i ever dabbled with flight simmery was F16 by Microprose (i hope thats right), but it never installed on the C64 so got Way of the Exploding Fist instead - im at a junction now, ive never flight simmed and therefore am sadly devoid of all the necessary accessories i see you guys using, and i have little skill in taking to the skies............

so, if i was to get my first sim (and i do want to shoot enemies, none of this flying to tropical islands or landing at Chicago in the rain) that i could test whether they were for me or not before investing in the right kit, what would you guys suggest

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3988237 - 07/30/14 11:12 AM Re: Beginners help required from you guys [Re: undercovergeek]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

These would be good for a entry level Flight Simmer for light sims:

Thrustmaster

Mad Cat

#3988239 - 07/30/14 11:17 AM Re: Beginners help required from you guys [Re: undercovergeek]  
undercovergeek Offline
undercovergeek  Offline

UK
awesome - and the game to unleash these upon?

#3988241 - 07/30/14 11:20 AM Re: Beginners help required from you guys [Re: undercovergeek]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Hi,

You can try DCS World for free, either on Steam or off, and fly the Su-25T either in full sim mode or arcade. BUT, you will not be able to 'feel' the sim with mouse and keyboard so bear that in mind.

If you continue with sims I would say TrackIR is a must have as it adds so much immersion and situational awareness and you really do need a stick with a throttle at the very least, a HOTAS would preferential though.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3988245 - 07/30/14 11:26 AM Re: Beginners help required from you guys [Re: undercovergeek]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Well, gathering from your preference, i would suggest the following:

Strike Fighters 2 but can be a tad expensive for each of the theatures.
IL2 1946: a complex WW2 game but you can dial it down with the options. Its cheap at GOG.
Digital Combat Simulator World is free with just the Su-25 and P-51 to fly around with and those planes are simple compared to the released add-ons.

#3988280 - 07/30/14 01:21 PM Re: Beginners help required from you guys [Re: DaBBQ]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Originally Posted By: DaBBQ
These would be good for a entry level Flight Simmer for light sims:

Thrustmaster

Mad Cat

I have a question for me......do either of these sticks have twist rudder? I'm looking for a replacement for an AV8R and need the twist rudder.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#3988282 - 07/30/14 01:43 PM Re: Beginners help required from you guys [Re: Airdrop01]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: Airdrop01

I have a question for me......do either of these sticks have twist rudder? I'm looking for a replacement for an AV8R and need the twist rudder.
Both of those are twisty sticks for rudder.
The thrustmaster also has a rudder bar on the front of the throttle, I have been using one of those TM. sticks since about 2002 as my spare stick when I don't want to use the Cougar, also I let my 4yo grandson use the TM stick as it's spring is not as strong as the Cougars.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#3988311 - 07/30/14 02:25 PM Re: Beginners help required from you guys [Re: undercovergeek]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Rise of Flight is also free, and like DCS World gives you a couple of planes to try. The vast majority of the planes you must pay for, of course, but you get to learn about it and decide if you like it first.

RoF is WWI, which may or may not interest you.

Strike Fighters 2 is cheap for any single title, it only gets pricey if you decide to buy them all at once. It's probably far easier to jump in and learn than any of the other mentioned here. Very forgiving but lets you up it when you're ready. SF2 is basically 60s/70s jets.

Il-2:1946 is WWII.

DCS World is roughly 90s/00s with a couple outliers like the P-51 and UH-1 in there.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3988318 - 07/30/14 02:32 PM Re: Beginners help required from you guys [Re: undercovergeek]  
undercovergeek Offline
undercovergeek  Offline

UK
thanks for your advice chaps - im looking at SF2

#3988321 - 07/30/14 02:33 PM Re: Beginners help required from you guys [Re: undercovergeek]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I love the rocker rudder switch that was on my X-45. Great design but only that and the one listed here are the only sticks I know that use that.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#3988670 - 07/31/14 02:01 AM Re: Beginners help required from you guys [Re: undercovergeek]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Originally Posted By: undercovergeek
Lurked here for years, finally registered a while ago to get involved with the ARMA MP sessions

I recently read the AAR and saw the screenshots for the Apache mod for Arma II and thought it looked outstanding. Ive reinstalled the game, played the mod and the level of depth is awesome and im thoroughly enjoying crashing into trees trying to fly with keyboard and mouse. Even just sat there looking at all the equipment and switching modes on the panels has been immerssive

Arma is pretty accommodating in terms of the type of controllers.

If you ever watch Dslyecxi's videos, he flies with mouse/keyboard and is simply phenomenal at it. Check it out :-

Also, check out his Art of Flight series at Youtube for Arma.

Whatever controls you prefer, I highly suggest Dslyecxi's recommendation for a TrackIR. I think if you search for Dslyecxi TrackIR he'll give you some pointers and how you can get a better deal on acquiring a unit.

It may take some getting use to when you get a TrackIR. I know I fiddle with it somewhat to get a right setting for myself. I did put in a larger deadzone because I have a wobbly head. Mapping an easily accessible key to disable TrackIR when you aim down Arma ironsights is a prerequisite for me as I tend to drift the impact point if I do not switch TIR off during the shot. But you get used to the mechanics of usage after a while. I cannot play Arma without a TIR now. Just feels strange without one.

For my Arma setup, I use my old CH Prod Fighterstick USB, keyboard for collective and the pedal unit from my Logitech G27 for rudders. I feel I get a more precise collective response using keyboard strokes but use whatevcer you are comfortable with.

I'm no Dslyecxi but I would consider myself above average from the typical folks you see online when it comes to helos. You can do some really crazy low level stuff with the Little Bird with a little practice. It's a great game to get stuck into flying helos.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.