Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3987990 - 07/29/14 07:56 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: SkateZilla]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
that's where the flight aware track data would have been nice to have

Probably never got high enough to register anyway. I'm thinking he was on initial climb out and hadn't even made pattern altitude.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3987993 - 07/29/14 08:01 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Top Gun]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I can't help thinking about the irony of the guy being an Army Sergeant who had just gotten assigned to a base in Alaska. It isn't hard to imagine the conversation between him and his wife of nine years.
"It's going to be pretty damn cold up there," he says to her.
"Yes," she answers, "But at least you aren't going to Iraq of Afghanistan. You'll be cold but you'll be safe."
Geez, life can blow sometimes. And I sure wouldn't want to be the guy who has to live with this for the rest of his life. Don't be too quick to judge him if you've never been in the situation. I've had to declare an emergency once, when I was flying, and it's unpleasant.
And flight plans? I hardly ever filed one. Only on long trips. Hell, I wasn't flying over the middle of the Amazon. If I went down, lots of people were gonna see me.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3987995 - 07/29/14 08:04 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Like OG said, no way enough info.

The guy knew enough to land on the much harder sand next to the water though, people not from the beach might not. Landing in the "soft" sand would have been as bad or worse then the water.

Looks like a couple of no win decision choices at this point for the pilot, and not much time to make them.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3987996 - 07/29/14 08:04 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: SkateZilla]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
that's where the flight aware track data would have been nice to have

You aren't going to get tracked on flight aware unless you are on flight following with a squawk and high enough to make radar contact. Even then, unless you are IFR, you probably won't show up.

#3987998 - 07/29/14 08:04 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Top Gun]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Question regarding takeoff sequence:

The only time I flew on a GA plane was with my boss in the late 90s. He had a Piper Aztec. One thing that struck me was the amount of time between engine start and actually heading down the runway on the roll was quite extended as he went through his checklist. I remember wondering just how much gas was burned up sitting there.

Is it done to help the engine warm-up for flight? Could the odds of engine failure be increased if your time from start up to take off is too quick? Not to say that happened in this instance, more of a general question.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3987999 - 07/29/14 08:07 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Jedi Master]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

The only time I flew on a GA plane was with my boss in the late 90s. He had a Piper Aztec. One thing that struck me was the amount of time between engine start and actually heading down the runway on the roll was quite extended as he went through his checklist. I remember wondering just how much gas was burned up sitting there.

Is it done to help the engine warm-up for flight? Could the odds of engine failure be increased if your time from start up to take off is too quick? Not to say that happened in this instance, more of a general question.

The Jedi Master

I'm usually in the air within 10 minutes.

Standard procedure is to do an engine run up before takeoff. That's where you are looking for any abnormalities, checking mags, carb heat, amp meter, gyro suction, etc.

#3988003 - 07/29/14 08:14 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Jedi Master]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

The Jedi Master

In a C172, there is an engine temperature gage that should be in the green band before you take off.

However, in my experience, the time it takes to get the engine started, set radios, get the ATIS, request taxi, taxi and perform all the runup checks usually takes longer than the amount of time it takes the engine to warm up (in a C172SP), but that totally depends on the starting temp of the engine and the temperature outside. If it was a morning flight during a colder time of year, I would sometimes find myself sitting in the runup area with everything done, just waiting for the temp gage to get into the green band. Or in a few occasions, I had to wait for the needle to come up off the bottom of the gage before even starting my runup (advice given by my instructor).

The amount of fuel used depends on aircraft type and other factors, but it was pretty trivial in a C172. The needle on the fuel flow gage spent most of the time near the 0.

Last edited by malibu43; 07/29/14 08:18 PM.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3988013 - 07/29/14 08:37 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Top Gun]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
You are pretty low in the power settings for taxi and most of the checklist and run-up. In a small GA aircraft it is probably around 3 gallons per hour. So you will burn maybe a gallon or gallon and a half through the whole thing. I believe for most GA single engines you use 1 1/2 gallons for fuel planning. So it is pretty minor.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3988015 - 07/29/14 08:44 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Top Gun]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Local news confirmed just now that the daughter has indeed passed away.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3988568 - 07/30/14 10:28 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Top Gun]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Originally Posted By: Top Gun
LINK

Father killed, daughter injured when small plane crash-lands on Florida beach

[quote]?...Unless his windshield was covered with oil and he couldn't see out the front, to me this is pretty inexcusable... Hope they take his license away...

Someone's been playing too much Rise of Flight :-)

You can't really judge if you weren't there. He may have not had the altitude or speed to choose. The surf may have been just as packed as the beach. Etc etc

#3988586 - 07/30/14 10:54 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Top Gun]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#3988686 - 07/31/14 02:30 AM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Top Gun]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
I don't mean to be a jerk, but maybe planes need horns for warning in such circumstances.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#3988688 - 07/31/14 02:36 AM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Top Gun]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
What if the beach goer is deaf?

#3988735 - 07/31/14 06:43 AM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Top Gun]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Hit us with a stick to get our attention.

#3989030 - 07/31/14 07:24 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: coasty]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: coasty
I don't mean to be a jerk, but maybe planes need horns for warning in such circumstances.

That (IMHO) is a big part of what is going to grind our US economy to a screeching halt at some point.

How much would it cost to retrofit every aircraft out there with horn? Actually - back up a step. How much time and money would it cost to draft and implement regulation to require a horn on certain aircraft? Then actually add horns. And then have them be inspected and replaced. That would all have some significant cost, that would impact flying hours, aircraft sold/rented, and ultimately jobs and excess income to pour back into the economy. What value does it actually add? How many deaths in the last 5 years could have been prevented had aircraft had horns?

(get's on soap box)

Our society/culture/government is becoming tolerant of less and less risk, regardless of how big the risk is and what the cost would be to effectively mitigate it. "Perfection at all costs" was a term I saw in a recent AOPA magazine, and I think that's the mentality that's taking over. "Perfection" is something that isn't achievable, and once you commit to achieving it at all costs... Hopefully it needs no further explanation.

This applies to everything (food, medical devices, drugs, auto safety, etc...) not just aviation.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3989150 - 08/01/14 01:11 AM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: malibu43]  
ForSquirrels Offline
Veteran
ForSquirrels  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: malibu43

That (IMHO) is a big part of what is going to grind our US economy to a screeching halt at some point.

How much would it cost to retrofit every aircraft out there with horn? Actually - back up a step. How much time and money would it cost to draft and implement regulation to require a horn on certain aircraft? Then actually add horns. And then have them be inspected and replaced. That would all have some significant cost, that would impact flying hours, aircraft sold/rented, and ultimately jobs and excess income to pour back into the economy. What value does it actually add? How many deaths in the last 5 years could have been prevented had aircraft had horns?

(get's on soap box)

Our society/culture/government is becoming tolerant of less and less risk, regardless of how big the risk is and what the cost would be to effectively mitigate it. "Perfection at all costs" was a term I saw in a recent AOPA magazine, and I think that's the mentality that's taking over. "Perfection" is something that isn't achievable, and once you commit to achieving it at all costs... Hopefully it needs no further explanation.

This applies to everything (food, medical devices, drugs, auto safety, etc...) not just aviation.

Just throw an air horn in the cockpit that you can hang out a window or something. If you're coming in quietly enough to get surprised you'd sure as hell hear an air horn.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

XBL: fmdckr81
#3989151 - 08/01/14 01:17 AM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Top Gun]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
rofl

#3989209 - 08/01/14 05:51 AM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Top Gun]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China

Why reinvent the wheel?

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#3989276 - 08/01/14 12:46 PM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: Top Gun]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yeah, I was just thinking "why not replace the normal prop on a RAT with the one the Stuka siren used?"

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3989644 - 08/02/14 09:34 AM Re: Pilots please check in on this for me [Re: malibu43]  
Turbo Offline
Turbo  Offline

Originally Posted By: malibu43

(get's on soap box)

Aren't you overreacting a wee bit, especially since there's no such action taking place? Anyway, I seem to vaguely recall an aircraft with a horn installed.

Celebrating 35+ years in the field of avionics....my how time flies!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.