Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3987807 - 07/29/14 03:21 PM Hawaii for a first timer  
Archangel Offline
Archangel  Offline

Canada, eh!
Mrs. Archangel and I have a couple weeks booked for holidays in Mid-September and we are leaning towards going to Hawaii for the first time. We have never been there and I am actively soliciting advice on which island(s) to go to, where to stay and things to do.

Goals for our trip:

#1 - Relax
#2 - A little bit of sightseeing/short hikes (<2 mile) and maybe some minor touristy stuff. Check out a volcano? Maybe snorkeling?
#3 - A couple decent restaurants somewhat nearby if we do want to eat out (probably prep our own meals generally).
#4 - Relax

We are not fans of big crowds and hectic city life and associated noise.

Ideally, I'd like a place near (or even on?) a nice beach so we can sleep in, wake up, grab a coffee and veg out on the sand and splash around in the water.

A couple of our friends have been there a few times and they say out of the islands they've been to Maui would probably fit the bill the best.

We're thinking of renting a condo or something as opposed to hoteling it. Seems a bit cheaper but also will have a kitchen so we can do our own meals if we want. We plan on staying around 12-ish days. I am not against going to multiple islands, but there is also an appeal to finding the "ideal" place and just staying there for the trip.

Does Maui sound like where we should go? If so, which part of the island should we focus on for staying? Should we line up a car rental too?

Budget is relatively open-ended, but to throw a number out there let's say I'd like to keep it under an "average" of approx $350-$400 per day total excluding airfare (lodging/food/car rental).. there is certainly some discretion either way though.

It's just the two of us (I am 40 & she is mid 30s).

Advice? Resources to look at?

Thanks! smile

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3987867 - 07/29/14 05:02 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
I second Maui. My in-laws live there and I have been a few times. The island strikes a nice balance between being relaxing/quiet and still having plenty of affordable options for restaurants and things to do beside sit on a beach.

I would recommend staying somewhere in Kapalua.

You could always just do a day or two on Oahu (just a 45 minute flight or so) so you can see things like Pearl Harbor, Arizona memorial, etc...

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3987879 - 07/29/14 05:16 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
I've only been there once, we were on Oahu for a week. Couple of days on Waikiki beach ( hotel was on the beach ), then visit to Pearl Harbor, one day climbing Diamond Head, and a few days just bumming around. Rented a car and drove counterclockwise around the island, visiting all of the beaches and a few of the places to eat; that was my favorite part. I hate schedules and guided tours with a passion!

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#3987883 - 07/29/14 05:18 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Oahu in fall is going to be crowded with tourists who know to dodge the hotter summer months. I'd second Maui, or even the Big Island for relaxing, since it's usually less crowded. I only went to that one for a day, so I can't really give you any good recommendations for restaurants.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#3988083 - 07/29/14 10:57 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
Archangel Offline
Archangel  Offline

Canada, eh!
Maui is sounding better and better then. Is there anything that is a must see on another island or is it reasonable to stay on Maui the whole time?

#3988096 - 07/29/14 11:56 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Our own BeachAV8R did a GREAT write up on where he stayed in Kauai recently, certainly worth a look. Sorry don't have a link.

Lived on Maui for some months a loooooong time ago, no current info here.

Oahu??? Nahhh. nope

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3988103 - 07/30/14 12:23 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

If you visit Maui, don't stay in Lahaini. It's a tacky tourist trap. I recommend "up country" in Kula.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3988110 - 07/30/14 12:44 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Quote:
I've only been there once, we were on Oahu for a week. Couple of days on Waikiki beach ( hotel was on the beach ), then visit to Pearl Harbor, one day climbing Diamond Head, and a few days just bumming around. Rented a car and drove counterclockwise around the island, visiting all of the beaches and a few of the places to eat; that was my favorite part. I hate schedules and guided tours with a passion!

I did the exact same thing, same island, nearly same beach.... was at the Military Hotel there... only thing I did more was 6 scuba dives... was awesome.

#3988111 - 07/30/14 12:58 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
James McKenzie-Smith Offline
James McKenzie-Smith  Offline

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Archangel
Resources to look at?

Google Earth street view. It's a great way to look around a place before you decide to go.

#3988132 - 07/30/14 02:07 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
The Nephilim Offline
S3D GuRu
The Nephilim  Offline
S3D GuRu
Hotshot

3rd Stone from the Sun !!
Ahh I would plan a tripe Elsewhere besides the Islands.. I went there in 2007 Oahu and it was a mess..

But I don't want too ruin anyones vision of the Islands..

Yes It is pretty at the Islands... Just be careful. of "The Ice" Problem there.. you wanna know more PM I'll tell you straight up..

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.8GHZ / ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4AC Motherboard / Asus 1080GTX OC / SoundBlaster Z / Windows 10 64bit / Reverb G2 VR Gear. / Thrustmaster Cougar + MFD's / Buttkicker Simulation / Thrustmaster Cougar
#3988138 - 07/30/14 02:29 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Drugs. There was heroin in Lahaina when I lived there. Some creeps.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3988139 - 07/30/14 02:31 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: James McKenzie-Smith]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted By: James McKenzie-Smith
Originally Posted By: Archangel
Resources to look at?

Google Earth street view. It's a great way to look around a place before you decide to go.

All my vacations are planned this way, no other way I would go.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3988149 - 07/30/14 02:41 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
CBSKentucky Offline
CBSKentucky  Offline

Atlanta
Week 1 - The Big Island - stay in Hilo and take a kayak across Kealakekua Bay and go snorkeling (where Capt. Cook landed and subsequently died) - take random trips touring around the island - go get lost and have fun.

Week 2 - Stay in Princeville on Kauai. See the Grand Canyon of the Pacific; take Kuhio highway to Hanalei all the way to the end of the road to where the Na Pali coast begins; arrange a catamaran trip down the Na Pali coast.

Profit.

#3988152 - 07/30/14 02:42 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
I stayed at the same place Magnum did the year before. He got a higher floor I recall but we had the same view.

There are fireworks about 9:00-9:20 every Friday night over the beach at the Hilton Hawaiian next to Hale Koa. You should take at least one walk in the evening from one end of Waikiki to the other. The people watching is fun. Also, there is a great Catholic Church, St. Augustine by Sea, down toward the east end. Just waking up and drinking coffee on the lanai or on the beach is worthwhile. Or just drinking a beer in the evening looking at the moon in the south.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#3988171 - 07/30/14 04:32 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
I live near the Arizona memorial, but have only been to Maui and the Big Island for a few days each.

If you're looking to rent a place and want to hang out at the beach primarily, away from the tourist stuff, then you may want to look into Kailua/Lanikai on Oahu. I'm a huge fan of Lanikai...very nice, white sand beach away from the crowds of Waikiki, relatively calm water even in winter, there is some snorkeling there although the visibility isn't all that great...it's a nice place to just chill and Kailua is a nice small town.

Generally I wouldn't recommend 12 days on Oahu though. Although you could find stuff to do for 12 days, Oahu is the busiest of the islands and probably isn't what you're thinking of when you think of Hawaii.

Having been to both Maui and Hawaii, I think I prefer Hawaii for chilling out, and Maui if you're into some adventure...although both offer some of each.

Hawaii is a big island. You can drive around Oahu in an afternoon, but Hawaii will take a good day or more. Hilo and Kona are quite different. You also have Kilauea erupting on Hawaii, and it is very neat to go see the volcano and tour all of the lava flows. If you go to the top and then drive down to the south coast there are flows, black sand beaches, and it's a neat driving tour. Hilo is quite chill and seems like a good place to hang out, although I understand it rains there a lot. I didn't make it out to Kona, but that's a good 3+ hours from Hilo so you'll want to hub on one side or the other.

For Maui, we did two trips. One was a honeymoon 15 years ago where we hung out on the beach on Kaanapali at a resort. It is a nice area, nice beaches, and Lahaina is nearby for some tourist stuff. The last time we went was just for 4 days. We did a trip up to the top of Haleakala, an extinct volcano, and then mountain biked down. I VERY HIGHLY recommend this trip if you go to Maui. It is so much fun and totally worth it. They will take you for the sunrise trip (up at like 4am) or in mid-morning. We did mid-morning. They take you to the top, you check it all out, and then drive back down to about 7000 feet. From there you get on a mountain bike and essentially coast back down the mountain for 2 hours back to the shop. Super cool. We also did the road to Hana. You can Google that and get all sorts of info. We elected to take a tour bus, which has pluses and minuses. It's a long trip- about 7 hours round. Very slow, dangerous road. There is a lot to see on the trip and without a guide you'll miss stuff. With a guide, you'll be at the mercy of where/when the guide stops. Either way, plan on doing it to get the check in the box...it's neat. Unfortunately I can't give you too much more info on Maui since we stayed on a resort both times.

If you're going for 12 days, plane tickets are about $89/pp one way. I just bought tickets to go to Kauai in December. You may really like to consider doing two islands. Although it's a bit more inconvenient, each island has a distinct personality and I definitely would encourage you to try to see two...especially if you stay on Oahu for part of your vacation. The outer islands are much different than Oahu.

Regarding drugs...I've lived here 6 years total now, and been to Maui and Hawaii also, and I have never had any problem with druggies. That shouldn't even factor into your thoughts.

Oh, Maui has insane diving at Molokini crater. I have not done that, but it looks amazing and is pretty easy to do from Maui if you're there.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#3988173 - 07/30/14 04:44 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Just be careful if you rent a car and park it at a hiking spot. People over there like to mess with tourists by cutting fuel/brake lines. SO dont park anywhere isolated or do anything to provoke locals. Just a heads up. DO a search for horror stories if you want.

#3988174 - 07/30/14 04:50 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Guys, what's with all the horror stories?

There is some crime in Hawaii. Especially in isolated places. Be smart and exercise some common sense. Don't park somewhere completely and utterly isolated, and if you do, don't leave anything whatsoever valuable in your car.

Rental cars are easy to spot because they have barcodes on them. It's not a big deal. Just don't leave your purse out, or for that matter, even take it with you, and lock up your car.

I live here and I have never heard of somebodies brake line or fuel like being cut. I'm sure Google would prove it's happened, but you all make it sound like it's the wild west out here, and it's not.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#3988175 - 07/30/14 04:51 AM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, some parts are, but a little common sense and you'll be just fine.

Edit: and one more thing I thought of...I don't want to turn this into a Toonces local thread. The tourist spots are tourist spots for a reason. There are things to see and do there. To put it into perspective, I'm taking 3 days/2 nights to stay at the Hale Koa in downtown Waikiki, and spending the $300+ even though it's only about 10 miles from my house. I'm doing this because even though I live nearby, I don't get to see all of the tourist stuff you'd see if you were just staying there. So even though I live here, I want to "be a tourist" for a weekend and get the experience. Waikiki isn't easy to get into, it's expensive to park there, and the traffic makes it enough of a hassle that I probably have less than 6 full days on the beach there.

My point is, don't knock the tourist stuff just because it's tourist. Sure, I don't encourage you to spend 12 days in Waikiki (which you're not), but on the same note, it warrants a day trip, just to see what the big deal is.

If I was going to do 12 days in Hawaii, just going off the top of my head, my advice might be:

Day 1: Arrive Oahu; chill at beach in evening.
Day 2: Waikiki day.
Day 3: Leave a.m. to Hilo. See downtown Hilo, chill at the beach.
Day 4: Drive to the top of Kilauea, see the volcano, do a hike up there. Possibly do the driving tour down the south coast and back to Hilo (could be two days depending on how vigorously you like to hike).
Day 5: Drive the east side and see the waterfalls.
Day 6: Leave a.m. to Maui. Chill in Kaanapali at beach.
Day 7: Haleakala bike trip.
Day 8: Road to Hana trip.
Day 9: Beach day.
Day 10: Tourist day in Lahaina. Leave p.m. to Honolulu.
Day 11: Arizona memorial/WW2 stuff in Pearl Harbor. Drive up windward side to North Shore and check out surf if there are waves.
Day 12: Waikiki day; leave p.m. for home.

Last edited by toonces; 07/30/14 05:55 AM.

#3988275 - 07/30/14 01:02 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I drove all week, parked everywhere...never had a problem, everyone was actually nice and cool... the only hostility I ever saw was a sign or two demanding Hawaii break from the US or something like that.

BTW, here's the last minute of the weekly firework show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOK05axEmV8

along with scuba dive videos on my page. If you scuba dive or snorkel.

#3988303 - 07/30/14 02:16 PM Re: Hawaii for a first timer [Re: Archangel]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I live an hour from Orlando yet I still stay there all the time in hotels. For one, a two hour round trip for several days of vacation is NOT fun. For another, aside from the relative ease of getting there, once you're there you could be ANYWHERE...you're not sleeping at home, you're away.

Also, we tend to stay at places with shuttle service to the theme parks so we don't have to park (and pay for it) and play "find the car" at the end of the day. wink

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.