Hop To
#3987632 - 07/29/14 09:10 AM PzBtl911(v) AAR "Hasty Defense 01-B (UK)" *****  
Duke911 Offline
Schlappeseppel
Duke911  Offline
Schlappeseppel

Hessen/ Germany
Servus,

Rolling Thunder will start next week, so time to finish some AARs.

We played this mission on the 25th of may. Hoggydog the CO of UK Armor invited the international community to
participate. Thank you again Hoggy.

The mission is an old classic scenario, made by Volcano.

Here you can see the briefing:

Hoggydog was also leading us through the mission. I was the 14 platoon commander equipped with 3 IFV Warrior.
Each Warrior had one MILAN team and one Rifle squad (with AT-4).

Here you can see his plan on the map:

My job was to take a defensive position in the north with main effort along the main road.
To my right are 3 tank troops in line formation.
The supply situation for our tanks was not so good. So the main job after starting the mission, was to resupply our tanks with ammo. My MILAN teams had 2 missiles each, and we had some more stored in the Warriors.

The mission started and I moved to my position. Here are some pictures from my Warrior and the commanders place:

To make the mikromanagement a little bit easier, I splitted the platoon and gave every Warrior a path to his battle position:

My Warrior overwatched the dismounting of my Infantry:

view from the gunner position

MILAN gunner view

all my callsings are in position

During the deployment of my units, our recce guys were screening the area in front of us, to find out the enemy main effort attack direction.

The first contact was an enemy recon platoon with BRDM-2s in the north and a section of BMPs in the center.

x+13

Red was screening too and very aggressive. A short time later our Scimitars reported 3 Mi-24s to the north moving to the southwest. Our recce guys reported also more BMPs and tanks in the center. The tank troop in the south had also contact with BRDM-2s. Hoggy ordered the Scimitars in a hidden position and ordered the tanks to destroy the incomming HINDs.

x+14

One of my MILAN teams spotted the HINDs too:

The HINDs were very quick and the Scimitar platoon in the center lost 2 callsings.

x+16

In the next picture you can see one Scimitar in fire fight against a HIND (flying in position 1). But there was an overwatching HIND in position 2, and this HIND took him out.

x+17

Now the 3rd tank troop was in contact and started to engage the enemy HINDs.

x+17

They lost one callsign too.

x+18

our OC in action

During the tanks fighted against the HINDs, our northern recon section (81 and 81B) had contact to 2 BRDM-2s. One of my MILAN team had a perfect view in this situation. So I could report everything.

x+19

x+20

x+21

81B took one out and also our tanks destroyed the last HIND and a BRDM-2 in the south.
The tank troop in the center was now full of ammo and moved to his battle position.
Now it was time to resupply the tanks in the south.

x+23

New SITREPs came over the company net. An enemy tank company supported by BMPs in the center and BMPs and BRDMs in the south. Our FO supported with some Arty missions. But the situation was not so bad. We had 2 tank troops in position and the 3rd troop and the XO tank in a flanking position to the south. Our tanks took out 2 enemy tanks and 1 BMP very quickly.
One minute later the 82C reported more tanks in front of him and he moved to a hidden position.

x+24

Meanwhile my Grunts had some Tea.

Hoggy ordered the southern tanks to start a counterattack in the flank of the enemy tanks.

x+26

I think all of our tanks were fighting in this time and the 1st tank troop to my right lost one callsign. But good news the enemy lost more tanks.

x+26

Our XO and the 3rd troop started their counterattack, but enemy BMPs were moving in, it was very close.

our XO in contact

x+27

So our counterattack was over 1 minute after starting. The ammo status of the southern tanks was very low.

x+28

Hoggy ordered the northern Scimitars to the center.

81 passed my standing patrol

Bad news to my right. The tank troop to my right was destroyed, the Challenger of our OC was also destroyed.
He jumped in an other callsign and ordered the 3rd tank troop back and more in the center.
2nd tank troop in the centre gave the enemy tanks a bloody nose.

x+30

Hoggy ordered my platoon back to the center, in a blocking position behind the 2nd troop.
Come on guys tea time is over.

x+31

How can I describe it? You have to be quick and my MILAN teams walked back to the Warriors very unhurriedly.

PLEASE eSim, MAKE THESE GUYS FASTER IN THE NEXT UPDATE. MY GRANDMA IS FASTER WITH MILAN EQUIPMENT (WE TESTED IT IN MUNSTER).

x+33

I prepared a path and sent Warrior by Warrior immediatly to their new postion, after they picked up their Infantry.
No time for formation drills, quick, quick move on guys.

x+34

The last man standing for the 2nd troop. Tanks to the north, south and east.

x+35

I sent my Warriors on the road to their next position. It is faster then cross country.

x+36

My mikromanagement in this situation was not perfect. I had trouble with one Warrior, so I lost valuable time.
You can see the large distances between the callsigns.
In the next picture you can see an other mistake of me. One path is going through a swamp area, so I lost more seconds.

x+40

My ordered postion was on hill 202. I decided (after I noticed my swamp mistake) not to go on hill 202.
I sent one callsing to Eichenzell and one callsign to a ridge north of Eichenzell.

x+41

Tanks on hill 202. Come on Grunts go out and fight, quick...
In this situation Marko requested an IFV and I gave him the Warrior in Eichenzell.
We started to dismount our Infantry.

And my MILAN team walked very relaxed to their new position, and walked and walked......
I tried to gave them more time and started to engage the enemy tanks with my 30mm gun.

Time to pop up smoke, to many tanks in front.

He, he the MILAN has a TIS.

My third callsign arrived a little bit to late.

I sent my other callsign to a hidden position in a forest. He got some hits, better to take him out of the line.

Unfortunatly my third callsign arrived and died. Another mistake by me. The endpoint of the path was ok. But I gave the order to defend and not to stay. He was moving up the ridge and bumm...RIP.

x+45

No more missiles and the enemy tanks break through our lines.

It`s hard to be in a perfect position and to have to more missiles. Marko had the same problem and so we could do nothing more to stop the enemy.

x+ 46

Last try to bring some missiles to the MILAN team, but the mission was over.

scoring board:

Here a screenshot from the end. In the AAR you can see all enemy units.

You can switch between: only show spotted units or all units.

Now a short overview about the battle, were you can see all units:

x+17

x+37

x+42

x+47

A very difficult mission. You have a very large combat area and low ammo.
I think to resupply of all tanks first in one area, and to deplay them closer will be better.
But Hoggy and all of us, tried their best and next time we will do it better.

Thank you to UK Armor for the invitation, thank you to TankHunter for hosting (good to see another hosting option), thank you to Hoggy for leading us and to all participants.

cheers

Duke

Last edited by Duke911; 08/29/14 01:51 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3987717 - 07/29/14 01:02 PM Re: PzBtl911(v) AAR "Hasty Defense 01-B (UK)" [Re: Duke911]  
Smithcorp Offline
Smithcorp  Offline

Oz
Busy mission Duke - nice one.

#3987755 - 07/29/14 02:08 PM Re: PzBtl911(v) AAR "Hasty Defense 01-B (UK)" [Re: Duke911]  
Gibsonm Offline
Gibsonm  Offline

Sydney, NSW
Good write up Duke.

Thanks to UK Armour for putting it together, it was a good activity.

Hope your Grandmother forgave you? duck

Mark (}-:
LTCOL RAAC
IAW the Defence Communication Manual 2016, Chapter 3, paragraphs 3.28 - 3.30 - The views expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of the Department of Defence.
#3987848 - 07/29/14 04:37 PM Re: PzBtl911(v) AAR "Hasty Defense 01-B (UK)" [Re: Duke911]  
PaladinSix Offline
PaladinSix  Offline

New York, USA
Excellent AAR. I was actually the 1 Troop commander but SB crashed just after I reached my initial forming up point. (I didn't realize it at the time, but SB crashes if you shift input focus to the Thrustmaster Warthog GUI and then return to SB. You can get around the problem by switching to a different window, e.g., Windows Explorer, first and then switching from that window back to SB.)

It must be tough to win this with the Scimitar as your recce screen. The Scimitar in SB, lacking a thermal imaging system, does not have particularly good target acquisition capabilities.

#3987904 - 07/29/14 05:47 PM Re: PzBtl911(v) AAR "Hasty Defense 01-B (UK)" [Re: Duke911]  
JC______ Offline
JC______  Offline

This is an excellent AAR. Thanks!

JC

Real and Simulated Wars
Stray thoughts on war and its representation by off-the-shelf computer games and simulations
#3988017 - 07/29/14 08:53 PM Re: PzBtl911(v) AAR "Hasty Defense 01-B (UK)" [Re: PaladinSix]  
Gibsonm Offline
Gibsonm  Offline

Sydney, NSW
Originally Posted By: PaladinSix
The Scimitar in SB, lacking a thermal imaging system, does not have particularly good target acquisition capabilities.

Well it does have II so its not completely "night blind".

I'd suggest the manual gun controls are more of a challenge. smile2

Mark (}-:
LTCOL RAAC
IAW the Defence Communication Manual 2016, Chapter 3, paragraphs 3.28 - 3.30 - The views expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of the Department of Defence.
#3988104 - 07/30/14 12:24 AM Re: PzBtl911(v) AAR "Hasty Defense 01-B (UK)" [Re: Duke911]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Fantastic write-up Duke!

#3988713 - 07/31/14 03:40 AM Re: PzBtl911(v) AAR "Hasty Defense 01-B (UK)" [Re: Duke911]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Forgot to add that the pics you take are dramatic as well. Really looked like one hell of a battle.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.