Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3986173 - 07/26/14 03:46 AM A Few Varied Questions  
Jetguy06 Offline
Jetguy06  Offline

Plaquemine, La, US
1. What does the Pinky Switch on the SSC do? I'm flying with the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, and I have the key mapped to the Pinky Switch on the stick, but I have no idea what it does.

2. Where in the control mapping list is the Speedbrake Control? I'd like to have it mapped to the Speedbrake Switch on my throttle, but I can't find it in the list to map it. It would sure take the pressure off my brakes on landing biggrin Also, where is are the flaps in the list? I'd also like to map those.

3. I have CMS Down (pushing the button into the stick) mapped to ECM on. When I press it, the green ECM light above my Master Arm Switch comes on, and another press extinguishes it, but what exactly does that do, other than the obvious turning the ECM on and off? I always thought the JMR switch, above the CMDS Panel was what gave the pod power.

4. Next to my CMS switch on the control panel is a mode switch with OFF, STBY, MAN, SEMI, and AUTO options. Does that play into the jammer pod, jamming whichever radar frequency is locking me up, as it does in the SEMI mode in DCS: A-10C? If not, what does it do/how does it work?

5. What's the keyboard mapping for the Chaff Slapswitch (the one on the left cockpit wall, right by the throttle)? It seems like it would be handy for pumping out chaff in a hurry, instead of reaching down (virtually, of course neaner) to turn the CMS Profile Switch.

I hope these questions aren't overwhelming. I'm trying to learn on the fly (HA!!) with Krause's tutorials, and with the campaign I'm flying (It's my first, and I'm using it as a "training" campaign before I start the "real" one, so what happens in this one really doesn't count :D). I would love to do some live training, but I don't want to get lessons without payment, and my funds have to go to higher priorities for the moment. Thanks again for all the help guys, and happy hunting!!

"A thousand flights mean a thousand landings. Somehow you always have to come down, one way or another. And then one day it will be for the last time."

Heinz Knoke
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3986207 - 07/26/14 07:06 AM Re: A Few Varied Questions [Re: Jetguy06]  
Kosmo. Offline
Kosmo.  Offline

Greece
1. Changes FOV/zoom levels when HSD/FCR/TGP/WPN is SOI.

2. IIRC it's Cockpit-Air brakes open/close or something similar. Flaps are automatic in normal operations in the F-16.

3. The JMR switch gives it power but doesn't activate it. CMS down is what you want to turn it on though as that is also used to give consent when ECM is in SEMI or AUTO.

4. SEMI will advise you to turn on your jammer when appropriate (VMS will say "JAMMER"), AUTO will turn it on/off for you after you have given consent with CMS down. Use CMS right to revoke consent/turn the jammer off.

5. CMDS-Slap switch. It doesn't have to be just chaff though, you can program it just like any other countermeasure program in the DTC (slap switch is program 5).

#3986393 - 07/26/14 06:53 PM Re: A Few Varied Questions [Re: Jetguy06]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

I'm going to assume this is BMS and not Falcon 4.0 or Falcon AF. They can be quite different.

1. Check out page 30-34 of the BMS-Manual.pdf.

2. Callbacks are AFBrakesIn, AFBrakesOut, and AFBrakesToggle. Default keyboard is V, (none), and Shift-B for BMS.key. Flaps are automatic tied to landing gear handle position.

3/4. There's no such thing as "ECM on." There is power to the system (left console) and the 4-way CMS hat. Physical countermeasure consent (CMS aft) also enables ALQ standby operation (ENBL light) which allows but does not force the ALQ to transmit energy. The BMS countermeasures system is very complex and different compared to F4.0/AF and even DCS A-10C. The CMDS JMR switch is what links the ALQ to the CMS for automatic prompting. With the link switch off jammer use is still possible but not automatically prompted from the countermeasures system.

5. Callback is SimSlapSwitch. I don't think it has a default bind in BMS.key. You should always have three CMS programs available at any given time. Program 6 on CMS left, 5 on slap, and 1-4 selectable on CMS forward/auto.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.