Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3860778 - 11/10/13 03:36 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
You CAN have ONE USB game controller device plugged in. I mean come on, how are you going to fly without one? wink

The debrief crash has been addressed here (not yet tested by me)...
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3858048/

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3922510 - 03/10/14 06:29 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
It WORKS!!!!

I need to get back up to speed with this game. I wonder if there is any chance of playing online with people anymore.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#3922894 - 03/10/14 09:24 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
I remember he first Longbow, but is this second onew orth the effort? Is still a good sim or is too old for today's standards?

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#3922939 - 03/10/14 11:14 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
It's dated, I won't lie to you. Resolution is no where near modern standards, no trees, in some respects fairly simple but oh my the memories. With a glide wrapper in the game it takes me back to 1987.

#3923769 - 03/12/14 05:10 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Wklink]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Originally Posted By: Wklink
It's dated, I won't lie to you. Resolution is no where near modern standards, no trees, in some respects fairly simple but oh my the memories. With a glide wrapper in the game it takes me back to 1987.

No trees? Man that kills a bit the chopper interest. Anyway If is easy to make it work on Win7 I will give it a try.

-To the Graveyard!!

#3924051 - 03/13/14 08:27 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Er, 1997.

Gotta remember, in 1997 there really weren't any games that had trees in their games.

I am hoping that Combat Helo is going to be the updated Longbow that I loved. I still enjoy playing it, even after all of these years. Sometimes things just get too complicated and it is nice going back to a time when everything seemed simpler.

#3924056 - 03/13/14 09:13 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Wklink]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Originally Posted By: Wklink
Sometimes things just get too complicated and it is nice going back to a time when everything seemed simpler.

Agree! Hope the Combat Helo guys suceed with his game. I will help them when they release the first part of the sim.

-To the Graveyard!!

#3924186 - 03/13/14 03:29 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
I have to say that the game works now perfectly, thanks to FlyBoy, is there something important I need to know?

Also, is there any way to acces "options" screen so I can tune my game/controls?

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited by Stratos; 03/13/14 03:33 PM.

-To the Graveyard!!

#3925656 - 03/16/14 07:35 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
You can access the options screen from one of the buildings on the base menu. Also, in-game you can hit ALT-O.

#3960823 - 05/31/14 07:47 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
Other than a lack of VRS & RBS stalls and maybe the helo needing to be tipped slightly too far forward when cruising, the flight model is pretty darn good representation for a Zulu or Blk4 Apache with side sticks. Got the whole attitude command/hold thing going on for those of us without pole cyclics. Still the most carefree and least twitchy of all the combat sim helo models I've tried. Even blackshark has issues with funky yaw authority.

Last edited by Reticuli; 05/31/14 08:25 PM.

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011/12/methanol-wins-open-wager.html

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick
#3965577 - 06/10/14 02:58 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
You've obviously never played the sim like I have, then!

Maybe due to CPU clocking issues on modern computers, but VRS and RBS have been present when I've played. Remember, I played the crap out of this sim for ages.

#3979860 - 07/11/14 10:54 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
Originally Posted By: Flyboy
You've obviously never played the sim like I have, then!

Maybe due to CPU clocking issues on modern computers, but VRS and RBS have been present when I've played. Remember, I played the crap out of this sim for ages.

There seems to be just low RPM stall and the ability to damage your rotor if you go too fast, but neither really behaves like VRS or RBS. VRS should begin at much less descent rate than this low RPM thing does when you lower the collective too fast with low lateral speed, and then your RPM should increase rapidly, not decrease. At least there is a penalty in both changing collective too fast and in overspeeding, even if the latter is very difficult to do in LB2. RBS should be vibration, pitching upward, and a roll moment prior to the main rotor potentially ripping off. Also, the solution for dealing with low RPM main rotor stall is to increase lateral speed, while the solution to VRS is also to increase lateral speed plus lowering the collective... usually in reverse order since the former often requires the latter. So it's not too far off. It's just that neither is very easy to do in the sim. The need to use lateral motion in an emergency to save a descent without substantial forward speed is a good habit LB2 at least forces you to develop. EECH, by the way, does not do low RPM stalls, though there is some RPM stuff now from Arney and my GlovePIE scripts can crudely add the attitude/rate command & attitude hold stuff, as well as make the collective more mushy. Using PPJOy and my GlovePIE scripts for Comanche Gold can not only add those crude flight law modes, but crude VRS behavior. I can't do anything with GlovePIE and LB2 to add pedals or anything else, though. Only the first joystick is recognized with not DirectX assignment thing possible.

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

#3979954 - 07/12/14 07:35 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

VRS is a ridiculous embarrassment in LB2, it's my single biggest gripe with the game ( when it's running lol ) find a video for me showing the main rotor coming to a stop in mid-air and perhaps my shame will be lifted. And yes, IRL once you understand what's happening it's easy to avoid and correct, whereas in LB2 nothing seems to work to save yourself.

#3985585 - 07/24/14 08:08 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Jave Offline
Jave  Offline

Mobile, Al
For some odd reason, I can never get any of the wrappers to work. They work, yea, but freeze the game every time. Take wrappers off, it looks terrible but is playable.

#3986096 - 07/25/14 10:43 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: kaboom]  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
See, I don't think that's an attempt to model VRS. I think that's low RPM stalling from trying to increase the collective too rapidly. The way you get out of it in the sim, though, is somewhat similar to how you deal with VRS. Or maybe they modeled low RPM stall and then tried to cheat VRS by just having low RPM stall also occur if you descend in a hover too fast.

#3998154 - 08/20/14 12:18 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Walt Watson Offline
Walt Watson  Offline

I just installed this on my new Windows7 x64 P151sm Clevo Laptop. I played around with the voodoo wrapper settings and I am running it at 1680 x 1050 just fine. I was having game freezes a lot. So I turned off my antivirus and I flew it for a solid hour in instant action with no freezes. Hope that holds up. I am still not sure if everything is working, but it was nice to fly it again. I suspect the radar scan size doesn't work. At least I couldn't get it to work. Something to look into and see if it was just me or is it just a symptom of an old sim on a new computer.

Thanks to the group and the Flyboy for bringing this sim out of mothballs.

#3998190 - 08/20/14 01:49 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Walt Watson Offline
Walt Watson  Offline

I even managed to find my old Longbow 2 Cockpit collection keyboard cover. Remember those? They were handy to have.

#3999252 - 08/22/14 10:27 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Hi Walt, good to hear you got the ol' sim running again.

I don't think you should have a problem adjusting your radar scan size as far as game mechanics on a modern system go. I think what has probably happened, as in my case, I have a laptop too and... 1) I don't have a separate numeric keypad so I can't access a lot of the radar functions and 2) some of my keys just don't work in LB2, making key re-assignment a must.

Try re-mapping some keys and see if that works.

#4001381 - 08/27/14 01:43 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Walt Watson Offline
Walt Watson  Offline

Thanks for the Tips Flyboy. I will try remapping the keys. I am using a laptop as well. I thought I would not have that problem since I plugged and external full keyboard and mouse into it. I wonder if there is a way to disconnect the laptops keyboard (like pulling the cable). Therefore the SIM would see only the full keyboard and may behave properly. I will have to look into that. There are probably lots of reasons against doing it even if it is possible but I will take a look.

I also found that the latest version of CPU Killer works well in slowing down my Clevo P151sm Core I7 laptop. I set the CPUKiller app to about 40% and it seems to do the trick.

-Walt Watson

#4051126 - 12/15/14 09:45 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download... again! [Re: Flyboy]  
Jave Offline
Jave  Offline

Mobile, Al
I finally (by accident actually) got the "black screen on exit of mission" problem fixed, only to have another one crop up out of nowhere.
Now for some odd reason, after working flawlessly, my sound is all bass, no treble, and only through one speaker. What the heck? Anyone have any suggestions?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.