Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3984128 - 07/21/14 09:30 PM Just had to euthenise my FSX install....  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
Well I thought I'd fire up FSX earlier this evening to check out OpenLC and it crashed on the splash screen.

I've just spent most of the evening trying to fix it... event viewer was no help... removed all entries in my dll.xml, removed UT2 from my exe.xml in case something had gone wrong there, deleted fsx.cfg and let it build a new one, checked and double checked something hadn't overwritten my FSUIPC with an older version.

Nope, it's dead. Something has been changed or corrupted and I'll be buggered if I can be bothered to wade through all 450GB (and 1TB of photoscenery) to find it. I suppose it was going to happen sooner or later, creaking under all that weight of addons almost a year after I last did a reinstall.

FSX is currently being uninstalled with all addons. Time to start over fresh. I might even give P3D2 another try.

On a brighter note, I tried out my (portable) XP install earlier on my laptop and found it runs beautifully with SSAA turned off and just using FXAA instead.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3984196 - 07/22/14 12:39 AM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: Pielstick]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Wow that sux Pielstick wonder if it was something recently installed?

Only had to redo my FSX install once when Simconnect stopped working and none of the various recovery methods seemed to work.

I found it was a good opportunity to reinstall and leave out all those dozens of add-on aircraft I never seem to fly very often and scenery add-on areas I never seem to visit, I found that FSX loads up and loads into flight much faster now.

I never did find the culprit that corrupted my FSX install, but I am much more conservative now on what I install or even update on my FSX install as it took a couple of days to reinstall everything.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3984212 - 07/22/14 01:33 AM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: Pielstick]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Ah..the fresh install. Even though it is a major hassle, there is something nice about running a clean install..

Good luck!

BeachAV8R

#3984215 - 07/22/14 01:40 AM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: Pielstick]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
I feel your pain, Pielstick. Been thinking about it myself... I get a CTD every other flight nowadays. But with the price of SSDs this low, I'm thinking of getting one for FSX only.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#3984278 - 07/22/14 04:45 AM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: Pielstick]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
This is probably a stupid question, but you tried running the FSX repair from your disc, right. Saved my butt once when I screwed something up, and I was very surprised that it didn't touch my add-ons.
Not that it matters, of course. You've already reinstalled.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3984350 - 07/22/14 12:20 PM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: Pielstick]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Always a real pain, but as Kludger alluded to above, it can be a "cleansing fire" of sorts.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3984377 - 07/22/14 12:57 PM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: Pielstick]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
Sorry man. I just did it myself not that long ago. Like Thai food. Cleansing yes.....but ouch.

#3984460 - 07/22/14 03:17 PM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: Pielstick]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I recently noted a couple of corrupted scenery textures. I dread the day I have to reinstall everything.

sigh

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3984461 - 07/22/14 03:18 PM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: Pooch]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
Originally Posted By: Pooch
This is probably a stupid question, but you tried running the FSX repair from your disc

My FSX had reached the point where there was hardly any default stuff left. If I ran the repair and it had started overwriting stuff with default files I'd still be having to wade through the massive installation to try and get everything back to how it was.

Never mind. It's done now.

My FSX had turned into a Frankenstein's Monster anyway.... it had so many addons installed it was going to buckle under its own weight sooner or later anyway.

From the ashes it shall rise again....

#3984575 - 07/22/14 07:41 PM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: Pielstick]  
DetCord Offline
DetCord  Offline

Fort Riley, Kansas
I bricked my FSX install some time back, so I had to do the exact same thing. Still, FSX with all it quirks and stabilization issues is starting to wear thin on me. I'd give P3D another try, but as a owner of version 1.4, I refuse to pay full retail for a second time especially due to the fact that once the 64bit version is released, you'll have to buy it all over again.

Plus as I understand it, the UI is still pretty much unchanged, and the UI in P3D is a terrible piece of design work. It's just awful.

Ex-pat Kiwi currently serving in the U.S. Army
#3984653 - 07/22/14 10:40 PM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: Pielstick]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
I thought I'd give FSX a break for a few months and try and give P3D2 another chance.

I've got some Orbx stuff installed so I'll see how I get on with it.

The 64bit upgrade when it comes will wipe out compatibility with just about everything, so we'll all be back at square one with buying addons anyway. Most of the FSX addon devs are too much about the money nowadays to offer a free 64bit upgrade to their existing customers.

#3984680 - 07/22/14 11:40 PM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: Pielstick]  
Mark Aisthorpe Offline
Crazy Courier
Mark Aisthorpe  Offline
Crazy Courier

London UK
Probably at bit late now seeing as you've already nuked it but if by crashing you meant it was just sitting on the splash screen forever there's a good chance it was just a corrupt logbook file.

Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\Logbook.BIN

If it happens again delete the Logbook.BIN and that should fix it.

Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
#3984770 - 07/23/14 04:17 AM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: Pielstick]  
DetCord Offline
DetCord  Offline

Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Pielstick
I thought I'd give FSX a break for a few months and try and give P3D2 another chance.

The 64bit upgrade when it comes will wipe out compatibility with just about everything, so we'll all be back at square one with buying addons anyway. Most of the FSX addon devs are too much about the money nowadays to offer a free 64bit upgrade to their existing customers.

Really? My understanding is that the config architecture for the addon side of the house is completely different, and therefore not going to be affected by a 64bit version.

Ex-pat Kiwi currently serving in the U.S. Army
#3984862 - 07/23/14 12:30 PM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: DetCord]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: DetCord
Originally Posted By: Pielstick

Really? My understanding is that the config architecture for the addon side of the house is completely different, and therefore not going to be affected by a 64bit version.

I'd not heard either way from LM if 64Bit would be the "add on Apocalypse," but I suspect the word you'll see brought out a lot will be "support." The question isn't if something is outright compatible, but weather the dev supports bugs/issues that arrise on a 64 bit install. I imagine some of the more static Add-ons, like scenery and texture packages (REX) wouldn't need any changing.

That said, if new versions are needed, weather or not a free update is pushed would hinge on how much work is needed. If it's 75 hours of work to update an existing product, it's fair for the devs to charge a fee for the upgrade.

In some cases though, I do feel a bit entitled for them to push a "free" upgrade, as devs like Milviz have stated the reason they charge a separate fee for the P3Dv2 version is that P3Dv2 is an evolving platform, and the extra cost ensures they keep their product compatible with future updates. This is juxtaposed to a "finished" platform like FSX, where once you've worked out the bugs you never have to go back and work on the product.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3985337 - 07/24/14 01:35 PM Re: Just had to euthenise my FSX install.... [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
I'd not heard either way from LM if 64Bit would be the "add on Apocalypse,"

Pretty much any addon that references a dll or module will need to be updated to work in 64bit. From what I understand there are multiple programming languages used throughout MSFS/P3D and it will be a pretty momentous task to get these all singing from the same 64bit hymn sheet.

The real biggie (and the one that surprised me) was when Wes Bard (P3D Development manager) said that the BGL scenery file format is not 64bit compatible so will need to be rewritten, and all the developers will have to go back and update their scenery to work in a 64bit version of P3D.

The day P3D2 x64 is released we are all back to square one again with addon compatibility. I also find it very unlikely developers will go back and update their product back catalogues, perhaps only for the more popular products, and even then I fear in many cases it won't be a free upgrade.

Contrast this with XP10 which made the jump to 64bit in 2012 and pretty much all the addon devs updated their stuff to 64bit for no additional cost.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.