Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3976927 - 07/05/14 05:43 AM FT Rucker Huey (DCS)  
Scoobe Offline
Scoobe  Offline

Back in 1989-90, I had the privilege of flying the UH-1 Huey in US Army flight school. At that time, they taught basic helicopter flight school, Low-level (Nap of the earth), and IFR, in the Huey. Then you would branch off into separate tracks like Blackhawk, Cobra, OH58 or stay in the Huey. The Apache was not a track you go go straight into at that point. Don't know how they do it now, but that was how it was at that time.

I finished training in the Huey and did well in it. Then went into the AH-1 Cobra and got towards the end of that track, when I washed out in the Night Vision Goggle phase. Those things kicked my butt. I just could not get adjusted to them.

Anyhow, it was a rewarding and challenging course and I was sorry I could not finish. I can't tell you how much personal growth I went through at that time. I often think back to that time whenever there is a stressful or challenging event to get through at work or whatever and draw on those mental skills developed during that time.

So when the DCS Huey came out, I was naturally all over it. I was happy to see they included a FT Rucker paint scheme, but it was not there sadly (just a textron skin). So komemiute was kind enough to paint one up for me based on some photos I sent him and it looks fantastic. Ugly, but just like they were. The Orange doors were the Army's Student driver insignia. Most of them were veteran vietnam era birds that had a lot of ware on them.

So here are some shots with it in DCS Worlds along with a few shots of the F-15c. I added lots of static planes to bring the airfield to life. The frame rate hit, was not bad at all.

Rob

P.S. thanks again komemiute

The real thing

Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3976929 - 07/05/14 06:30 AM Re: FT Rucker Huey (DCS) [Re: Scoobe]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

Wow, great shots! I really like the shot past the canopy of the F15E, very nice composition.

-C-

#3976934 - 07/05/14 07:06 AM Re: FT Rucker Huey (DCS) [Re: Scoobe]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

biggrin always glad to be part of your art! Magnificent work, as usual. thumbsup

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3977028 - 07/05/14 06:49 PM Re: FT Rucker Huey (DCS) [Re: Scoobe]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Great story.. It must have been a really cool experience to fly helos. Just curious - if you do well up until a certain point, can they put you back into flying UH-1s or something without NVGs?

Great shots too..!

BeachAV8R

#3977078 - 07/05/14 09:56 PM Re: FT Rucker Huey (DCS) [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Scoobe Offline
Scoobe  Offline

Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Great story.. It must have been a really cool experience to fly helos. Just curious - if you do well up until a certain point, can they put you back into flying UH-1s or something without NVGs?

Great shots too..!

BeachAV8R

No, NVG's are used in almost every aspect of Army aviation, so if you can’t make it through that course, you can’t fly as far as the Army goes. When I started the NVG course, I thought it was going to be a cake walk next to other courses like Instrument training which washed out most of candidates. When I got to NVG, which was second to last in the 2 year course, I had already received my orders to my next unit (which was in Iraq at the time) and it seemed like I was coasting downhill. Maybe I got a little cocky too, but after flying a few training missions with NYG's on in the AH-1, I realized this was going to be tough. I busted 2 check rides in a row for NVG and then I came to the conclusion that I was not cut out for this. They were willing to give me another shot if I wanted it, being that I came so far and had done well up to this point, but I didn't feel like it would have made a difference for me.

Those things are heavy and you have to keep your head on a swivel when going into an LZ that is just barely larger than the rotors. My neck was killing me after an hour with the NVG's on. I hope they make them a lot lighter now!
My eyes started giving me problems about then too and my night vision was not up to the task.

However, it worked out well. I went on to other things and other careers. However, it was a time I always look back at fondly. I also stayed in touch with a lot of the guys I trained with at the time and some of them are still flying. A few transferred to the coast guard and one just retired this month as a LT commander USCG.

Rob

Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
#3977162 - 07/06/14 09:10 AM Re: FT Rucker Huey (DCS) [Re: Scoobe]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Fantastic screenies and a great story, thanks Scoobe.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3977183 - 07/06/14 12:10 PM Re: FT Rucker Huey (DCS) [Re: Scoobe]  
Pielstick Offline
Pielstick  Offline

The Engine Room
Wow fantastic shots!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.