Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3975990 - 07/02/14 04:27 PM Navigation Question  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

For you hardcore flyers out there, which I aspire to be.

I understand navigation. Go northeast for 1 hr. at 100 mph. and you have traveled northeast and gone 100 miles. In the flight sim, say for a bombing or airfield attack mission, it is hard to see an airfield at that height much less hit it, and circling around enemy territory for long periods of time trying to find is bad for ones health. I know you do not have to be too many degrees off for a while and you are miles from your target.

Waypoints, How in the heck do you precisely hit a waypoint?

I am setting up a second monitor, open my (thanks Lou!) map with paint and using it to draw the route. When the mission is over, undo, and redraw new mission. I think that will suit me.

Any pointers are appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#3975992 - 07/02/14 04:40 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

MFair, you can see aerodromes, roads, rail lines, and rivers from 16,000' as this is the altitude I do all my recce flights at for WOFF mapping purposes. That being said, you will likely only be up at about 8'000' to 10,000' as this seems to be where the bulk of the WOFF missions operate at. Drawing in your mission route as you describe works great and you can continue to make adjustments and notes on your map as you fly said mission. Use the roads, rail lines, rivers, lakes, and woods as your navigation aids and you should do just fine MFair. And remember, it was not unusual for our RL counterparts to get lost at times during their missions, so you're in good company.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#3976005 - 07/02/14 04:55 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
For the waypoints it's simple. I just ignore them and make my own flight plan using specific landmarks on Lou's maps. This way I make short legs from one landmark to the other which limits risks of flying off course on a long leg.

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#3976010 - 07/02/14 05:08 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
Stuntie Offline
Stuntie  Offline

Bradford, UK
Fly IFR "I follow Roads".

Check the map for spottable features and make a note.
E.g. Fly NE 10 miles till the kidney shaped lake is just of to my left. Then turn left and fly to within sight of the crossing over the river - next to the bit that bends back on itself. etc.

A big problem with 'fly north at 100mph for 1 hr' is that if the wind is blowing towards you left front side for instance you will be blown back and to the right. You could end up miles away in the wrong spot after an hour, so you will need to compensate for things like that. Best to combine it with frequent landmarks to help you know if you are getting blown off course and how much to compensate for. i.e. if in the above you arrive to the right and slighly ahead of the kidney shaped lake 15 mins ahead of whern you expected to be there you can take the little bit off course information and adjust the flight accordingly e.g. fly a bit to the left of your planned direction, and slightly slower to compensate for being right and ahead of time.

A basic 'learn to fly' book will cover all the basics and show you how to use the modern navigation tools (not really modern but post WW1), but most of this period was flown by dead reckoning and experience to get a rough fix, and check the map when you get close.
Map and a stopwatch/clock is all you really need.

Cheers
Stuntie.
#3976043 - 07/02/14 06:32 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
IFR also works for "I follow Rail tracks" and "I follow Rivers" smile2

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#3976133 - 07/02/14 10:09 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
The British called navigating by railway lines 'Bradshawing' after the railway guides of the time.

Unusual clumps of woodland, road and railway junctions towns, rivers and so on.
Cross open areas by dead reckoning, but look what landmarks you can use to correct yourself.

#3976138 - 07/02/14 10:38 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Thanks for all the tips folks. At least I know I am doing everything pretty much correct. I was just not progressing as fast as I would like and figured there was something I was not getting., but then I am an impatient person. I will try a little less coffee and deep breathing and see if that helps. Thanks again for the advice!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#3976141 - 07/02/14 10:55 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
After a good long WW1 flight in lousy weather like I had earlier today in the Spad challenge, my evening FSX Air Hauler flight on the Alaska coast was very comfortable with VOR/DME, NDBs, GPS and ILS/lights for the runway ! And I can have ATC as a backup ! smile2

Last edited by corsaire31; 07/03/14 12:25 PM.

#3976145 - 07/02/14 11:13 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
Shiloh Offline
Sky Pilot
Shiloh  Offline
Sky Pilot

Massachusetts, USA
I just started navigating by Lou's maps MFair so I know exactly what you mean. I find it easier than I thought it would be to navigate. The tree clusters are good landmarks when there's nothing else. It's important to keep an eye on your compass and anticipate what's coming and spot these landmarks as they come up to adjust a bit.

I don't write on the maps as they exist as a file on my computer but I adjust the map so that all the locations I'm hitting are visible and as large as possible to fill my extra screen. Then I study it and figure out how I'm going to get to that point and determine what landmarks I'll be looking for ahead of time.
I ignore waypoints altogether as they just confuse things and of course I don't want to turn on my TAC.

#3976167 - 07/03/14 12:23 AM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Very impressive Corsaire! That would be a big change. Time warp. Shiloh, ignoring the way points makes a big difference. I thought I needed to make them for some in game thing for successful mission. Onward we go! Thanks again.

#3976176 - 07/03/14 01:26 AM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Regarding waypoints, like Corsaire and Shiloh said you have the choice to just ignore them and make your own way to the target. A minor problem is that WOFF will (I think) sometimes penalize you with an unsuccessful mission ... because you never arrived at the early waypoints then WOFF doesn't look for you arriving at the target.

If you see that this is happening (i.e. the debrief tells you that you never reached the target area, when you know you did) then there is a way around the problem. The solution is to use the 'advance waypoint' function, which is shift-w, to tell WOFF to skip the early waypoints and only look at the target waypoint. About a minute after takeoff, hit shift-w once to skip past the 'circling climb' waypoint, then hit shift-w again if there is another waypoint ( 'waypoint 1' or 'waypoint A' ) between you and the target that you want to skip. At that point, WOFF should have the target as your next waypoint, and if you arrive there then you should get credit for it.

To get the hang of it, try a few test flight with the TAC on and you will see how using shift-w skips through the waypoints.

Or just say 'screw it' and live with the odd unsuccessful mission. It's not a big deal. Also, don't lead the flight and your problem is solved.

P.S. The skip waypoint function is also great for telling your flight leader to 'get on with it' when following him through that boring 'circling climb' phase. Hit shift-w once the circling-climb begins and he will head off directly on the mission.

#3976183 - 07/03/14 01:51 AM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Thanks Scout, good info!

#3976379 - 07/03/14 04:04 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Just to let you all know, I flew my 1st mission with my big boy pants on. It was a pretty straight forward so no big leap. Made it to the patrol area, patrolled for 24 min. then headed back. Crossed the lines, lined up over my landmark and almost hit my home field perfect. Only about a 1/4 mile off.

Thanks again for all the hints and tips! Be joining your ranks soon. That was a good feeling.

#3980755 - 07/14/14 03:06 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Since my 1st post on this I have been flying map and compass, no labels bla bla bla. Two things I have found out is how easy it is to fly this way without getting lost. Especially after a few flights and you get to know your surroundings. The other thing with no labels is how fast you start to identify aircraft, because you have to! Once you go no labels your brain starts to pic up the small differences in aircraft. A note of advice to anyone wanting to fly this way is that time advance will get you killed. I think Corsaire pointed this out. I get my butt jumped enough in real time. With time advance you just don't see them coming.

Its been a little bit of a learning curve but well worth it to me and thanks to all the folks who helped me out!

#3980780 - 07/14/14 04:20 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Seems like the new 'big boy pants' are fitting pretty well then (grin). Nice going MFair and great encouragement for others to maybe try it too.

#3980785 - 07/14/14 04:28 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Two tips for flying without aids:

- fly higher than the orders say

- run away, when you are outnumbered by the specs you see - no matter what they are
(you can often find that out later)

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3980816 - 07/14/14 05:57 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
Just amazed at this sim so far.Honestly,I have no idea how WOFF instills feeling in me that I haven't got in the past 20yrs of simulations.At first the FM felt a bit rigid but as I play more and more I find I have lost that feeling.Same with graphics where at first it shows its age but then suddenly the game starts to really draw you in,dare I say it,like no other sim can?The whole package just draws you in to the WW1 world,its great!!Its a work of art is how I feel about it and I have only flown 5 missions and 3 where no contact with enemy at all. LOL I was actually glad that my pilot survived. clapping

Just one thing that I am nitpicking is the turning climb out part.When you first take off and before the turning climb starts the rest of your squad is slightly throttled back allowing you to easily stay in formation with them.That is a really great immersion boost for me. But then the climbout starts and the squad goes full throttle and what I believe to be perfect climb angle and I find I slowly drift away.I just cant keep up even with putting the engine management on auto mixture to rule that out.Any tips for me to allow me to stay in pretty good formation for the climbout?

#3980842 - 07/14/14 06:53 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: Wolfstriked]  
Slick Wilhelm Offline
Slick Wilhelm  Offline

Rochester, MN
Originally Posted By: Wolfstriked
Any tips for me to allow me to stay in pretty good formation for the climbout?

The only time I've run into this problem is when I was in a squadron flying a Nieuport 17, and my squaddies were flying Nieuport 23's.

Are you flying the exact same model plane as the rest of your flight?

I7-9700k@4.9 GHZ
16 GB RAM
GTX 2080 8 GB VRAM
2 x 1 TB SSD
32" Dell S3220DGF curved gaming monitor @ 2560 x 1440p @ 165 Hz
Sound BlasterX G6 External USB sound card
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones
Thrustmaster TM16000 FCS HOTAS
Logitec Pro Flight Pedals
TrackIR 5
#3980855 - 07/14/14 07:22 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
Whole squad is flying Nieuport 11's.Its not like I lose sight of them but I find that I have to be constantly on the edge of stalling and it can get annoying when they still start to break away.I hope its just the bebe's.

I just wanna add that I also purchased the skin pack and absolutely love it.Skins are not something I really care about yet these skins are like crack! jawdrop Superb work and IMO well worth the price as they really draw you in!

#3980885 - 07/14/14 08:02 PM Re: Navigation Question [Re: MFair]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
NM and thanks.I think it was just me as I just flew another mission and I am having no issues keeping up in the climb out.Funny that one of the guys in my squad seems like he is having issues now and fell way behind until we reached alt.

Anyway,using Ankor's mod with Aris's cloud mod and MadMatt's sweetfx settings and I feel like I am up in the skies!!! Amazed again.:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM