Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3963920 - 06/06/14 08:11 PM Re: Star Citizen - Arena Commander [Re: Sethos88]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Elite saw the players buying fuel since 1984.
In game currency of course...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3963927 - 06/06/14 08:16 PM Re: Star Citizen - Arena Commander [Re: Peally]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: Peally
I thought the exact same, but fortunately as I understand it it's a completely in-game type of thing (no real money involved). I guess it'd be similar to MechWarrior only instead of getting your ruined hulk of a mech horribly needing repairs, you just insure your ship against destruction. Elite has a similar concept, and it makes sense considering your ship could be stolen, blown up, lost forever, etc.

Think of it like X3, only there's no loading save games to backtrack. As I understand it everyone (at least backers) will always at least have a basic ship, or worst case scenario can play as additional crew or marines for other players.

But then again, I think buying fuel would be pretty neat too assuming it lasted for a looong time. Taxes be damned, I'll go to hell and die before I pay them in real life AND a game biggrin

OK…if that's the case…then apologies for my previous rant. I would still get the feeling that in-game currency could still be purchased with real cash and that would give folks with more income an advantage over those without.

Hope that's not the case…but the way the industry is now…it seems on par with what were seeing already.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3963940 - 06/06/14 08:31 PM Re: Star Citizen - Arena Commander [Re: Sethos88]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
As far as I know you actually can buy real currency in small bits per day as in-game currency as a means to "skip the grind" to a degree, but I'm completely in your boat. I hate being reminded to keep my wallet handy, and a game that even hints at me being able to pay my way ahead is generally an instant uninstall for me. I'm not a huge fan of MMO and F2P games biggrin

I'm cautiously optimistic. I was initially turned off of SC due to what I saw as a ridiculous amount of preorder items available, but if they can keep it strictly in the realm of an actual space sim and not an online store I'll be happy.

At least until SC starts flourishing we have Elite wink

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3963956 - 06/06/14 09:00 PM Re: Star Citizen - Arena Commander [Re: Prangster]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Well there are a few things you need to understand about the system before you write it off. (but yes it is kind of dumb you could lose a ship you spent real money on.)

1) Most of the ships sold sofar have LTI (life time insurance which means these ships will NEVER be lost.) but as the preorder stuff continues the number on non-lti ships will outnumber lti ships.

2) The non-LTI ships come with 2-12 months of insurance depending on when they were bought. That 2 months represents two months of IN GAME time. So those 60 days only count down during days you logged in and played.

3) You can buy in game insurance for cheap and will probably be warned / prompted about it before you take off if your insurance lapses. They have stated time and time again that the basic insurance (hull insurance) will be extremely affordable.

4) There will be certain sectors in the game that will be un insurable. This means that if you take your ship there and lose it they game wont replace it no matter what insurance you have on it. (though there is talk that LTI ships will be replaced after a certain penalty time limit)

If you lose your ship you have a few options. You can just buy another ship if you have the money. You can rent a ship if you have the money. You can take out a loan and buy/rent a ship. You can borrow a ship from a friend. You can hire on and fly as part of a crew for a larger ship until you can afford to rent/buy a ship. Finally you can do in system/planet missions to earn money. (helping people load cargo or some other minor things on planets.)

The idea is that they want there to be operational cost for your ships and buildings you own. If you cant afford to pay the upkeep / insurance then you shouldnt be owning those things anyways. They also want to instill fear of loss for certain game sectors to keep people from abusing the game's insurance.

The LTI is an exception to this and they have stated time and time again that they regret offering it as it breaks their planned game mechanic.

When you buy the game you are really buying the game and being given a starter ship for free. So you should not feel a huge loss if you lose that starter aurora. I would NEVER buy a non-LTI ship in addition to the starter aurora. If you have LTI ships then that is fine because you can never lose them but it is stupid in my opinion to buy a ship with real money that you could potentially lose.

#3963972 - 06/06/14 09:24 PM Re: Star Citizen - Arena Commander [Re: Force10]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Force10
100% agree Prangster. Getting really sick of the "milk em' dry" creo of developers these days. The more tolerant we are of garbage like this the more they escalate. You may laugh now…but imagine a future where you have to pay for every bullet in games like Arma…we are the frogs being slowly boiled. It's a shame cause it looks like a cool game…just a bad business model.

Except you are paying IN GAME money for in game items. The crowd funding "pay real money for ships" will end before the game launches. Once it ends you can only have the starter aurora when you buy the game and all other ships etc have to be bought with in game money.

Plenty of games make you pay for in game bullets and etc with in game money...

#3963975 - 06/06/14 09:28 PM Re: Star Citizen - Arena Commander [Re: Master]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: Master

Except you are paying IN GAME money for in game items. The crowd funding "pay real money for ships" will end before the game launches. Once it ends you can only have the starter aurora when you buy the game and all other ships etc have to be bought with in game money.

But let me guess…there will be an excruciatingly long grind to earn enough in game money to buy another ship…so there will be an option to "Buy a ship now" with real money. Right?

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3963990 - 06/06/14 09:44 PM Re: Star Citizen - Arena Commander [Re: Force10]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany

But let me guess…there will be an excruciatingly long grind to earn enough in game money to buy another ship…so there will be an option to "Buy a ship now" with real money. Right?

No. But I'm sure you'll find other reasons to not like the game.

rolleyes

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3963994 - 06/06/14 09:53 PM Re: Star Citizen - Arena Commander [Re: Force10]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Master

Um... no you wont be able to buy ships with real money. You can buy in game UEC with real money but it is extremely limited in the amount you can buy per month.

We wont know about the grinding for money until the full game launches but if there is a huge grind or they make things extremely expensive then buying UEC with real money wont help because the amount you can buy is already pretty limited...

Last edited by Master; 06/06/14 09:54 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.