Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3961409 - 06/02/14 08:10 AM Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods)  
wingman1387 Offline
wingman1387  Offline

And now for something completely different...

Recently, I happened to come across the Free Space source code project on the internet. I remember playing the demo version as a freebie bundled with a joystick quite a few years ago. I finally have some extra time on my hands again, and having picked up both Free Space 1 and 2 in a GoG.com sale, I figured I might as well give it a go as I've never actually played through either game even though I remember enjoying the demo. I'm using the FSport with the mediaVP package to play the original campaign in the modded Free Space 2 engine, and I have to say for an older game it still looks pretty. I thought maybe I would add a bit of a personal narrative to the story and see how it works as a vehicle for a set of AAR's.

1/5/2235

Colton,

It was good to get your letter bro. I haven't received much mail since graduation day at the Naval Academy. It's funny how everyone gets excited for you when you graduate, but then forgets about you until you ship out. I suppose after so many years of supporting the war, everyone has become slightly callous. Nevertheless, specialty training has been going pretty well. The Apollo fighter is truly a wonderful machine. I only got one down during my transition training, "Advanced Dogfighting Tactics." Apparently my checkout instructor was not excited about my "kill" score. I think that the computer in the drones wasn't registering the simulated hits correctly. Either way I blew the second hop away.

I know you think that you're all sierra hotel because you finally topped my best in the VR sims. Just wait, the real thing is very different. The flight department tries to simulate the physical symptoms of dogfighting in space, but after a few actual training sorties one on one with an instructor, you'll feel like you've been treading water in a suit of armor. I know you're like me and you can't wait for the chance to do some "real" flying. The academics can get you down (drinking from a fire hose would probably be easier) but next year when you make that first solo space flight, well, it's quite literally out of this world. And you'll probably be glad you got all that intellectual stuff. Slog it out for a few more months, you're a natural pilot, better than me at least, and I'm sure you'll do great. However, I still maintain that I'm smarter-and I think my grades continue to prove that one.

As a promotional effort to the war (at least that's what they're calling it, I think they've finally gotten sick of trying to censor everything for the past decade and a half) the powers that be are allowing us to record and send digital files from our personal imaging devices taken during our flights. I've included some images from my training.

In two days I leave for the Galatea. I'm itching to put all of this training to practice. The Vasudans won't know what hit them. I intend to nab the squadron ace slot post-haste. I have to set the bar high for both of my younger brothers, right?

I think that I'll also keep a journal. You know, like those ones that I'm sure they are introducing you to at the academy right now. You will be surprised how many of those flying and fighting techniques transfer from terrestrial flight to space flight. To be honest, I would often go back to the records room after class and re-read the accounts of the great pilots of the First and Second World Wars. Maybe someday, someone will read mine. "World War," seems like a funny phrase now that we as a planet have been at war with another solar system for almost 14 years...

Guess I'll should cut this short, I'll send you copies of my journal entries and whatever photos I can.
Oh yeah, apparently I've already earned a callsign. My weapon's transitions instructor made the sarcastic remark that I must be some kind of saint...after my incredulous reaction to the rumor of pilots using disruptor weaponry to disable Vasudan ships' weapons and engine and then destroying them slowly in sections. The instructor agreed with the practice, insisting that the only good Vasudan is a dead one, and that anything we can do to break their resolve is justifiable tactically. I know the Vasudans are our enemy, but where is the honor in destroying already disabled ships? Anyway, everyone has started calling me "Saint." It has a ring to it, don't you think?

Your brother,
"Saint"

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3961442 - 06/02/14 10:47 AM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
wingman1387 Offline
wingman1387  Offline

1/10/2235 Eve of Destruction

I can't believe how big the Galatea is. We had to study all the charts, weights, sizes, vulnerabilities, capabilities, and everything else. But the shear sense of size...they don't convey that little tidbit. The Captain gave a speech welcoming everyone to the ship, and informing us as the progress of the campaign. I don't know if it is just propaganda, but it seems that we are winning. I'm sure that the Vasudan generals are giving similar speeches though. They seem to hold some tactical advantage controlling the interspace nodes, but their supply is limited and thus we should be able to push them out in the end.

The question I haven't stopped hearing since I arrived is, "What happened at Ross 128?" Everyone seems to know something, and yet no one knows anything. Apparently the station was attacked, or destroyed, or when black, or something... nobody is responding to hails, and no scouts have returned. There are rumors of another race, one more powerful than us or the Vasudans. Some have taken to calling them "Phantoms." The Captain is not pleased with these rumors and quickly squashed them with the official word. Really all that is official is, they don't know, or they're not telling. Conspiracies are endless, and normally nothing but gossip, but for some reason everyone seems to have a bad feeling about this one. It wasn't long ago that we thought we were alone in the universe...and we were wrong that time.

And of course there is always more paperwork, more studying. It would appear that all pilots do around here is cram books. When do we get to fly? Squadron meeting in the morning. Hopefully I'll get pulled from the rookie pool early and given a shot at a real mission.

Well, it's a real mission...but not much of one. Apparently the GTC Orff had a little accident, nothing war related. Somebody screwed up the engine maintenance and now she's limping home on reserves. Alpha 1 and I are going to patrol while the Orff meanders home. Babysitting... Of course, we are told that the Vasudans are in the area, and could attack. The scuttlebutt from the old hands is that these mission are normally long and boring, the occasional scout will make an appearance, but rarely is there any fight. As the rookie, I've been assigned to veteran. I guess he's supposed to keep me out of trouble on this milk run. Although, I overheard him joking in the ready room to some of the others that usually the only action they have to take on a mission like this is convincing the newb to not shoot at the friendlies. I guess the first combat mission makes all the nuggets nervous and trigger happy. I am determined not to be that guy.

The mission did not go as planned. We jumped into Betelgeuse and found the Orff right away, then settled into the patrol. I even managed to not get too excited when I spotted the fighters we were relieving. I kept the weapons on safe, and never even thought about pulling the trigger. Settling in for the patrol, Alpha 1 gave me some pointers on the intricacies of the Apollo's autopilot, engine, and weapon systems. Apparently, there is quite an art to flying this thing.
Alpha 1 spotted the jump signatures first. I assumed that our relief, Delta wing, was just jumping in early. In fact, I didn't give it a second thought. Alpha 1 shook me from my daydreams by yelling at me.

"Kid, wake up!"

"Wha..."

"Those are Anubis fighters! Form on my wing, weapons hot, and keep them off of me!"

Apparently the Vasudans couldn't resist a tempting target like the crippled Orff. The next year of my life was a whirling mass of blue engine flames, green tracers, explosions... At least it felt like a year. No, it felt like a second. It was like time slowed, yet everything was moving so fast I couldn't keep up. Everything was fuzzy, and I couldn't focus. An Anubis flashed between me and Alpha 1, how I had stayed with him thus far is beyond me. I don't even remember flipping the autopilot off. I kicked hard rudder and rolled to follow. As the lead indicator floated through my gun sight I squeezed the trigger already imagine my bragging rights. How many rookies score a kill on their first mission? In my haste to not be "that guy" and shoot at a friendly, I became the newb who forgot the master arm. "Weapons safe" flashed on the HUD, and my chance at notoriety vanished.
By the time I had fumbled around and found switch, it was all over. Both fighters were down, both credited to Alpha 1. I cursed silently. My fangs were out now though, and to good effect, another group of fighters jumped in. This time I lit the afterburn and barged into the fight guns blazing...and became "that guy" once more. Every tactic, every strategy, everything I had learned went out the window. I missed, and then missed again, then almost got shot down. Would have been toast if not for Alpha 1. Somehow, every time I made a terrible maneuver he was right there to close the holes in my defense. I know I didn't hit a thing. Delta wing scored one kill and Alpha 1 got both of the others.

Our patrol time terminated we jumped back to the Galatea. Mission accomplished despite my lackluster performance. The Orff survived with nary a hit. Alpha 1 even congratulated me on a good hop. Gave me credit for 2 assists as well. I cornered him later in the mess and asked why.

"Because you hit at least 2 of them," he said with wink. "Or at least you would have, if you remembered to turn your guns on." He chuckled. "Really, you were thrown into the fire today, you saw the elephant and didn't freeze. That alone is worth the assist."

I have no idea what he meant by "Saw the elephant." But it must have been a compliment because everyone nodded and muttered acknowledgement. I wanted to ask, but I couldn't bring myself to look like an even bigger fool.
Not that it would have mattered because later when I crashed on my bunk and went to look at my camera footage, hoping to analyze my mistakes, I realized that I had never even installed the power cell. No pictures besides for what is in my head. Hopefully, time will lessen the memory of my flaws and improve my heroism as I 'starred down the elephant." Whatever that means.

Squadron briefing starts early tomorrow, apparently the brazenness of the attack on the Orff has someone worried.

If nothing else, looking back, I survived my first combat sortie. I guess I can at least be proud of that.

"Saint"

#3961474 - 06/02/14 12:10 PM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
wingman1387 Offline
wingman1387  Offline

The Field of Battle

As it turns out, the attack on the Orff was only a precursor. Speculation is that the Vasudans did not even mean to start that skirmish. They simply jumped in at the wrong time. Their main objective in the area lies among an asteroid belt. They have been using this as a base to launch attacks on our supply convoys. The asteroid debris wrecks havoc on our sensors, hiding them so they can launch attacks without warning.

The jig is up though, now that we know where their staging area is, we can hit back. Intelligence gathered indicates there are four wings stationed among the asteroids lead by a single ace. By no means a staggering force, mostly just a nuisance to an armored group such as ours. To an unarmed supply ship though, this small Vasudan detachment guarantees death.
The risk is low, and all of our squadron veterans have been mysteriously assigned to other missions. Somehow, my lowly sortie count is the leader of the stack, so I will be flying as lead to a bunch of other newbs. Jakal, Boomer, and Crash will be flying with me today. My job is to get them all back to the ship safe.

We will jump in on the far side of the asteroids, hopefully using the interference to our advantage as well. The anubis fighters are an older design and not of the same caliber as our Apollos so we shouldn't have too much trouble dealing with the fighters. Rumor has it that the Vasudan ace is flying a newer craft code-named "Seth." Specifics on the capabilities are sketchy so we are approach a scuffle with the ace only if the odds are in our favor.

I know that I wanted to see the action, and I wanted to make a good impression. I did not expect to be leading a wing already. I've really only flow one combat sortie! I'm nervous and excited. I will bring all of my wingmen home. Something is definitely up though. No veterans are available to lead this mission? I know it is supposed to be an easy run, but it still seems odd. I'll have time to ponder that later. For now I must focus on the task at hand.
Pre-fight preparations complete, and an extra camera power cell in my breast pocket we load up and launch into the black maw of empty space. The asteroid is a dark red blotch just at the edge of visible space.

Until we jump into the middle of it. Ghostly red returns dance on our sensor screens. The Vasudans are out there somewhere, but none of the returns are strong enough for a lock. I call the wing in tight to my wing and we accelerate into the field.

Asteroids whiz past. I feel like I am running the slalom course in the simulator again. Although hitting one of these will not just damage my high score. Crash, Alpha 4 calls a lockable signal on his sensors. I'm still no joy so I allow him to lead.

There! Among the space debris a three ship wing of Anubis fighters. We swoop in like the peregrine falcon. Exploding through their formation. I don't think they even knew what hit them. Payback for their similar attacks on our helpless cargo ships.

I feel like a conductor in a orchestra. I haven't even touched my trigger yet. I just sit back and talk my wingman through attack after attack. Already two wings of Vasudan fighters have fallen. My rookies may be fresh out of flight school but it is obvious that the GTA does not skimp on training.

Fighter after fighter falls to our storm of fire.

The asteroids prove to be our biggest problem. It is extremely hard to shoot and dodge the giant slabs of space rock. Jakal dodges enemy fire, but takes a piece of space junk to her port engine.

The last Anubis on screen falls to Boomer, and I order the jump back to Galatea. Jakal and Crash have taken damage, but both report hull integrity nominal for subspace jumps. Nevertheless, I hang back to make sure everyone gets out.
Just as reach down to engage the sub-space drive, our support/supply ship radios.

"Uh, sir, I'm getting a lone return." I flip the guard back down over the switch. The ace. I push the throttle to max and speed toward the suspected contact.

I see him first. This time I remember my tactics and slide right to give space for the merge.

It works. As his nose passes along the canopy I cut the engine and stop hard left pedal, almost smashing my head against the canopy glass. In retrospect, this is why they always admonished us to roll and pull. The human body is much better at combating inertia when the load factor is applied down the spine, rather than from the side. I recover though and manage a snap missile shot. I realize in the same instant that the Vasudan ace may have had the same thought and smash the countermeasure button several times. I prove the luckier, as my missile explodes within range damaging his fighter badly, while his missile only manages to scratch my paint.

Even in his damaged state he is unwilling to go out without a fight. We roll and scissor as he tries first to make me overshoot, and then attempts to accelerate away. I push the engines to max to get back within lethal missile range.

He pumps the brakes and spins. I careen past, but not before snapping of a few laser rounds. His already damaged engines take a further pounding and clouds of fuel puff out like clouds only to be swallowed by the cold of space.

I overshoot, but this time keep my speed, roll and pull with everything I've got. I feel the inertia press me down until the flight computer senses I am at my physical limit. I've managed to stay in range. I float into the straps as I slam the stick back to center and double tap the missile release button.

Both track beautifully.

The area is clear. I take one last look around, stretch my shoulders and then flip the switch to engage the sub-space drive.

Leadership is ecstatic. Apparently I was not the only one skeptical of an all nugget team. Nevertheless, we proved once and for all that GTA pilots earn their keep. I receive extra commendation for downing a known Vasudan ace. Interestingly, it counts as my first official kill. So even though I missed my chance for fame on my first mission, having my first kill as an ace does grant me a large amount of respectability with the crew. Even Alpha 1, who I now know goes by the moniker "priest," (I'm not sure how he got that name, rumor has it he did his first tour as a chaplain, but rumors rarely speak truth) sidled up to me in the rec room later and said, "Looks like you made the elephant flinch this time."

I really need to find out what that means.
"Saint"

#3961928 - 06/03/14 10:47 AM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
tirta Offline
tirta  Offline

Wow, the screenshots are very nice.
It looks like a new game. biggrin

I am not aware of this project.
So what mods should I install to get to this level of detail?
I should look for those freespace CDs in my old game stash.

Do I need both freespace 1 and 2 ?

#3961991 - 06/03/14 12:35 PM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: tirta]  
wingman1387 Offline
wingman1387  Offline

All you need is Free Space 2 smile As far as getting and installing the Free space 2 source code project/Free Space Open (and other mods) there are instructions at:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=243.0

There is even an installer that uses java to download and install everything automatically making the process super easy. You can find it here:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87537.0

That should be all you need to make the game much prettier. I'm also forcing some antialiasing and anisotropic filtering through Nvidia Inspector, though I can't really tell if that makes much difference.

#3962142 - 06/03/14 05:22 PM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Nice narrative!
C_G

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#3962269 - 06/03/14 08:52 PM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
CrazyEnzo03 Offline
CrazyEnzo03  Offline

Aha! The SCP. They have all sorts of mods ranging from this prettyfication of FS1 and FS2 to Battlestar Galactica to parody/stupid/silly to Wing Commander and even an anime-like mod. Everything's a lot of fun and it's incredible to see that not only is this engine still fighting our space battles, but they manage to make it look like a game that came out, say, last year, if you keep up with the latest content updates.

#3962492 - 06/04/14 09:36 AM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
tirta Offline
tirta  Offline

thank wingman1387 for the reply.

for the 1st campaign, do you install "Silent Threat" or "Silent Threat Reborn" ?

what is the difference?
which one is better?

#3962495 - 06/04/14 09:39 AM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Liked it, maybe I should give Freespace seres a new run. There's something similar to Freespace 1?

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#3963063 - 06/05/14 09:29 AM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: tirta]  
wingman1387 Offline
wingman1387  Offline

Originally Posted By: tirta
for the 1st campaign, do you install "Silent Threat" or "Silent Threat Reborn" ?

what is the difference?
which one is better?

What I have played through so far is just the original Free Space campaign, "The Great War," re-mastered to work with the source code project and known as "FSport."
"Silent Threat" was the expansion to the orignal Free Space game. The way I understand it, "Silent Threat Reborn" is a slightly artistic re-mastered/improved verstion of the "Silent Threat" expansion. Honestly, I haven't even looked at the "Silent Threat" campaign yet. One step at a time right?

Wingman

#3963065 - 06/05/14 09:40 AM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: Stratos]  
wingman1387 Offline
wingman1387  Offline

Originally Posted By: Stratos
Liked it, maybe I should give Freespace seres a new run. There's something similar to Freespace 1?

If you are looking for games similiar to Free Space, I can personally recommend the Wing Commander series. The orignal couple games are quite old now, and look very dated graphically. However, if you can tolerate the low graphic state, the story is quite good, and the gameplay is about the same quality as Free Space. You can find them at gog.com
Many people also recommend the Lucas Arts games X-wing or Tie-fighter. I have not played either though, so I am unable to give a good synopsis.

If you are just looking for a new campaign to play in Free Space 2, or a total coversion mod to make Free Space like the Battle Star Galactica or Babylon 5 universes, there are tons of projects happening over at the hard-light forums. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80688.0

Wingman

#3963081 - 06/05/14 11:26 AM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
tirta Offline
tirta  Offline

is "The Great War" included in FreeSpace Port 3.4 Mission Pack (1.4 mb) ?

there are also:

Awakenings (1.1 mb) FSMods - The classic FS1 campaign ported to FS2. Now compatible with version 3.0.
Awakenings Voice Files (18.5 mb) FSMods - Voice files for the ported Awakenings campaign.
Cardinal Spear (25.6 mb) FSMods - The classic FS1 campaign ported to FS2.
Cardinal Spear Voice Files (17.1 mb) FSMods - Voice files for the ported Cardinal Spear campaign.
Destiny of Peace (195 kb) FSMods - The classic FS1 campaign ported to FS2.
Destiny of Peace Voice Files (31.3 mb) FSMods - Voice files for the ported Destiny of Peace campaign.

are these campaigns also in "The Great War"?
please advise.

#3963154 - 06/05/14 01:54 PM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Very nice!

I never played FS1 but loved FS2!

yep

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3963319 - 06/05/14 07:45 PM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: tirta]  
wingman1387 Offline
wingman1387  Offline

Originally Posted By: tirta
is "The Great War" included in FreeSpace Port 3.4 Mission Pack (1.4 mb) ?

Yes, the original campaign "The Great War" is included in the FreeSpace Port 3.4 Misison Pack.

The other campaign downloads are separate campaign downloads for campaigns that are not part of the orignal "The Great War" campaign.

Hope that helps clear things up,
Wingman

#3963546 - 06/06/14 06:07 AM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
tirta Offline
tirta  Offline

thanks Wingman. biggrin
I have installed fsport and mediavp.
however, in the launcher, I can only activate only one of them,
but not both.

if I activate fsport, I can play the great war but the graphics is not as good as yours.

how do you do it?

#3964020 - 06/06/14 10:39 PM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: tirta]  
wingman1387 Offline
wingman1387  Offline

You are welcome. In my launcher I have an option for "FSport MediaVPs 3.6.12" I am running that version to get the updated graphics. Also make sure in the features section of the launcher, you enable the new graphics options.

#3964058 - 06/07/14 01:03 AM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
FS2 just came out on steam too. Currently $5.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/273620/

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3964108 - 06/07/14 05:21 AM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
tirta Offline
tirta  Offline

yes, it turns out that I have to download "fsport-mediavp" version.
now everything is good.
thanks for all the help. biggrin

#3964120 - 06/07/14 07:08 AM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: tirta]  
wingman1387 Offline
wingman1387  Offline

You're welcome. cheers

#3965142 - 06/09/14 07:04 PM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
Brit Offline
fed up of THIS
Brit  Offline
fed up of THIS

Mind your own
Thanks for providing this info and the AAR (especially those nice pics). I used to play the demo from a cover CD and quite liked it, but I never was a big SciFi fan on the PC.

I decided to buy it from GOG, though, and also downloaded all those updates. I used the torrent and that gives me all the individual files, when I'd been hoping for an installer. Hope I don't mess it up!

Okay - I have it all sussed so far and working nicely thumbsup

Thanks again smile

Last edited by Brit; 06/09/14 07:44 PM. Reason: It works!

Jesus, this place has really gone downhill
#3968204 - 06/15/14 04:00 PM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
Brit Offline
fed up of THIS
Brit  Offline
fed up of THIS

Mind your own
Wow! It's running and looking superb! The TM Warthog is a great controller for it, too.

Only downer so far is that my TrackIR is not working, though Freespace 2 is on the list of supported titles.

PS - Got it now thumbsup

Last edited by Brit; 06/15/14 06:07 PM.

Jesus, this place has really gone downhill
#3992355 - 08/07/14 11:03 PM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
wingman1387 Offline
wingman1387  Offline

Small Deadly Space

I'm starting to get used the routine on the Galetea. It's becoming less new and exciting,more normal. We've been here for a little over a month now with no action. Perhaps the Vasudans have moved on. It's just as well though, we've been running training simulations all month. It's like practice combat. The bonus is, that barring an accident, those "killed" in the simulation still make it back to the ready room with the rest of us. I've really only been here a short time, and no one from the squad has been lost. The more I hear from the old hands though, the more I know it's only a matter of time before someone I know doesn't come back. I hope combat stays far away.

Last night, we were told to report to the ready room earlier than normal. The ship also seems to be gearing up for a jump somewhere. It looks like we're headed back into the fight. My abilities have grown considerably. I've been promoted to 4 ship flight lead. I'm excited but nervous. I'll have to get some sleep eventually, but my mind won't seem shut off. I'm starting to miss home, Earth, trees, grass, the smell of air that hasn't been recycled through the scrubbers a million times...

This is it, we jumped into the Antares system early this morning. Terran intelligence has detected some unusually high activity at a known Vasudan cargo depot. The suspect that there is something special being shipped, and they want us to capture it. Our mission is to wrest control from the Vasudans and protect the crates until one of our freighters can jump in a collect the cargo. I'll be leading a wing of 3, Epsilon. Flying with me will be "Slick" and "Dozer." Both are pretty good sticks. We've been told to expect multiple wings of Vasudan fighters protecting several freighters. If possible, command would like us to capture the freighters as well. As such, our Apollo ships have been outfitted with one ML-16 laser cannon, and one disrupter. Looking at the suspected opposition, there is a part of me that wants to say screw the freighters, just give me the extra laser cannon instead. I voiced my opinion to the load master, but he told me that even if I could push that through, there weren't enough laser cannons to spare for everyone. I insisted however, and he caved easily. I was happy to find during the pre-flight that my 3 ship had all be fitted with extra laser cannons instead of disruptors.

Checks complete we launched from the Galatea, formed up and jumped.

As space resolved around me once again, I immediately spotted the depot, and several large ships. Probably freighters, which meant the fighters would be nearby. I told Slick and Dozer to form up, and we put our collective scanners to work. There, Anubis fighters, at least 2 wings of them.

Alpha wing peeled off, after the freighters and gave left us to deal with the fighters. Just as well, as they still had the disruptors and we had traded ours for laser cannons. Slick and Dozer spread into combat spacing. On my count we all plugged in our burners and accelerated toward confrontation. Approaching a two ship I locked up the leader, commanding my wingmen into a high cover. Rushing through the head on pass, I pirouetted, slamming full left stick and rudder in skidding left hand sideways loop. All the dogfighting practice had paid off. The fighter landed directly in my sights and I let loose with my cannons. Puffs of fire indicated I was landing hits. I saw the tail break off, and disengaged. He was a goner at this point.

"We need some help" Alpha radioed. I glanced at the sensor, and replied "One the way, ETA 1 minute"

"Uh, Epsilon, buster, we got jumped and the freighters are making a run for it."
"Wilco, buster"

I locked the first freighter I could find and smashed the throttle through the gate into full burner.

"Eps 2, pincher right, Eps 3 left"

"2"

"3"

We blasted through the tangle of ships caught in a ferocious turning dogfight and blazed away at the first Vasudan freighter. We were landing good hits when Alpha 2 started screaming, "He's all over me, get him off." And then in a much calmer almost distracted voice that was horrifyingly more creepy, "Taking hits, hull damage, showing 35%."

"Ep wing, target Alpha's attackers, no mercy"
"2"
"3"

The freighters would have to wait, one of our own need us.

Laser flew everywhere, even my ship was taking beating. I prayed that my hull would stay together. The computer continually updated me on my hull integrity percentage. I had a vague notion of watching a countdown timer. I could only hope that I made it to my target before it reached zero.

I started firing from extreme range, launching a missile as soon as it locked. Fuel poured from a ruptured tank, spewing flame like a welding torch as I closed for the kill.

The immediate threat dispatched, I called for a damage report.

"Alpha in the clear, Epsilon 2 heavy damage"
"Epsilon lead, same."

"This is the Orff, we have just arrived on station, status?"
"Sensors clear, cargo damaged but intact. We were unable to capture a freighter. Alpha and Epsilon wings both damaged, no casualties."
"Roger, relief is minutes out."

The Orff began collecting cargo as we stared nervously at our sensors. None of us thought we could survive another fight. A few minutes later our fears were put to rest.

"Delta wing is on station, Alpha and Epsilon, RTB"

Terran command was disappointed that the freighters escaped. However, the commended us on keeping all of the cargo intact. I was credited with two more kills. Slick got one, and Dozer racked up three. More importantly all of us made it back in one piece. As I unhooked and dismounted I gave the glare shield a little pat and silently thanked that ship for getting home after all of the punishment I had inflicted upon it. Rumor has it that command is sending us some new ships soon, but there will always be a place in my heart for that stubby little fighter.

Last edited by wingman1387; 08/07/14 11:08 PM. Reason: grammar
#4087303 - 03/04/15 01:37 AM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
wingman1387 Offline
wingman1387  Offline

Avenging Angels
1/15/2235

I know it has been quite some time now since my last update to you. I'm sure news about the war has reached Earth by now. There is no way that they could keep the latest developments a secret, even if they wanted to. For reasons I'm sure you will quickly understand my time has been devoted to many other things and I have been unable to get all of my mission narratives together to send to you. Here is what has been happening.

At the general briefing today, we were informed that Lt. Alex McCarthy is attempting to defect to the Vasudans. Alone this is an act of treason, but the worst part is that he stole blueprints and research data for the prototype "Avenger" cannon. Sources indicate he is trying to rendezvous with the Vasudans in the Antares system. Guess which ship is currently stationed there.

We've been ordered to put together an attack. We are to disable McCarthy's ship, the Omega, so the GTT Comet can retrieve the sensitive prototype before he can transfer them to his Vasudan contact, code named "Rasputin." I don't know why we don't just destroy them. Apparently our top scientists don't believe in back-ups.

We've been warned to expect multiple wings of Vasudan fighters and interceptors. I will lead Alpha wing with Crash and Aztec. Priest will be backing us up leading Beta wing.

Jumping into the rendezvous point the first thing I noticed was an amazing amount of Terran fighters already present. I thought, "Surely this must be a mistake." It was only supposed to be the wings from the Galatea springing the trap. All ambiguity was laid to rest when they opened fire though. The traitors were actually fighting for the Vasudans, trying to keep us away from the Omega!

I immediately ordered Alpha to do what they could to keep the fighters off my back, but stay in close formation. The traitors were to be considered enemies, but identifying friend from foe would be very difficult if we didn't stick together. I pushed my engines to full burner and accelerated through the throng of swirling fighters searching for the Omega.

There he is! Disruptors armed, engines targeted, I fire. A few well placed blasts and he is dead in space. I only have a moment to congratulate myself as both Alpha and Beta wings are locked in dogfights on all sides.

I enter the fight only to check fire again and again as I cannot tell who is who. Finally, in a act of desperation, I yell over the open comm for all Galatea fighters to change transponder codes to our squadrons lucky number. I grin ruefully as I tap the new info into the targeting computer. Suddenly, most of the green ships turn red, the traitor's true colors now shown by my quick thinking.

The immediate threat occupied as Alpha and Beta swarm around in circles like angry bees, completely preoccupying the traitors and the Vasudans, the GTT Comet jumps in to collect her prize. The call soon goes out, they want "Rasputin" as well, preferably alive.

"Aye, Aye"

"Alpha, on me. Beta keep them busy"
I was going to disable "Rasputin" but I wanted to scare him first. Leaving my laser armed Alpha and I make several passes, destroying all his offensive systems. Goodbye turrets, goodbye scanners. Finally switching to disruptors we swoop in and disable his propulsion. Without power he drifts spinning slowly spewing exhaust gasses and burning fuel.

Crash has sustained heavy damage in the turmoil, so I radio in for back-up and request to jump for home.
"Permission granted. Saint, upon return, report to the bridge."

Crap, I let my anger get the better of me. I should have just disabled "Rasputin" instead of taking so many potshots first. I'm probably going to get chewed out big time. I just hope that they allow me to stay in the squadron.

Marching onto the bridge, I salute smartly and click my heels together,resolved to take it like a man no matter what. The Captain slowly stands up, and calls everyone to attention. Reaching down he picks up a small box and walks over. Opening it I see inside a medal. Confused I wait for him to say something.

"Your quick thinking, changing the transponder channels, most assuredly saved many pilots today. Furthermore, it allowed the GTT Comet to take both the Omega and 'Rasputin' alive. For your work admirable work I present you with this medal of commendation."

Dumbfounded I accept the medal and shake his hand. I salute and turn to leave not really sure if I am going to start laughing or crying from relief. I appears that the captain senses my discomfort and snaps a quick salute before wrapping and arm around my shoulders spinning me around and walking me toward the door.

He turned to me with a twinkle in his eye, "Strategically, I am glad that you stopped short of destroying 'Rasputin.' Between you and me, I'm not sure I would have had the resolve to stay my lasers either."

"See that you continue to keep your temper in check, ok?"

I open my mouth to speak, but smirking he holds up his hand. "Dismissed."

#4087522 - 03/04/15 02:59 PM Re: Freespace: The Great War (SCP Mods) [Re: wingman1387]  
wingman1387 Offline
wingman1387  Offline

Advanced Training.

Due to my recent achievements, I have been selected to fly continuously as a flight lead. As such I had to undergo a series of advanced training scenarios. Most of them consisted of learning to use my wingmen as tactically as possible to complete objectives and keep them safe. I'll spare you the boring details, but I did capture some good pictures of our fighters in action.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.