Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 25 26
#3956221 - 05/20/14 11:48 PM WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL!  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I finished everything a little early, so , What the heck?

Greetings, highlanders and welcome to challenge #3. They say good things come in 3’s so, by definition, this is going to be AWESOME!!! Our last 2 challenges:

WOFF Challenge #1

WOFF Challenge #2

drew fliers from at least 5 different countries to participate in the same goal: defeating our enemies while dying gloriously! (last part was mostly unintentional…) Now we are at it again: It seems that master Ball is off to England to practice in some new type of plane (don’t remember what, exactly, just a bunch of numbers and letters, I’m sure nothing will come of it…) but the good news is, he left the keys to his favorite ride:

So we are going to pick up with him and join his old squad, #60, which will pit us against the flying circus led by some flieger named Richthofen.

In order to participate in this challenge you must:
1. Declare your interest and intent in this thread on or before Saturday, May 24 2014.
2. Create a pilot using the manual squad creation option flying for the British in #60 squadron with a start date of April 1, 1917 with the rank of 2nd Leiutenant.
3. Commit to flying 4-6 missions per week with this pilot, but no more than one per campaign day.
4. Report at least every weekend in this topic thread with his current successes or failures.
5. Faithfully communicate to your brethren the falling of your avatar when such event actually transpires.

It’s Bloody April out there, so remember, this is a challenge first, competition second! Your main goal is to survive while acquitting yourself faithfully to King George! To that end, fight when you can, run when you can’t. Let’s have more than 1 pilot alive at the end of this thing!

Reporting can be by any of the following methods:
-Text is good
-Pictures are better
-Videos are what this sim is made for!

Robert did a complete log for each mission last time, which was awesome, although not necessary to participate…Rover 27 also had a very neat “comic book” style of reporting that I really liked!

This is single elimination, so one death and you are out. Keep in mind that even if you are not playing "dead is dead" in the workshop, at the end of each mission it will still tell you that "Sadly, your pilot has died" if his injuries were fatal so you don't need to switch your settings for this. If you land behind enemy lines with less than DID workshop settings, use these guidelines: in or on the edge of No Mans Lines, you escape. Within 5 miles of the front, 50-50 (flip a coin). More than 10 miles behind the lines, you are captured, war over!

When you set up your pilot, click on "Manual Squad Deployment" in the lower right hand corner of the enlistment page. Set up the following screen so it looks like this:

Scoring:

Missions: +1 point each
Time survived: +2 points each week
Confirmed kill: +3 points each
Becoming an ace: +5 points (only once)
Promotion: +5 points each promotion
Medals: +3 points each

Some pointers on the Neiuport:
•Fly a few QC missions before we start. Loop and twist around and try to find out just where the break point is on those wings.
•If you hear some fabric ripping during a fight, finish off or disengage from your opponent as soon as you can and try to gently get down to the ground
•You have less than 300 rounds and only one gun, so make those shots count!
•Try not to go off by yourself. You can out maneuver just about anything at this point, but outrunning them is a different story, safety in numbers is very real!

This challenge will have a have a hard end date of Sunday, June 15. That gives us three weeks and a day. You can have a maximum of 19 missions total. Then we can tally the points and declare a winner. You are certainly free to continue to fly your pilot after that if still alive, but for point determination, we need a cut-off date. Robert Wiggins has offered up a brand-new copy of "No Parachute" by Arthur Lee as a prize! Additionally, RAF Louvert has offered a custom paint job for the plane of the winners choice. Look at post #2 in this thread for an example of his work! Thanks guys for these great prizes!

Permissions:
You may use whatever aids you are used to using. The official setting for rear guns will be “Less Acc”. Please set your weather to “Historical Weather” (my bad last time…) Flight model should be realistic and you should have weapons jams and limited ammo and all that jazz... The point is to have fun and we had outstanding support and sportsmanship from all fliers last time and we would love to see some new faces!

As far as time advancement, please follow these guidelines:

Allow time to advance as normal except fly no more than one mission per campaign day (time advance manually as necessary)

For every month of campaign time, you can advance two days on the calendar. (48hr pass to visit mum)
For every promotion, advance five campaign days.
For every five kills, advance 3 campaign days.
For becoming an ace, advance 3 campaign days (cumulative with 5 kills above)

Well, that's it. I had a great time in the last challenge and even though I died on my 10th mission, I really enjoyed reading about the exploits and hardships of everyone else, especially since I felt like I lived through the same missions, and I improved on my score from the first challenge.
RR

Official challenge start time is Saturday, grab some QC time in those N17’s and we’ll be (W)OFF!

I will update this area with pilots and scores as the challenge progresses, so you can always check here for the latest info…

List of Pilots:
Rick Rawlings - 48
Robert Wiggins - 65
gaw1 - 84
Shiloh - 70
corsaire31
MFair - 43
RAF Louvert -85
Leaf85
Adger - 52
Rover 27
Beanie
77 Scout - 13
Glubber
loftyc
CatKnight - 2
gecko - 56
Slick Wilhelm
Kaische - 6
Leadtail
Happyflier
Minalmist
pkpowers
lederhosen

Strikethrough indicates a pilot's demise, d.n.p. = did not participate, number to the right of the pilot is the final score
Last edited 6/20/14 04:20 PM US Pacific time

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 06/16/14 11:23 PM.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#3956231 - 05/21/14 12:14 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Rick;

I just loved the voice over in your vid. I could hardly see for laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes! rofl
Great presentation ... as usual!

I'm in! dance and I have a new bird to fly thanks to RAF_Louvert:

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#3956232 - 05/21/14 12:14 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

count me in pls......sounds great!

#3956235 - 05/21/14 12:20 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Shiloh Offline
Sky Pilot
Shiloh  Offline
Sky Pilot

Massachusetts, USA
Awesome...I'm in!

#3956236 - 05/21/14 12:24 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
Im not a great fan of the Noops, but it was a blast last time, so I'm in ! yep

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#3956240 - 05/21/14 12:30 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Rick;

I just loved the voice over in your vid. I could hardly see for laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes! rofl

Holy Cow! That was a fast turn-around, what a beautiful bird!

RR

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#3956241 - 05/21/14 12:31 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: corsaire31]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted By: corsaire31

Man, don't tell your country that! biggrin

#3956270 - 05/21/14 01:33 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Rick, I am chomping at the bit. I just hope I do not think of your intro video in flight or I will fly straight into the ground, but I will be laughing so hard it will not hurt a bit. Count me in!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#3956273 - 05/21/14 01:37 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Rick;

Robert, that has to be the most beautiful Nieuport I have ever laid eyes upon. Fantastic! My hat is off to Lou on the skin. I sure would hate to see it full of holes or coming down like a tourch.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#3956274 - 05/21/14 01:41 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Well you know I'm in. And a most generous prize from Robert, well done Sir. To sweeten the pot I'll make the same offer as last go-round: a custom paint job for the winner's kite of choosing.

Good Luck Everyone!

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#3956276 - 05/21/14 01:46 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Leaf85 Offline
Leaf85  Offline

Calgary, AB. Canada
Awsomeness. Count me in too, please! I'm going to keep the repair crew busy...I'm a notorious ripper of wing fabric...whoops where did my left wing go?

Kind regards,
Dave

Currently dabbling in;
WOTR/BoF, Naval Action! also Run 8,
IL2BOS/BOM smile

"Once again we have failed to die."-- old naval toast
#3956278 - 05/21/14 01:48 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Count me in please Lou..im really looking forward to this and thank you to Robert also for donating a wonderful prize thumbsup

love Roberts skin aswell fantastic job Lou

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#3956279 - 05/21/14 01:50 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord
Thanks Gents for the kudos on the paint I did for Robert. However, I should point out that I had a beautiful skin to start with thanks to the fantastic work done by the WOFF artists Sandbagger and OvS. All I did was hang on a few doodads and gewgaws.

Last edited by RAF_Louvert; 05/21/14 01:51 AM.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#3956298 - 05/21/14 02:25 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Well you know I'm in. And a most generous prize from Robert, well done Sir. To sweeten the pot I'll make the same offer as last go-round: a custom paint job for the winner's kite of choosing.

Good Luck Everyone!

Lou

Whoa! I was so excited to sign up I did not read through the whole thing. Fantastic prize Robert. Man would I love to have a Pup with that Mississippi state bird on it like your Nieuport! Thanks to you and Lou both!

#3956305 - 05/21/14 02:36 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave Sign up if u have Alberts What ? yep

#3956314 - 05/21/14 03:20 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: carrick58]  
Rover_27 Offline
Rover_27  Offline

Russia
Originally Posted By: carrick58
wave Sign up if u have Alberts What ? yep

:D:D:D

Hi all. I also had a good laugh while watching the video))
Thank you Rick for giving us another awesome challenge.
And of course you can count me in. I can't wait!

Good luck everyone it's gonna be hot up there attack

i5 2320, 3.3 GHz
GTX 560Ti, 4 GB graphics memory
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#3956383 - 05/21/14 10:10 AM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
Originally Posted By: Rick_Rawlings
Originally Posted By: corsaire31

Man, don't tell your country that! biggrin

Let's face reality, this plane is light and fragile, canvas tends to leave the wings, the rotary engine sends the nose everywhere in the sky,it is handicaped in left turns, you have a pea shooter, not much ammo, (if you have a Lewis you need to break off the fight to change drums), you can't outrun enemy planes and if you make it back you have the risk of killing yourself on landing ! winkngrin
The only good point is that if you cannot escape a fight on speed alone, you can escape in the vertical thanks to the good climb rate...

Last edited by corsaire31; 05/21/14 10:12 AM.

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#3956483 - 05/21/14 03:57 PM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Beanie Offline
Beanie  Offline

Canterbury, Kent
Please include me. Normally fly German aircaft, so I don't think I will last long!

'Der Fuchs'

BOC Member
'BWOC BWOC BWOC'
#3956498 - 05/21/14 04:22 PM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Oh yeah, I'm in! I haven't yet seen what airfield we are stationed at, but will be a happy boy if it is within the confines of RAF_Louvert's new map. Looking forward to putting it to good use.

#3956501 - 05/21/14 04:24 PM Re: WOFF Challenge #3 Albert Ball's BLOODY APRIL! [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Welcome aboard, Beanie...just remember to shoot at those guys and not with them and you will be fine...oh, and don't tell Olham!

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 25 26

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM