Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3951662 - 05/10/14 02:54 AM Spitfire Mk I prop pitch  
wraith444 Offline
wraith444  Offline

Every source I can find indicates the Spitfire Mk I has a 2-setting prop. When I fly it, however, it treats my prop pitch as a full axis that at full power varies my RPM from 3200+ RPM at full fine to well below 2000 at full coarse.

Was this recently changed? What's the proper way to fly it if you do indeed have full pitch control?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3951691 - 05/10/14 04:32 AM Re: Spitfire Mk I prop pitch [Re: wraith444]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Quote:

PITCH CHANGE RATE AND USING THE PITCH CONTROL LEVER TO SIMULATE A VARIABLE PITCH SYSTEM

Pitch change rates Coarse to Fine and vice versa have been revised to documented historical speeds
Pitch change from Coarse to Fine or vice versa takes 10 seconds.

Pilots may use this slower pitch change mechanism in the same way as the real RAF pilots did, as a means to mimic a variable pitch system and gain a bit of acceleration when Coarse Pitch rpms are very low. When the prop is in Coarse Pitch and the rpms are low, the pilot can engage the lever to change to Fine Pitch. The rpms will then rise as the blade angles change giving more bite to the prop and a brief burst of acceleration. Before the rpms reach 3000 and the engine over-revs, the Pilot should change the lever position back to Coarse Pitch, so that the Prop pitch reverses, and the engine goes back to lower RPM's. This technique is only recommended for use between 0- 10,000ft, or when at altitudes over 20,000ft. Extreme caution should be used to avoid over-revving the engine.

===Temporary description to cover TF ver 3.01 with use of VP system. Detailed Re write to be added later.=== The Spitfire MKI 2 pitch system could in fact be used with limitations as a Variable Pitch system. Though not exactly designed with this in mind it was found by pilots that careful use of the Prop pitch control allowed them to set any desired RPM rather than just Coarse or Fine pitch setting. This did not provide the complete flexibility of a dedicated VP system but did allow intermediate RPM control.This was good for certain flight phases like climb and Cruise. Due to limitations in the Pitch plunger design it does not really lend itself to combat flying. In this patch we have enabled the pilot to select a desired RPM. Blade angle change rates are still the same as was used in the original 2 Pitch system. We have not changed the 3d modelling of the Pitch lever, this will be done at a later stage. In the real aircraft the Pitch Change control was of a plunger or Push Pull type control.

http://www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/wiki/doku.php?id=spitfire_mk_i

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 05/10/14 04:43 AM.
#3951703 - 05/10/14 05:30 AM Re: Spitfire Mk I prop pitch [Re: wraith444]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
Note that historically, in the Battle of Britain, there were a considerable
number of spits and hurris that initially had 2-pitch props, but these
were swapped over in the field to constant speed, so that by Aug 15th
essentially all british fighters had the Rotol constant speed prop installed.
There has been much discussion of this in the BoBWoV forum
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12029

#3951756 - 05/10/14 10:55 AM Re: Spitfire Mk I prop pitch [Re: wraith444]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
I hope over time that TF will be able to fix the prop feathering that was broken by the devs

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3952032 - 05/11/14 01:06 AM Re: Spitfire Mk I prop pitch [Re: wraith444]  
wraith444 Offline
wraith444  Offline

That's the thing, though, it's not behaving like a 2-setting propeller like the De-Havilland 2 speed propeller OR like the Rotol constant speed propeller. Here's my description for how each one behaves for me:

De-Havilland (on the Hurricane Mk I): Adjusting my prop pitch axis causes the prop pitch to jump between 2 settings, one fine and one coarse. It takes a few seconds to transition between the two settings. Leaving it in one setting and adjusting the throttle causes both boost pressure and RPM to rise or fall as appropriate.

Rotol (On the Spit Mk IIa): The prop pitch control behaves as an axis, allowing me to make minute adjustments to the RPM. Leaving it on one setting and adjusting the throttle results in the boost pressure increasing or decreasing, while the RPM bumps up or down slightly (100 RPM or so) before readjusting back to the setting I selected earlier.

Contrast those to how the Spit Mk I behaves:

The prop pitch behaves as an axis similarly to the Rotol, allowing me to make slight adjustments. Adjusting the throttle results in the boost pressure increasing/decreasing as normal, as well as the RPM spiking/dipping dramatically (thousands of RPM).

With this in mind I seem to have a fair bit of success setting the boost pressure to a desired setting with the throttle, then flying entirely with the prop pitch at that point to control the RPM. I doubt it's the "right" way to do it, but it works until I find out the right way with whatever type of prop the Spitfire Mk I has (because it's almost certainly not the De-Havilland or Rotol as far as I can tell.)

#3952052 - 05/11/14 03:12 AM Re: Spitfire Mk I prop pitch [Re: wraith444]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Well talk to Buzzsaw in ATAG forum, is he who knows about it.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/fo...ll=1#post100405

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 05/11/14 03:13 AM.
#3952378 - 05/12/14 12:58 AM Re: Spitfire Mk I prop pitch [Re: wraith444]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: wraith444

With this in mind I seem to have a fair bit of success setting the boost pressure to a desired setting with the throttle, then flying entirely with the prop pitch at that point to control the RPM. I doubt it's the "right" way to do it, but it works until I find out the right way with whatever type of prop the Spitfire Mk I has (because it's almost certainly not the De-Havilland or Rotol as far as I can tell.)

I've been trying to figure out CEM both in SP and on the ATAG server and one pilot who helped me on the ATAG server taught me to fly almost entirely with prop pitch to manage RPM and air speed (whether Spitfire or 109). Is that historically accurate? I thought prop pitch was adjusted for climb out and different altitudes but not managed continuously while dogfighting as the primary engine control.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.