Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3948544 - 05/03/14 01:41 PM Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
With an early look at the 1.15.2 release candidate, I’ve dusted off this old classic for some stick time. It will be a bit of a re-learning curve since I’m having to reprofile my HOTAS and relearn a lot of the capabilities of the EECH avionics modeling.

We’ll be starting out by flying the Cuba Libre campaign by ricnunes. I chose this campaign because ricnunes set it up with a good approximation of a correct order of battle and military strengths. Though the force levels appear to greatly favor the RED side, I’m told that due to the lack of reinforcement capability for the RED side, the campaign is actually easier flying for the BLUE side unless RED quickly overwhelms the forces at Guantanamo Bay. Since I’m just getting back into the sim, I thought it would be a bit easier for me to get reacclimated by flying for the BLUE side.

The briefing tells the story – the shaded areas are “fog of war” where enemy force disposition are unknown…

A close-up look at the BLUE pocket at Guantanamo Bay. Offshore bases on carriers are available…

The highlight of EECH is, of course, the campaign engine. With a lot of action going on there are plenty of missions and roles to choose from. Our first mission will be a quick strike against the leading edge of the RED forces…

For loadout we go exclusively with radar Hellfires (L) for both me and my wingman since we probably won’t get close enough for rockets at this early point in the campaign…

My wingman and I spool up our engines at the airbase…

On the way – loaded for bear…

We cross the base perimeter fence and are officially on Cuban soil…

U.S. artillery sends shells outbound from the base…

We close within about 4KM of our strike waypoint before turning on our fire control radar (FCR) for a few sweeps. The ASE page shows an SA-13 threat as well…

With a bit of a hedge blocking direct line of sight, I lob some Hellfires toward the primary target vehicles…

After rippling off a few missiles, I’m surprised to see helicopters zipping by just in front of me. A closer look – Hinds! Holy crap they are close! I quickly switch to A2A radar mode and select Stingers. I launch four at close range and all of them get spoofed by the flares of the quick responding Hinds…

With no luck using Stingers, I switch to the chain gun and push the nose over to pursue the Hinds…

The 20mm shells quickly dispatch both Hinds and I’m surprised by a third Hind that flits by in front of us so I turn the gun on him…

With the immediate threat down, we loop back around to the south in a sweeping right turn and I turn the FCR back on to the primary target area to kill the last armored vehicles in the group…

With the primary targets destroyed, we beat it back south over the fenceline to our base…

If I had some RED artillery I know what I’d be aiming at!

I land at the base and the refueling message comes up. I elect to quit the mission while I’m ahead. There will be plenty of opportunities to “go rogue” further along in the campaign…

Mission accomplished!

Nice starter mission and this should be a fun campaign. Even though the force alignment is a bit lopsided right now, I hope to seize the initiative and momentum quickly in the campaign.

BeachAV8R

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3948557 - 05/03/14 02:36 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR [Re: BeachAV8R]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Outstanding AAR!

#3948672 - 05/03/14 08:15 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR [Re: BeachAV8R]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Very good. Waiting for more.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3948700 - 05/03/14 10:06 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR [Re: BeachAV8R]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Excellent AAR!

BTW, glad you're enjoying this campaign!
Not wanting to derail the purpose of this thread but I can confirm that this campaign is actually at the very beginning harder for the Blue/American side since it "simulates" a Red/Cuban surprise attack. As the campaign progresses the campaign will get much easier for the Blue side and I believe that you'll find this campaign in general terms easier for the Blue side, this is mainly because of two reasons:
1- Like you correctly said, everything that the Reds have on the map/theater from the start is everything they will ever get (Reds won't have any reinforcements except for land vehicles).
2- Force alignment bars/graphs are a bit misleading for this campaign, this is because they show quantitative values only and they completely disregard qualitative factors.
Imagine for example if the Blue side has a total of 12 gunship helicopters and they are all AH-64D Longbow Apaches while the Red side has a total of 20 gunship helicopters and they are all Mi-24 Hinds, in this case the Force alignment bars/graph will show 60% towards/favourable to the Red side regarding armed helicopters while the Blue side has 40% but we all know that the a side with 12 AH-64 Longbow Apaches should be more powerful than the opposing side with 20 Mi-24 Hinds.
In stock campaigns those Force alignment bars/graphs are actually more "accurate" since for each vehicle/hardware that one side has it is matched by other vehicle/hardware with similar capabilities. For example in the stock campaigns for each AH-64D Longbow Apache (Blue) you'll have a Mi-28 (Red), for each Comanche you'll have a Ka-52 and so on...

And BTW, please feel free to give me your feedback smile

I also have a question:
Are you using any mods? I'm asking this because the graphics on those screenshots definitely look better than what I experience on system.

#3948982 - 05/04/14 06:59 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Our second mission in the Cuba Libre campaign has us flying out to the western region of the known enemy locations. Keep in mind the dark shading on the map represents the “fog of war” areas where enemy locations and strengths are unknown. The mission is a straight forward interdiction mission against enemy armor.

Again, we’ll go for a heavy load of Hellfires. As ricnunes indicated, the campaign is set up to give the immediate advantage to the RED side, but BLUE has the advantage of resupply whereas all the pieces RED has to play are already on the map (hidden or otherwise). So interdiction and rapid decimation of RED forces is the best strategy. I’m also hoping to push out a buffer zone around our base at Guantanamo Bay because I’m not sure how effective enemy artillery might be at hitting our own equipment.

One of our resupply drops is over the base…

We take off and head northwest toward the target area…

Approaching from the south we creep up on the enemy armor and do a few quick sweeps with the FCR to pin down their location. I seem to remember that using the FCR too much can attract enemy counter-air, so I try to keep the FCR use to a minimum.

Hellfire away!

I hit a few vehicles but a couple are being obscured by the terrain slanting down toward the river behind them…

Though there is still a couple vehicles left we are credited with a mission success already, but we aren’t done blowing stuff up yet…

We break off to the west to come around from a different direction which should give us a good look at the vehicles we don’t have line of sight on…

With the all of the enemy armor destroyed I decide we should take advantage of being out on the western flank with a load of Hellfires. I set a new steerpoint by moving waypoint “F” to some high ground west of another known enemy location.

As we climb to the high point the weather started turning a bit ugly as visibility dropped and it started raining. (You can’t beat EECH for environmental moodiness!)

At the crest of the hill I select the “HIGH” threat priority and flip the FCR on for a few sweeps revealing some SA-13 vehicles below…

In EECH you spend a lot of time flipping back and forth between the map, which can give you some clues to what is going on around you. On one such flip, I see the symbol for enemy air behind us. With an enemy map refresh rate of 120 seconds, there is no telling how long or where the contact is at the moment. To make sure, I turn the FCR on air-to-air mode for a full sweep but no contacts appear…

After destroying the SA-13 vehicles there are no more targets, so they were just picket vehicles for air defense unassociated with other armor. I still have a few Hellfire missiles and my wingman has a full load, so we elect to push further east and tackle the three known enemy locations north of Guantanamo…

With a little terrain between us and the targets, I switch to the higher profile LOAL Hellfire mode which arcs the missile up into a higher flight path…

To this point, I’ve been swamped with re-learning the EECH commands and HOTAS, so I haven’t paid much attention to my wingmen AI. With us in a pretty good position, I elect to use up some of my wingman’s Hellfires and direct him on to targets. The AI works pretty good if you keep a tight leash on them and direct their fire specifically…

Once we knock out all of the enemy locations, I decide to call it a day and we head south for home base. On the way though, I can’t help but see that now the enemy airbase north of Guantanamo is undefended, so I elect to go take a peek. I set the FCR priority to LOW and we proceed toward the base…

The airbase is definitely abandoned. I hadn’t thought about it until I started writing up the AAR, but I had neglected to remember ricnunes had somehow put all of the RED units on the map, which meant somehow he was able to disable the vehicle generator buildings that usually re-supply forces. (Those familiar with EECH will be familiar with the vehicle, helo, and aircraft generator buildings and their importance to the EECH campaign.)

I find and target the generator buildings and hand off those targets to my wingman since he has Hellfires and all I have left is cannon. Watching his missile trails streaking across the field in front of me is pretty cool…

I use my gun against some of the support vehicles..

I can’t remember if that is a vehicle generator or helo generator…

We do some damage but we don’t linger in the area for too long. I order my wingman to rejoin and we head south toward home…

Suddenly my ASE (Aircraft Survivability Equipment) shows what every EECH pilot dreads – fighters! Oh crap…

I kill the FCR and instead of turning to engage with our Stingers I elect to dump the nose, get in the weeds, and buster to the south, hoping to get under the umbrella of anti-air by BLUE forces at our base. I pop a continuous stream of flares and chaff…

As we cross the base fence I see a campaign update message that indicates the MiG-29s wandered a bit too close to our base…

One of our own vehicle generator buildings – pumping out replacement vehicles. This is the advantage that BLUE has in this campaign as ricnunes has indicated…

Back at base safe and sound. No matter what sim you fly, if you fly helicopters, you are familiar with that dull ache between your shoulder blades after a long mission. The attention and constant vigilance required to fly helos is why I enjoy them so much in PC flight sims. Embrace the burn!!

As I shut down I can see BLUE units are pushing north beyond the gates of our base to establish positions in enemy territory…

I don’t know if it will be available next, but I suspect my next mission I might chose would be a recon of the airbase so that the campaign will generate an insertion mission as well. I’m not up on any recent campaign logic changes that have been made (if any), but I wonder if I should have left the base untouched and not destroyed the generator buildings in case we can use them in the event we take over the base (?).

Another really fun mission with the new and improved EECH. I’m already looking forward to flying the next mission and driving that wedge deeper into RED territory…

BeachAV8R

#3949062 - 05/04/14 11:39 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Looks like my web-hosting site is down - or my site was hacked, I'm not sure which. It was up as of about 3 hours ago, so I don't know what happened in the interim. I've got a message into my site support. We'll see.

BeachAV8R

#3949335 - 05/05/14 05:25 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR (updated 5/5/2014) [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Mission #3 will be a quick out and back. As expected, after hitting the RED airfield Guantanamo, the campaign generated a RECON mission to assess the damage level. We’ll be taking a single OH-58D north to take a peek and assess the situation.

Since we aren’t planning to get too involved, I load rocket pods on the pylons…

Into the cockpit we go for the short flight to the airfield…

Passing over our own vehicle generator building which churns out reinforcements…

Outside the base perimeter…

Upon arrival at the base I get into trouble pretty quickly. The base defenses are still destroyed and there has been no resupply yet, but a pair of Hinds show up on the scene from the north and I find myself in a bit of a pickle.

They are busy engaging some BLUE mechanized units that are moving up on the east side of the base so I try to sneak in, get my recon data, and sneak out…

But as they destroy the last vehicle in the column, they quickly notice my presence and turn their attention to me…

A near hit coincides with an engine failure. To be honest, I’m not sure if I was hit by the missile or if I just spent too much time in the over-torque regime and damaged the engine. Whatever the case, I perform a quick auto-rotation to an ungraceful landing just outside of the airfield. I’m close enough to the base that I’m allowed to transmit my recon data though, at least assuring the mission is a success…

The two Hinds start creeping up on me and fire a few rockets which miss. I’m just waiting for a death blow, but pull up my communications menu and request assistance from the controller as rockets rain down around me…

In a couple minutes I see the awesome sight of a BLUE fighter sweep icon appear on the map. It really is amazing how awesome Razorworks did with their campaign and this sim is almost 15 years old!

The fighters sweep in from over Guantanamo Bay and fire their missiles from afar…

Boom! Splash one Hind!

Splash two!

Unfortunately, I’m unable to repair since we don’t own the base. I quit the mission and even though I get a mission success I do lose the helicopter (I guess?). The results of the RECON are that the base is still functional. I should have pulled from my memory banks that the best way to do those recon missions is to take some firepower and destroy the base infrastructure prior to sending the recon data. That way the base is shown as destroyed and an insertion mission will be generated. Stupid me. Also – I can’t remember if I can add helos to my flight because really this would have been a better hunter/killer team mission with an accompanying Apache. I’ll have to look into that.

• Thanks to thealx for giving us the blurred rotor option back – it looks great!

BeachAV8R

#3949369 - 05/05/14 06:09 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR (updated 5/5/2014) [Re: BeachAV8R]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Fighting... urge... to... reinstall... ahhhhh!

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3949430 - 05/05/14 07:37 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR (updated 5/5/2014) [Re: BeachAV8R]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Awesome AARs, specially that 3rd mission!

That 3rd mission of your reminds me why my favourite loadout for the Kiowa is 2xStingers and 2xHellfires since it gives the ability to defend myself from enemy aircraft or if I have to attack or defend myself against air defence systems.

If you were hit by a missile from the Hind then you were very lucky indeed since a strike from one of those AT-6s usually blows up the helicopter completely (which makes sense since those missiles were designed to destroy Tanks).

#3949511 - 05/05/14 10:40 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR (updated 5/5/2014) [Re: ricnunes]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: malibu43
Fighting... urge... to... reinstall... ahhhhh!

You might as well wait until the RC goes final and gets released..! thumbsup

Originally Posted By: ricnunes
That 3rd mission of your reminds me why my favourite loadout for the Kiowa is 2xStingers and 2xHellfires since it gives the ability to defend myself from enemy aircraft or if I have to attack or defend myself against air defence systems.

If you were hit by a missile from the Hind then you were very lucky indeed since a strike from one of those AT-6s usually blows up the helicopter completely (which makes sense since those missiles were designed to destroy Tanks).

I would swear I used to be able to pair up hybrid flights (1 OH-58 and 1 AH-64D)..but I'll have to check. That would be ideal for directing your wingman in a pinch. I still think I might have just over-torqued the engine for too long instead of taking damage from the missile..

Enjoying your campaign!

BeachAV8R

#3950271 - 05/07/14 01:53 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR (updated 5/5/2014) [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
On our last mission we performed a recon on Guantanamo (North) airbase and it showed as still operational. The campaign generator has tasked a further strike against the airfield to put it out of commision.

As we take off on our mission, BLUE MRLS is lighting up somebody to the north...

It seems a bit of overkill to have four Apaches on this mission, but I can't see a way to remove units from a flight (?)...

As we approach the airbase I get the dreaded "29" symbol on the ASE. I turn the FCR on A2A mode and drop the scan volume down to a small wedge in front to increase the target refresh rate, but I can't spot anything yet...

Friendly air cover is overhead, so I'm hoping they will clean up the threat... One nice thing about the 120 second (set by the player) update rate on enemy positions on the in-game map - it is a bit more challenging for gameplay since you don't have quickly updating symbols on the map that allow you to track enemy air in realtime. Nice change to how the campaign is presented...

Crap, they are right on top of us but I still can't get a lock with my Stingers!

Then I see them - they are on the ground at Guantanamo (North)! Well that takes balls!

I switch to my cannon and take out the two juicy (irreplaceable) targets...

With that threat gone, we settle in to an orbit over the field and I start hosing down all the support vehicles with cannon. I also pick out structures and hand them off to my wingmen to destroy...

It doesn't take long to clean up the base since there is no enemy presence, just support vehicles and buildings...

Soon we are on our way back to base...

Always the most challenging part - squeezing onto a pad without hitting anything...

Mission accomplished!

To my great surprise - a quick check of the available missions shows an insertion sortie against Guantanamo (North)..awesome!

We fire up the Blackhawks on the USS Saipan off the coast for the medium length (40KM) flight to the airbase...

I should have left weapons behind, but I did drop the fuel down because the Blackhawk seems pretty lethargic even at maximum power...

As we head from the ship the weather turns ugly again as storm clouds roll in, rain begins to fall, and visibility drops...

On the map I spot something alarming. A heavy support helicopter flight (RED) looks like it is heading for the base too - probably to resupply it and try to get it operational again. I'm hoping we can get there first and seize the base!

Arriving over the base, there is no sign of the RED helicopters. I'm wondering if this insertion will fail if they managed to get the base resupplied to a certain operational level (?)...

We set down near the LZ waypoint and our troops clamber out and start spreading across the airfield. (Yeah - again, EECH is awesome!)

Mission accomplished!

Nearby some RED armor units are being shot up by another BLUE helicopter flight...

To my surprise, on the flight out, I spot the RED helos - and they are ON the airbase! Wow..can't believe I missed that. For a moment, I consider destroying them with rockets, but in recent EECH versions there is a capability of capturing airbases and the enemy equipment, so I figure I'll test out that theory...

Back at the ship - again, the most challenging part is getting aboard without bending anything...

The mission is a success - BLUE takes the airfield and a quick look at the resource tracker shows that the base will be under repair. Now we have to make sure we hang on to it against RED forces that might want to recapture it...but as ricnunes indicated, you can already feel the momentum shifting against RED even at this early phase of the campaign.

Compare the first mission balance of power against the current...

Fun variety of missions and looking forward to hop scotching further inland!

BeachAV8R

#3950321 - 05/07/14 03:18 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR (updated 5/5/2014) [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Jonesy8077 Offline
Jonesy8077  Offline

Dudley, West Midlands
Hmmm I might have to dig this out once my pedals come from the nice man on eBay in the next few days.

#3950614 - 05/08/14 03:46 AM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR (updated 5/5/2014) [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Another revived/updated RC3 install of EECH, thanks to your always excellent AARs, Beach.

Eugene

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3950720 - 05/08/14 12:32 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Apocalypse31 Offline
Apocalypse31  Offline

Outstanding AAR.

Is this an open-world dynamic campaign?

For a 15 year old game, it still looks fantastic. I'm no flyboy, but I may have to pick this up.

I wish someone would make an RTS style game like this, but while still being able to directly control vehicles... Even ground vehicles. Something like a RTS/FPS version of Wargame

Rangers Lead the Way
#3950772 - 05/08/14 02:10 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR [Re: BeachAV8R]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
Please continue Beach, I really enjoy reading youre AARs!

#3950809 - 05/08/14 02:47 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR [Re: Apocalypse31]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Another revived/updated RC3 install of EECH, thanks to your always excellent AARs, Beach.

Thanks.. thumbsup

Originally Posted By: Apocalypse31
Is this an open-world dynamic campaign?

Yes - the campaign runs continuously and you pick and choose what roles you want to perform. You also can significantly change the campaign by "going rogue" and doing your own freelance work. The more you destroy the enemy, the more overall effect you have on the campaign.

Originally Posted By: Apocalypse31
For a 15 year old game, it still looks fantastic. I'm no flyboy, but I may have to pick this up.

Not only does it look pretty good..the gameplay has been steadily improving with new features, graphics, controls, etc.. The continuous development of EECH is a truly amazing story..

BeachAV8R

#3950812 - 05/08/14 02:47 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR [Re: EagleEye[GER]]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: EagleEye[GER
]Please continue Beach, I really enjoy reading youre AARs!

Thanks! I sure will.

BeachAV8R

#3951106 - 05/08/14 11:45 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR [Re: BeachAV8R]  
tomcat Offline
tomcat  Offline

Halifax, NS, Canada
Seems like whenever I start checking your AARs every few hours I wind up getting the game featured in them. If that's any indication I may wind up grabbing this. You're going to need to start getting commission!

#3956436 - 05/21/14 01:34 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR (updated 5/5/2014) [Re: BeachAV8R]  
GogKbob Offline
GogKbob  Offline

Poca,WV USA
Fantastic aar as always

#3956487 - 05/21/14 04:07 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR (updated 5/5/2014) [Re: BeachAV8R]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Ariel
Unregistered

And installing EECH...now copter

Completely forgot i had this awsome sim. Great read as always, keep them posting pls!

#3956549 - 05/21/14 05:32 PM Re: Cuba Libre - Campaign AAR (updated 5/5/2014) [Re: BeachAV8R]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Great pics! Always a fun read. Thanks for posting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.