"Lawrence of Arabia meets Sebastian Junger’s War in this unique, poignantly dramatic true story of heroism and heartbreak in Afghanistan, written by a veteran war correspondent—one of the most remarkable stories of love and war ever told." ~ Amazon

As I have been traveling quite a lot for work recently I needed something to occupy those long hours on spent inside the cabin of an airliner. Having read multiple articles about U.S. Special Forces Maj. Jim Gant and his exploits in both Iraq and Afghanistan throughout the years I couldn't wait to pick up this newly released book about his strategy of "One Tribe At A Time" to win the war in Afghanistan.

Just a little FYI about Maj. Gant, his was a bit of a Maverick and Pariah in the SF community. He definitely got the job done but often went about doing it his own way, orders be damned! This attitude earned him both the respect of the soldiers who served with him and the disgust of many of his superior officers and colleges.

He wrote a paper regarding the United States outlook on winning the war in Afghanistan called "One Tribe At A Time" in which he went into detail on how the US strategy needed to change based upon history throughout that region and the most important factor that every would be conqueror to Afghanistan failed to ignore, the support of the Pashtun tribes.

This book recount rise to SF stardom within the ranks, to implementing his "One Tribe At A Time" policy serning him the nickname "Lawrence of Afghanistan", and then his downfall and career ending demise. Make no mistake, Maj. Gant is a warrior first and foremost but he severely underestimated Washington/Military politics. Overall this was a great read for anyone who is remotely interested in military history.

You can download and read his "One Tribe At A Time" paper from the link below:

One Tribe At A Time

Last edited by xIGuNDoCIx; 04/24/14 07:48 PM.