Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3943936 - 04/24/14 04:25 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Hypocrisy isn't political, it's just an epidemic.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3943938 - 04/24/14 04:26 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Dogsbd Offline
Dogsbd  Offline

SC, USA
And who was being hypocritical anywhere in this thread??

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. ~Benjamin Franklin

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." Winston Churchill

ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Quad-Core CPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600
Samsung 1TB 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s HD x2
#3943942 - 04/24/14 04:33 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
My first exposure to solar power was back in the eighties when my grandpa was experimenting with it at his cottage. He was a man ahead of his time, though grandma thought he was a man lost in his time he he

#3943948 - 04/24/14 04:40 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Dogsbd]  
arthur666 Offline
Pitbull Tickler
arthur666  Offline
Pitbull Tickler

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: Dogsbd
And who was being hypocritical anywhere in this thread??

Me!
Originally Posted By: arthur666
Have you seen how some people drive?
Pfft. I drive like a drug-addled a-hole being chased by giant imaginary space weasels.

Wait... What are we talking about?

#3943960 - 04/24/14 05:01 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I have no problem with people voluntarily choosing to make their home based on solar power but what gives any government the perogative to mandate that?

edit: I was originally thinking of discussing the systems and technology, not going the gov't discussion route.

Last edited by Raw Kryptonite; 04/24/14 05:05 PM.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3943961 - 04/24/14 05:01 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Don't know about the US but here in Germany a lot of newly-built houses feature solar panels of some sort.

And there's barely any farm around here that actually hasn't its roof plastered with them.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3943966 - 04/24/14 05:08 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Scoobe Offline
Scoobe  Offline

I looked into getting a solar roof recently and even had them come to my house for an estimate. I was told the main part of my roof does not face south and it would not generate enough energy to be economically viable. You need to have a large portion of your roof facing the sun and no trees blocking.

Rob

Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
#3943969 - 04/24/14 05:13 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Cost? Why would it STILL be so costly to do it?

Well, let's see ... with all the stuff you run at home, you'll need a $40000 system up-front to power it all. That's a minimum of $40k, last time I looked.

You will have to maintain and/or replace the batteries on a regular basis. They're not cheap, and they don't resemble anything 'green' in any way, shape or form. They're quite toxic smile

You will have to maintain the solar panels, and add panels or replace panels as power drops off with age - in other words, you might say 'this panel lasts for 25 years', but it's likely that those panels won't be able to supply the electricity you need throughout their entire life. Of course, you can buy a bigger, more expensive system to help deal with that.

Don't bother buying an electric car. You won't be able to charge it AND run your house.

Solar panels suck up a lot of space, and I mean a lot of it! You might simply not have the area required to pick up enough energy to run the house!

--
44th VFW
#3943970 - 04/24/14 05:16 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
I think a good compromise would be a house still connected to the grid, but also with a smaller solar-powered battery system as well as one or two of those small wind-powered electric generating systems tied into it (the small vertical blade ones).

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#3943973 - 04/24/14 05:21 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Wind I will consider. Even project-building a small vertical turbine is more appealing to me than solar.

Speaking of regulations... IIRC some areas have ordinances against residential wind power, so you've got to check.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3943974 - 04/24/14 05:21 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I have no problem with people voluntarily choosing to make their home based on solar power but what gives any government the perogative to mandate that?

edit: I was originally thinking of discussing the systems and technology, not going the gov't discussion route.
I was just making a reply to the statment by David concerning building codes and having homes with solar energy capability a requirement. No PWEC intended! smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3943980 - 04/24/14 05:29 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
IMHO...it's fine, I love it when I don't have to be the 'bad guy'.
If members keep moderating themselves, I can take a nap.....lol....

And BTW...no way could I ever go with solar panels.
What about guys like me, living in the forest with 150' trees?
And on the north slope, in northern Michigan.

No way that's ever gonna happen.

"Murphy's Law"
#3943982 - 04/24/14 05:36 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
I'll chime in with someone who knows something about this and has two years of experience with the results. We installed a 7.5kW whole home solar array on our roof because it is angled almost perfectly (190) and almost perfect pitch. Upfront cost was $31,000 of which the Federal government gave us a 30% rebate and the state 35%. So our out of pocket cost was about $11,000. I won't comment much on the politics of using incentives - but I'll say that every energy source you use has energy costs and incentives that indirectly or directly affect them. Cheap oil? Well, it costs money to wage wars and shape governments to keep that stuff cheap. Long story short - if all energy sources were level playing field (oil, nuclear, coal, solar) we'd be able to really compare their costs. That will never happen. Whether it costs me more or less is irrelevant - it makes me feel good that on most days, the entirety of my home is being powered purely by the sun, and I'm usually producing more than I'm using, so I'm also sending power back down the lines.

Power generation is monitored in realtime via the web (for free). It isn't a battery powered/storage system, it is purely a power generation system that doesn't store any energy. So whatever the house uses, it consumes, and any residual it sends back through the meter to Duke Power for them to use. So my generation - my usage = credit or debit to Duke Power. It is called net metering.

The local news did a spot on our house last year:

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/duke-energy-ceo-calls-move-power-giant-potential-t/nW45b/

The result? My house is 100% electric (no natural gas, oil, or any other alternative fuel for water or anything) so our bills in the summer were running around $280 a month for running the whole house (not a big house - 2000 sq. ft). Now they are down around $80 a month. In the winter we heat now with a wood stove and our electric bills have gotten down to around $30-$40. We figure we will break even on the install in about 8 or 9 years. We've found that going solar was not only a direct electrical generation thing, but also a philosophical change. We don't waste power anymore, and we've replaced all our lights with LEDs and are generally just more power savy than we used to be. It isn't hard.

Batteries would add a cost and complexity that we aren't really interested. So we still need the power company to provide us power at night - so they will never go away. Peak electrical demand is usually during the day (particularly in the summer), so solar is great for that. An alternative will always be necessary for nights and poor weather. Even on cloudy days our system puts out 1500 to 2000 kW..

The federal and state tax subsidies are likely to go away soon as oil, gas, coal lobbyists start to get their way. <shrug> I don't much get into the debates over why we are still burning fossil fuels to generate power. It is extremely profitable and that will always drive decisions. The power and energy companies will give lip service to renewables, but it is most definitely not in their best interests to pursue it, and instead suppress it by getting incentives rolled back. They will claim it's leveling the playing field, but like I said, they get plenty of help directly and indirectly by the government.

Those interested in the technical details, this is what we had done:

1) Radiant Barrier throughout attic or crawl space (reflects heat out in summer/ keeps heat in during winter)
2) Solar Attic Fan
3) Fronius IG+ 7.5kW Inverter (spec sheet attached) w/ Data Monitoring
4) 28 Mage Powertec 250 Watt Solar Modules (spec sheet attached) -30 year warranty
5) Mage "Solar Mount" roof mount and flashing - rated for 90-120 mph winds
6) A/C & D/C Disconnects for safety
7) All wiring, conduit, and breakers necessary to connect panels to inverter into main service

If anyone has any questions - PM them to me and I'll be glad to explain or help..

BeachAV8R

Last edited by BeachAV8R; 04/24/14 05:42 PM.

#3943992 - 04/24/14 05:49 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS

I was just making a reply to the statment by David concerning building codes and having homes with solar energy capability a requirement. No PWEC intended! smile

To clarify, I was self-policing and retracted my own comment.
I was following the rabbit down the hole. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#3943994 - 04/24/14 05:54 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
on that note, I have a Big Roof, one side faces sun rise, one faces sunset....

so during mid-day I'd prolly have poor performance if I simply put solar panels over top of the roof.

If the cost was decent, I'd put a huge panel in my backyard on the timed motor... but the city here does not allow it (against some building code.)

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3943995 - 04/24/14 05:54 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Awesome Beach

#3943997 - 04/24/14 05:56 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Beach, what would have been looking at with the batteries? Would you have had less grid dependance (to a meaningful degree), or been able to manage normal household usage through the night?

The people I know do get through the nights and cloudy days with their batteries, but as I said, it won't do kitchen appliances.

Also, when sending power back down the line, do you recover any money/credit against your bill for that?

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3943999 - 04/24/14 06:02 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
I'll chime in with someone who knows something about this and has two years of experience with the results. We installed a 7.5kW whole home solar array on our roof because it is angled almost perfectly (190) and almost perfect pitch. Upfront cost was $31,000 of which the Federal government gave us a 30% rebate and the state 35%. So our out of pocket cost was about $11,000. I won't comment much on the politics of using incentives - but I'll say that every energy source you use has energy costs and incentives that indirectly or directly affect them. Cheap oil? Well, it costs money to wage wars and shape governments to keep that stuff cheap. Long story short - if all energy sources were level playing field (oil, nuclear, coal, solar) we'd be able to really compare their costs. That will never happen. Whether it costs me more or less is irrelevant - it makes me feel good that on most days, the entirety of my home is being powered purely by the sun, and I'm usually producing more than I'm using, so I'm also sending power back down the lines.

Excellent info, thanks for taking the time!
Lucky about the house facing the right way. That's part of why I think planning that from the build stage would be smart--position it right from the start.
Do you notice your attic being noticeably cooler in the summer? Around here, that's much of what you're fighting in the hot months (most of the year)--the attic heat. When we had our roof done a few years ago we put in both passive "whirly bird" vents as well as ridge vents to try to get it cooler up there. It made a big difference. I'd imagine most of the south facing roof covered with panels would help some in that respect too.
With our moderate winters, it doesn't take much to heat our house. My wife's grandmother has a stand alone wood burning stove/fireplace type set up with venting throughout the house to carry the heat (not smoke). You can't stand to have the blowers on for more than a few minutes before the place is uncomfortably hot.
I didn't know the incentives were that good. Certainly helps, but I bet you're right about those days being numbered.
I'm mainly surprised that you don't see builders specializing in homes built to save money and energy in the long run. I haven't seen the concrete home builders in a while now, but I liked that idea too. I guess people are more interested in granite counter tops (which are nice too).

#3944003 - 04/24/14 06:12 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: BeachAV8R]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Power generation is monitored in realtime via the web (for free). It isn't a battery powered/storage system, it is purely a power generation system that doesn't store any energy. So whatever the house uses, it consumes, and any residual it sends back through the meter to Duke Power for them to use. So my generation - my usage = credit or debit to Duke Power. It is called net metering.

The local news did a spot on our house last year:

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/duke-energy-ceo-calls-move-power-giant-potential-t/nW45b/

The result? My house is 100% electric (no natural gas, oil, or any other alternative fuel for water or anything) so our bills in the summer were running around $280 a month for running the whole house (not a big house - 2000 sq. ft). Now they are down around $80 a month. In the winter we heat now with a wood stove and our electric bills have gotten down to around $30-$40. We figure we will break even on the install in about 8 or 9 years. We've found that going solar was not only a direct electrical generation thing, but also a philosophical change. We don't waste power anymore, and we've replaced all our lights with LEDs and are generally just more power savy than we used to be. It isn't hard.

Batteries would add a cost and complexity that we aren't really interested. So we still need the power company to provide us power at night - so they will never go away. Peak electrical demand is usually during the day (particularly in the summer), so solar is great for that. An alternative will always be necessary for nights and poor weather. Even on cloudy days our system puts out 1500 to 2000 kW..

The federal and state tax subsidies are likely to go away soon as oil, gas, coal lobbyists start to get their way. <shrug> I don't much get into the debates over why we are still burning fossil fuels to generate power. It is extremely profitable and that will always drive decisions. The power and energy companies will give lip service to renewables, but it is most definitely not in their best interests to pursue it, and instead suppress it by getting incentives rolled back. They will claim it's leveling the playing field, but like I said, they get plenty of help directly and indirectly by the government.

Those interested in the technical details, this is what we had done:

1) Radiant Barrier throughout attic or crawl space (reflects heat out in summer/ keeps heat in during winter)
2) Solar Attic Fan
3) Fronius IG+ 7.5kW Inverter (spec sheet attached) w/ Data Monitoring
4) 28 Mage Powertec 250 Watt Solar Modules (spec sheet attached) -30 year warranty
5) Mage "Solar Mount" roof mount and flashing - rated for 90-120 mph winds
6) A/C & D/C Disconnects for safety
7) All wiring, conduit, and breakers necessary to connect panels to inverter into main service

If anyone has any questions - PM them to me and I'll be glad to explain or help..

BeachAV8R

In 5 or so years when mortgage is done on my home it will be remodel time, Extensively, Im talking major re-construction.

I'll prolly look into a solar panel, if building codes change in Va Beach by then, the system we wanted put in in 2004 was not allowed.

I wouldnt mind having everything powered by solar during the day and anything running at night off local Power Company.

I do know a friend in a neighboring city that has a good size panel above his deck that rotates as the sun rises/sets, and stores power in a battery. He rarely uses local power. and whenever we have a big storm that knocks out the grid (ie Hurricane) he still has power for the most part from his panel.

I believe in VA it's a significant Tax Break too..,

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3944009 - 04/24/14 06:16 PM Re: It's the future, so why aren't all houses solar by now? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
one thing that gets me a little bit is if every new home had a couple of panels on its roof it'd help ease the burden of the power stations. Sure it wouldnt run the house, but if it reduces the need for that house to take energy from the grid a little .. then times that by X amount of new houses ... it'd add up into a fair chunk.

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.