Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3943599 - 04/24/14 01:28 AM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: RacerGT]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Does anyone else find that their plane flies better by itself once you bail out. biggrin

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3943697 - 04/24/14 08:33 AM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: Sokol1]  
hippo Offline
hippo  Offline

London
Originally Posted By: HeinKill

Not something I had researched before, so I just went to my bible, the book "Hurricane" by Leo McKistry. Might be partly true...

I was wondering whether you had experienced the behaviour in the sim yourself, and your opinion of it. For me it is a fundamental flaw in the game - I'm guessing that for you it's not. I continue to be surprised by how little this bothers people. Clearly I have some strange variant form of flight model OCD.

Originally Posted By: EinsteinEP

I haven't flown the TF 4.31 aircraft, but what you're describing sounds like an accurate description of real aircraft behavior, with the exception of hanging your arm out. Aircraft designers put complicated control trim systems in aircraft for exactly this purpose: propeller torque, slipstream effects, manufacturing misalignments, varying performance with atmospheric conditions, altitude, airspeed, etc., etc. There are differing philosophies on when to trim and how often, but I'll leave that for another forum.

It's precisely these sort of effects I would like to experiment with. Usually, I do this by doing a long flight from A - B and playing with all the levers, changing altitudes, etc. It is very inconvenient to do all this, when you have to continually keep one hand on a continually deflected joystick.

hanging your arm out

"put my arm out" == injure my arm so that it ceases to function. (A colloquialism from round my way. Apologies for the confusion.)

It's disappointing to hear fellow flight simmers give up on a game that quickly - understanding the quirks of real behavior like this makes the experience that much more enriching for me.

Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
What's even more disappointing is to see simmers give up on a game because of a few bugs (in this case that might not be bugs) and not be able to get past them to enjoy the bulk of good gaming and simulation.

I have clearly not explained myself correctly. I have put at least fifty hours over many attempts over the years, with this game, and do not give up lightly. What to some might be a minor bug, might for others be a glaring fundamental flaw. Have either of you actually tried this game and experienced what I'm referring to? I'm surprised that you'd let it go quite so lightly.

Originally Posted By: Sokol1

Hurricane don't have aileron trim, only elevator and rudder.
The fix aileron trim tab is adjusted for cruise flight, for Hurricane is @ 2650RPM and around 4 1/2lbs boost.

I take your point, but I would ask you to consider that the following might suggest that the effect as modelled is not quite right:

- turning off torque in the options (even turning off ALL the advanced FM options) does nothing. The effect is always there.

- if you fly S&L, no matter what the engine settings, the rate and magnitude of the effect is always the same.

- the effect appears to be in the wrong sense.

You should fly the Sturmovik in il-2:Bo$ to see how to use joystick "realistically"...

Sorry for going even more off topic, but, please could you elaborate?

Last edited by hippo; 04/24/14 08:33 AM.
#3943701 - 04/24/14 08:53 AM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: Coot]  
hippo Offline
hippo  Offline

London
Originally Posted By: Coot
I wonder if that's the issue I've been having. I constantly roll to the right. I for the life of me can't get any kind of aileron trim working. Elevator trim works to the hat switch I applied it to but refuses to trim aileron unless the aircraft I'm in doesn't have it?

And unfortunately I don't get the fluid gameplay you get. My first time with COD and I get it modded up with TF patches and its barely playable over land. nope

Firstly, thanks for referring to it as AN ISSUE. As stated by Sokol1 the Spit and Hurri don't have aileron trim. Whether realistic or not, it is a complete PITA. And there appears to be no way to get rid of it.

I can't help with it not being fluid I'm afraid. TF have worked wonders with their patches, and a new install for me usually works without issue. Changing from windowed to fullscreen mode did once get rid of stutters for me. But I assume you've tried changing all the graphics settings, etc, already. IIRC, having mirrors on could also cause stutters.

[EDIT] I have a GTX580 with 3GB. I'm far from being an expert on CloD, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that having lots of VRAM could make a big difference in this sim.

Last edited by hippo; 04/24/14 09:24 AM.
#3943838 - 04/24/14 02:28 PM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: Coot]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
I wonder if that's the issue I've been having. I constantly roll to the right. I for the life of me can't get any kind of aileron trim working. Elevator trim works to the hat switch I applied it to but refuses to trim aileron unless the aircraft I'm in doesn't have it?

And unfortunately I don't get the fluid gameplay you get. My first time with COD and I get it modded up with TF patches and its barely playable over land. nope

Coot

What vRAM do you have on that Nvidia GTX570? Standard for those cards is about 1.3GB isn't it? If so, that will be your bottleneck, for sure. CoD even with TF mod is GFX vRAM hungry - I tell people the min is 1.5GB at low settings, 2GB at medium, and if you want high, you should preferrably have 3-4GB.

Your CPU and system RAM should be fine. Your card will still handle most other sims without a problem (DCS, RoF, BoS) but CoD eats vRAM.

Your CPU and system RAM are fine, so if you enjoy what you see of CoD, a modern card with at least 2GB RAM will cut it.

H

[Linked Image]
#3944108 - 04/24/14 08:46 PM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: hippo]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Quote:

You should fly the Sturmovik in il-2:Bo$ to see how to use joystick "realistically"...

Sorry for going even more off topic, but, please could you elaborate?

Look at the elevator: http://i58.tinypic.com/2sbpovm.jpg

Quote:
having mirrors on could also cause stutter

CloD (rear) mirrors are useless:

- They don't reflect the ground or sea - get fuzzy like a badly tuned TV.
- They don't reflect the rear quadrant, but one side...

Turn then off and delete the assigned command. smile

0,02$ - Enjoy CLoD is a compromise, one need accept a myriad of wrong things. Despite this, is (IMO) enjoyable.

Someone who has installed and uninstalled the game because they did not like, better forget.
TF work improved the game a lot, but don't changed his essence.

wink

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 04/24/14 09:01 PM.
#3944214 - 04/25/14 01:49 AM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: RacerGT]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

HeinKill, thank you for the detailed information. I do believe my video card memory is 1.3GB. Nvidia info says my dedicated video memory is 1280mb GDDR5. I believe that's 1.23 or so GB.

My little system has been the best pc I've ever had. An ibuypower build. I've only updated its ram and graphics card.

I must be out of the loop a bit. I thought my 1GB card was a monster. I suppose it is compared to what I bought with my pc initially. I guess I did not realize they had 3 and 4 gig video cards now. You say that you don't feel my processor and board would be a bottle neck. Would buying a 3gig card inadvertently cause them to become one with games or just simply be a more powerful improvement?

I wouldn't mind beefing up my card again as this pc has done right by me for four years. Never did my previous Dell purchase give me this much pc life.

#3944294 - 04/25/14 05:52 AM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: hippo]  
MattR Offline
MattR  Offline

Originally Posted By: hippo
I was wondering whether you had experienced the behaviour in the sim yourself, and your opinion of it. For me it is a fundamental flaw in the game - I'm guessing that for you it's not. I continue to be surprised by how little this bothers people. Clearly I have some strange variant form of flight model OCD.

I've flown the Hurricane quite a lot and it hasn't bothered me at all. But I have rudder pedals and it takes no effort for me to keep slight pressure on one pedal while climbing or accelerating. I tend not to try to counter torque with the ailerons - not a lot of planes have aileron trim, but most later-war planes have rudder trim at least, so I'm used to using rudders to trim out a slight rolling tendency.

You might want to try adjusting your joystick curves, also. It sounds like you might have non-linear settings, so that small movements from the center do little, with only larger joystick movements doing much. This could be why it takes a lot of effort for you to keep it from rolling.
Also, you might just have a heavy spring on your stick. Personally, I hate high spring force, so I usually just zip-tie some rings of the spring, that way I don't get fatigued if I do need to hold large movements on the joystick.

Hopefully that helps. I haven't flown the TF mod since 4.3 came out, so I'm not sure if the Hurricane was changed. I'll check it out soon. Do you have this problem with any other planes or just the Hurricane?

#3944314 - 04/25/14 08:30 AM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: Coot]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Would buying a 3gig card inadvertently cause them to become one with games or just simply be a more powerful improvement?

Almost no doubt it will help. Shouldn't cause bottlenecks to emerge elsewhere as you have plenty of system ram.

I understand how it is when you get a system that just works. I am now a die hard fan of ASUS gaming laptops for that reason. They are hellishly good, solid machines.

I can run CloD on low to med settings on my previous ASUS laptop (now belongs to one of my kids) which is G73JH-with Core i5, 2GB system RAM and Geforce 570 card with 1.5GB vRAM.

You can get a nice Geforce card with a couple GB ram for not much, and keep the rest of your system I would guess

H

[Linked Image]
#3944327 - 04/25/14 09:57 AM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: MattR]  
hippo Offline
hippo  Offline

London
Originally Posted By: MattR
I've flown the Hurricane quite a lot and it hasn't bothered me at all. But I have rudder pedals and it takes no effort for me to keep slight pressure on one pedal while climbing or accelerating. I tend not to try to counter torque with the ailerons - not a lot of planes have aileron trim, but most later-war planes have rudder trim at least, so I'm used to using rudders to trim out a slight rolling tendency.

You might want to try adjusting your joystick curves, also. It sounds like you might have non-linear settings, so that small movements from the center do little, with only larger joystick movements doing much. This could be why it takes a lot of effort for you to keep it from rolling.
Also, you might just have a heavy spring on your stick. Personally, I hate high spring force, so I usually just zip-tie some rings of the spring, that way I don't get fatigued if I do need to hold large movements on the joystick.

Hopefully that helps. I haven't flown the TF mod since 4.3 came out, so I'm not sure if the Hurricane was changed. I'll check it out soon. Do you have this problem with any other planes or just the Hurricane?

Thank you for your suggestions. I have a TM Cougar with hall sensors, custom gimbals and F16 simped pedals - which work perfectly for me in every other sim. I wish I could resolve this with hardware config changes, but I can't. Deflecting the joystick is not actually difficult in terms of force - I was exaggerating / attempting humour when I said it put my arm out - I really shouldn't have said that. It just appears that the only way to achieve s&l, balanced, flight on a constant heading, is to continually hold the joystick at deflection - this is just extremely inconvenient. I do realise this isn't an issue if you just want to jump into a dogfight - and I suspect this is what most people are doing.

I've only really spent much time in the spit an hurri and have the issue in both; I suspect it's not so much of an issue in the German aircraft (I've seen it in the 109, the effect is just not as strong).

Last edited by hippo; 04/25/14 09:58 AM.
#3944347 - 04/25/14 11:54 AM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: RacerGT]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

To buy or not to buy that is the question....I think it'll be worth it if i do.

#3944421 - 04/25/14 02:15 PM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: hippo]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: hippo
It just appears that the only way to achieve s&l, balanced, flight on a constant heading, is to continually hold the joystick at deflection - this is just extremely inconvenient.

RAF pilots of the time agreed with you...

[Linked Image]
#3944533 - 04/25/14 05:47 PM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: Stormtrooper]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
Originally Posted By: Stormtrooper
To buy or not to buy that is the question....I think it'll be worth it if i do.

My advice, buy!

#3944543 - 04/25/14 06:05 PM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: RacerGT]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Quote:
...to have a manually operated rudder bias

What is "rudder bias"? confused

Sokol1

#3944578 - 04/25/14 07:29 PM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: RacerGT]  
bolox Offline
bolox  Offline

rudder bias = trim

"There are two things that are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity. And I'm not even sure about the Universe." - Einstein
#3944670 - 04/26/14 12:09 AM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: RacerGT]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

control surface favoritism

If you don't actuate, you're not in the in-crowd.

#3944698 - 04/26/14 01:36 AM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: bolox]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Quote:
rudder bias = trim

confused confused But CloD Hurricane have this functional - and labeled with this name... duh biggrin

They are talking about early Hurricane models?

Sokol1

#3944962 - 04/26/14 07:41 PM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: HeinKill]  
hippo Offline
hippo  Offline

London
Originally Posted By: HeinKill
RAF pilots of the time agreed with you...

Thank you for posting that, very interesting.

"counteract the effect of engine torque pulling the aircraft to the LEFT"

#3946059 - 04/28/14 09:44 PM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: RacerGT]  
f15sim Offline
More projects than sense!
f15sim  Offline
More projects than sense!

Graham, WA
The First Rule of Flight Simulation:

"If you're not type-rated for the aircraft in question, you're not qualified to judge its performance."

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - the Me-109F/X Project
#3946131 - 04/29/14 12:21 AM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: hippo]  
mac495 Offline
mac495  Offline

Battlefield MO.
BTN H3D /I TRIM(JOYSTICK, 0)
/O /P LOCK(JOYSTICK, LASTVALUE) TRIM(JOYSTICK, TO_CURRENT) /R UNLOCK(JOYSTICK)

This will allow you to trim through foxy

#3946831 - 04/30/14 01:55 AM Re: Team Fusion Mod 4.31 Review [Re: RacerGT]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada
Hippo, you're not the only one. The Hurri is a pain in the butt to fly straight and level for any length of time. The Spit is a bit better, and the LW planes fly hands off, so it's not a joystick calibration issue, believe me, I've spent a lot of time screwing with stick settings to no avail.

Do me a favour, jump into a Hurri and take your hand of the jstick. Does the cockpit stick appear to be slightly right of neutral? Ailerons deflected? Now put your hand back on the physical jstick and push it left until the Hurri stops rolling right in the game. Check the cockpit stick and ailerons again, are they now neutral?

I've posted about this before, and can't believe everyone else is ok with this, I believe it's an issue with the Hurricane FM. Simply stated, when the user's joystick is neutral, the Hurri's virtual stick/ailerons aren't. In fact, the only time it flies straight is when you're climbing - high power, low airspeed, when in real life you'd need a bootful of rudder to keep it from torquing over to the LEFT.

Last edited by jocko-; 04/30/14 01:59 AM. Reason: Clarity

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.