Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3943315 - 04/23/14 02:14 PM Alive and Zeus  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
I am considering putting together an Alive mission (with Zeus to help with setting objectives, etc). I think that means that we would have to deploy Alive (@Alive) to the server and everyone would have to download the mod. Any objections to this? I will provide links and such if you guys think this is something you'd like to try.

Fridge
----------
Things which do you no good in aviation:
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
4) The airspeed you don't have.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3943325 - 04/23/14 02:35 PM Re: Alive and Zeus [Re: Fridge]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Something I'll check into for a future Saturday, sure.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3944399 - 04/25/14 01:52 PM Re: Alive and Zeus [Re: Fridge]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
Right now I am using these two mods:

Alive: Official Site bistudio forums
Arma3 Agressors: bistudio forums

I am trying to tweak the system to provide a good basis for a Zeus mission ... or maybe just a mission where we can act as part of a larger effort. It is proving interesting. Now, if only I could get it to stop spawning tanks...

Fridge
----------
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
#3944402 - 04/25/14 01:54 PM Re: Alive and Zeus [Re: Fridge]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
Another interesting aspect of Alive: The War Room (I think you have to register to see that page but a description can be found here).

Last edited by Fridge; 04/25/14 01:55 PM.

Fridge
----------
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
#3944422 - 04/25/14 02:15 PM Re: Alive and Zeus [Re: Fridge]  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
What is the advantage of ALiVE? I tested it briefly and found it to mostly be a unit spawning system suitable for dynamic, long-running gametypes, not for no-respawn co-op scenarios.

Taosenai, TMR Modular Realism Developer
"It is necessary to develop a strategy that utilizes all the physical conditions and elements that are directly at hand. The best strategy relies upon an unlimited set of responses."
-- Ueshiba Morihei
#3944494 - 04/25/14 04:19 PM Re: Alive and Zeus [Re: Fridge]  
Fridge Offline
Fridge  Offline

Fredericton, NB, Canada
I think it provides environment.

TL;DR: It provides a dynamic battlefield that Zeus can make use of (which is good and bad as it can help and/or get in the way). It provides support structures (CAS, Transport, Arty) on call. It provides AI to populate buildings in a town/city/military base and you don't know where they are. Provides civilians that 'do stuff'.

In my test mission, I have blufor moving to their objectives and opfor moving in the opposite direction. I have a bunch of rebels/insurgents holding the middle, being backed up by the opfor force moving south (from the north) which bluefor is trying to take that center section away.

Then I have a squad of 'playables' and their objective is ... whatever they want.

In one instance, I switched to Zeus and created an objective for them to take a town on the right edge of the map. I exited Zeus and had my AI team use the Alive support resources insert them into the hills S of the objective. We moved in to the town through the valley and cleared it from an Alive controlled occupation force (AI roaming force and AI populated buildings (random based on frequency settings) with civilians in the town. Then we extracted via the Alive support assets. The benefit here is Alive provided the support helo insertion and extraction, the unknown AI threat and the civilians. Zeus could have augmented that as necessary.

In a second instance, I switched to Zeus and created an objective in the center of the map - to take and defend a town. Using the Alive Support we inserted by helicopter into the hills to the east of the objective and proceeded to push into town. Blue forces pulled into the the objective from the east (they didn't know it was an objective other than Alive gave them one that happened to be in the same area as the player/zeus objective). Opfor entered from the NW. Things got really chaotic (which might be a minus) as AI fought AI and the player squad. I took some casualties and called for CAS (Helo) and extraction, had to pop smoke for the Alive support extraction helo to land and pull us out. I could have called in Alive artillery but no one would stay still...

In the first instance, because it was off to the side of the action, it was relatively controllable. In the second, I had no idea what was going to show up on either side and I ended up in the middle of a big fight.

I'm not sure it will add to what we are looking to do (I'm not sure what we are looking to do) or even be beneficial. For small, 20-30 minute missions, probably it only adds support. But it has the capability to add more for longer campaigns.

Fridge
----------
1) Altitude above you;
2) Runway behind you;
3) Fuel in the truck;
#3944829 - 04/26/14 11:44 AM Re: Alive and Zeus [Re: Fridge]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
The key with ALiVE is you don't always have to setup the modules in the area where you want to go. You can pick and choose which ones are active in your mission setup. I have tested it extensively and if you only want it to spawn a 100 person OPFOR company it will do that or it will spawn a 4 man OPFOR fire team based on what you tell it to do. It does work extremely well for limited engagements it just needs to be told what type of stuff you want it to do.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.