Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3942316 - 04/21/14 09:56 AM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Plainsman]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Americans are weird....

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3942321 - 04/21/14 10:35 AM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Plainsman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
My first name is "Adam" and I once had a lady from Costa Rica spell my name phonetically as "Harem".

Wtf?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3942326 - 04/21/14 11:01 AM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: kadiir]  
Billzilla Offline
Billzilla  Offline

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Originally Posted By: kadiir
Originally Posted By: ColJamesD
In the land of Oz, Thong means Sandals.

So if you say you are going to the beach and you don't want to forget your Thong, it doesn't mean G-String.

I was in Australia a couple of years ago and I emailed my friends in the U.S. and told them I was going to email them photos of me wearing a pair of Thongs.

LOL!

I assume that you're talking about the footware that is a flat soul with 2 straps that come up to hold it to one's foot that
terminate in between the big toe and the 2nd toe.

I'm a native Californian and I've heard it as flip flops, thongs, and zorries but rather rarely sandals.

They're jandels in New Zealand for some reason.
The skimpy underwear is called a g-string in Aus.

Out of ammo
Out of energy
Out of ideas
Down to harsh language
#3942327 - 04/21/14 11:05 AM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Plainsman]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Who cares, I don't. I like the 'accents'.

When I was in Austria, if I could just get my point across in the bar, I was happy......so was she.

Seems a lot of people are real picky now days wink has to be 'their' way.
Always has been a difference in how people pronounce words, even in this country from one region to another, and in England, from one place to another, doesn't even have to be another 'country'.

All the same.....'boring'.
I like 'accents'.

"Murphy's Law"
#3942339 - 04/21/14 12:05 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow
sa-moo-rye (rhymes with eye) is the correct way that japanese people pronounce the word

karaoke is ka-ra-oh-kay

pokemon is poh-kay-mawn

as for company names, the company and public at large determines how it should be pronounced in each region it's doing business in.

the entire world pronounces nikon incorrectly. (should be knee-kon. japanese company)

As Jayhawk said, I haven't heard a european pronuncing it any other way.

What peeves me off is hari kari. It's harakiri.

#3942346 - 04/21/14 12:20 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Remon]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Remon
Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow
sa-moo-rye (rhymes with eye) is the correct way that japanese people pronounce the word

karaoke is ka-ra-oh-kay

pokemon is poh-kay-mawn

as for company names, the company and public at large determines how it should be pronounced in each region it's doing business in.

the entire world pronounces nikon incorrectly. (should be knee-kon. japanese company)

As Jayhawk said, I haven't heard a european pronuncing it any other way.

What peeves me off is hari kari. It's harakiri.

It's enough to make you commit hari kari!

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3942355 - 04/21/14 12:52 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Plainsman]  
Nikko Offline
Nikko  Offline

Toulouse, France
should be seppuku of course!

Japanese company names sound almost correct in French, it seems it's more french phonetic than english phonetic translations.

Funny thing if you want a "Coke", you must order a "Coca" in France and a "Cola" in Germany.

#3942359 - 04/21/14 12:55 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Plainsman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Lol. "Coca" means something totally different in Miami. Think of the Colombian snow variety. wink

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3942371 - 04/21/14 01:08 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Plainsman]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I find "aluminum or aluminium" a good example of how small differences in language jump out at you. Heck, we and the UK even spell it differently.

So much depends on what you grew up with. So "aluminum" sounds natural and correct to my ear while "aluminium" sounds odd. My spell check even identifies "aluminium" as incorrect and wants to make it "aluminum".

I like the differences in national languages. It would be boring if the differences weren't there.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3942389 - 04/21/14 01:49 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Billzilla]  
kadiir Offline
kadiir  Offline

Originally Posted By: Billzilla
The skimpy underwear is called a g-string in Aus.

Here, too. We also have butt floss and for the men banana hammock among others.

Speaking of better sounding versions, I prefer the British version of avocado even if it more wrong than the US version smile

#3942391 - 04/21/14 02:00 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: kadiir]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
[quote=Billzilla] for the men banana hammock among others.

***SHUDDER***

#3942406 - 04/21/14 02:33 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Plainsman]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
Nike is still Ni-Key not Nike as in bike. We've got to get this correct, people. World peace hangs in the balance!

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3942471 - 04/21/14 04:20 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Mace71]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Originally Posted By: bonchie
I get stuff like that a lot traveling.

My name is Anthonynot Antonio. Yet, when I'm in latin countries they call me that. My first name is George. Not "Hor-hey."

Since we don't generally do that in America, it's always seemed weird to me. Juan in America is still Juan. We don't just assume to change it to John.

You have 2 names?

You don't? First/Middle.

#3942495 - 04/21/14 04:51 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Plainsman]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It's not people saying a word wrong that bothers me. It's when they say it wrong but insist it's correct that does.

For example, most Americans don't say foreign words correctly, but few pretend to understand. They say it wrong, if someone corrects them they shrug, and either correct themselves or continue saying it wrong because it's "easier."

Very rarely do you see an American telling an Asian "no, you're saying it wrong!!" when they say "pokemon" and tell them "you say it like THIS."

Of course, English itself is fairly unique among languages in that you can totally mangle the pronunciation of almost every word and yet still be understood, although nuances can be lost. I don't mind accents much at all.

What I DO mind are substitutions that make them unintelligible. If you're using a word that I expect to mean something else, and I get it wrong because you assumed everyone knew that "in MY country we call those chips, not fries", THAT is maddening.

There was an episode of the New Twilight Zone in the 80s IIRC that had a grammar nazi get transported into an alternate world where everyone still spoke English, but definitions were scrambled. So instead of "lunch", the midday meal was "dinosaur". When he said to his wife, "don't you mean lunch?" she stared at him baffled and said "why would anyone eat lunch? It's just dinosaur."

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3943229 - 04/23/14 09:52 AM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Mace71]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
It is Nike here and always was Nike until some years back people started calling it Ni-kee. I will continue to say it correctly as Nike smile

(pronounced "Li-Kee")

Of course the Greek Νίκη (meaning 'Victory') is pronounced 'Nee-keh')

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#3943231 - 04/23/14 10:28 AM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Plainsman]  
pcriddle Offline
pcriddle  Offline

Newark, Notts. UK
The funniest thing I've heard is a Scots man trying to say "Purple Burglar alarm"

find one and get him to say it hahaha

If you want sympathy look it up, its between sex and syphilis
#3943283 - 04/23/14 01:23 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: pcriddle]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: pcriddle
The funniest thing I've heard is a Scots man trying to say "Purple Burglar alarm"

find one and get him to say it hahaha

I keep trying to imagine that, saying it to myself over and over.....lol....
Can't even imagine how a 'REAL' Scots would pronounce it!

I REALLY like the idea of English accents, even in England they're are several variations.
How boring it would be, if we all spoke exactly the same.
For a 'life time', I'll always remember that girl from England, listening to her, was like music...... smile

"Murphy's Law"
#3943287 - 04/23/14 01:28 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Jedi Master]  
kadiir Offline
kadiir  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
It's not people saying a word wrong that bothers me. It's when they say it wrong but insist it's correct that does.

I was in an Italian restaurant one time and asked for pollo (pronounced like Marco Polo) and and the waitress corrected me that it was pronounced the Spanish way (like poyo).

#3943292 - 04/23/14 01:39 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: kadiir]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

I was in an Italian restaurant one time and asked for pollo (pronounced like Marco Polo) and and the waitress corrected me that it was pronounced the Spanish way (like poyo).
That doesn't surprise me since you live in California. I think California has more Spanish speakers than even Florida.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/23/14 01:40 PM.

#3943329 - 04/23/14 02:43 PM Re: Funny How People in Other Countries Pronounce Names [Re: Plainsman]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
As CA's population is much greater, that's not surprising at all.

Now if there were more Spanish speakers in Rhode Island than Florida, THAT would be amazing.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.