Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3941944 - 04/20/14 08:08 AM Above the clouds of Stalingrad  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

Today we got the task of providing a little lunch time interuption for one of the German units still trapped at the Stalingrad main trainstation. Ordnance for today are rockets and the weather is overcast with a slight wind from the south east. The cloud cover over the target is broken so there should be clear patches to dive through.

Lights on, flaps to 30 degrees, radiators open, a burst of power and down the taxiway we go. Coming up is the scariest moment for the Pe-2 pilot, the gentle ground turn. Easy on the rudder, give the brake lever a few light presses and wait for the turn to start. Just as the turn starts, turn back a little and give the brakes a few more presses. It's like steering a ship.

Turning onto the runway. Takes some practice to get good at the 90 degree turn. It's easy when you are alone, but with a four ship, you don't want to be swinging around too much.

Full power and as the speed builds, get the tail up a little and then the Pe-2 will lift by itself. Plenty of lift in that wing and only a moderate amount of flaps needed. Gear is up, and we are climbing and building up speed.

The overcast is not complete so the sun is shining through here and there. Flaps are fully up and sunglasses are on.

Speed is now good so I dial back the power a little and settle into a gentle climb and turn. Clouds whisks past the canopy and with half the instruments not working I'll have to monitor climb, speed and the shadows to make sure I'm going up.

Quick look up and I see blue sky, that is a good sign.

After a minute or so we finally break through the clouds and warm sunshine fills the cockpit.

Looking at the pretty clouds makes me forget the instruments and a shudder from the stick brings me back to reality. There was a little hill of clouds in front of us and I have been increasing my climbrate and now we are almost stalling. All levers to full, max RPM, mixture and power and level off a little. The stick vibration stops and the speed increases. Temps look good of so I decide to build up some proper speed before backing off the power again.

Finally we have some good altitude and we can go back to enjoying the view.

In the back our radio operator starts giving reports on visibility through the cloud cover. We'd rather not dive blindly through the clouds over Stalingrad.

The view from the bombardier. Plenty of FOV when running 3600x1920 resolution.

Stalingrad is visible through the clouds and we start the turn.

Diving through the clouds trying to spot the train station.

After this I forgot that the level autopilot does not control the power so while gunning from the back we stalled and hit the ground in a massive fireball. Still a good day out with the new build. Improved clouds, improved interior texturing of the Pe-2 and some other fixes makes this release a good improvement.

-C-

Last edited by Charlie_SB; 04/20/14 08:15 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3941949 - 04/20/14 08:44 AM Re: Above the clouds of Stalingrad [Re: Charlie_SB]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Fantastic screenshots!

What a beautiful sim.

yep

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3941965 - 04/20/14 10:03 AM Re: Above the clouds of Stalingrad [Re: Charlie_SB]  
Antares Offline
Antares  Offline

99 Decision St
I glanced at this one and it took two or three seconds to figure out the landscape outside the cockpit isn't real. It's the shadows on the little stands of trees that does it.

BoS is shaping up to be a masterpiece and you've done a fab job of capturing that!

Cheers cheers

R

Quote:
So the Thunderhawk would come screaming out of the sky at mach ohmygod! and as soon as the struts hit the ground they would rip off.

Quote:
You're trying to apply scientific principles to 40k. Do you not see the problem with that?
#3941972 - 04/20/14 10:21 AM Re: Above the clouds of Stalingrad [Re: Charlie_SB]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Absolutely beautiful smile

#3942008 - 04/20/14 01:48 PM Re: Above the clouds of Stalingrad [Re: Charlie_SB]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Lovely.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#3942056 - 04/20/14 04:08 PM Re: Above the clouds of Stalingrad [Re: Charlie_SB]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

Glad you liked them! It's a fantastic flight simulation. The more I fly the Pe-2, the more I start to wonder if the pilot sat on a helmet during the attacks. There is an armour plate behind his head but under his feet and legs there is nothing but glass. They must have had brass ones for real.

-C-

#3942197 - 04/21/14 01:24 AM Re: Above the clouds of Stalingrad [Re: Charlie_SB]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
What's performance like in this puppy? Is it safe to say if you can run ROF decently this one will run too?

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#3942297 - 04/21/14 08:01 AM Re: Above the clouds of Stalingrad [Re: ]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

Originally Posted By: Coot
What's performance like in this puppy? Is it safe to say if you can run ROF decently this one will run too?

I'd say so yes. It is a little bit difficult to make a direct comparison since in BOS (for now) you only select low, medium, high or ultra and then you're done. In ROF you can tweak all the parameters yourself. I get about 30 FPS on ultra setting in 3600x1920 right now. In multiplayer on a full server I get much less than that. Dialling it down a bit to high and I get ok framerates again. Then again this is a an early version and there should be improvements later on.

Originally Posted By: Troll

How does she turn on differential power?

Very sensitive, as soon as that tail starts swinging you go around like a ballerina. With a bit of patience and very small throttle inputs I'd say it's doable, especially if you parry with the brakes. It's fun practicing though and the terrain is very forgiving as you don't end up stuck in the snow if you go off the very narrow taxi ways.

-C-

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.