Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3941945 - 04/20/14 08:22 AM Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused  
Happyflier Offline
Happyflier  Offline

Essex
I still wake up in the night shuddering at the though of the Falcon 4 dance from many years ago - install this, then that, then the other, and if you get it wrong start again.

So while I love the look of Ankor's shadowing mod, and from screen shots no doubt I love some of the other mods out there (but don't know what they are) there are two reasons I haven't installed any:

- with the fantastic support from the devs, and high rate of patches (dealing with issues I wasn't even aware existed) I am worried that modding up will cause an issue when I patch up. And I really want to avoid he F4 style of dance! Or instability etc
- and the lazy issue - if I wait long enough it will come within one of the patches! But I think I have waited long enough now and ought to put some effort in myself...

On the first point, is there reason to be nervous, or have the patches just gone smoothly on top without the need to reinstall mods?

And I'd always appreciate any wisdom on which mods to install - those that add most to the immersion...

#3941957 - 04/20/14 09:14 AM Re: Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused [Re: Happyflier]  
AnKor Offline
AnKor  Offline

Russia
Hi!

The directx mod doesn't really modify or replace any game files and it isn't tied to any particular version of the game. That's why there should be no conflicts with future patches and no need to reinstall the mod. By the way I recently provided an installer which takes care of placing required files in the correct location, removes the necessity to edit the ini file, and allows to uninstall the mod via Windows Control Panel. As easy as it can be.

While including my mod with the game it is the plan the mod is still under development and I'm looking into adding new features. Perhaps it can be released as is, but it will make future improvements slightly harder to manage.

#3941961 - 04/20/14 09:36 AM Re: Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused [Re: Happyflier]  
Happyflier Offline
Happyflier  Offline

Essex
Thanks a lot! Really appreciated, I'll give it a go...

#3941963 - 04/20/14 09:55 AM Re: Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused [Re: Happyflier]  
Happyflier Offline
Happyflier  Offline

Essex
Done! That was easy, I shouldn't have been so worried...!

Again, many thanks for the mod, looks great.

#3941991 - 04/20/14 12:03 PM Re: Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused [Re: Happyflier]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Happyflier

Again, many thanks for the mod, looks great.

HappyF;

I would like to recommend the installation of JSGME This tool is on the official WOFF web site in the mod download section.

This tool when implemented will allow you to swap in or out, any JSGME ready mods with one click. You don't have to keep track of what files are in what folder, or which ones were changed should you ever want to go back to the vanilla game.

You can PM me if you have any questions.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#3942010 - 04/20/14 01:56 PM Re: Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused [Re: Happyflier]  
Wayfarer Offline
Wayfarer  Offline

Near Birmingham U.K.

I know what you mean about feeling worried.
I finally installed Ankor's mod, and Aris Fuser's cloud mod, via JSGME last week. It really was simple and they work fine even on my modest rig. Although I was sceptical, it seems Ankor's mod has actually improved my FPS as well. I really would recommend it to other people, even if it does make you feel a bit nervous.

Last edited by Wayfarer; 04/20/14 01:58 PM.
#3942064 - 04/20/14 04:23 PM Re: Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused [Re: Happyflier]  
Nowi Offline
Nowi  Offline

Florida
I would second the advice to use JSGME. It makes use of mods--installation and uninstallation--a breeze.

Nevertheless, I would add that at least on my rig I have to re-install WOFF about every fortnight. I'll play for a while then I start getting dumped out of the CFS3 program in the middle of a dogfight and back into the WOFF front end. Once that starts happening, it keeps getting worse and becomes impossible to complete a mission from takeoff to landing.

The only way I've been able to fix the problem is to uninstall the mods, backup my pilot and set up files, and then reinstall.

Nowi
#3942070 - 04/20/14 04:40 PM Re: Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused [Re: Nowi]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Nowi
I would second the advice to use JSGME. It makes use of mods--installation and uninstallation--a breeze.

Nevertheless, I would add that at least on my rig I have to re-install WOFF about every fortnight. I'll play for a while then I start getting dumped out of the CFS3 program in the middle of a dogfight and back into the WOFF front end. Once that starts happening, it keeps getting worse and becomes impossible to complete a mission from takeoff to landing.

The only way I've been able to fix the problem is to uninstall the mods, backup my pilot and set up files, and then reinstall.

Nowi;

Have you tried to isolate whether a specific mod is the cause. Like leave half of them out and then if it happens again cut it by half again and so on?
Does it also happen without any mods in and if so have you sent any logs to the devs on this?

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#3942073 - 04/20/14 04:53 PM Re: Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused [Re: Happyflier]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Glad you got Ankor's ,mod working ... its a beauty!

And I'd always appreciate any wisdom on which mods to install - those that add most to the immersion...

You can have a look at my 'WOFF News' mod, Happyflier. Its pretty simple to install and also isn't bothered by adding new patches. The mod is just some text and photo files that add more daily newspaper articles to your campaign.

77Scout

#3942100 - 04/20/14 06:50 PM Re: Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused [Re: Happyflier]  
Happyflier Offline
Happyflier  Offline

Essex
Thanks - looks like JSGME, cloud mod and the news are on their way into my install!

#3942152 - 04/20/14 10:34 PM Re: Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused [Re: Happyflier]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

I've been using AnKor's DX Mod, ArisFuser's Cloud Mod, and Happyflier's News Mod.

Having used JSGME for a long time now, I activated them all with that even though I'll always use those mods with WOFF from now on. The advantage there is that I can deactivate and delete any of them from when it gets updated and make sure all the files are replaced with the new ones. Or in case a bug pops up that causes compatibility issues with other mods, it's just a one-click deactivation until a new one is released.

But if you're a "lazy modder" as you say, then you're probably fine just dropping these straight in and overwriting the old/original files. AnKor's DX mod doesn't replace any, and they've been bug-free for me thus far. I had to reinstall the game once awhile back, however, and would like to avoid that so the JSGME install ensures I can replace the orignal files at the click of a button.

Just to be sure, I suggest you back up your saved keymap settings either way you go. You can find them in \*UserName*\AppData\Roaming\OBD_Games\OBD_WW1 Over Flanders Fields\ - the file is named WOFFkeys.xca. Would save a lot of time remapping and readjusting my joystick sensitivity & keys if I did have to reinstall.

Last edited by Nefaro; 04/20/14 10:34 PM.

(For Tech Reference)
i7-4770k Intel Processor @3.5Ghz, 16GB System RAM, GTX760 2GB video, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD (with Win7-64 on it).
#3942170 - 04/20/14 11:54 PM Re: Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Nowi Offline
Nowi  Offline

Florida
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Nowi;

Have you tried to isolate whether a specific mod is the cause. Like leave half of them out and then if it happens again cut it by half again and so on?
Does it also happen without any mods in and if so have you sent any logs to the devs on this?

It's been a problem since Day One, with or without mods.

One thing I am sure corrupts my install is looking around with the "J" key. That will work fine for awhile but then I'll get kicked back into WOFF. Once that happens it's all downhill and I need to reinstall.

Another problem I had was using FRAPS with SweetFx. No go on my machine.

Nowi
#3942920 - 04/22/14 03:44 PM Re: Help for someone who is lazy and easily confused [Re: Nowi]  
Al Lowe Offline
Sgt. in charge of the booze
Al Lowe  Offline
Sgt. in charge of the booze

Mason, MI USA
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Nowi;

It's been a problem since Day One, with or without mods.

One thing I am sure corrupts my install is looking around with the "J" key. That will work fine for awhile but then I'll get kicked back into WOFF. Once that happens it's all downhill and I need to reinstall.

Another problem I had was using FRAPS with SweetFx. No go on my machine.
You might want to look at Playclaw. I went to that when I started experiencing serious frame rate drops with Fraps.

Al Lowe
http://www.billybishop.net
http://www.redbaron3d.net/
Current System:
Windows 10
MSI 760GM-E51 mainboard with
AMD FX-8350 8 core processor running at 4.2 GHZ
16GB of DDR3 RAM @ 800 MHZ
AMD Radeon R9 285 GPU w 2GB of GDDR5 RAM @ 1375mhz

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM