Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Cool slideshow Here.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3941510 - 04/19/14 02:31 AM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Happy 60th Stratocaster! cheers

Virtuosos like Yngwie Malmsteen, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Robert Cray and John Mayer aside, I’ve always wanted a Strat because of this guy! ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqY7CdpSjac
(warning ... EVH seems quite drunk in this demo smile )

... and on the Seventh day, Eddie created the Frankenstrat! biggrin

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
The Frankenstrat represented Van Halen's attempt to combine the sound of a classic Gibson guitar with the physical attributes of a Fender. It was originally made from an ash Stratocaster body, with pickup routing that Eddie altered to fit a Gibson PAF humbucking bridge pickup. It had a maple neck and fretboard, and chrome hardware. It developed through several early paint schemes ultimately into the now infamous combination of red, with black and white stripes. It is a six-string guitar with a Floyd Rose tremolo.

#3941529 - 04/19/14 04:13 AM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
This reminds of a Les Paul performance I was watching on Youtube recently. I can't remember who the guitarist was but Les invites him up to play some tunes grabs Les' Les, and asks "which one of these knobs makes it sound like a strat"! So many great guitars have their own unique tone and lend themselves to different styles musically or just playing in general. My custom Ibanez is a shredder type of guitar, now if only I could shred!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3941552 - 04/19/14 07:14 AM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I have owned a couple of Les Paul's (a 58 was one which I sold (and bought) for WAY too cheap, the other was a 67 sunburst). Loved the sound, but so hard to tune right with all those freakin ass end screw adjustments.

Les Dudek tried to show me how "easy" it was once...maybe to him.

Strats always sounded "tinny" to me when I was playing. Had one of those long necked SG's I really liked too, great guitar. I liked telecasters better than strats.

Glory Daze.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3941629 - 04/19/14 02:07 PM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Originally Posted By: Nixer
I have owned a couple of Les Paul's (a 58 was one which I sold (and bought) for WAY too cheap, the other was a 67 sunburst). Loved the sound, but so hard to tune right with all those freakin ass end screw adjustments.

Les Dudek tried to show me how "easy" it was once...maybe to him.

Strats always sounded "tinny" to me when I was playing. Had one of those long necked SG's I really liked too, great guitar. I liked telecasters better than strats.

Glory Daze.

I love guitar talk. And Les Dudek, very cool Nixer!

#3941701 - 04/19/14 05:36 PM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
There were no Les Pauls built in 1967 so it must have been something else. A '58 is the penultimate Holy Grail of Les Pauls.

I have a couple LPs and several Strats. Love both, but I do prefer the shorter scale of the LP. But there is no doubt that the Strat is more versatile. But as I said I love both and couldn't imagine not having both to choose from depending on the song, tone chase or mood I might be in.

The bridge/tailpiece you're referring to is the Tune-O-Matic. This set the intonation. I actually like the Tune-O-Matic smile

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#3941703 - 04/19/14 05:42 PM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: DBond]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Quote:
no Les Pauls built in 1967

Hmmm, well I sold it in 1975...long time ago. Maybe a 68 or 69. Lot of water under the bridge.

Used to be the 56 was more desired than the 58 as far as I remember.

Looked at prices a few years back and almost threw up. I found the late 60's one in a Pawn Shop in Alabama in 1970 I think. I paid less than $200 for it, not sure exactly how much.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3941727 - 04/19/14 07:05 PM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Nowadays, the '59 is generally considered the most desirable. The '58 is next. But of course it depends on the player. Some people like soapbars, some PAF's, some like a fat neck like on the '58 or a smaller profile like on the '59, or the slimline on a '60. But based on sales, the '59 is easily the most valuable. A '59 Burst is incredibly valuable.

'59s include Billy Gibbon's "Pearly Gates" and Jimmy Page's Number 1 and Number 2. Jeff Beck in his Yardbird days. Duane Allman. Mike Bloomfield. Peter Green. Gary Rossington and the list goes on.

But this is a Strat thread innit?

#3941858 - 04/20/14 01:34 AM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
OK guys, I'm just reading the thread.
I've probably heard the music, if it played in ANY bar.
I've seen lots of "Fender" guitars, they were common back in my day.
But I know nothing of guitars, I am familiar with "Money".

So, tell me DBond....how much do you think that guitar Nixer sold, is worth today....just a 'guess'.

biggrin

"Murphy's Law"
#3941868 - 04/20/14 02:08 AM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Murphy]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Murphy dammit, I hadn't looked in years.

The REAL (not reissue)58 is not for sale anywhere, and the only thing I can find is a 2006 question on some forum where I guy asks what it's worth. The answer is "guard it with your life, at LEAST 6 figures".

cuss

cuss2

Last time I looked quite a few years ago I saw one for sale for like $25k and went WOW!

I bought it in 1970 (I think...was a fun period in my life winkngrin ) for "cash value" of about $800 from a guy with a "problem". Sold it in 1975 for almost 3k and thought I had made a great deal.

cuss

cuss2

goodnight

Don't even make start me looking for what my 69 (? I think) Hummingbird, a couple of Gretsch's and a complete, with extras, assortment of BLOND Fender amps is worth.

Seriously though, 1975 was a big life changer time for me. I had spent the past 7 yrs or so living very "dangerously" Barreta was talkin to ME with his theme song. Sold all my "assets" got married and joined the Army (of my own free will btw).

Shoulda just kept the 58 I guess. pitchafit

Last edited by Nixer; 04/20/14 02:20 AM. Reason: Trying not to throw stuff

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3942005 - 04/20/14 01:19 PM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Murphy]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted By: Murphy

So, tell me DBond....how much do you think that guitar Nixer sold, is worth today....just a 'guess'.

biggrin

Well there are many factors that will determine value. And the bottom line is it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it but... assuming it was a Les Paul Standard and not a Junior, I'd put the value of a '58 between $125,000 and $200,000 with Sunburst models fetching more than Goldtops. A buyer would want to see the original case, no neck breaks, original finish, electronics, hardware and pickups. A '58 would have had PAF (Patent Applied For) pickups, which are also very valuable and quite rare these days.

The neck profile on '58s tended to be more beefy and rounder than later Gibson profiles. The '58 neck wasn't much different than the neck profile that was on the early Fender Broadcasters and Telecasters, but neck profiles would trend toward slimmer, less rounded shapes in the following years. Personally I find these early profiles less comfortable than later ones which sort of shifted from a 'U' shape toward more of a "D" or "C" shape. The difference in profile between a '58 LP and a '60 LP is striking.

Strats and Telecasters went through the same sort of 'shape-shift' in neck profiles through this era, so a say, '57 Strat would have a larger neck than say a '62. Fender also began offering fingerboards in rosewood in the early '60's, when they were maple at the beginning.

It's interesting regarding the Les Paul that they did not sell that well. As we mentioned there was no 1967 Les Paul because Gibson discontinued the model in 1960 due to poor sales and introduced the SG in it's place. But they fired up production again in 1968 after the demand grew due to the Les Paul being played by so many popular guitarists including those in the list in my previous post. Sadly, the quality of these late 60's and 70's LPs wasn't great. They were made in a different factory, tended to be very heavy and just weren't that good, but of course that doesn't mean some fine guitars weren't produced, but overall, the 'Norlin Era' isn't highly regarded. New ownership changed the design and the Norlin Les Pauls saw 3-piece maple necks instead of one-piece mahogany and 'pancake' bodies, which were essentially laminated mahogany/maple construction instead of the traditional one-piece mahogany with maple cap.

#3942019 - 04/20/14 02:51 PM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Despite my obvious love for Les Pauls and Gibson guitars in general, I also love Fenders. My first electric was a '76 Strat and a Silverface Fender Champ amp. I still have that Strat but sadly I traded the Champ in on a Peavey Bandit 65 because it had so many knobs and buttons and had a speaker called a Black Widow and I just had to have it. But now I would love to have that Champ back. What an amazing little tone monster that thing was.

The Stratocaster is one of the true iconic American designs. It was so innovative and it's virtually impossible to find fault with it. The contoured body is much more comfortable to play than a Tele or Les Paul, the floating 'tremolo', which is actually a vibrato of course, was revolutionary. The straight string pull resulting from the inline tuner key design helps keep it in tune. The pickup selector and 3-pickup design allowed for a greater tonal range including the famous 'out of phase' sound you can get from putting the pickup selector in between positions. Think of Sultans of Swing for example. Interestingly, the 'out of phase' sound is actually two pickups in phase, but we won't let semantics get in the way of good guitar talk lol.

It's so perfectly designed and it's why it remains largely the same as it was 60 years ago, design missteps of the '70s notwithstanding. To me it's like the Jeep, or the P-51 Mustang. Perfectly designed for it's intended application. Leo Fender was way ahead of his time.

#3942023 - 04/20/14 03:11 PM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
This is a great price on the strat

Lots of greats give their stories.

#3942075 - 04/20/14 05:18 PM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
I have owned a number of guitars over the decades. Of the electrics my two favourites were a 1971 Hagstrom II which I still kick myself for selling and the early 80s Korean Strat that I still have.

I agree that the standard Strat does not have as 'meaty' a tone as an LP , but its a matter of the sort of music you play and your personal taste. I used to play a lot of gospel, country and blues. For me the strat fitted those styles to a tee smile

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#3942079 - 04/20/14 05:36 PM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
Ltfransky Offline
Sith Lord
Ltfransky  Offline
Sith Lord

Peterborough, ON, Canada
I have a 2000 American Strat Standard (and a 50th Anniversary Blues Junior). It's a great guitar. But you really have to work at it to get a good tone. It's more sensitive to technique than other guitars I have played. A Les Paul can be hammered and still give a good sound. Also, Gibsons are way overpriced in todays market. Granted, a guitar with provinence is worth big dollars, but a new Les Paul Standard is $3000 Cdn. That is nuts.

But, back to the topic at hand, Happy Birthday Stratocaster.

Please Heatware Me!

Ours is not to reason why. Ours is to do or die.
Tennyson

I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..
Gillespie Magee, RCAF
#3942112 - 04/20/14 07:19 PM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
A guitar mate of many decades standing bought what he thought was a Tokai Strat with a Fender Strat neck about twenty years ago. That's what the dealer told him and duly handed it over for £260.

I was puzzled by a few things when he stripped it down for a re-spray (the body had already, previously been re-sprayed at some point) such as the pot numbers, routing and that woven, pre-CBS style of wiring. It turned out that the plate dated it at 1957 and it was all genuine - not a trace of Tokai or any other upgrade replacements apart from the re-spray. This was confirmed by an American guitar guru when his daughter took it back with her to London to be checked. The original colour had been Dakota Red, then Fiesta Red, white and now black. He's looking to put it back to the original colour. I have advised him to get it done by someone who knows what he is doing and not some bloke who paints doors and window frames.

The musical instruments dealer went bust in 1999. I just can't understand how he could have made such a dreadful blunder.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#3942139 - 04/20/14 09:51 PM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That was a cool vid Tarnsman, thanks for the link.

#3942182 - 04/21/14 12:45 AM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
When I was about 18-21 years old, 'Fender' guitars were about as common as Volkswagens. Seemed like every other person I knew had one. Even they guys who couldn't play well.......

Now, they'd buy a nice home with one.....lol.....

I guess one never knows.
Should of bought a few, instead of 'investing' in a mutual fund. rolleyes

"Murphy's Law"
#3942496 - 04/21/14 04:51 PM Re: Fender Strat turns 60 [Re: Nixer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yep, a $900 investment in Les Pauls in 1959 would net you about $2 million today.

Hell I paid $300 for my '76 Strat and it would probably fetch $2500.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.