Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3941151 - 04/18/14 02:37 PM Hard as it is...  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Hard as it is in WOFF with full realistic settings, I'm quite happy and proud about the first
9 victories of my first halfways realistic WOFF pilot.
I wonder how long I can continue, before the 'Grim Reaper' comes at me.

Recently I looked into the after-flight chalk board notes more, and I mostly saw our complete
flight had been shot down, crashlanded, or was injured.
At that level, Jasta 17 wouldn't have existed very long.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3941160 - 04/18/14 02:45 PM Re: Hard as it is... [Re: Olham]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

I recently got my 11th kill confirmed in my DV/Pfalz DIIIa campaign, in Feb 1918. I began to think I might be able to break my previous campaign record of 16 kills before dying.

Alas, it was not so. A simple ballon protection patrol quickly ended his career after two successive British flights dove into the attack on my small group. At the end, I had three on my tail and one or two more swirling about above me.

eek2

(For Tech Reference)
i7-4770k Intel Processor @3.5Ghz, 16GB System RAM, GTX760 2GB video, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD (with Win7-64 on it).
#3941165 - 04/18/14 02:49 PM Re: Hard as it is... [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Yeah, it can get tough...!
I am now looking at the flight time much more than on the number of kills.
To survive a long time is much harder than collecting victories.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3941183 - 04/18/14 03:06 PM Re: Hard as it is... [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

You have an excellent run going there Olham, keep it going Sir. It is indeed hard to survive a long time and I tend to approach it as you do, looking at hours rather than victories. Best of luck.

Nefaro, I can tell you from countless hours of battling in OFF and now a fair number in WOFF as well that, given the situation you described, your odds would have improved exponentially had you dragged your attackers down to ground level and continued the battle there. WOFF AI suffers nearly the same as OFF AI did when it comes to low level fights. They don't like it.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#3941189 - 04/18/14 03:11 PM Re: Hard as it is... [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Nefaro, I can tell you from countless hours of battling in OFF and now a fair number in WOFF as well that, given the situation you described, your odds would have improved exponentially had you dragged your attackers down to ground level and continued the battle there. WOFF AI suffers nearly the same as OFF AI did when it comes to low level fights. They don't like it.

I've started doing that lately, as it does extend my life expectancy. I've also found that if you can put a few bullets into each one, many of them will break off and run for home thus cutting down on your immediate opponents. Even more reason to constantly switch targets when outnumbered.

In that pilot's final scrap, he didn't last long enough to get down low unfortunately. The battle started up quite high and they were all over me before I knew it. Probably got too fixated on the first flight and the second one bounced me for the finish. Good stuff!

Last edited by Nefaro; 04/18/14 03:11 PM.

(For Tech Reference)
i7-4770k Intel Processor @3.5Ghz, 16GB System RAM, GTX760 2GB video, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD (with Win7-64 on it).
#3941225 - 04/18/14 04:46 PM Re: Hard as it is... [Re: Nefaro]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: Nefaro

I've started doing that lately, as it does extend my life expectancy. I've also found that if you can put a few bullets into each one, many of them will break off and run for home thus cutting down on your immediate opponents. Even more reason to constantly switch targets when outnumbered.

In that pilot's final scrap, he didn't last long enough to get down low unfortunately. The battle started up quite high and they were all over me before I knew it. Probably got too fixated on the first flight and the second one bounced me for the finish. Good stuff!

Yep, getting in a few bursts on 2 or 3 sure helps your odd. The bad thing about trying to bring one down when you are totally outnumbered is you can use half your ammo on one plane and you have only cut the odds by 1. Using your approach, assuming your marksmanship is good enough, you can cut the odds considerable in short order, then if they all break and run you may be able to take down a straggler or that stubborn SOB that will just not let go before high tailing it home. BTW. If you have ever seen a startled horse run you will know where "hightailing" it comes from.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#3941387 - 04/18/14 08:42 PM Re: Hard as it is... [Re: MFair]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Originally Posted By: MFair
Originally Posted By: Nefaro

Yep, getting in a few bursts on 2 or 3 sure helps your odd. The bad thing about trying to bring one down when you are totally outnumbered is you can use half your ammo on one plane and you have only cut the odds by 1. Using your approach, assuming your marksmanship is good enough, you can cut the odds considerable in short order, then if they all break and run you may be able to take down a straggler or that stubborn SOB that will just not let go before high tailing it home.

Exactly. I've saved my pilot numerous times before, when outnumbered in a dogfight, by giving one a quick burst or two and switching to the next one coming up on my tail. Fairly often the one I put a few bullets into will peel off and head for home when I start turning towards another. A quick whiff of lead can persuade them to let go, but not all of them. The historical aces are often damned tenacious and not so easily dissuaded without long & steady "attention". Just make sure those killers don't get behind you for any period of time while in such a predicament! The aces of the group are often the ones who deal me a killing blow if I lose track of them for too long in the mess.

EDIT: I still use the TAC whilst flying, albeit limited to 4km range. It's mainly for keeping SA while on Autopilot and saving a pinched nerve in my neck when scanning the sky. No labels and only dots at moderate ranges (a further 4 to 5km past the TAC range). I'd like to cut out the TAC more often but the AI pilots' vision is so good, and my ability to pick out planes in WOFF so poor, that I'd rarely see them until they were shooting at me. I stopped using Padlock and all the gauges & extra indicators awhile back so it's a start.

Quote:
BTW. If you have ever seen a startled horse run you will know where "hightailing" it comes from.

LOL! I certainly have seen it.

Last edited by Nefaro; 04/18/14 08:49 PM.

(For Tech Reference)

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans