Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 437 of 608 1 2 435 436 437 438 439 607 608
#3880664 - 12/20/13 03:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Absolutely do. And please include my best chwismas wishes! biggrin

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3891323 - 01/07/14 09:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
I have to report that there has been nothing from our Chief Scribe over the festive period. nope

I have a dream. From the south-west comes the familiar sound of Merlins accompanied by glinting reflections from a setting sun. The tiles of the Prince and Polecat vibrate and windows rattle alarmingly as the purveyor of perfect prose and literary excellence sweeps majestically into view, twinned inseparably with his faithful wingman, our glorious founder.

Dux wipes away another tear and pours the last of his Hardy's Chardonnay birthday gift into a fine, 18th century lead crystal wine glass which he absent-mindedly packed when leaving Claridge's hotel, sometime in 1938.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#3892677 - 01/09/14 08:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
I'll drink to that dream Dux, and offer you a piece of the towel I once liberated from Raffles. No, its all-right Dux, really, no need to protest. My best possessions are yours, to wipe your nose in. Besides, the towel is so old and tattered, that I doubt it will survive for much longer anyway. Wash and iron before returning, will you?

It is hard to understand the fullness of the evil forces of capitalism at work, that are holding our dear brother-in-forum captive to the extent that he is unable to communicate with us, even at irregular intervals. Never far from my thoughts, is our brave friend.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#3899586 - 01/22/14 08:44 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Over 10,000,000! Our founder would be proud.

SNAFU! Come out, wherever you are! wave

Manfred von Richtofen

#3939730 - 04/15/14 04:11 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Greetings Mates......

The rumors of my demise were premature!

Nothing posted since January I see. Well, perhaps we can get things rolling once more?

Are you there Dux? Come in Dux. And may I thank you sir, McG and all those who continued to keep HWH alive while I was unavoidably away.

More later my friends. It is grand to be back from Stalag Luft DerrInternetKaputen. smile

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#3940088 - 04/16/14 05:17 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks:

The echo of my footsteps as I walked down the front corridor of HWH Hall was disconcertingly deafening. There is no one here. In fact the last mouse was leaving by the front door as I entered. He looked poorly indeed and was struggling to carry his tiny suitcase.

Dux's locker was cleaned out and the SNAFU memorial standing in the courtyard does not appear to have been cleaned of bird droppings for months. Worst of all, the bar was completely dry. There is nary a pint nor a drop of beverage of any sort save for...shudder....water. I've only seen that happen once before and that was the day Olga and Dux were to be married and someone took pity on the doomed and let Dux loose from his room where we had locked him pending the happy event. He stopped on his way to Argentina to drain every bottle and scrawl unpleasant epithets on the mirror behind the bar with a red grease pencil.

Incidentally, for those who were not there; Dux never did make it to Argentina. We found him unconscious, lying peacefully in the back garden clutching an empty bottle of bitter in one hand and s flower in the other. I believe that it was a lily. At that precise moment the bride-to-be showed up and feeling remorseful for our part in the proceedings we picked up the poor lad and threw him down that old "dry" well to hide him from a fate worse than almost anything you might think of.

Oh, and the old well turned out not to be so dry after all. Not only was there at least 20 feet of water down there in the dark but also Dux's stash amounting to several cases of recently bottled Château Thames Embankment.

The fall alone should have killed him outright but the wooden cases floating about not only broke his fall they also kept him afloat until he eventually came to and soon we began to hear the popping of corks.

As for moi, I'm having a pint of water and going to bed. Maybe someone else will show up tomorrow? I wonder what happened to LeRoy? He owed Dux a sizable amount of money before I was shot down. I do hope our boy Dux hasn't done something rash...

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#3940554 - 04/17/14 09:28 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: Jolly Roger Two]  
Cherkasov54 Offline
Cherkasov54  Offline

Dundee, Scotland
Nice to see you up and about.
I'm sure normal service will resume once word of your return leaks out.

S!

#3940657 - 04/17/14 01:48 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Ghosts!

I believe I have just seen a ghost in this once so noisy and lively mess where the cobwebs now vibrate as I pass through here today, my footsteps echoing down the halls of the HWH squadron, not certain whether I myself am a ghost, - have become a mirage.

You see, once the bar dried out we were in serious trouble. Have you any idea how much nourishment is found in alcohol? Vitamins, proteins, trace elements? Its all there you see, so once the last bottle was completely emptied we were not only thirsting. We were also starving you see. And several of us were starting to suffer from the old DT.

Even Olga was dried out.

You wonder, old pal, JRT, is it really you? - not quite yet in from the cold, - or are you secure amongst us now? You wonder why so few of us are present, why so few remain?

Shudder, it is simply impossible to tell, too terrible and soul-destroying, a secret so dark and horrible that it must remain, yes, a secret.

The sappers, Major Hound too perhaps, I'm no longer sure. We were hungry you see. You do see, don't you?

You see, you are the catalyst in the squadron old pal, the center of attention here.... let me wipe my rheumy eyes while you come closer to the warm stove and warm your hands by the friendly fire, we'll turn it up for you as you sit and rest, here, amongst your friends, and let us know What Happend, that you had to go away.

Sit and rest, while we prepare a festive meal to celebrate your triumphant and joyous return.

Are you hungry?

We are.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#3940866 - 04/17/14 08:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

My dear friends Cherkasov54 and Jens,

Your posts were a sight for sore eyes. Finally the prodigals begin to return! And welcome they shall be. I admit that it is good to back. You'll note that the bar is better stocked...or it was until the mouse returned for a forgotten piece of moldy cheese and thus I had someone to raise a pint with.... er... he used a straw. cheers

Thanks the visit. I've been unable to locate Dux using all the e-mail addresses that I have. How about Pv1? As far as is known I'll be popping in on a daily basis once again. As for the long term future; who knows what may be in the cards for any of us?

I've had a wonky joystick for quite a time. This has prevented my flying. Finally I was able to connect it to a laptop and discovered the stick worked fine. I stewed over the new possibilities and decided it was a USB problem. After removing nearly all the USB devices I tried the stick again and it worked. I then replaced each item one-at -a time checking to see if the stick stopped working and at what point. It stopped again before the last 2 USB devices were reconnected. Removing them restored the stick function.

Looks like I need a powered USB hub to replace the un-powered one that I'm now using. In addition, the power supply is beginning to complain a bit and this old XP Pent. 4 is admittedly well past its sell by date. MS stopped support for XP on the 8th of this month. I think that may have been a hint. frown

These problems might rather abruptly end my resumed posting career Jens.

I've been struggling with a recalcitrant Outlook 2002 that fails to save my passwords and continually requests my network password be typed. It seems to be a common problem from the number of complaints posted on the net. No solution so far. I'm considering downloading a freeware replacement for Outlook.

I tried downloading Pegasus because I used that in the past. A funny thing happened. I downloaded the file from the software site. When I tried to access the .exe installation file I found that every program I used including Explorer crashed. I finally found that ThumbsPlus did not crash and I deleted the file using that. Presto! No more crashes. I've never seen that happen before in the 30 years I've been glued to a monitor screen. Maybe a pesky virus tried to strike and AVG or Malwarebytes shut it down?

Hmmmm. It seems my tag line below need tweaking. BTW Jens I haven't got my local e-mail sorted because of Outlook so any mail will have to be sent to my Hotmail address. You should have that.

Thank you both for dropping in.

#3941074 - 04/18/14 10:34 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Cherkasov54 Offline
Cherkasov54  Offline

Dundee, Scotland
PV1 is away travelling at the moment so has probably missed your return, I'm sure he'll comment when he returns.

S!

#3941107 - 04/18/14 01:06 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
I see that Dux last posted on April 6th, so I assume he is presently inspecting the grounds and shall be with us in the not too distant future.

So XP has finally had it then. It was a good run and a good un' Light in terms of demands on the users system and basically delivering what we all want; stability and basic functionality.

If one's primary concern is to be able to surf the net and post the odd email, a Linux distribution would certainly be an option and at no cost, but if one wants to run old Windows games the fun stops abruptly and one will have to deal with repositories and unfamiliar commands. Sudo apt get or such nonsense.

I find that I have dumped the MS Office suite entirely and left it behind for freeware including, substituting Outlook with Thunderbird and IE with Chrome, Firefox and occasionally Opera.

I've never forgiven MS for making it next to impossible to understand how to back up emails and contacts, and how to restore them.

Strange though, that Pegasus would return such dramatic consequences though?

Today we are marking an anniversary here in DK. April 18th is the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Dybboel, a battle which we lost and which to this day shapes the modern Danish debate in terms of how we view the world.

Going back another few years, to the first prussian war; the background for the second war becomes clearer: We Danes thought that we enjoyed a special favourite status by the European powers over Prussia and thus thought that we would be assisted once again.

First Schleswig War

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#3941341 - 04/18/14 07:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks:

Pv1 traveling is he? Now what would cause someone who lives in the great Northwest with its "perfect" climate to wander? wink I hope it is warm and sunny wherever he may be. It is just that here in NC. Everything is blooming beautifully and the deciduous trees have sprouted their green summer finery. Easter is definitely near.

Could you fellows see the lunar eclipse and "Blood Moon" this week? It was too cloudy here and C51 says ditto for him.

Blood Moon? This might explain Dux's absence. Was the eclipse visible in the UK? If so, could it be he woke from a drun... stupo.... deep sleep and seeing the blood red moon freaked out thinking Olga's powers were now such that she could paint the moon a Russian hue. Nothing from him by e-mail. Perhaps I do not have a correct address though I used the last one he sent me during my absence.

If for some un-anticipated reason I do not communicate with you again before Easter... don't forget to hide your eggs. smile

#3941699 - 04/19/14 05:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Rog!

Delighted to receive your email and to see you, Jens and Cherkasov posting here once again. I just got back from holiday an hour ago and will respond to your email message and enlarge on this post over the weekend. biggrin

Now to unpack...

Manfred von Richtofen

#3941837 - 04/19/14 11:34 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,
Dux:

Hail, Hail... and all that.

Not that it is important to me you know however I noticed my locker had been jimmied open and cleaned of its contents; namely a bottle of well-aged Jack Daniels, a pair of clean socks, two bus tokens, several ration cards belonging to other people and a 8x10 photo of Betty Garble suitable for framing.

If you know anything about the whereabouts of my stuff, and I'm not accusing you, please return it, no questions asked. In fact, keep the booze and cards but return the photo and socks.

I have posted another address for you to use and I am sending it to Jens as well. Write when you're sobe...regain consciou... finished un-packing. smile

#3941958 - 04/20/14 09:16 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
JRT,

Thanks! I got your default email and just sent a reply. yep

Yep....I heard about the 'blood moon' from Kate but when I staggered out into the night I actually beheld both of them! I was the only one around here who reported that rare dual phenomenon! Great to have you back to revitalize the thread.

Can't help you with that pillaged locker old pal... Olga went back to Russia, citing lack of male interest. During her latter days here, she was seen sticking pins into hand made familiars which bore an uncanny resemblance to your good self. Should she decide on a flying visit, I can assure you that it will not be on the basis of any intelligence she might have received from me. You do believe me don't you, old pal?

Speaking of PC problems in the above posts...I have dumped my ISP and changed all passwords. Nothing to do with 'Heartbleed'. I was doing it anyway. Tiscali/TalkTalk have been crap for far too long. I only stuck with them out of a misguided sense of loyalty but decided to hand it over to Plusnet instead.
You wouldn't believe how many times I have tried to get TalkTalk to sort out my account log-in details. In the end I just gave up. Their email access has always been erratic.

Manfred von Richtofen

#3942060 - 04/20/14 04:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks:
Dux,

Got yer mail and was so pleased to see your flight status is still marked as 'among the surviving'.

We have few options here as to ISPs and my new connection (supposedly the same as before) seems slower. I mark that to be this aged machine more than anything else. My son's new laptop can run rings around this old thing. Still it is mine and it has been a good one to hang on this long. Both hard drives are filling especially with my graphics, B&W photo colorizing and my digital paintings. It is time to archive a lot of stuff completed over the long winter onto DVDs. Here's an example of a digital painting of a teenage sweetheart from way back in the 60s (the 1960s... not the 1860s! It was rude of you to suggest otherwise):

I missed getting photos of the weather in the Peaks Dist. and around Toronto. Speaking of winter; we had a colder than average winter and a wet one too. We had several snows this year when most years we get by with none or just a dusting. Some snows were 6" or more this year. With our generally mild climate the snow was all gone in a few days. How was your winter? Today we have 60 deg. F. with an expected low tonight of 45 F. All is abloom, the dogwoods, azaleas and pears are gorgeous. The deciduous trees have green leaves already. That's not unusual by Easter Sunday. It is partly sunny with a warming trend next week into the high 70s and low 80s.

I'm considering getting that WW1 flight sim you like so much if I can find it and load it on my son's laptop to see how I like it. He doesn't own a joystick however my old USB joystick seems to work fine with his computer. What sim are you flying now besides BoB?

I don't have the photos you mentioned in your mail so send them on at your earliest inconvenience.

#3942309 - 04/21/14 09:19 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

Rog,

Super artwork and so typical of your imaginative presentations. I never got to grips with digital stuff. You make it look slick and easy but I'm sure it isn't. Well done.

Our weather? We were asked the question by our weather services: 'Will this be the hottest Easter on record?'
I shouldn't think so. Yesterday morning - Easter Sunday - the wind chill factor felt like 38-40f! I really don't know where they get it from...

I flew RoF for many hours and have now given it a rest.You load it for free and buy extra planes and things if you feel you need too. There are special offers on every now and again. I'm sure you would love it. Right now, I am on IL-2 Cliffs but need to upgrade to the latest patch. Got close to flying with others but haven't got the quiet and privacy which is required for maximum concentration...just to survive. I'll let you know when I get into it and maybe we can finally get around to doing what we said we might do 13 years ago. That was pre-patches Rowans BoB, eh? Seems so long ago.

I recently replaced my creaking AV8R stick with the Speedlink Black Widow. You can pick them up on Ebay or Amazon for about £25-£30 but the quality is far better than you might think for the price.

I'll look those pics up and email them.

Manfred von Richtofen

#3942337 - 04/21/14 11:59 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Rog,

Mail received and my the cat and the grandkids have grown! The B&W photo colourized is amazing. How do you decide what should be red, green, etc. and which saturations? The mind boggles. Very impressive.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#3942549 - 04/21/14 06:10 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks:
Dux,

Thanks for the compliment. PS has a lot of natural brushes and any color conceivable at hand. A Wacom tablet makes artwork much more natural but it is not mandatory. I get good results without one.

I will see if #1 son will download the ROF program to his laptop. What are the default planes? Do you now have a set of rudder pedals?

I had read you had a tough winter. We had a very wet one and this sometimes heralds a hot, dry summer. So far it has been a cooler than average spring. The Azaleas and Dogwoods are in full bloom as they should be at Easter. Alas the beautiful blooms don't last more than a few weeks. We have 67 F. here right now and expect a low tonight of 45 F. Thunder boomers are in the cards for tomorrow with a warming trend into the 80s F. later in the week.

Jens,

I have my own flesh tone colors and hair colors (usually used in gradient form. Some time I have specific color instructions or a memory of them (as in Grandfather's barbershop). Some times it is simply intuition and an arbitrary decision on my part. Most times it really doesn't matter anyway. The secret is getting each item in the photo properly selected and separated on individual layers so the colorizing process can be controlled. For instance each portion of an individual person's clothes, their face, lips, teeth, hands, hair etc. must all be separated. A tedious process however, with the color of an item on another layer I can change the blend mode of the layer as needed to allow details in the original to show through the color layer above it just enough. Often really old photos also require a considerable amount of repair before colorizing process can even begin.

Here is a side-by-side example of an old photo of the same young lady in the painting above:

#3943503 - 04/23/14 09:35 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks:

It's a tad quiet around here again.

Good news. I found LeRoy sound asleep at the bottom of those 3,000 crumbling steps leading down to the HWH bomb shelter, archives and vintage wine cellar. True to his nature he was guarding the thirsty and the up-to-no-good. Apparently also because it was thirsty work he had sampled several bottles of Château Thames Embankment Vin. Recent put up for Dux. Matron had his stomach pumped so he'll be as right as rain in no time.

I've read extensively about air warfare as I'm sure you have also. Time and time again I've noted that a pilot in the heat of combat will get that itchy feeling o the back of his neck and discover something nasty on his six just in the nick of time. I have had that same feeling more than once flying BoB.

Thank goodness for Ctrl-F1 (Nearest enemy). Last night after a long fight with a veteran 109 driver; I was without a wingman, low and slow and taking care not to fly straight and level for more than a few seconds as I began to climb, I was just pointing the dangerous end of my Spitfire toward another 109 when I got that funny feeling on the back of my own neck. I quickly punched in Ctrl-F1 and just in time too. A very unsociable fellow was sneaking up on me from behind and already close . I took evasive action in time. The result, another pile of smoking wreckage made in Germany is decorating a British farmer's field and I made it home in time for supper.

OK, I've been gone a long time but even my tired old blues can see changes have been made at SimHQ. I like most of it but I'm wondering what resolution are these pages now optimized for? Anyone know? I realize that large pix of my art changes the view. Sorry. I'll be more careful next time in sizing my uploads.

Page 437 of 608 1 2 435 436 437 438 439 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.