Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3905941 - 02/02/14 04:37 PM Done initial training missions, what now?  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
SO I've finished the inital training missions that come with the A-10C module, but am still nowhere near prepared for the campaign. Any thoughts on next steps? Perhaps some training campaigns, join a squadron to learn more, etc?

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3905944 - 02/02/14 04:48 PM Re: Done initial training missions, what now? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
There are several options, Aggressor.

You can check with various virtual A-10C squadrons like the 476th vFG and see if they're still recruiting and if they're a good fit for you.

You can also hop onto any of the open multiplayer servers to get some flight experience with folks who can show you tactics and techniques and help answer your questions. I strongly recommend joining a server that has some sort of voice comm, like Teamspeak 3 - getting lessons via chat is difficult. Eno's Firehouse and Wrecking Crew's Hollo Pointe servers are a local SimHQ community that is extremely noob friendly. Can't recommend them enough.

Have you played any of the single missions that came with DCS World? Can't hurt to just load one up and apply those training sessions to real combat. Even the Instant Flight missions from the main menu are decent intro sessions.

How about just jumping into the campaign? Sure, you might make some mistakes your first few attempts, but there's no better way to learn than to do, especially when there's always a "refly" button. BeachAV8R has some great after action reports for the A-10C campaign missions to give you a preview of what to expect. Looking for the links now...

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3907321 - 02/05/14 01:28 AM Re: Done initial training missions, what now? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Crowley Offline
Crowley  Offline

Fort Worth, TX, USA
Aggressor, I've been wanting to get back into flying with someone again (solo is kind've boring for me, and I don't want to join any squads [many are mainly very 'military training' type, I just want to play the 'game']).

I've thought about joining into the Eno's Firehouse/WC's Hollo Pointe servers, but just never have yet. I wouldn't mind flying with you personally (on any server).. we'd both be 'learning/relearning'.. if you're up for that. I'm no expert, but I'm sure I can teach you a few things (multiple target JDAM programming drops, etc).

What part of the US do you live so we could 'coordinate' times, if you're interested? I'm in the Central US (TX).

Gaming System: W7 64bit, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz, ASUS M5A99X EVO, CORSAIR XMS3 8GB, GeForce GTX 960 4GB, Kingston HyperX 3K 120gb SSD(OS), 2 WD 1TB 7200rpm (Gaming)
Sims: A10C, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV, FC3
Controllers: Saitek Pro Pedals, ThrustMaster Warthog, TrackIR 5 & Proclip, Logitech G35 Wheel
#3907858 - 02/06/14 05:27 AM Re: Done initial training missions, what now? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

^ Flying with a person like this is good. There's a ton to learn about the jet to make it feel like home. I think pick a certain system or task and explore it in depth then the next day pick a new one. Can't eat the elephant in one sitting no matter how hungry you are.

#3907945 - 02/06/14 02:52 PM Re: Done initial training missions, what now? [Re: Frederf]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: Frederf
I think pick a certain system or task and explore it in depth then the next *week pick a new one.

FTFY

Seriously, though, don't try to take the whole jet on all at once - it's overwhelming. Take the time to really learn each system/method. Reading manuals is good, experimenting in the sim is really good, but nothing beats going up with a helpful individual (or two) on voice comms and stepping through the process, asking questions, and actually applying it in missions.

This is a great community to do that.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3916364 - 02/25/14 04:47 AM Re: Done initial training missions, what now? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
The_Pharoah Offline
The_Pharoah  Offline

Brisbane, Aust
Even though you've finished the training, you still need to remember how to employ them in combat (ie with AAA/SAMs flying all over the place).

I'd suggest you play on MP servers with actual missions. See if you survive that.

#3939583 - 04/15/14 12:58 PM Re: Done initial training missions, what now? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Another vote here for just hopping into the SimHQ servers and having at it. I did that after having a shaky background in flying and you'll learn the essential things as you go.

Just make sure you can take off first, otherwise wrecking on the runway tends to throw wrenches into the missions.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3940442 - 04/16/14 10:16 PM Re: Done initial training missions, what now? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
SUBS_17 Offline
SUBS_17  Offline

Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
SO I've finished the inital training missions that come with the A-10C module, but am still nowhere near prepared for the campaign. Any thoughts on next steps? Perhaps some training campaigns, join a squadron to learn more, etc?

You could try the BFT campaign, that might improve your skills flying. You can find such missions on the DCS website under user missions. They are payware campaigns but only $5 and there are many other user missions that are freeware there as well.

"Trust me I know what I'm doing" Detective Sledge Hammer

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.