Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3939913 - 04/15/14 08:47 PM Emergency Check-list in Real Flight  
Gigolety Offline
Gigolety  Offline

Lugano
Do you know if in real life military pilots memorize all the emergency check-list ?

Quite frankly I tried to learn by memory the Emergency check-list of the real F-16C but I finally gave up. The only part I refresh time after time (once every 6 months), is the Flameout /SFO Landing and the take-off, before landing and landing check-list.

Anything else I normally use the read, decide and do technique.

What is going on in real life ?

Last edited by Gigolety; 04/15/14 08:49 PM.

I speak many languages one of them is cesky
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3942933 - 04/22/14 04:07 PM Re: Emergency Check-list in Real Flight [Re: Gigolety]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
I don't know if the Air Force is the same, but., in Navair there were memory items and other items.

So, Engine Fire might be pretty much entirely memorized, but Generator Fail might not be.

NATOPS denotes memory or immediate action items with asterisks.

#3943071 - 04/22/14 10:34 PM Re: Emergency Check-list in Real Flight [Re: Gigolety]  
Apache600 Offline
Apache600  Offline

Sacramento, CA
I can't imagine they would. Not even airline pilots do. I fly a caravan for FedEx, and for our emergency checklists we have a few "memory items" that we need to perform for memory if such a failure occurs, but then the rest of that same checklist you refer to your reference. Like Deacon211 said, immediate action are the memory items, but for the example of Engine Fire, the things you do after the fire is out (forced landing / engine out about 3,000 AGL) are things you'll look up in the reference guide.

#3943180 - 04/23/14 03:52 AM Re: Emergency Check-list in Real Flight [Re: Gigolety]  
KlarSnow Offline
KlarSnow  Offline

NAS Pensacol, Fl
Air Force does boldface, which are immediate action items, usually first couple of steps of a checklist, and are only for emergencies which require them (engine fire, environmental failure, loss of controlled flight for example) then after immediate actions are accomplished you reference the checklist and perform cleanup items. Some are pretty much required to be memorized but aren't actually boldface (emergency ground egress)

#3990559 - 08/04/14 01:57 PM Re: Emergency Check-list in Real Flight [Re: Gigolety]  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Sorry for the late response. I think the other guys have covered the question well.

Yes, military pilots may have emergency procedures which they have to recall and perform from memory. So do airline pilots...but it depends on the type of plane (and sometimes the individual company).

For example, for the situation of a malfunction during engine start, for the companies that I presently train, one has that procedure as a 'memory' item and another does not. Same procedure, just different ways of handling the situation.

As aircraft get more dependable and reliable, fewer situations require responses to be memorized. Some of the companies that I work with use a method known as a Quick Reaction Card (QRC). This is a plastic covered single piece of heavy paper that has emergency procedures on it and is kept in the cockpit. For example, one QRC has 16 situations...before the QRC concept was instituted, all of these were memory items. Now, only 9 are, and the memory steps are reduced to the bare minimum. The idea is that the pilot can pull out the QRC and read and do it about as quickly as previously we would do things from memory. The added benefit is that the pilot doesn't make mistakes resulting from a faulty memory. Once the QRC steps are completed, then the pilot is directed to the main checklist to finish the procedure.

Here's a slightly different aspect of the memory item subject. Back in the day...and even now...I would ask the student what the very first thing he would do in the event of an emergency. The typical answer was that he needed to know what the situation was before he could answer. I then said that this wasn't necessary. Usually at this point the student is stumped and doesn't know what to say. So, I tell him..."Wind the clock".

"Wind the clock?" What does that mean? For one thing, today, the clocks are electric and don't need to be wound. What this means is simple. I don't really mean that the student should wind the clock...instead, I'm saying that he shouldn't rush off and do something without first pausing to consider what needs to be done. In other words, don't make the situation worse by doing the wrong thing. Slow down and think first. Then act.

Not that there aren't some situations that need an immediate response. I had enough situations when flying fighters where this was the case...speed was important because the situation was seriously bad. Such is life.

Even in the situation where I had to eject from an A-10, I still tried to get things sorted out first until it became obvious that this was something for which there was only one outcome. "Handles Raise, Triggers Squeeze". Boom. Out of Dodge.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.