Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
TvsT still provides many hours of WWII Tactical Armor Simulation gameplay:

http://youtu.be/hIzfIUfyXzw

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3934869 - 04/05/14 05:43 AM Re: For those still asking about TvsT [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

I do not understand why this game has stayed so stagnet. It was designed to use python scripts and Maya 5.0 models. I know the distributer went belly up and the developer swore off sims, but the community pushing to make this game was the hardest of hard core. Are you telling me there is a disconnect with python and the code, or is it the Maya 5.0 file format? They used speedtree for the vegitation.

So why did modders who worked so hard to ensure this game was made abandon it?

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#3934873 - 04/05/14 06:23 AM Re: For those still asking about TvsT [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
frinik22 Offline
frinik22  Offline

Let's see; the game was terribly buggy to start with and was probably released very quickly possibly because Steel Fury was incidentally being distributed in the West by the same distributor Lighthouse Interactive (which went belly up in early 2010) which was trying to avoid undercutting their sales of one game with a competing product? The AI was atrocious, the tank specs were equalized with MP in mind thus the T-34/85 could kill the Tiger in one shot no matter where you would sh. The problem with that game was that it was never intended for SP.The SP is just 12 quickies for training and then on to playing one-on-one in MP. The SP is so scripted as having very little replayable value. When LH Interactive tanked, G5, the Swedish company that had created the game,just reneged it and even removed it from their webpage of games they had created.

The only person showing interest is ZeeWolf who decided to tackle the code , fix it and make new stuff but at $ 60 or so per year and very, very slow progress. I was a member the first year and then gave up as I thought is was not value-added for me and SF was and is in my mind much, much better.

Unfortunately save for a team around Murkz and a Belgian modder who passed away 2 years ago and whose name I forget who improved the MP( until nobody played and they gave up last year) and Zeewolf nobody really took much interest in that game. Panzer Elite and Steel Fury garnered all the attention of the modders/gamers while TvsT was deemed too buggy and the Mission Editor too daunting...

Last edited by frinik22; 04/06/14 10:51 AM.
#3934875 - 04/05/14 06:44 AM Re: For those still asking about TvsT [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
murkz Offline
murkz  Offline

Herefordshire, Uk
Pretty much "hit the nail on the head" there frinik.

From my point of view, once Monkwarrior (Albert) who was Dutch passed away at a very early age, we (MonkWarriors MultiPlayer MMP) had no coder to tackle the various issues with the TvsT code.

Vase and myself, neither of us coders, went through and removed as many bugs as we could that were reported in the error logs and that did help to make TvsT a lot more stable under multiplayer conditions. Multiplayer was the only aspect we where interested in. Single player is as frinik has pointed out.

Though the underlying errors are still there, without a coder and probably the source code* TvsT will remain a superb Tiger driving experience.

To quote someone that has actually been in a real Tiger. "It's surprising how close they got this to the real thing"

Then to finish off we have had a crash of our repository and lost the last build (MMP7) we worked so long and hard on.

Things that could do with a fix (multiplayer)that stand out as frustrating.

More reliable network code
Better damage model
Trees that are server specific, currently you can be driving around missing every tree, another user will here you pushing trees over. As trees are spawned on the local machine.
There are more but these spring to mind as it is a long time since we played T34 vs Tiger.

To finish on a positive:
Possibly the best Tank driving experience ever created in a pc sim.

*We got in contact with one of the TvsT coders. He has now left Russia and when we spoke to him, he had the source code on the laptop he left behind in Russia, which has since been junked.

Last edited by murkz; 04/05/14 11:28 AM.
#3935007 - 04/05/14 06:22 PM Re: For those still asking about TvsT [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Damn what a shame.
Really enjoyed that video.
I once sat in the drivers seat of a tiger,(For real) on an outing to bovington tank museum
The tiger was not on show. And I was really pissed off about it so I spoke to one of the staff and explained I had come all the way from Ireland just to see the tiger.
In all credit to the museum staff the took me over to the sheds where the beast was being maintained and they let me sit in the drivers seat for just a couple of minutes.
I am not easily impressed but that was OMG moment, I have been in tanks before but there was just something About the tiger really hope you guys can do something for TvsT if there's anything I can do let me know. Glad To help I know a few people involved with steel beasts but there not coders it seems a waste if the sim is Repairable.

Last edited by marko1231123; 04/06/14 02:47 PM.
#3935201 - 04/06/14 10:53 AM Re: For those still asking about TvsT [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
frinik22 Offline
frinik22  Offline

Thwe additional shame is that I also lost the copy ogf MMP7 that Murklz had generously donated to me which I meant to try . Now it's really lost. I still can't understand how it coul;d have been deleted since I am sure I kept it on a laptop, my desktop and an external hard drive!!!! alien

#3935815 - 04/07/14 06:48 PM Re: For those still asking about TvsT [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Sounds like a malediction fall on that game. too bad!...We might need an exorcist more than a new developer to bring it back to life!

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#3938777 - 04/13/14 08:47 PM Re: For those still asking about TvsT [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Smiladon Offline
Smiladon  Offline

I have a copy of MMP7

Found it yesterday on a external H/D

O_Smiladon

#3938808 - 04/13/14 10:28 PM Re: For those still asking about TvsT [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
What's happened O_Smiladon,lost your log-in? While you are here can you update your WW2 Battleship simulator post please? yep

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3938864 - 04/14/14 02:17 AM Re: For those still asking about TvsT [Re: Chucky]  
Smiladon Offline
Smiladon  Offline

HI Chucky,

Yes Log in went haywire so had to do a new one...lol

The battleship sim has been put on hold.

There is a group of guys who are doing sominthing now and they have alot of work done and completed.

So that being said I have stood back to see whats is going to happen. I have been takling to some of them and they have some really good stuff to go.

I do not think it is going to be to long till we see a website come up on there project.

Regards

O_Smiladon

#3938928 - 04/14/14 10:15 AM Re: For those still asking about TvsT [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Thanks for the update,sorry for the thread hi-jack Gunny.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.