Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3938783 - 04/13/14 08:58 PM Two things I re-noticed again  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
I was yesterday with couple friends in Europapark, one of europes biggest Funparks. I was in about 8 rollercoasters in the frontseat, especially the big and hairraising ones were really fun. After that we went over the very near French border to Alsace for dinner.
Two things I re-noticed.
1. With all those G-forces and negative G-forces and manouvers (hammerheads, loops, barrelrolls, long dives etc.) it must have been really really tough to have a clear thought and the calmness to have a good aim. In simulators, where you know what manouvers you are doing, but your brain and body has no physical response, it is really easy to stay focused and to follow the opponents etc. No physical strain, no guts which are shaken about, no g-forces which makes it very tough to focus on anything until the manoeuvre is done. That showed me again why it was in real very tough to collect victories and why fights didn't last forever.
2. It showed me again how spot on the landscape of Alsace and overall WOFF is. The colours, the fields, the clouds, the layers, the haze etc. No tweaking of colours or gamma or whatever necessary. It really looked like WOFF, just no FPS indicator ;-).

#3938792 - 04/13/14 09:55 PM Re: Two things I re-noticed again [Re: Creaghorn]  
Nowi Offline
Nowi  Offline

Florida
All you said and then add in the cold at 10,000 feet and oxygen deprivation. I remember reading somewhere that a WWI aviator commented how he thought as you went higher things turned grey. It was only years later, when he was flying commercial and looked out a window that he realized it was actually bright blue at altitude. It had only seemed grey because he was "greying out."

Nowi
#3938839 - 04/14/14 12:17 AM Re: Two things I re-noticed again [Re: Creaghorn]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Creaghorn
2. It showed me again how spot on the landscape of Alsace and overall WOFF is. The colours, the fields, the clouds, the layers, the haze etc. No tweaking of colours or gamma or whatever necessary. It really looked like WOFF, just no FPS indicator ;-).

I don't use SweetFX because there is a problem with WOFF, I use SweetFX because the monitor that came with my computer is fair to midline at best. My friend has a 33 inch high end monitor where WOFF looks beautiful and crisp without SweetFX or any post processing graphics software. Someday I will spring for a high end monitor but until then SweetFX will have to do smile2 Without SweetFX my monitor looks dull and foggy and like it needs glasses hahaha With SweetFX it sharpens up and the colors pop, so I guess it has the capability but something is lost in the translation from graphics card to display.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#3938852 - 04/14/14 01:06 AM Re: Two things I re-noticed again [Re: Creaghorn]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
In the coming months when they finally get released, I plan on purchasing one of the new 27" G-Sync monitors - where the monitor refresh rate is locked directly to the GPU, so there is never any screen tearing and everything is supposed to be silky smooth. No v-sync required. I'm hoping the blacks will be a bit darker on the newer monitor as well. With my current monitor things look too washed out. Time will tell. 2nd quarter of 2014 they are supposed to be released. Anyone else plan on getting one?

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#3938953 - 04/14/14 12:08 PM Re: Two things I re-noticed again [Re: Creaghorn]  
Freiherr_Wulff Offline
OFF Gives you WINGS!
Freiherr_Wulff  Offline
OFF Gives you WINGS!

Dudley UK
Creaghorn I don't know if you read many books but if you do get one called September Evening, The Life and Final Combat of Werner Voss. It covers some of the British combat reports of the incident and a whole load of other interesting stuff.
I do not think you actually notice your position in space and time in relation to anything but the target this is something that seems to come across very strongly in the book. The other thing that strikes me is that when the dust is settled and the combat is over, there head is still going left and right looking for enemy at the same time they are trying to identify where they are and who they are with, Once they figure out location they understand where they came from. and finally when they are on the ground they tend to be shuffled off pretty quickly to get the flight/combat reports before mouths can flap. If you look at the reports individually they will contain clear errors but collectively they tell a picture that questions what we know today. (like the 2 Tri-planes) must read smile

Hellshade if they do them in 37" maybe lol

Excuse my grammar please. I struggle writing English

Patience is not a virtue, Its a waste of time.

Wings Over Flanders Fields Pics/Videos on my Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/VonWulf

#3938961 - 04/14/14 12:39 PM Re: Two things I re-noticed again [Re: Hellshade]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hellshade
In the coming months when they finally get released, I plan on purchasing one of the new 27" G-Sync monitors - where the monitor refresh rate is locked directly to the GPU, so there is never any screen tearing and everything is supposed to be silky smooth. No v-sync required. I'm hoping the blacks will be a bit darker on the newer monitor as well. With my current monitor things look too washed out. Time will tell. 2nd quarter of 2014 they are supposed to be released. Anyone else plan on getting one?

Sounds wonderful but I can only imagine how much they'll cost right out of the gate.

May have to wait awhile until the prices get more reasonable.

(For Tech Reference)
i7-4770k Intel Processor @3.5Ghz, 16GB System RAM, GTX760 2GB video, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD (with Win7-64 on it).
#3938978 - 04/14/14 01:35 PM Re: Two things I re-noticed again [Re: Creaghorn]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Reading in Otto Fuchs book "Wir Flieger" yesterday, I realised, that in addition to the physical stress
there also came a big mental one. He described, that when he dived towards an enemy aircraft, a kind of
fear was clutching the heart with a strong fist. Fear about all kind of things that could go wrong,
fear to be hit by defensive fire, fear to fail with the attack.
And yes, he said, we do it DESPITE the fear, magically drawn into the fight.

In the beginning of his fighter carreer, he often didn't even see any enemy planes, although he followed
his flight diving towards something. He might see flames and smoke, and then it was over, and he had no
idea what there had been! It was so bad, that he thought he'd quit the service as a fighter pilot, cause
he was just useless. But then he didn't, and became one of the aces of Jasta 30.

The book has many great descriptions of situations and feelings, and I recommend this great read to everyone.
It was even translated into English by Adam Wait, under the title "Flying Fox".

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3938996 - 04/14/14 02:11 PM Re: Two things I re-noticed again [Re: Freiherr_Wulff]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Freiherr_Wulff

Hellshade if they do them in 37" maybe lol

Well the 27" monitor is set to retail for $799. I can imagine a 37" won't be cheap.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#3939036 - 04/14/14 03:28 PM Re: Two things I re-noticed again [Re: Creaghorn]  
Slick Wilhelm Offline
Slick Wilhelm  Offline

Rochester, MN
Wow, $799? I think I can be happy with using v-sync until the price comes down a bit.

I7-9700k@4.9 GHZ
16 GB RAM
GTX 2080 8 GB VRAM
2 x 1 TB SSD
32" Dell S3220DGF curved gaming monitor @ 2560 x 1440p @ 165 Hz
Sound BlasterX G6 External USB sound card
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones
Thrustmaster TM16000 FCS HOTAS
Logitec Pro Flight Pedals
TrackIR 5

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search