Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3932093 - 03/30/14 12:56 PM Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT

The RAF brought a diverse selection of aircraft to the Gulf War including the Jaguar GR.Mk 1. The Jaguar is definitely one of those cool looking, rugged airplanes that looks the part of being a rubble bouncer. Primarily flying daylight interdiction sorties, the Jaguar flew over 600 sorties with no losses.

Our mission for today replicates some sorties that the Jaguars were tasked for several times during the war: the destruction of coastal anti-ship Silkworm batteries that posed a threat to Coalition naval forces.

With the extremely short flight distance to the combat area, I elect to lighten our loads and give myself a 50% fuel load and my wingman a 75% fuel load. The Jaguar normally carried the CRV7 rocket and later in the war was cleared to carry the CBU-87 cluster bomb. In my SF2 install I could not find either of those weapons as available (I'm not a skilled modder, but I'm sure you can edit the weapons.ini file to fix that or something), so I improvised and used CBU-52/B and a different type of rocket pod for my wingman.

Off we go..!

The unique top wing mounted Sidewinders give the Jaguar an unusual silhouette...

( Note: Sundowner's Jaguar Package: HERE! )

Further inland the Iraqi Air Force is sending up MiG-29s. In reality, they were just as likely to flee east over the border to seek asylum in Iran, but in the early days of the war they were a little more game to engage...

But the kill ratio was always skewed to the extreme toward Coalition air power...

As we work our way east toward the coast we are circumventing some of the air defense units that have been set up in Kuwait. An SA-8 searches for us just to the north. I do notice that the Jaguar seems to have a more aggressive fuel burn than what I was expecting, and the fuel totalizer ticks down at a fairly rapid pace...

Meanwhile the Tornados continue to pay a high price for their mission tasking...

At the IP we prepare to turn north. I set pull up my CBUs, set them to drop in a pair, and set the maximum ripple interval. I'm not sure if the interval works for opposite side releases or if it only works for paired releases...

Nose art...

Coming up the coast we soon spot the Silkworm missile site...

To keep my wingman safe, I put him into high cover while I make the initial attack run...

I set up to make the attack down the axis of the missile revetments...

Though the RWR is only showing distant search radars, I use flares as I pull off in case there are any MANPADS down there...

The bombs ripple across the site destroying three of the four missile launchers...

I pull hard to the south over the relative safety of the Gulf and look over my shoulder. I see the remaining missile battery is undamaged so I give my wingman the command to strike.

He rolls in with his rockets but his aim is a bit off as his rockets come up short...

I send him back again and this time his rockets damage some support buildings, but again miss the Silkworm launcher...

Sometimes you just have to do the job yourself...

A quick flyby BDA shows all the missile launchers are destroyed and some of the support vehicles and buildings are damaged too...

As I order my wingman to rejoin I take a glance at my fuel gauge and am surprised to see how little I have left..I guess that 50% fuel loadout was a mistake!

In order to shave a bit of flight time off, we cut the corner on the way back to base, but that takes us across occupied Kuwait...

I climb and pull the throttle back to try to reduce the fuel flow to an economy setting...

Even though home base is only about 30 miles away, it is a bridge to far so I'm forced to divert to another airfield that is closer. The squadron mates will never let me live this one down...

The divert field appears out of the haze. I order my wingman to RTB since he has more fuel (presumably)...

I pull up to the ramp to beg, borrow, or steal some fuel...

Another fun and unique mission. The designers of the ODS theater did a good job of populating the region with interesting and historically significant target areas.

BeachAV8R

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3932127 - 03/30/14 03:39 PM Re: Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BrianLidd Offline
BrianLidd  Offline

United States
This AAR is beautifully done. Great work and thank you!

#3932131 - 03/30/14 03:57 PM Re: Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm [Re: BrianLidd]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: BrianLidd
This AAR is beautifully done. Great work and thank you!

Thanks - but I'm just the messenger. The guys that have built these mods deserve all the credit. Pretty amazing what they've done with this sim. It is pretty much the only sim I can think of where it is probably possible to fly any platform in any conflict that you might want.. If there is enough interest, the modders will make it!

BeachAV8R

#3932226 - 03/30/14 08:28 PM Re: Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
I love the Jag! Nice writeup Chris!!!

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#3932417 - 03/31/14 08:45 AM Re: Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Corktip 14 Offline
Corktip 14  Offline

Belgium
Once again, great AAR series, Beach! Quick question, did you ever noticed the AI flights seems to fly at a relatively slow speed when they should be hauling ass, especially in the combat zone?

Murphy's Law says, "Whatever can go wrong, will, and when you least expect it."
(And, of course, we all know that Murphy was an aviator.)

*aka Flying-V*
#3932425 - 03/31/14 09:32 AM Re: Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm [Re: BeachAV8R]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Love the pluggity plug for your Magazine! biggrin

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3932469 - 03/31/14 12:22 PM Re: Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm [Re: BeachAV8R]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Besides another excellent AAR, this topic is also a reminder that the Gulf War might have been the last with such a diverse mix of aircraft... how boring would such a scenario look today.

#3932559 - 03/31/14 04:26 PM Re: Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm [Re: BeachAV8R]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
Nice work, and awesome skin choice for the Jaguar - the real one is at the museum I work at.

#3933092 - 04/01/14 05:03 PM Re: Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
Another great report.

I'm not sure that I can say this comprehensively, but I've never heard of partially fueling an aircraft until I left the military. With maybe the exception of locking out the external tanks for a short peacetime flight (prevents having ground maintenance constantly upload and download the tanks) if you fueled it, you filled it.

I'm sure that doesn't apply to transports. But fighters can suck some gas!

Loving these reports. Is it safe to say that any of the planes you fly single missions with could also be flown in a dedicated campaign?

#3933184 - 04/01/14 08:20 PM Re: Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm [Re: BeachAV8R]  
arthur666 Offline
Pitbull Tickler
arthur666  Offline
Pitbull Tickler

NC, USA
Nice one, Beach.

I am missing me some SF2. Motherboard is becoming unstable. Hope I can build a new system soon.

System Vitals: Intel i5 9600, RTX2060, 16GB DDR3000(OC), Win10 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52, Logitech G27
Current Sims: MSFS2020, Assetto Corsa, StrikeFighters2, IL2:BoS etc, Arma3, American Truck Simulator, SnowRunner
#3933780 - 04/03/14 08:12 AM Re: Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Lord Flashheart Offline
Lord Flashheart  Offline

London, UK
Great AAR Beach - first class!

Quick tech Q.

1) Where on Earth do the SweetFX files go in SF2? I've tried main folder, effects, environment the SF2/Saved Games folder in My Docs with no success.. Is there something I'm missing?

2) Is your Flight Leader comms menu modded? I couldn't find 9. High Cover in the set of commands for my wingman....

Thanks!

There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
#3937222 - 04/10/14 12:22 PM Re: Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm [Re: Lord Flashheart]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Besides another excellent AAR, this topic is also a reminder that the Gulf War might have been the last with such a diverse mix of aircraft... how boring would such a scenario look today.

It was quite the gathering of aircraft and other military hardware wasn't it?

Originally Posted By: Lord Flashheart
1) Where on Earth do the SweetFX files go in SF2? I've tried main folder, effects, environment the SF2/Saved Games folder in My Docs with no success.. Is there something I'm missing?

It goes in your SAVEDGAMES/THIRDWIRE/SF2-ODS/FLIGHT folder. Or wherever your user files SF2 files go.

Originally Posted By: Lord Flashheart
2) Is your Flight Leader comms menu modded? I couldn't find 9. High Cover in the set of commands for my wingman....

Yes, I'm using a modded flight comms menu made by PureBlue: HERE!

Apologies for the late reply - I was out of the country for 10 days..but back in the saddle again.. smile

BeachAV8R

#3937771 - 04/11/14 12:11 PM Re: Desert Storm - Mission 07 - Jaguar v. Silkworm [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Lord Flashheart Offline
Lord Flashheart  Offline

London, UK
Thanks Beach - appreciated!

There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.