Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3937400 - 04/10/14 05:26 PM Take off/engine management.  
Compans Offline
Compans  Offline

Bristol VA
Thanks for the advice regarding all of this in the other thread. I can now get my engine started (!).

Taking off in the Hurricane is still a bear however. I don't have rudder pedals so it's on the stick. My typical sequence is:

Trim rudder full right.

Line up on the runway and gradually increase speed with stick full back.

Hurricane starts to veer off to the left, I compensate with rudder but it's hard to not overcompensate and Hurri often veers off to the right. Rudder left. More swerving around. Pick up speed. Stick forward slightly to lift the tail. Hurri veers off again, overcompensate with rudder. Hurri hits grass off the side of the runway which seems to either spin the plane around to face the opposite direction or nose it over onto the prop.

I've destroyed so many aircraft at this point I'm sure I should be demoted to fitter or rigger. Or making the tea and answering the phone. Or maybe a WAAF?

Anyway, on the few occasions I've managed to get airborne, the Hurri doesn't seem to have any power and I seem to be on the verge of a stall. Should I close radiator after takeoff? I do change pitch control to 'course'. Any other engine tricks besides keeping an eye on oil and water temperatures?

BTW...the water temperature is supposed to be around 60-75 degrees I think? Where is this on the dial because I can't read the numbers? Around 9.00?

S! Comp

Geforce GT 610

AMD Athlon (tm) IIX3 450 processor

4.00 GB RAM

Win 7 Home premium
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3937481 - 04/10/14 07:47 PM Re: Take off/engine management. [Re: Compans]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Quote:
Hurricane starts to veer off to the left, I compensate with rudder but it's hard to not overcompensate and Hurri often veers off to the right. Rudder left. More swerving around. Pick up speed. Stick forward slightly to lift the tail. Hurri veers off again, overcompensate with rudder. Hurri hits grass off the side of the runway which seems to either spin the plane around to face the opposite direction or nose it over onto the prop.

Apply right rudder before he start veer off for left.
If you notice that start veer off to right, ease the right rudder pressure.
And then apply again.

Record a small video taking off with Hurricane:

Notice rudder small inputs, you need anticipate the planes movements, because after "pendulum" start is better call the ambulance. smile

After lift off, raise the Landing Gear - is need hit the command TWO times because the neutral position in Hurricane H gear/flaps control - easy the nose to pick some speed and climb. Change PP in this stage dont help because you need torque from propeller.

To easy look at instruments, map a key for "Glance at dashboard" in VIEW and map
the same key for "FOV 70" (use NEW instead remap the actual) in CAMERA, you seed this:

This command "Glance" is momentary (snap view).

BTW - Water temp at 90 degrees is with needle around 10 o'clock. Limits from TF Wiki:

Glycol Recommended Temperatures:
Minimum: 60°C
Normal: 105-115°C
Maximum: 116-120°C

For fast reference, normal is needle on ~12 o'clock.

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 04/10/14 11:11 PM.
#3937562 - 04/10/14 10:48 PM Re: Take off/engine management. [Re: Compans]  
Compans Offline
Compans  Offline

Bristol VA
Thanks for the info Sokol! Much better now and the mapping of FOV 70 helped a lot. OK I am now usually in the air.

Geforce GT 610

AMD Athlon (tm) IIX3 450 processor

4.00 GB RAM

Win 7 Home premium

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.