Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3909494 - 02/09/14 04:55 PM Gun Questions for the experts here!  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
1. What's the word on the Glock 32 .357 SIG Auto?

2. Is the .357 SIG Auto a good ammo to take down things.

I did a GOOGLE search and it doesn't seem many LEO agencies uses it. How does it stack up against the .40 S&W?

3. Anyone know anything about these Bar-Sto barrels?

Are they the same as Magna-Porting? What difference do those barrels do as compared to a regular factory barrel that came with the gun?

http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=GLOCK

I am looking at an used Glock 32 with both the regular factory barrel and the Bar-Sto barrel all included in the sale price.

I own the Glock 17, 19 and 22.

But I never owned a pistol that used the .357 SIG Auto round.

Yet the asking price of that seller is pretty good, under $600 for the Glock 32 with 3 full magazines, the Bar-Sto barrel, custom trigger work, 2 holsters and extra ammo.

What's in the box? C'mon, what's in the boooox?
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3909499 - 02/09/14 05:16 PM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
LEO's now days, are not issuing anything smaller than a .40 cal. round.
You can purchase a smaller caliber, with your own money....but most have quit using the .357

It passes through the subject if it doesn't hit bone, and keeps going, without opening up.
Not doing much 'immediate' damage, and killing someone in the house behind him..... wink
Stopping power is a large caliber bullet....IMHO.
Small and fast, not good for city work.
Nice target pistol.

"Murphy's Law"
#3909508 - 02/09/14 05:37 PM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Colt40Five Offline
Polyatheist
Colt40Five  Offline
Polyatheist
Veteran

Heart of Dixie
Do a google search for "police change to 9mm" and do some reading. IMO the .40S&W and the .357SIG are both failed experiments created(and brilliantly marketed) to solve a problem that didn't exist. Excepting some of the bigger revolver calibers, handgun calibers are generally pathetic man-stoppers. Even in the vaunted 9mm vs .45 debate the numbers aren't far enough apart to make any terminal difference if you don't get good hits. It's about shot placement not caliber. With the price of .357SIG/.40S&W ammo, their relatively high pressures and snappy recoil that punishes guns and shooters alike I just don't think it makes a lick of sense to run either of those calibers if your not being forced to by your employer. I own several .45s, but I carry a 9mm for the increased capacity.

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, or how smart you are, If it doesn't agree with experiment it is WRONG. ~Richard Feynman
#3909654 - 02/10/14 01:08 AM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
I picked this up today.

Beretta PX-4 Storm .40 S&W

I hope I didn't make a mistake.

#3909661 - 02/10/14 01:30 AM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Colt40Five Offline
Polyatheist
Colt40Five  Offline
Polyatheist
Veteran

Heart of Dixie
Sweet a space gun! I haven't read a bad word about those PX-4s. I haven't shot one but I've fondled one and they got the ergos right for sure. It feels nice in the hand. That rotary lock up is supposed to mitigate recoil too. The only gripe I have, from a design standpoint, is the slide mounted safety. I'm just not a fan of those on guns intended for serious work. I saw a vid a while back where a guy(I think it was yankeemarshal on youtube) swapped some parts on his safety and turned it into a de-cock only, so there is a fix for that if it bugs you like it does me. Let us know how she shoots!

*EDIT* Found that vid... Linky

Bonus vid He seems to really like that gun.

Last edited by Colt40Five; 02/10/14 01:35 AM.

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, or how smart you are, If it doesn't agree with experiment it is WRONG. ~Richard Feynman
#3909664 - 02/10/14 01:58 AM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
I have that gun's predecessor in 9. Beretta Cougar. I love the rotating barrel / cam block design but it is too heavy for concealed carry. I shoot it all the time though.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#3909674 - 02/10/14 02:19 AM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
jenrick Offline
jenrick  Offline

1. What's the word on the Glock 32 .357 SIG Auto?

Nice pistol, I've shot a friends a decent bit. I'd personally prefer a longer barrel to take advantage of the higher pressure the .357 sig runs at, but the 32 is very shootable.

2. Is the .357 SIG Auto a good ammo to take down things.

I did a GOOGLE search and it doesn't seem many LEO agencies uses it. How does it stack up against the .40 S&W?

Quite a few agencies are still using it: Texas Highway Patrol, Secret Service, Dallas PD, Federal Air Marshals Service, just to name a few. The .357 sig IMO is a better round then .40 S&W. The smaller bullet at higher velocity has more energy if that's your thing. If bullet weight is what makes you happy, you're losing about 20 grains (.0457 ounces or 1.29 grams) of weight, for a LOT higher velocity. All the shooting reports I've been able to review from outside agencies, the round works quite well.

3. Anyone know anything about these Bar-Sto barrels?

Are they the same as Magna-Porting? What difference do those barrels do as compared to a regular factory barrel that came with the gun?

Bar-Sto produces both ported and unported barrels. The ported barrels are designed to do approximately the same thing a Manga-ported barrel does. The major difference between a Bar-Sto or any other aftermarket barrel and the factory barrel is they are usually built to have smaller tolerances so as to be more accurate. How much more accurate is up for debate, but most people do see accuracy gains if they can shoot the gun well.

Quote:
It passes through the subject if it doesn't hit bone, and keeps going, without opening up.
Not doing much 'immediate' damage, and killing someone in the house behind him..... wink
Stopping power is a large caliber bullet....IMHO.
Small and fast, not good for city work.
Nice target pistol.

I'd disagree .357 sig performs quite well in the expansion department, even when encountering intermediate barriers. Remember the .357 sig has the advantage of hitting the market, when quality reliably expanding hollowpoints exist, rather then the bad old days of HP's often not working. In general I'd be much less worried about over-penetration of a target, and much more about outright missing the target (which is what the data shows happens the VAST majority of the time).

-Jenrick

Last edited by jenrick; 02/10/14 02:20 AM.
#3909687 - 02/10/14 04:11 AM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
Thank you Everyone!

#3909701 - 02/10/14 05:07 AM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Jenrick, the Texas Highway Patrol has retired the .357 pistols. All new issues are Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm effective this year.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/05/texas-dps-dropping-sig-picking-sw-mp/

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#3909702 - 02/10/14 05:13 AM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: Colt40Five]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Colt40Five
Do a google search for "police change to 9mm" and do some reading. IMO the .40S&W and the .357SIG are both failed experiments created(and brilliantly marketed) to solve a problem that didn't exist. Excepting some of the bigger revolver calibers, handgun calibers are generally pathetic man-stoppers. Even in the vaunted 9mm vs .45 debate the numbers aren't far enough apart to make any terminal difference if you don't get good hits. It's about shot placement not caliber. With the price of .357SIG/.40S&W ammo, their relatively high pressures and snappy recoil that punishes guns and shooters alike I just don't think it makes a lick of sense to run either of those calibers if your not being forced to by your employer. I own several .45s, but I carry a 9mm for the increased capacity.

Truth!
I only buy the 9mm or .45 now, and only have 1 in .40S&W and it is always the gun that comes up FIRST if I were to actually *sell* one. HA! I really only keep the .40 for the reason that if I can't find ammo in 9mm/.45, I will have something.

With the new designs on the 9mm JHPs, there is no advantage to the 357/40 calibers.
And with the .45 round, I can make anyone shoot small groups.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#3909707 - 02/10/14 06:22 AM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Spliff Offline
Spliff  Offline

Overland Park, KS
If you're planning on CCW'ing that bad boy, be aware that the 357 Sig is one LOUD mutha.

#3909710 - 02/10/14 06:49 AM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: Spliff]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Spliff
If you're planning on CCW'ing that bad boy, be aware that the 357 Sig is one LOUD mutha.

I still have my Smith & Wesson 686 4" that I carried when I was a P.O.

I use it as back up now but it's not as loud as a .44 Magnum.

#3909712 - 02/10/14 06:52 AM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
You know most of all the 9mm vs 45 vs 40 vs whatever talk IS over blown. But I would not say that .40 S&W was necessarily a solution to a problem that never existed. Jump into your way back machine and after that horrific gun fight between a couple wackos and the FBI with the FBI getting the worst of it you can sort of see the why. 10mm was the result of that shooting event. 10mm is a pretty insane caliber and to much gun for average joe LEO. High cap .45's did not really exist yet. So taking the 10mm and pretty much reinventing the thing to .40 was logical. .40 certainly works. But indeed when you dig into stats on shootings you do see that while .45 IS a more effective round, it really is not by much to the 9mm. And where does 40 s&w or .357 sig fit in? Somewhere in the middle. In the end they are all effective. With different possessives and negatives. The 9mm and .45acp have ALOT of history behind them. And indeed modern HP stuff makes you wonder why you need something that is probably slightly better. So IMO personal preference really.

Personally I ended up just going with 9mm alone along time ago. Its not I think its the greatest thing ever. It really is not. But I am not expecting to get in a fight and need to use the dang things that way either. If I see a fight coming that is not my go to weapons. It was the price of 9mm that got me. More bangs for the buck. More fun than .22 and if need be, something that will get the job done. Now if I where actually expecting to need a fighting side arm would I pick that? Ya probably not. But feel fine with it none the less. And after my personal experiences in my little stupid war, pistols are just for going to the DFAC or looking cool. A shoulder arm is to fight with.....and honestly any sort really.

So in the end if that px4 makes you happy...just be happy and forget about the firearms press and internet drama. Its just to have something to bicker about anyways. But if you get the urge to buy a cx4 storm carbine to go with that px4...its a fun gun. =) My winter I go to an indoor range fun gun. And its nice that they share the same magazines assuming the same caliber of course.

#3909713 - 02/10/14 07:00 AM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
Thanks again everyone!

I will go to the range this weekend.

Man! That is one UGLY gun:

http://www.dallasguns.com/guns_for_sale/Smith_Wesson/5804

#3909715 - 02/10/14 07:02 AM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Most my shooting has been done with a CZ-82. The ammo was always cheap, the gun tends to hit what you point it at, and it was small enough I could conceal it easy.

Now I use that POS Beretta and I wish they'd let me carry a Glock of any caliber.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3909801 - 02/10/14 02:20 PM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Shoot that's right... You've got to use the 92 Tim. Ugggh. Better than a 1911 (people are now going to want to punch me) but still....ugh.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#3909815 - 02/10/14 03:02 PM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: FlashBurn]  
Colt40Five Offline
Polyatheist
Colt40Five  Offline
Polyatheist
Veteran

Heart of Dixie
Originally Posted By: FlashBurn
You know most of all the 9mm vs 45 vs 40 vs whatever talk IS over blown. But I would not say that .40 S&W was necessarily a solution to a problem that never existed. Jump into your way back machine and after that horrific gun fight between a couple wackos and the FBI with the FBI getting the worst of it you can sort of see the why. 10mm was the result of that shooting event. 10mm is a pretty insane caliber and to much gun for average joe LEO. High cap .45's did not really exist yet. So taking the 10mm and pretty much reinventing the thing to .40 was logical. .40 certainly works. But indeed when you dig into stats on shootings you do see that while .45 IS a more effective round, it really is not by much to the 9mm. And where does 40 s&w or .357 sig fit in? Somewhere in the middle. In the end they are all effective. With different possessives and negatives. The 9mm and .45acp have ALOT of history behind them. And indeed modern HP stuff makes you wonder why you need something that is probably slightly better. So IMO personal preference really.

You made my point. All those calibers are effective so why run a high pressure snappy recoiling round when the pleasant and plentiful 9 and 45 are out there? The review of the Miami shootout that determined if only they'd had bigger guns it wouldn't have gone down that way(they were right they needed rifles) was as flawed as the events leading up to it, but the gun/ammo companies saw an opportunity to move some product and the rest is history.

Originally Posted By: FlashBurn

Personally I ended up just going with 9mm alone along time ago. Its not I think its the greatest thing ever. It really is not. But I am not expecting to get in a fight and need to use the dang things that way either. If I see a fight coming that is not my go to weapons. It was the price of 9mm that got me. More bangs for the buck. More fun than .22 and if need be, something that will get the job done. Now if I where actually expecting to need a fighting side arm would I pick that? Ya probably not. But feel fine with it none the less. And after my personal experiences in my little stupid war, pistols are just for going to the DFAC or looking cool. A shoulder arm is to fight with.....and honestly any sort really.

If you expect you're going to get into a fight you take a rifle. No one will dispute that, but it's hard to conceal carry an M4 when you're going down to the local stop-n-rob in shorts and a T-shirt to pick up an RC cola and a Moonpie. smile

#3909855 - 02/10/14 04:12 PM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I think the hotter recent duty calibers like .357 SIG and 10mm came about because at one time you needed a lot of velocity to expand a JHP pistol bullet reliably, given the bullet technology of the day.

By the time the .357 SIG was introduced this was much less the case but the perception was still there.

Now its not really an issue either way so people are backing off on the intense, gun abusing chamberings, at least when it comes to social purposes.

#3909868 - 02/10/14 04:49 PM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
So I am reading 2 point of views here on the .357 Sig: Yay and Nay!

The guy who is selling it still has it and he now tells me he will take $500 for the whole package.

I just bought the PX 4 but I am thinking I can't pass up this deal!

This is all he paid for it:

$650 Glock 32 (case, 2 13 rounds mags, etc)
$100 for the trigger work
$260 for the Bar-Sto barrel (6 month wait time to get these custom match barrels)
$80 barrel fitment and testing
$30 Remora holster + shipping
$25 2nd IWB holster
$60 for the ammo shown (4 boxes of ammo)

What do y'all think?

#3909872 - 02/10/14 05:02 PM Re: Gun Questions for the experts here! [Re: ColJamesD]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I think - if you want it, get it. Don't worry about what others think. So much of it is personal taste and intentions. What is important is that whatever you get; get proficient with it.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.