Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4014742 - 09/26/14 03:35 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

This reviewer REALLY enjoyed it... must say it does sound like a lot of fun!

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4014801 - 09/26/14 06:02 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I take it this is only a SP game, right? Not seeing any info on a co-op mode which is what I was hoping for.

#4014872 - 09/26/14 09:07 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

SP only no MP or COOP.

#4016897 - 10/01/14 08:17 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I loves it. Its my precioouus. Sorry. biggrin I'm liking it very much so far. I'm having to get used to the controls but it looks great and feels pretty big. Reminds me of the Arkham games as far as big, burly foes and violent takedowns(as well as over hearing enemy conversation) and AC4 for the building scaling and perching. Right now I'm mostly concentrating on learning and understanding the base controls before upgrading skills. One of my favorite moves right now is grabbing and uruk and shanking him a half dozen times before slitting his throat.

So far the Nemesis system seems pretty cool. I like how it builds more personality into your foes giving you more background and lore. AC games throws enemies at you like cannon fodder. I think I ran into something that I perceived as a glitch unless it was me who got confused.

I decided to finally try killing this one Uruk captain. He wasn't a main mission specific one just another I had run into and he slaughtered me in no time flat. I was able to defeat him the second time around. When I killed him along comes this other captain from nowhere and he kills me and ranks up like five steps.(now I'm pissed with this orc) Later on I kill this other captain and this dude reappears and I actually kill him this time. Yet later on in the main story after killing a mission captain, the dude shows up again though I had killed him already.(I even got a rune from him) Well I killed him again and this time for good. So I don't know if was a glitch or if they can come back?

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4016916 - 10/01/14 08:56 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks for the reports, sounds like I will pick this up eventually.

FYI from reading the RPS review:

"Edit: It seems that captains only die when their heads are cut off, which is a bit of a disappointing discovery. (And yet another very poorly communicated feature.) However, it seems to lead to good things, checkout the top highlighted comment."

"Top comments
01/10/2014 at 19:48 Polifemo says:
Basically this. Beheading them means they die for good. Otherwise they have a chance to come back.
This is actualy BRILLIANT because you can craft your own moster.
Grab a dude, throw him in fire, then kill him while hes on fire. He will come back covered in burn scars and a fear of fire.
Theres lots of different things like this and the stronger the orc gets the better runes he drops when you “kill” him.
You end up having a fondness for your pet self-created nemesis and can help him climb the ranks. This also aplies to random grunts that you can help climb.
Its a game unto itself, like breeding pokemons except instead of breeding cute monsters you are nuturing evil monster brutes clad in iron and seething with hate for all living things. And the “dead for real” finishers are there for when you just want the #%&*$# to die."

Sounds pretty cool.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4016920 - 10/01/14 09:33 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
lol I was going to create a thread entitled 'Come on Coot we know you're playing Mordor, talk to us!'

#4017209 - 10/02/14 03:57 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

biggrin I've probably put 8 hours into the game and only at like %10 complete. I figured there had to be something to my observation and it does actually sound like a good game design and it was confirmed to me last night when I was playing. Here's the story:

While trying to complete this bow challenge, some nobody archer named Tarz happened to kill me when I was week and became a captain. In the nemesis screen he takes out some unidentified captain and ranks up instantly.

I later pursue him and don't make it. I go to pursue him and end up finding another captain and gain instant intelligence on him. He doesn't like Caragors. So I ride in on a Caragor to take him down. biggrin I slash at him and others with my sword seeing if it would injure him and it did. I decided to bite him a bit with the Caragor mount before dismounting to take him down but the slashing, ragdoll rolling bite of my Caragor is just too brutal and actually kills him. I get a rune.

Later while pursuing Tarz again in a stronghold, I literally get chased and surrounded by thirty uruk warriors. Lo and behold the Captain I killed with the Caragor shows back up out of nowhere proclaiming, "You should have made sure I was dead before you left me". And he now is wearing a metal face guard on half of his face.

So I guess I'll have to cut off his head to be rid of him which I like because that's more realistic. But the only means I have to do that now that I know of is that when I finish interrogating and enemy, my character stabs them in the head then chops if off. I guess I'll have to look for some ability upgrade that allows me to decapitate?

#4018866 - 10/06/14 07:50 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
Could someone explain as to what the Runes are for please? I've upgraded sword/bow etc but then there is a second slot for each for runes, and I'm not sure why?

Thanks

#4018883 - 10/06/14 08:30 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Each weapon can be upgraded to hold 5 runes. The runes give you small bonuses like healing you in combat if you explode someone's head. Or 30% more damage if you get your combo above 30. etc.

#4019336 - 10/07/14 06:47 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Master]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
Originally Posted By: Master
Each weapon can be upgraded to hold 5 runes. The runes give you small bonuses like healing you in combat if you explode someone's head. Or 30% more damage if you get your combo above 30. etc.

I see, thanks very much. Now back to beheading some Captains.

#4019356 - 10/07/14 07:29 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Well I'm developing my own nemesis. I'm being humiliated by some Uruk named longtooth. I've been killed a half dozen times by him. Finally killed him but didn't get his head so he shows back up and kills me again. He's now a level 20 captain and I'm ready for him to DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes another captain will show up and interrupt another captain engagement I'm having making it more difficult and irritating. But on the other hand, it shows how random it is and how messy and muddled combat can be which makes it more spontaneous and realistic. Not always a clean outcome or successful one.

#4019721 - 10/08/14 02:06 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
theKhan Offline
resident pacifist (sic)
theKhan  Offline
resident pacifist (sic)

Canada
I've put 20 hours into the game, absolutely love it.

I actually did a lot of the weapon missions and side stuff. Now have a fairly unlocked skill tree and have no trouble wiping out 50 Uruks in a go.

Now I can really start creating and manipulating them. There's this one Uruk I've killed so many times, he shows up with a face completely wrapped in bandages. He freaks out when I get his health below 60%. I think the poor thing is traumatized. biggrin

I used to work for a living, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
#4019777 - 10/08/14 03:37 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

lol that's cool theKhan. I'm liking it too. I don't want spoilers but is there another map in the game eventually or is it all taking place in the Black Gate area?

Every once in a blue moon I'll have an engagement that seems to go perfect for me. After a tense 45 seconds of blocking, countering, attacking with various moves and techniques, I'll have the corpses of eight orcs laying around me. Then I stroll away with feeling like a Middle-Earth champion. biggrin

#4019785 - 10/08/14 03:45 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

There is a second map the same size as the black gate map that you open up about 1/2 way through the game story missions. Then you can switch between the maps with fast travel. The new map has a whole new set of orc captains at a higher level so you can always switch between the two maps and fight the two different groups.

#4020018 - 10/08/14 11:59 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Cool thanks Master.

#4024584 - 10/19/14 08:17 PM Re: Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor [Re: Coot]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted By: Coot

I decided to finally try killing this one Uruk captain. He wasn't a main mission specific one just another I had run into and he slaughtered me in no time flat. I was able to defeat him the second time around. When I killed him along comes this other captain from nowhere and he kills me and ranks up like five steps.(now I'm pissed with this orc) Later on I kill this other captain and this dude reappears and I actually kill him this time. Yet later on in the main story after killing a mission captain, the dude shows up again though I had killed him already.(I even got a rune from him) Well I killed him again and this time for good. So I don't know if was a glitch or if they can come back?

For anyone wondering, you have to cut off their heads,when you get a nemesis if their body is lying dead they may return wounded and patched later and with more perks against you, when you slice their heads, i believe it must be a finisher move, mind rape doesnt count, the sauron army screen for them will be a grave with their head on a pike.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.