Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3899976 - 01/22/14 10:21 PM Tweaking sounds  
yaan98 Offline
yaan98  Offline

WOFF's sounds are much improved over OFF. However, I feel that it could be tweaked a bit more to get them realistic as possible without modding.

I've tried Ambient settings, but the engine is too low and I can hear trains and dogs barking from a few hundred feet off the ground.

In Realistic settings the engine sound wipes all other sounds, but I can also hear the shell explosions coming from the front several miles away.

Here is what I found from an old post at: http://combatace.com/topic/67981-sound-settings-in-workshop/

ENGINE - own engine and damaged engine sound
EFFECTS - flak, wind, AI-engine, so to say everything from outside besides guns
COCKPIT - your own guns, guns from external view and AI guns
USER I/F - everything in non-missions. buttons, sound of switching pages etc.

So far, I have these settings which are pretty close to what I want. The engine is loud, I can hear rips in the fabric, wood creaking and cracking, bullet hits, but I can still faintly hear the shell explosions miles away (and sometimes even the dog barks). This confuses me as I'm thinking there are enemies nearby and the AA are firing at them.

ENGINE - 40
EFFECTS - 40
COCKPIT - 30
USER I/F - 30

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to adjust these settings to their liking and satisfied with the outcome.

#3900042 - 01/23/14 12:17 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: yaan98]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Depending of what speakers or headphones you have. If 5.1, then usually the frontspeakers tend to be too loud compared to all other speakers. That's why I have reduced the volume of the frontspeakers to 50% to have it equal with the other surround speakers. Ingame I have
Engine 70
Effects 100
Cockpit 100
User I/F 100

When the engine is running, I can hardly hear the environmental sounds, like trucks and airfields etc. I can hear the effects like bullethits, AI engines and guns from the others well enough, but not too loud to be Hollywood. My own guns I can hear pretty well.

#3900073 - 01/23/14 01:21 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: yaan98]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well Creaghorn you are the "guru" of sound so I will give your settings a try,
Your description sounds like just what I was looking for.

#3900177 - 01/23/14 09:55 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: yaan98]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Forgot to mention that I have additional controls for volumes for each speaker, so best would be for you, if you have 5.1 speakers to set your Center Speaker to 50% in windows. All other speakers, front LR, rear LR set to 100%
if you do so then set engine volume to 40 or 50 in WS. That should do.

#3900186 - 01/23/14 10:41 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: yaan98]  
Lanzfeld113 Offline
Lanzfeld113  Offline

PA, USA
Cool. Great idea for a thread. Lets everyone compare.

Of course in real life you cannot hear anything but your own engine and wind noise from an open cockpit airplane. You cant hear another aircraft flying information with you. I have tried. No way.

This is something that ROF really messed up and I wanted them to change it for years.....but they wouldn't.

WOFF seems to have done it correctly. I imagine when you hear the explosions from the front (the big arty guns) you are more feeling them rather than hearing them.

Last edited by Lanzfeld113; 01/23/14 10:42 AM.
#3900217 - 01/23/14 11:45 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: Lanzfeld113]  
nibbio Offline
nibbio  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted By: Lanzfeld113
Of course in real life you cannot hear anything but your own engine and wind noise from an open cockpit airplane. You cant hear another aircraft flying information with you. I have tried. No way.

As often mentioned by pilots in their memoirs they were able to hear the MGs of other aircraft firing as well, but I agree that, apart from that, they could hear little else besides their own engine and the wind. Likely they also used ear plugs to protect their hearing from the engine and wind noise... I'm going to move from ambient to realistic settings.

Can someone shed some light on the "pilot kill" and "pilot wound" effect? Sometimes when I shoot an enemy I hear heavy breathing in the cockpit (it sounds like someone very close is engaged in a heavy workout or maybe having sex biggrin ). Suppose that is the enemy being wounded, but it's kinda whacky to hear him panting in my cockpit smile so I'd like to change the sound...

#3900250 - 01/23/14 12:44 PM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: nibbio]  
yaan98 Offline
yaan98  Offline

Originally Posted By: nibbio
Can someone shed some light on the "pilot kill" and "pilot wound" effect? Sometimes when I shoot an enemy I hear heavy breathing in the cockpit (it sounds like someone very close is engaged in a heavy workout or maybe having sex biggrin ). Suppose that is the enemy being wounded, but it's kinda whacky to hear him panting in my cockpit smile so I'd like to change the sound...

Thanks for the tips Creaghorn wave2

For me, I can do without the panting. The red screen and health percentages are enough to know when I get injured.

So, now how can I remove my breathing sound and the enemy breathing sound (I don't want to know if I injured the guy or not) WITHOUT breaking my game.

Last edited by yaan98; 01/23/14 12:48 PM.
#3900283 - 01/23/14 02:03 PM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: yaan98]  
nibbio Offline
nibbio  Offline

Italy
@yaan98 check this thread by Hellshade: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3889902

#3900295 - 01/23/14 02:45 PM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: nibbio]  
yaan98 Offline
yaan98  Offline

@yaan98 check this thread by Hellshade: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3889902

nibbio- Yeah, I remember that was a funny post.

But I'm wondering if it's as simple as just removing only the pilothit*.wav files (for me + enemy sounds), or do I need to alter the effects.xml file in any way (without screwing things up, of course)?

EDIT: Creaghorn's suggestions turned out to be just right. thumbsup

Last edited by yaan98; 01/23/14 02:50 PM.
#3900312 - 01/23/14 03:18 PM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: yaan98]  
nibbio Offline
nibbio  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted By: yaan98

nibbio- Yeah, I remember that was a funny post.

But I'm wondering if it's as simple as just removing only the pilothit*.wav files (for me + enemy sounds), or do I need to alter the effects.xml file in any way (without screwing things up, of course)?

EDIT: Creaghorn's suggestions turned out to be just right. thumbsup

play it safe: don't edit the effects.xml, don't remove the files, just replace them with "silent" wav files

#3900337 - 01/23/14 03:57 PM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: nibbio]  
yaan98 Offline
yaan98  Offline

play it safe: don't edit the effects.xml, don't remove the files, just replace them with "silent" wav files

Good advice. Thanks. yep

#3900588 - 01/24/14 12:11 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: yaan98]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Cregahorn,

Do you have any sound volume suggestions for those of us who use headphones?
I've been using the 'Realistic" mix in workshops.

Yaan,

The one change I made was to replace the dreaded air raid siren, as I did in OFF.
Hearing that thing at 10,000 feet just didn't do it for me.

I used a free utility, AudioBlast, to mute the sound. Not sure if it matters but as the airraidsiren file was larger (250k),
I substituted a muted Bird chirp (3k in size) and renamed it.

All in all, I think WOFF's sounds top notch. I wonder if they would be better with a higher sound card?

Attached Files Officer and dog at grave color large.jpgWavans panorama.jpgRawlinson Congrats on desk.jpgHannover approach.jpgJasta 5.jpgGreentails.jpgDidnt see him.jpgRacing accross the lines.jpgFateful portions of death.jpg55 CCS War diary August 13-21, 1918.jpgVecquemont plan close.jpgCairnes Park Ohara woods.jpgBertangles bombing 24 Aug, Sawyer.jpgMountStQuentinByArthurStreeton.jpgHotel des anglais.jpg
Last edited by epower; 10/01/21 12:49 AM.
#3901022 - 01/24/14 05:52 PM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: yaan98]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
With headphones you mean Stereo? Because often Headohones are have also 5.1 or 7.1

Actually I don't know cause i'm using 5.1 setups, speakers and headphones, but in stereo it should be easier to find the right balance since all is merged into two speakers. Just try and see what for you feels best. Some want to have more Hollywood, some want to hear only the own engine. Just play with the WS settings and try.

#3901289 - 01/25/14 01:37 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: yaan98]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Thanks Creaghorn. I'm using Audiophile headphones and onboard sound so I think it's Stereo and not 5.1 or 7.1.

I will muck about and see if I can improve on the stock setup of "Realistic Sounds"

Are you using a dedicated higher end sound card or onboard?

Attached Files Hazell Poach.jpgGreentail.jpgHannover.jpgCantin smoking.jpgRumpler plink fuel tank.jpgGlider.jpgDown at Senlis.jpg4 holes.jpgFokkers dancing.jpgFokker 2.jpgA bit eager Horace.jpgSeymour nailed him.jpgCorbie ruins.jpgWoods Aero on desk.jpgEliza note 11 Sept 1918.jpg
Last edited by epower; 10/07/21 08:57 PM.
#3901360 - 01/25/14 05:54 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: yaan98]  
Andy73 Offline
Andy73  Offline

Germany
Since I also create Sound-Mods, I would always prefer a Sound-Card. A "heavy" Model it does not have to be necessarily, there are very good Sound-Cards in the 50 to 80 Euro Range. I would always prefer a Sound-Card to Onboard-Sound. The differences are actually heard... In Addition, the Processor is not loaded therewith.

winkngrin

#3901385 - 01/25/14 07:05 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: Lanzfeld113]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Of course in real life you cannot hear anything but your own engine and wind noise from an open cockpit airplane.
...and probably my guns, very near AI engines and near flak explosions.

That's where I'm trying to get to, so I'm running:

Engine: 100
Effects: 0
Cockpit: 100
User I/F: 100

But I would like to bring back some of the effects like wind, near flak explosions, anything I would really hear but nothing I shouldn't hear with the engine running (and I'd like to hear the dog barking, etc after I kill my engine). I'm not going to add it to the wish list yet, but when things settle down I'm going to wish for a "real deal" sound setting in Workshop as there's just too many pieces to try to put it together by editing sound files.

I guess for now I'll start increasing the Effects level to see what I start picking up first.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#3901399 - 01/25/14 08:08 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: KodiakJac]  
Andy73 Offline
Andy73  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort
Of course in real life you cannot hear anything but your own engine and wind noise from an open cockpit airplane.

But I would like to bring back some of the effects like wind, near flak explosions, anything I would really hear but nothing I shouldn't hear with the engine running (and I'd like to hear the dog barking, etc after I kill my engine). I'm not going to add it to the wish list yet, but when things settle down I'm going to wish for a "real deal" sound setting in Workshop as there's just too many pieces to try to put it together by editing sound files.

I guess for now I'll start increasing the Effects level to see what I start picking up first.

Bucksnort, this is a thing that could only get managed in the Sound-XML File. Tweaking this file is a lot of work and you need much time. You must change different Values for the Distances, Stereo or Mono, Random or not, and so on. This XML-File is a beast.
I know this, because I've made a Sound-Mod for Phase 3 some time ago. And since this Mod was finished, it took nearly 3 Months. And even today I'm still tweaking some files again and again.

But, it's not impossible and it can be done. But you need time... Perhaps I can help you out exitstageleft

#3901404 - 01/25/14 08:26 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: Andy73]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Andy73
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort

Bucksnort, this is a thing that could only get managed in the Sound-XML File. Tweaking this file is a lot of work and you need much time. You must change different Values for the Distances, Stereo or Mono, Random or not, and so on. This XML-File is a beast.
I know this, because I've made a Sound-Mod for Phase 3 some time ago. And since this Mod was finished, it took nearly 3 Months. And even today I'm still tweaking some files again and again.

But, it's not impossible and it can be done. But you need time... Perhaps I can help you out exitstageleft

Hi Andy,

That would be fantastic. If you do it for yourself please keep me in the loop. I don't know anything about sound files and its beyond me. But it would be great to have full real sounds...where you hear the dog barking or trucks going by after you kill the engine (all that is great), but only things you should hear when the engine is running. I can't imagine all the work it would take! I'll bet it would be a popular mod smile2

#3901411 - 01/25/14 09:17 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: yaan98]  
Andy73 Offline
Andy73  Offline

Germany
I will try out what I can do for the Community. But as I said, this will take it's time...

#3902205 - 01/27/14 02:06 AM Re: Tweaking sounds [Re: Creaghorn]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Creaghorn
Depending of what speakers or headphones you have. If 5.1, then usually the frontspeakers tend to be too loud compared to all other speakers. That's why I have reduced the volume of the frontspeakers to 50% to have it equal with the other surround speakers. Ingame I have
Engine 70
Effects 100
Cockpit 100
User I/F 100

When the engine is running, I can hardly hear the environmental sounds, like trucks and airfields etc. I can hear the effects like bullethits, AI engines and guns from the others well enough, but not too loud to be Hollywood. My own guns I can hear pretty well.

I tried your settings above just now and they worked really well. Didn't hear anything around me as I came in for my landing, but when I killed the engine I suddenly heard the truck driving past the hangers to my right and some birds. It was very realistic. I'm going to experiment rolling Effects back a little more but these settings are a good place to start. Thanks smile2

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.