Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3894254 - 01/13/14 02:49 AM Scourge of War: WATERLOO is Coming!  
Destraex Offline
Destraex  Offline

http://the-strategy-wargamer.tumblr.com/

Holy mother of strategy!! I will be getting this one for sure.

""BIG NEWS! Scourge of War: WATERLOO is Coming!

Yes your read it right! Scourge of War: WATERLOO has been officially announced by NorbSoftDev.
How do I get your podcast going?""

At 1:22 there are screenshots of the waterloo scenery!!
[youtube]Qp_tebpHqIY[/youtube]

Nice stuff Jean!!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3894364 - 01/13/14 12:42 PM Re: Scourge of War: WATERLOO is Coming! [Re: Destraex]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Is it going to a 'looking at a boring map for the entire game' game or a proper game?

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3894514 - 01/13/14 05:32 PM Re: Scourge of War: WATERLOO is Coming! [Re: Mace71]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Is it going to a 'looking at a boring map for the entire game' game or a proper game?

Although I do not agree with you wink the scourge of war games are 3d RTS, check out the others in the series smile

#3894566 - 01/13/14 06:44 PM Re: Scourge of War: WATERLOO is Coming! [Re: Destraex]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Ah, I miss the hexagonal, turn based war games like the "V For Victory" series.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3894762 - 01/14/14 02:32 AM Re: Scourge of War: WATERLOO is Coming! [Re: Mace71]  
Destraex Offline
Destraex  Offline

What is the international definition of a proper game map? This is a simulation site and this is as close as it gets apart from histwar to a simulation rather than a hex based ugo\igo affair. I am afraid I do not understand what you mean sar!

I am half way through the interview. But they mention a sandbox mode that lets you zoom out to a campaign map that IS NOT abstracted like total war. They have something in mind along the lines of NATO style symbols for this. They are hoping if they succeed with this zoom out style map that you will be able to play all of the battles surrounding waterloo and waterloo on your own terms with whatever forces you actually manage to get there.

The game is due on the anniversary of waterloo in 2015 so whatever they have finished by then will be in game.

They have a dedicated employee from the mod community making MOD tools so that people will be able to make there own maps with a map tool and modify the AI. They apparently after waterloo do not want to have to program the AI again themselves for whatever expansions they do. They are aware that from the start of the napoleonic wars to the end tactics changed markedly and thus the AI and formations must do so as well... meaning great changes to the AI.

Apparently they have had to think of a whole new way of getting sprite uniforms in game because of the shere variety of uniforms napoleonic warfare has in comparison to the ACW.

Considering the well established napoleonic mod for scourge of war gettysburg imho this waterloo game is a no brainer.

You take the reasonable graphics of the scourge of war engine and hopefully the continuation of COOP multiplay with the combined arms tactics necessary for napoleonic warfare and this is a no brainer for me.

However for people who are fans of the scourge of war games and it's (american) civil war content this could be a deal breaker for them. Even the devs themselves seem to only just be learning the basics of napoleonic warfare. Thus they have apparently brought on some experts with the similar passion to their civil war fans. To the extent of saying that some napoleonic experts are even more crazy than civil war experts. One guy they have used to or currently goes past the waterloo battlefield every morning!!

What will be interesting is how this shapes up against histwar 2. When is histwar 2 out?

The pics from the video that norbsoft showed...

Last edited by Destraex; 01/14/14 02:33 AM.
#3895216 - 01/14/14 09:00 PM Re: Scourge of War: WATERLOO is Coming! [Re: Destraex]  
Skoop Offline
Skoop  Offline

Ventura, CalifornIA
Histwar 2 is out. it's a buy now play in alpha project with weekly patches adding improvements. It's pretty playable now and the new graphics engine is great.

#3896351 - 01/16/14 07:01 PM Re: Scourge of War: WATERLOO is Coming! [Re: Skoop]  
BadKarma1001 Offline
BadKarma1001  Offline

Landau, Germany
Originally Posted By: Skoop
Histwar 2 is out. it's a buy now play in alpha project with weekly patches adding improvements. It's pretty playable now and the new graphics engine is great.

Tried the demo and imho it is just no fun to play on the contrary its tideous!

#3896469 - 01/16/14 10:37 PM Re: Scourge of War: WATERLOO is Coming! [Re: Destraex]  
Skoop Offline
Skoop  Offline

Ventura, CalifornIA
It's definately a very different game. You can micro manage every detail or you can just give corps order and sit back and watch them follow under the specified doctrine. There's something unique about it I really like. As a player of many wargames I'd like to see some more on screen visual aids in the 3d mode like texts or symbols that let you know what's going on at a glance. You can get a quick mouse over to help with unit info as it is but it gets disoriented at times with situational awareness. I guess that's the point of this sim is to command from the saddle like Napoleon or one of his corps commanders. It would be nice to have both grog level realism or slick RTS player UI aids that could be turned off for preference.

#3906166 - 02/03/14 01:03 AM Re: Scourge of War: WATERLOO is Coming! [Re: Destraex]  
xanth Offline
xanth  Offline

It's good to hear these guys are making a Napoleonic Wargame. IMHO, there hasn't been a decent Napoleonic game since Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory (ANGV) which unfortunately runs too fast even with slowdown tweaks on a modern computer .

I was exited about Histwar when it was in development, but very underwhelmed when it came out.

#3906351 - 02/03/14 01:12 PM Re: Scourge of War: WATERLOO is Coming! [Re: Destraex]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Destraex

What is the international definition of a proper game map? This is a simulation site and this is as close as it gets apart from histwar to a simulation rather than a hex based ugo\igo affair. I am afraid I do not understand what you mean sar!

I mean not looking at a top down map, as all that simulates is looking at a map and as I know lots of people like that I don't smile

But it appears this is not like that.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.