Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3895780 - 01/15/14 09:17 PM My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron  
Tailspinner Offline
Tailspinner  Offline

Pennsylvania
The following is my encounter in WOFF with Jasta 11 and the Richthofen brothers! I hope you enjoy reading as much as I have writing and reliving the moment.

I joined RFC No. 56 Squadron as a fighter pilot on January 3, 1917 at Hounslow Field on brief Homeland Defense. Flew 2 sorties patrolling the air between aerodromes over the homeland. Both flights yielded no enemy scraps but had my S.E.5 find engine trouble. Landed at home airfield without power on first sortie and had to land at the closest aerodrome which our flight was patrolling on the second sortie where I was injured upon crashing into trees when landing and hospitalized for 11 days. During this time a transfer was issued to the front at Vert Galand, Flanders. I did not fly the mission due to hospital stay and arrived On April 1st by other means of transportation. I was immediately sent out on a Recon sortie over the front that yielded no scrap with the enemy and all flight members including Recon returned safely and landed at home field. My second sortie was quite different and probably the most exciting I've ever flown including OFF and ROF.

I received my orders on April 15th, 1917 to fly as the flight leader of a two man emergency patrol over the front at 9h54, as the soldiers at the front wired in that there was enemy air activity over their sector. My wingman is Lieutenant Maurice Alfred Kay. His moral is good and has plenty of promise for the future as pilot with no kills or claims to date. We are flying with the Elite No. 56 Squadron so his moral should be good! Our flight takes off at exactly 9h54 and takes 13 minutes to reach altitude and destination. It is a partly cloudy day with cumulus on the horizon and light wind from the west. Our machines are steady as we climb in circles to our commissioned altitude. I begin our mission at 2x advancement scanning the skies for enemy activity and dancing amongst the clouds. We finally reach our patrol destination over the front where the soldiers spotted the enemy planes. I circle in patrol of the area and after a short while spot 4 dots over the enemy positions on the ground amongst heavy flak smoke. I climb slightly higher and zoom in to take a closer look. Ahhh, they are our friends! There are 2 B.E.2's covered slightly above by two Nieuport 17 approximately 3.5m away. With the sun to our backs and still scanning the skies, I can see 5 additional blips above and in front of our friends. I zoom in to take a closer look and spot 5 German Albatross D.III's approximately 4m away gaining altitude and turning in the direction of the B.E.2's.

With my wingman, I race towards the soon to happen scrap. As I zoom in to take a closer look, their is no mistaken who these chaps are as a RED painted Albatross is leading the group.

I turn on Labels to reveal my nemesis and confirm that this is truly Manfred Von Richthofen himself and the his cronies from Jasta 11. Along with Manfred is his brother Lothar, Kurt Wolf, Karl Allmanroder and one unidentified Jasta 11 pilot. They are closing in fast. My heart is pounding and hands are shaking as I make the decision to fight. I climb slightly higher with sun to my back to gain full advantage.

I command my wingman to engage Lothar Von Richthofen and I will attack Manfred. Kurt, Karl and the other German pilot are engaging the B.E.2's and their scrap between the Nieuports ensue.

I have my sights on Manfred and quickly turn and rear up on him as I have total air superiority. I let loose my Lewis and Vickers guns and shower Manfred's plane with at least 40 to 60 rounds.

I turn to watch my six and notice that my wingman has dove away from the fight and Lothar is rearing up on my tail from a moderate distance.

I turn and fire more rounds at the Baron and his plane rear's up and catches flames.

At the same moment, I see bullets flying by me and hear the tearing and ripping of my crate only to look back and see Lothar exacting revenge on me for his brothers plight. I start to see light red and my breath is heavy. My health immediately drops to 79% and I have to turn and dive drastically to shake Lothar off my tail. I signal for Maurice to help me but cannot find anyone of the allied or enemy pilots including the Baron or Maurice in the vicinity. It is all happening so quickly! Lothar is fast on my tail firing at will, but my machines engine is still healthy and I know it is faster than the Albatross D.III. I continue to dive and turn for my side of the lines over No Man's Land in a slight dive twisting and turning to gain more speed as I cannot shake Lothar off my tail.

Suddenly, my wingman dives to my rescue as we are now on our side of the front. At this point I can see two other Albatross diving in as well. Lothar makes the decision to turn and break for his side of the lines as I have gained a significant lead over his chase and carrying him over unfriendly allied ground fire. I am sweating and shaking at the controls. my heart is still pounding away. I check my gauges and health which is steady at 79% and my S.E.5 is strong with no major damage which allows me to return to our home base. Maurice and I make the trip back at real time as I am enjoying my pilot's life over friendly territory and thinking about everything that just came to fruition. Eventually we circle and land at our home base together.

I file my report and claim one Red painted Albatross thought to be the great German pilot Baron Manfred Von Richthofen. This will take time to get approved as I only have one witness and the papers did not yet claim that the Baron has been downed or killed in action. I am hospitalized for 13 days due to my wounds. My S.E.5 is slightly damaged and being repaired.

This mission is one of the best I've flown in all WWI and II flight sims to date. As realistic as it can get. This may be a tacky comment, but I actually felt like a pilot fighting for prestige and life all at the same time. It doesn't come any closer than that to experiencing real life combat and emotion with the immersive WOFF. Also, to feel what went through the minds and capture the experience of a WWI aeroplane pilot and fight against the greatest German Jasta of WWI. I hope to meet up with them again soon!!

Many thanks again to the OBD team for creating one of the most excellent and exciting flight sims in history to date, hands down simply the best all around experience one can enjoy!!

#3895782 - 01/15/14 09:26 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Tailspinner]  
Akula Offline
Akula  Offline

Vienna/Austria
Great Story.
Gratulations to your Claim.

Shoot down my first Ace today:

Georges Pelletier d'Oisy

Not one of the best,but an French Ace.

#3895783 - 01/15/14 09:31 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Tailspinner]  
Polovski Online content
Polovski  Online Content

Hotshot

Great write up Tailspinner - that's what it's all about. Forget the rivets and get stuck in to the immersive world around you !

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#3895786 - 01/15/14 09:37 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Tailspinner]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

I Read your story twice Tailspinner...word for word,Awesome mate just Awesome salute

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#3895788 - 01/15/14 09:40 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Tailspinner]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

Great history, great flight!! cheers

#3895792 - 01/15/14 09:50 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Tailspinner]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
13 days in the hospital is a small price to pay compared to what many other Allied pilots have paid for meeting Jasta 11 in the skies. Good shooting and nice work diving away to your own lines to escape, using the strengths of your plane to survive an encounter that otherwise surely would have ended in death.

Hats off to the Devs for creating a Lothar that 1) fights to save his brother 2) pursues his quarry as long as is feasible to do so and most importantly 3) is smart enough to know not to follow you blindly down low over Allied lines, but instead turns away to live and fight another day.

Fabulous story Tailspinner and great shots too! Must have been hard to remember to take them in the middle of such white knuckle dogfighting. I look forward to seeing more of them. WOFF is filled with surprises.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#3895802 - 01/15/14 10:21 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Polovski]  
Tailspinner Offline
Tailspinner  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Polovski
Great write up Tailspinner - that's what it's all about. Forget the rivets and get stuck in to the immersive world around you !

Pol, this one mission alone paid for WOFF many times over and all future add-ons! It is quite amazing what you and your team have accomplished here. Looking forward to the Scourge and future releases. It can only go up from here. After patch 1.11, what rivets? beercheers

#3895803 - 01/15/14 10:28 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Hellshade]  
Tailspinner Offline
Tailspinner  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Hellshade
13 days in the hospital is a small price to pay compared to what many other Allied pilots have paid for meeting Jasta 11 in the skies. Good shooting and nice work diving away to your own lines to escape, using the strengths of your plane to survive an encounter that otherwise surely would have ended in death.

Hats off to the Devs for creating a Lothar that 1) fights to save his brother 2) pursues his quarry as long as is feasible to do so and most importantly 3) is smart enough to know not to follow you blindly down low over Allied lines, but instead turns away to live and fight another day.

Fabulous story Tailspinner and great shots too! Must have been hard to remember to take them in the middle of such white knuckle dogfighting. I look forward to seeing more of them. WOFF is filled with surprises.

Agreed, small price to pay and second your comments about Lothar. I would be doomed at lower altitude for sure. We had everything on our side going into the fight including the other flight to deter our presence hiding in the sun's glare.

As soon as I realized who the German pilots were I paused to reflect on everything I wanted to do. So if it weren't for the pause button none of this would have been capable, but only used it sparingly as I wanted to enjoy this fight too and share as much with the forum as I could without loosing sight. Glad everyone enjoyed the story. I certainly will for quite some time as the story cannot replace the entire mission as you know.

#3895807 - 01/15/14 10:41 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Tailspinner]  
Slick Wilhelm Offline
Slick Wilhelm  Offline

Rochester, MN
Were those tracers from an Australian machine gunner that I saw in those pics?

Hmm... stirthepot

I7-9700k@4.9 GHZ
16 GB RAM
GTX 2080 8 GB VRAM
2 x 1 TB SSD
32" Dell S3220DGF curved gaming monitor @ 2560 x 1440p @ 165 Hz
Sound BlasterX G6 External USB sound card
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones
Thrustmaster TM16000 FCS HOTAS
Logitec Pro Flight Pedals
TrackIR 5
#3895811 - 01/15/14 10:52 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Slick Wilhelm]  
Tailspinner Offline
Tailspinner  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Slick Wilhelm
Were those tracers from an Australian machine gunner that I saw in those pics?

Hmm... stirthepot

Good one Slick W! Never thought of that. Maybe history will repeat itself and award the pilot the claim and Victorian Cross too!

#3895816 - 01/15/14 11:04 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Tailspinner]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Good story smile
It will be good if you get the claim verified, what an accolade!... but you won't have killed him, as he is fated to die on 21 April 1918... Hope you survive that long in the campaign!!!

#3895818 - 01/15/14 11:07 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Trooper117]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: TROOPER117
Good story smile
It will be good if you get the claim verified, what an accolade!... but you won't have killed him, as he is fated to die on 21 April 1918... Hope you survive that long in the campaign!!!

True...but nothing says that Tailspinner can't be the one who kills him on 21 April 1918. Now wouldn't THAT be a story to tell!

#3895822 - 01/15/14 11:19 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Hellshade]  
Tailspinner Offline
Tailspinner  Offline

Pennsylvania
Good story smile

True...but nothing says that Tailspinner can't be the one who kills him on 21 April 1918. Now wouldn't THAT be a story to tell!

Yes true, but if given the chance in 1917 knowing what I know today, I just may have taken him out before his time was up in real life!! That's the beauty in this fantasy world! I hope everyone get's the chance if not already to experience what I have in WOFF. Simply amazing is all I can say and something I will not forget. I truly felt like I was fighting for life and glory all at the same time. If it weren't for the pauses, I'd be right there right now. What more can a simmer ask for. To boot, only Aris cloud mod and a smoking hot rig using the new GTX 780 TI OC GPU (highly recommended). Not to mentioned patch 1.11!

#3895826 - 01/15/14 11:28 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Tailspinner]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
lol... unfortunately we can't alter history in game. I believe they only die on their correct dates, is that correct?

#3895830 - 01/15/14 11:39 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Trooper117]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
lol... unfortunately we can't alter history in game. I believe they only die on their correct dates, is that correct?

That is correct. That's why I said maybe Tailspinner will be the one to actually take out the good Baron on April 21st. Aces will die on their actual date in history but nothing says a player can't be the one to do it.

#3895833 - 01/15/14 11:49 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Tailspinner]  
Falcon988 Offline
Falcon988  Offline

I liked it in Red Baron 3D when aces could die, but it created a whole slew of problems. I once went on a patrol with Jasta 11 where pretty much everyone in the squadron died and nobody historical was left.

WOFF's compromise is best.

JAVITO1986 on the CombatAce forums!
#3895835 - 01/15/14 11:57 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Hellshade]  
Tailspinner Offline
Tailspinner  Offline

Pennsylvania

That is correct. That's why I said maybe Tailspinner will be the one to actually take out the good Baron on April 21st. Aces will die on their actual date in history but nothing says a player can't be the one to do it.

I am going to do my best to get to April, 1918 with this RFC No. 56 Pilot. It has become personal now. Weird how a 49 year old male can be transformed emotionally by a flight sim. I have read many many great WWI books including Time Life's Knight's of the Air (highly recommended) and somehow feel connected to this era. Makes one wonder, spiritually, if reincarnation truly exists!!!

#3895836 - 01/15/14 11:58 PM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Falcon988]  
Tailspinner Offline
Tailspinner  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Falcon988
I liked it in Red Baron 3D when aces could die, but it created a whole slew of problems. I once went on a patrol with Jasta 11 where pretty much everyone in the squadron died and nobody historical was left.

WOFF's compromise is best.

Agreed!

#3895841 - 01/16/14 12:11 AM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: Tailspinner]  
BrianRubin Offline
BrianRubin  Offline

Los Angeles, CA
Wonderful story, Tailspinner, thanks for sharing it, and congrats on your kill!

#3895843 - 01/16/14 12:18 AM Re: My scrap with Jasta 11 & The Red Baron [Re: BrianRubin]  
Tailspinner Offline
Tailspinner  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: BrianRubin
Wonderful story, Tailspinner, thanks for sharing it, and congrats on your kill!

BR, thank you, but not confirmed yet! Like Slick W mentioned, it might go to the Australian gunner in the end. duckhunter

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM