Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3895692 - 01/15/14 07:02 PM Some simple panels  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

I have a thread here about my simp it build, a project sadly come to a halt mainly due to lack of space.
I don't have access to a garage or similar to use during the build and at the time I though I would be able to do the build at home in my rather small apartment, but fact is its just isn't possible, and even if it was my apartment is to small even for a simple SimLight so for the time being, that project is on ice.

But I still play some games/sims and I'm itching more then ever for some immersion and instead of a big simp it I'm focusing on something smaller, a desk pit of some sort.

I have some plans drawn out in sketch up (and on some notepads) and have decided to start with the fun part; Switchpanels =)
I won't be updating this thread very often but ill start by saying that after some trial and errors, scouting for materials in stores and acquiring some much needed tools I've decided on a fairly quick and simple way to make my panels.

Its a common design with two pieces of acrylic with a graphical inlay between.

ICP and the first panel, which will control power to possible MFD/backlighting/external lighting.

I know its a bit rough and nowhere near the real deal, but Im very happy with the results considering the small amount of time and money invested.
I have ordered a fairly big load of switches and buttons that will fit nicely (after much reading and scouting) but due to shortage ill have to wait a few weeks for them to arrive.

Im planning on using Leo Bodnars BBI32 for this, three of them will be enough to control the panels ill be able to fit to this project.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3895723 - 01/15/14 07:46 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Good luck with this. ...will be monitoring progress with interest.

I've made various button boxes over the years.....functional but never pretty. It always makes me want to create more when I see other people's creations.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#3895779 - 01/15/14 09:16 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Paradaz]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

Yeah, this is a compromise of function and looks.
They look and feel pretty good (the pics don't do them justice) although not realistic in any sense. They are, however, very cheap and quick to make.
The only thing I'm unsure about is how to do the backlighting.
My plan was to just light them from behind with green LEDs but the light simply doesn't shine through the paper.
With enough intensity it DOES light up the panel, but it lights through the black parts as well making the entire panel look a greyish tone.

I will try printing them on transparent printer sheets with hope that the light will get through the white areas (text/outline) much more then the black areas. If all else fails ill just ditch the backlighting altogether, aside from being a "cool thing" it won't be much useful on my rig =)

#3896036 - 01/16/14 09:24 AM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Not intending to burst your bubble, but have you considered using a touchscreen monitor? Much easier making panels in Helios, and you can do the entire suite of switches and knobs all for the cost of one monitor.

- Ice
#3896172 - 01/16/14 02:51 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: - Ice]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

No worries =)
And yeah, I've thought about it. Its a rather quick and easy way to get full functionality from all instruments and that is indeed tempting.
For a while I had my iPad setup as my ICP.
But Im much more into physical controllers, it gives me a great deal of immersion that a virtual environment doesn't.
And I do enjoy the building as well.

But I'm not counting the possibility away as i haven't figured out how to do the MFDs yet.

#3896215 - 01/16/14 04:16 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Have you seen my Helios profile for BMS? Basically you have the entire left, center, and right set of switches and knobs, plus some pages for data cards and hopefully other charts as well. I've stopped using my Cougar MFDs as I put the MFD right inside the Helios profile. I essentially have a fully-working center console with instruments, MFDs, ICP, and other switches. I did start with an iPad and a small touchscreen monitor but it wasn't long before I knew I needed a bigger screen. Less "lag" compared to the iPad solutions as well.

I do agree with you that a physical switch/knob is much better if nothing but for the tactile response (using the knobs can be a challenge!), that is why I made my .key file so that all switches/knobs will give an audible response when triggered.

In any case, good luck with your build and I look forward to more pics! Don't hesitate to message me if you'd like to know more about touchscreen and Helios though!

- Ice
#3896911 - 01/17/14 03:41 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

Got some more panels done.
These together with a yet to be decided MFD solution will bring many of the most useful controls to my desk.
I still have three panels left for the right side (symmetrical to the left ones) but ill have to figure out what controls to put on them.

#3897770 - 01/18/14 11:00 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

You might want a Master Caution button as well? And a Alt Gear handle/button as well, this blows the landing gear down, useful when nursing a damaged bird home. As for the right panel, the HUD panel can be very useful in clearing/setting up the HUD during A-G work as some symbology can get in the way.

- Ice
#3897997 - 01/19/14 11:18 AM Re: Some simple panels [Re: - Ice]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

Originally Posted By: - Ice
You might want a Master Caution button as well? And a Alt Gear handle/button as well, this blows the landing gear down, useful when nursing a damaged bird home. As for the right panel, the HUD panel can be very useful in clearing/setting up the HUD during A-G work as some symbology can get in the way.

Good ideas, didn't even think about the master caution!

#3898285 - 01/19/14 11:48 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Oh, and while you're at it, a slap switch might be handy as well.

- Ice
#3898720 - 01/20/14 07:57 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

Slap switch, forgive my noobiness but what is that?

All panels are finished now though, and im eagerly awaiting the arrival of buttons and switches. One pack will most likely arrive this week, the rest is a few weeks away.

#3899142 - 01/21/14 05:21 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

Got some of the switches today so heres some pics of the panels with switches on!
LG switch is to be changed for another kind with a safety cap, and other minor changes in buttons/switches will be done.
And if I get some free time I'm gonna redo the graphics on some panels and at that time ill be polishing some of the more rough edges that happened on some of the panels.
The blade I'm using is for rough wood and not plastic, and while it works great most of the times it occasionally shreds the plastic somewhat.

Anyways, I'm happy with the result as well as the design of these!
Im wondering how they will work with backlighting though…

#3899361 - 01/21/14 11:26 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Nice work!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3899945 - 01/22/14 09:30 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Nice job, they turned out great.

#3900389 - 01/23/14 05:29 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

OOOOoooooo..... sweet! Any chance of pics from the back of the panels? Might be a good idea to put a ruler or something to show scale for both the panels and the switches/buttons too. In fact, you might want to post details of the switches/buttons in case others are interested in building their own.

A slap switch is a button at the left side of the cockpit near the throttle and is tied to Program 5 of the CMDS. I set it as my "panic countermeasures" button and each press dispenses 1 chaff and 1 flare. This way, you have 3 countermeasure programs at your fingertips... program 1-4 as set in your CMDS panel via CMS Forward, program 6 via CMS Left, and program 5 via the slap switch.

Hope that helps!

- Ice
#3900432 - 01/23/14 06:30 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: - Ice]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

OOOOoooooo..... sweet! Any chance of pics from the back of the panels? Might be a good idea to put a ruler or something to show scale for both the panels and the switches/buttons too. In fact, you might want to post details of the switches/buttons in case others are interested in building their own.

A slap switch is a button at the left side of the cockpit near the throttle and is tied to Program 5 of the CMDS. I set it as my "panic countermeasures" button and each press dispenses 1 chaff and 1 flare. This way, you have 3 countermeasure programs at your fingertips... program 1-4 as set in your CMDS panel via CMS Forward, program 6 via CMS Left, and program 5 via the slap switch.

Hope that helps!

Ah I see, sounds useful indeed!
Well theres not enough room for these panels to add any more switches without making it too narrow and clumsy so ill have to slap something else when the time comes =)

When I get about making the actual housing for the panels, it will be possible to add additional space for panels stretching backwards. I will decide upon this when I get there since I think it will take up too much room on my desk and interfere with other daily work.

Im still waiting for the second batch of buttons and switches but when they arrive ill make sure to take some more pics and put up a more detailed description on how I made these.

#3900662 - 01/24/14 03:50 AM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
RogueSqdn Offline
USAF Veteran
RogueSqdn  Offline
USAF Veteran

Advance, NC
Just wanted to give you a shot of one I just finished, the MISC panel. It's in two parts: a 5mm underlayment plywood layer that the switches are mounted to, and a 1/4" MDF top layer. The backs on the holes on the MDF are countersunk, allowing it to lay flat against the bottom layer of plywood, while hiding the nuts that hold the switches on.

Jared
-----
FalconNW MachV, Obutto R3volution

DEFENSOR FORTIS

#3900700 - 01/24/14 06:44 AM Re: Some simple panels [Re: RogueSqdn]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

Originally Posted By: RogueSqdn
Just wanted to give you a shot of one I just finished, the MISC panel. It's in two parts: a 5mm underlayment plywood layer that the switches are mounted to, and a 1/4" MDF top layer. The backs on the holes on the MDF are countersunk, allowing it to lay flat against the bottom layer of plywood, while hiding the nuts that hold the switches on.

Nice!
I too wanted to make the panels the same design as the f16, more true to life, but since im doing my best to preserve space I had to throw that idea out the window =/

What switch do you use for the tripple stage toggles like AP and Master Arm?

#3900752 - 01/24/14 10:47 AM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
RogueSqdn Offline
USAF Veteran
RogueSqdn  Offline
USAF Veteran

Advance, NC
Don't remember the part number, but I got my switches mostly from Digikey and some from RadioShack. You can use any SPDT or DPDT that is ON OFF ON.

Each of those requires two connections on the board.

Jared
-----
FalconNW MachV, Obutto R3volution

DEFENSOR FORTIS

#3921142 - 03/06/14 05:43 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

Been a few weeks full of stuff do to and attend but now I've ordered the BBI-32s that'll control the sim for me!

Guess they'll be a week or two away but ill better start thinking about how to build the housing for the panels.
Oh yeah, the second batch of buttons/switches arrived a few weeks ago and i got everything fitted now.

But ill come with a bigger update later since I'm redoing the graphics a lil bit and at the same time ill make something of a DIY guide

#3921332 - 03/07/14 01:34 AM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
Cali Offline
Military Advisor - USAF
Cali  Offline
Military Advisor - USAF

Davis-Monthan AFB, Az
Nice work, I have a friend in town that is going to help me with mine. His dad has a CNC machine, but I'm getting the bug and want to start building already. I have about 12 switches and buttons wired up, just need to get some more wire. I plan on taking my current pit apart in 2 weeks to do some cutting and rearranging.

i5-2500k @ 3.3, Asus P8Z77-V LE mobo Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB 1866mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, Warthog, uber modded Cougar, TM Cougar MFD's, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard

#3921508 - 03/07/14 03:02 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

I know that bug!

What I've learned, however, is that if I start compromising on things (such as tools for the trade, correct material etc) it will end up with me not being satisfied with the result and the whole project just dies.

If you got a friend who will help you with a CNC and whatnot, then for the love of the project wait for it before starting yourself!
You won't regret it! It'll be worth every sleepless daydreaming minute =)

#3921511 - 03/07/14 03:03 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

On that note, compromising is not a bad idea as long as its done while still planning the project.

For me, an example would be trying to cut out the pieces with whatever tools i have laying around, instead of waiting a week and using a professional cutter as it becomes available at work.

#3921819 - 03/08/14 08:45 AM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
Cali Offline
Military Advisor - USAF
Cali  Offline
Military Advisor - USAF

Davis-Monthan AFB, Az
The panels I get from him will fit into my pit, they'll be backlit also. I understand what you are saying about waiting. I'm not in a big hurry as I am busy for the next few months anyway. But come June, I should be done with school and I'll have a lot more time to mess around with it.

i5-2500k @ 3.3, Asus P8Z77-V LE mobo Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB 1866mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, Warthog, uber modded Cougar, TM Cougar MFD's, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard

#3931816 - 03/29/14 04:32 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

Small update, not much and sry for the bad quality pic but heres the base with the panels mounted.
Now I need to find a good way to put some stands to it and a base on which the monitor will stand. Then its sanding and grinding before painting.

In the meantime i need to start soldering wires to the switches n buttons =)
Need to find an evening with patience in its prime!

Feels good to see the project taking shape, even tho its still far from finished.

#3931821 - 03/29/14 04:42 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Nice.... though why are the AP switches buttons? IRL these are 3-way switches....

- Ice
#3931840 - 03/29/14 05:28 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: - Ice]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

Nice.... though why are the AP switches buttons? IRL these are 3-way switches....

Yeah I know but I didnt find any ON-ON-ON switches, and I was unaware that I could program a ON-OFF-ON to do the task so as of now they are buttons =)

Might redo that panel later tho

#3935080 - 04/05/14 11:33 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Looking really good Attackmack.....did you get around to attempting the backlighting for those panels? And what is underneath the black acrylic?...is it black paper?

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#3942591 - 04/21/14 08:00 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Paradaz]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

Originally Posted By: Paradaz
Looking really good Attackmack.....did you get around to attempting the backlighting for those panels? And what is underneath the black acrylic?...is it black paper?

Hi and sorry for late reply, kind of missed it completely =)
I have made some attempts with just putting light behind these and it just doesnt look good.
What I had planned was to get transperent plastic printer "paper" and print the graphical layouts onto which should give a much better block/shinethrough of the light, but alas ive decided against that idea for the time being.

These panels are simply 2 pieces of clear acrylic with a single sheet of paper inbetween with the Graphics printed on them.

#3948389 - 05/03/14 12:52 AM Re: Some simple panels [Re: Attackmack]  
doveman Offline
doveman  Offline

Surrey
Hi Attackmack

You might get some ideas from Hans Krohn's backlit panel build here:
http://www.hanskrohn.com/BuildingTips/Backlit_Panels/Backlit.htm

I wouldn't personally want to try lining up three layers of self-adhesive foil perfectly myself but you might have steadier hands than me! Anyway, it shows that nice results can be achieved if you can get the background dark enough.

Your panel looks great by the way. I'll probably do something similar myself, as I haven't got room for a full pit either, so I'll have to put all the important switches and rotaries in what space I've got.

Last edited by doveman; 05/03/14 12:54 AM.
#3952622 - 05/12/14 04:08 PM Re: Some simple panels [Re: doveman]  
Attackmack Offline
Attackmack  Offline

Originally Posted By: doveman
Hi Attackmack

You might get some ideas from Hans Krohn's backlit panel build here:
http://www.hanskrohn.com/BuildingTips/Backlit_Panels/Backlit.htm

I wouldn't personally want to try lining up three layers of self-adhesive foil perfectly myself but you might have steadier hands than me! Anyway, it shows that nice results can be achieved if you can get the background dark enough.

Your panel looks great by the way. I'll probably do something similar myself, as I haven't got room for a full pit either, so I'll have to put all the important switches and rotaries in what space I've got.

Thanks for that link. those panels sure light up beautifully!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.