Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3893529 - 01/11/14 01:44 PM A few words about WOFF  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Now that I’ve had a few weeks to explore ‘WINGS: Over Flanders Fields’ I feel the need to share a few of my thoughts on it. Let me begin by saying that WOFF is, quite simply, amazing. Until you experience it you cannot imagine what the dev team has done with the old CFS3 engine. A silk purse from a sow’s ear? Hardly. It would be far more accurate to say a silk scarf, Sidcot flying suit, leather cap, Triplex goggles, fur-lined boots and gloves, and a ‘Fums Up’ good luck charm, all from the lowly swine’s lobe.

WOFF is about immersion, and while it may fall a tad short in terms of cutting edge visuals, that is quickly forgiven as the virtual world draws you in like none other. Begin a campaign and when you get to the cockpit for the first time, just sit there for a few moments and soak it in. This is not a sterile environment in any way, shape, or form. There are things happening. You will not only see the other planes being started but you might also catch sight of a truck as it rumbles along past the hangers. Before the roar of the engines split the air you may hear a bird sing or a dog bark, possibly the “huff huff huff” of a nearby train as it steams along. By God, you can almost smell the burnt castor oil and petrol as your kite coughs to life!

Now take control of your mount and guide her into the virtual skies of the Great War, for there really is a war going on down there. The front is alive with action and not just in your little corner of it either. Shells burst, sending up walls of dirt; machine guns rattle; rifles crack. You may see a gas attack as the sickly colored clouds of death drift across the lines, or witness a tank advance through No Man’s Land. But don’t become too caught up with the action on the ground or you may miss that group of enemy scouts that are about to pounce on you, or that hostile B/R bus as it tries to slip past. You have a job to do, whether it be patrolling the skies for enemy planes or performing a recce of a target, (or a myriad of other assignments), and it’s vital you get it done. But even more important is that you survive, and that is no easy task in WOFF. If you tick all the realistic and historic settings in the Workshop you will find out just how difficult it really was for our RL counterparts to live through even the first week of their time at the front let alone survive the war. Let me just wish you “Good Luck!”, “Bonne chance!”, and “Viel Glück!” as you will need all you can get.

I am not going to get into the nuts and bolts of WOFF as that is covered superbly at both the WOFF website and in the forums, and any attempt on my part to do so would fall far short. Suffice to say that the features list is extensive as is adjustability and personalization to suit your specific taste. Nor am I posting a plethora of screenshots with this either as there are many stellar examples already available, and honestly there aren’t enough screenshots in the world to do this sim justice. And the music: I haven’t even mentioned Matt Milne’s music, (all alliterations aside). It is, in a word, transcendent.

I realize I may have reached a point here where it’s all starting to sound like platitudes and tripe so I will end by saying, as others have, that you really must experience WOFF for yourself. If you haven’t already done so take the plunge and purchase ‘WINGS: Over Flanders Fields’. If you desire immersion and if you are any kind of combat flight sim fan at all you will not be disappointed.

Cheers!

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#3893555 - 01/11/14 02:59 PM Re: A few words about WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Glubber Offline
Glubber  Offline

Very nice write-up RAF_Louvert, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Reagarding visuals, have you perused the "DirectX 8 to 9 converter" thread?

Ankor has done some nice work on slight improvements, and while the end results aren't a sure thing, he's even made some possible progress towards self-shadows (pg 9 of that thread), so the struts, wings, and other plane objects will cast shadows.

But even without, it's amazing what they've done with the engine, and immersion in this sim is like nothing I've experienced since Red Baron.

#3893558 - 01/11/14 03:04 PM Re: A few words about WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Well said Lou.

I have to add that you can't really get all that WOFF has to offer with screenshots or even videos. Each only offers a tiny snapshot of what WOFFs living world has to offer.

I've seen it happen many times where people see a video of WOFF and say "Okay, so the AI is like that..." but it isn't. I explain that that is just one way that WOFFs intelligent AI has decided to behave, in that particular situation. Things could easily have been different if the squadron had a lower or higher morale rating, or if the AI pilots skill was different, the altitudes had been reversed or you were nearer or farther from the front lines...and depending on who's side of the lines you were on. People are so used to scripted AI from other sims that it is totally understandable that they would make the mistake of thinking WOFFs AI is a "one size fits all". Then after they try it for themselves they always say "Oh...now I see! This is fantastic!" I have said since the first time I flew WOFF, the AI alone is worth the price of admission, but you get so much more than just that.

The depth of the campaign is incredible and, as has been said many times before, the immersion into WOFFs world is amazing. I cannot recommend it highly enough and all I can say is "Gentlemen, start your engines!"

You won't be disappointed.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#3893749 - 01/11/14 11:34 PM Re: A few words about WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Lou, please, carry on with WoFF maps, they are badly needed.

Thanks,
Dirk.

#3893758 - 01/12/14 12:01 AM Re: A few words about WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
CrimsonTide Offline
CrimsonTide  Offline

cheers
Lou, allow me to buy you a virtual beer. Very well said.

Crimson Tide

#3894045 - 01/12/14 05:05 PM Re: A few words about WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

popcorn I agree.

#3894988 - 01/14/14 03:11 PM Re: A few words about WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Now that I’ve had a few weeks to explore ‘WINGS: Over Flanders Fields’ I feel the need to share a few of my thoughts on it.....

Cheers!

Lou

Twood be good to post this at The Aerodrome..... cheers
Cheers,
shredward

We will remember them.
#3895004 - 01/14/14 04:04 PM Re: A few words about WOFF [Re: Shredward]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Shredward
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Now that I’ve had a few weeks to explore ‘WINGS: Over Flanders Fields’ I feel the need to share a few of my thoughts on it.....

Cheers!

Lou

Twood be good to post this at The Aerodrome..... cheers
Cheers,
shredward

True story. It's all just preaching to the choir here. Let's spread the word around. salute

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#3895281 - 01/14/14 10:50 PM Re: A few words about WOFF [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM