Forums » Technology » Flight Sim Controllers » T.A.R.G.E.T. (Thrustmaster) » Throttle acts like rudder in FSX Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3892421 - 01/09/14 09:49 AM Throttle acts like rudder in FSX
specialksl Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I have had my Warthog HOTAS for almost a year. I love it but I am finally getting into TARGET to program them and I am starting on a FSX profile. After experimenting on a few controls, I went into FSX and as I increase the throttle, it turns to the left and when I decrease, it turns to the right. I looked into the controls in FSX and I see nothing that would conflict. I do see my controls are recognized as Thrustmaster Combined.

I didn't setup anything in TARGET pertaining to configuring axes. I figured I didn't need to because they have been working perfectly. Why would they work oddly in FSX or am I missing a setting in FSX?
Intel 520 Series SSD 180GB
Plenty of storage
Windows 7 64bit
Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

#3892483 - 01/09/14 11:29 AM Re: Throttle acts like rudder in FSX [Re: specialksl]
oldgrognard Offline

Veteran

Loc: USA
How much does it turn ? Propeller aircraft will turn some as you apply power because of a couple factors.

The effect is called the P-factor and it's one of the three effects that generate a tendency to swing left (with a right-turning engine). The other two are the torque which puts more weight on the left wheel, and the spiraling propwash which hits the fin. Several factors cause either a more or less effect on individual aircraft based on their design and power. Additionally there is gyroscopic precession.

I don't know if this is modeled into FSX and it's aircraft. Try it. On takeoff as you apply power the airplane will want to go left and will need right rudder to keep it straight. Is it different for different aircraft ?

Or it could be a completely unrelated issue.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

#3892488 - 01/09/14 11:45 AM Re: Throttle acts like rudder in FSX [Re: specialksl]
specialksl Offline

Sorry. I should have specified that I was flying an F-16. No P-factor issues. P-factor is closely modeled with a prop plane but not with jets.
Plenty of storage
Windows 7 64bit

#3892491 - 01/09/14 11:47 AM Re: Throttle acts like rudder in FSX [Re: specialksl]
oldgrognard Offline

Veteran

Loc: USA
OK, then it is a completely unrelated issue and I have no insight.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

#3892706 - 01/09/14 04:17 PM Re: Throttle acts like rudder in FSX [Re: specialksl]
Ssnake51 Offline

Loc: California
Have you tried using your Warthog HOTAS in FSX without the target software? Since FSX can see more than one controller, you should at least be able to get all the axis assigned properly without relying on target.

#3892724 - 01/09/14 04:48 PM Re: Throttle acts like rudder in FSX [Re: Ssnake51]
Paradaz Offline

Loc: Andover, UK
Originally Posted By: Ssnake51
Have you tried using your Warthog HOTAS in FSX without the target software? Since FSX can see more than one controller, you should at least be able to get all the axis assigned properly without relying on target.

I think the main factor is that he is attempting to use/learn the TARGET software and profiles though.....could this be a reference to how some games see either a controller's z-slider or z-rotation for the throttle?...and the axis mapping needs to be swapped around?

#3892732 - 01/09/14 04:52 PM Re: Throttle acts like rudder in FSX [Re: specialksl]
specialksl Offline

I works fine in FSX. Its when I am using TARGET that causes the problem.
Plenty of storage
Windows 7 64bit

#3892738 - 01/09/14 05:14 PM Re: Throttle acts like rudder in FSX [Re: specialksl]
Ssnake51 Offline

Originally Posted By: specialksl
I works fine in FSX. Its when I am using TARGET that causes the problem.

Then I would guess that there must be some problem with the axis assignments in TARGET. Could you post a pic of how they are set up in TARGET? I am still struggling to learn that software myself so am doubtful I will be able to solve your problem, but if some of the experts around here can see how you've assigned the axis in TARGET they should be able to help you.

#3892741 - 01/09/14 05:17 PM Re: Throttle acts like rudder in FSX [Re: Paradaz]
Ssnake51 Offline

Originally Posted By: Paradaz
Originally Posted By: Ssnake51

I think the main factor is that he is attempting to use/learn the TARGET software and profiles though.....could this be a reference to how some games see either a controller's z-slider or z-rotation for the throttle?...and the axis mapping needs to be swapped around?

I suspect so.

Wasn't trying to suggest that he shouldn't use TARGET but trying to narrow down the source of the problem.

#3893269 - 01/10/14 03:17 PM Re: Throttle acts like rudder in FSX [Re: specialksl]
specialksl Offline

I haven't done anything to the Axis'. It is stock. I am not very comfortable changing these as I didn't see any need to because they work fine in other sims and FSX before I started using TARGET. Any suggestions or setting from the veteran TARGET programmers would be helpful.

A screen shot would just be a picture of the default Axis settings so I don't see any benefit but if someone needs them I can post them.
Plenty of storage
Windows 7 64bit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Styx: Master of Shadows
by Coot
Today at 11:13 AM
It's that time of the year again... Vol XII
by Para_Bellum
Today at 08:16 AM
trackir in janes f15
by tirta
Today at 06:52 AM
Texan....
by BeachAV8R
Today at 04:59 AM
So what makes a good Tactical game? Of course you need to define what that is.
by FlashBurn
Today at 02:22 AM
Play Doom on your printer screen...
by mdwa
Today at 01:27 AM
This ad is a train wreck
by Timothy
Today at 01:09 AM
U-576 Found off NC
by Timothy
Today at 12:35 AM
Swiss Alps in 4k
by JimK
Yesterday at 11:04 PM
Avengers 2 teaser
by Vertigo1
Yesterday at 10:59 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.