Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3892083 - 01/08/14 10:51 PM Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
For the third mission in the campaign we are going on the offensive! After absorbing the initial East German attack we are going to push back to the east of Hanover..

We start out in HOTEL and GOLF with a FOB (resupply/repair) in GOLF. With 866 "points" to spend, and having upgraded many of the possible selections, I'm feeling pretty confident at this point. Instructions are to secure CHARLIE with optional secondary objectives of securing ALPHA and BRAVO on the flanks...

Immediately GOLF comes under attack by wave after wave of airborne troops ferried in by helicopter. I quickly get smart enough to send some anti-aircraft units and for the duration of this mission the AAA does an awesome job of shooting down every attempted insertion...

The NVA also try some light attacks directed toward GOLF, but a platoon of Leopards is more than enough to stave them off. The close proximity of the FOB is helpful since you can back out units and have them repaired fairly expeditiously...

I also embedded Jupiter support vehicles in a nearby forest to help rearm and refuel the defenders around GOLF...

As I build up my forces of tanks and prepare to roll I also utilize a couple Gazelle helicopters which provide excellent recon capability. Here they identify enemy armor that is sitting in the treeline on the plateau that is objective ALPHA...

Meanwhile, back over at GOLF, an enemy helicopter that is shot down lands right next to the FOB and sets a brush fire that turns into quite the conflagration. I move my units out of harms way and hope the FOB doesn't burn down..

Getting ready for the push on ALPHA I fuel up and arm up the tanks..

The high ground of ALPHA is evident to the right of the screen. I try to keep my tanks in the treeline to get them close enough to snipe at the defenders on the plateau. A platoon of T-55s comes screaming down the road and it is a turkey shoot down the alley as each is killed in order..

When things settle down a bit I order a platoon of Leos across the field to engage the defenders in the treeline while I bring in another platoon of Chieftains from another direction straight up the road and onto the plateau using the "MOVE FAST" command. It works brilliantly and in a few minutes we've secured ALPHA and the enemy FOB on top (we now get to use it). I put tanks on the perimeter woodline to guard against a counter attack.

I make what might be a critical error however and forget for a long time to move a command vehicle up onto the plateau to actually officially seize it. Without a command unit, the sector shows in limbo which means you don't get some point multipliers or something. Later I realize what I've done and I rush a command vehicle up there and the sector becomes ours.

Meanwhile, at GOLF the AAA continues to hold its own as more heli-borne assault squads attempt to land..

Then, inexplicably, things go to hell. The NVA must have been sitting on reserves, and I think I was moving my forces far, far too slow. Despite thinking I have good momentum, I'm soon countered by enemy tanks that drive up onto the plateau and engage in a close range knife fight. My tanks quickly get decimated and I can't generate enough new ones to make a significant difference. As well, enemy armor and mounted infantry are coming down directly down the center and I'm having to split my remaining forces to play defense instead of offense. I watch my points dwindle rapidly and soon I know I'm getting routed. You can use your points to reinforce units, but there is a hard limit on how many vehicles of any one type you can generate with those points. I eventually run out of heavy armor and its down to just infantry fighting vehicles and dismounted infantry.

I lose my initial command point when an APC gets blown up and I'm forced to pull a command vehicle from GOLF all the way across the map to reassert control of the home sector (HOTEL). The jeep makes its way across the map successfully. Without a command vehicle in your starting sector you cannot use your points to call up reserve forces. It's a bit of rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic though since I'm only left with infantry to spawn into the battle and they are just going into the meat grinder as NVA forces converge from three points of the compass..

The infantry in the woods does an admirable job of delaying the inevitable, but it is pretty sick to watch them getting blasted...

After three hours (all played in real time!), the final push is on and the NVA smell victory. They are within striking distance of my final command vehicle and HOTEL falls within minutes...

It's all over with a defeat, so I'll have to replay the mission. I know my playing style does not suit the requirements of the game. One of the carrots in the mission description is added points for finishing with 20 minutes - so it is possible to just push forces forward in a competent fashion and win this scenario handily. Competence isn't one of my strong points with the game however and my 3 hour + strategy was obviously a losing one. Despite accumulating over 4500 points (that is a lot) the end result is a mission fail. All of that said though..it was a great emotional rollercoaster..and fun gameplay. Things turned sour quickly and it was pretty humbling to go from feeling pretty good about the situation to resigned to defeat.

Patton, I am not.

BeachAV8R

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3892201 - 01/09/14 02:36 AM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
jenrick Offline
jenrick  Offline

Great AAR's I've been debating about picking up Wargame, and you've sold me on it.

Not having played Wargame I can't comment on how realistic their timing expectations are. However mechanized warfare is about mass and momentum. To gain the later requires speed, maybe not in the execution, but in getting units where they need to be to get in the fight ASAP.

You might really enjoy Flashpoint Campaigns - Red Storm with your self stated play style. It rewards a thinking commander, and as it's not an RTS there's less of a twitch element to it.

-Jenrick

#3892284 - 01/09/14 05:24 AM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
KlarSnow Offline
KlarSnow  Offline

NAS Pensacol, Fl
Beach, if you hop on steam or on Teamspeak, a few of us are playing rounds of Wargame:ALB pretty much every day, its a ton of fun even when losing and as I always play the soviet side, I need another soviet Tovarish to help crush the fascist amerikanskis!

This goes to anybody who wants to join us, the multiplayer especially with a local group all on TS is great fun, and a really good way to learn the game and the units.

Napalm is awesome.

And so are hinds biggrin

#3894978 - 01/14/14 02:48 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
A lot of people (including myself) tend to think Wargame EE is a more interesting game than Airland Battle.
Nice AAR !

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#3895463 - 01/15/14 06:50 AM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
sinner6 Offline
sinner6  Offline

Fort Worth,TX
Klar, if Beach does not take you up on that offer, I very well might. I have W:ALB, but find the single player is somewhat ruined by the weird 20 minute time limit in the campaign missions. Still, I want to like the game...lots of very good stuff here.

Steam: Sinner6
Uplay: Sinner76028
MWO: Sinner6
#3895473 - 01/15/14 08:00 AM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Count me in, if you see me idle online on Steam (Komemiute, in SimHQ Steam Group).
I too have both games.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3895878 - 01/16/14 01:38 AM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
KlarSnow Offline
KlarSnow  Offline

NAS Pensacol, Fl
If anybody wants to play just add me on Steam, same name, Klarsnow, I'm usually free in the evenings and occasionally in the afternoons. Central US time.

#3896403 - 01/16/14 08:20 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
I gave up on the game..just to much of a fast paced click fest for me.

#3903178 - 01/28/14 03:57 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I just finished this game with about 30+ points lost. A couple of recon helos and a scout APC were killed, but that's it. Obviously a lot of save games and reloads though! smile Learning slowly! I did notice that 20-minute goal, I might replay the scenario to see if I can do that. I'm sure it's do-able, but with more losses along the way. I took about 43 minutes of game time, but that's with securing everything and leapfrogging and resupply even after firing only 5 shots.

- Ice
#3903214 - 01/28/14 04:32 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
NVA? In Germany?

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3903559 - 01/28/14 11:29 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Nationale Volksarmee, not Charlie.

#3903873 - 01/29/14 05:26 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Ttime Offline
Ttime  Offline

Thanks for the awesome walkthrough! Need more please!

I bought Wargame about a month ago. And it's quickly devoured more of my waking hours than I'll ever admit. There's a pretty steep learning curve as you figure out unit's capabilities and timing on the battlefield, and I'm still getting my butt kicked in singleplayer on a regular basis. But I ventured into multi a few nights ago and it wasn't as savage a beating as I expected,so I'm good. Of course I was using Soviet gear and I didn't have a clue. driving Still trying to figure out the campaigns, but I can tell this one is a real keeper. wounded

loc: Northern California
#3905868 - 02/02/14 01:35 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: Ssnake]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Ssnake

First time I've heard of that, cheers smile

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3906628 - 02/03/14 11:32 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: Mace71]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Originally Posted By: Ssnake

First time I've heard of that, cheers smile

Isn't the NVA akin to their reserve forces?

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#3906716 - 02/04/14 03:23 AM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

No, the NVA represents the whole enchilada- the armed forces of the DDR.

No one gets out of here alive.

#3907757 - 02/05/14 10:58 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 03 Counter-Strike [Re: BeachAV8R]  
tomcat Offline
tomcat  Offline

Halifax, NS, Canada
I wish you had been able to do more of these Beach, I picked up this game after reading these reports and I've been completing the campaign. Just finally beat Ramstein today after the 4th try or so. The first time I was here this was unfamiliar and it was fun re reading another person's take on events of a mission after completing it myself. Thanks for helping push me to get it, been having a blast.

Last edited by tomcat; 02/05/14 10:58 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.