Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3890438 - 01/06/14 03:23 PM Wargame (EE) - 01 Iron Curtain  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
So after my disastrous start with Wargame: Airland Battle, I took a step back and went to the earlier game Wargame: European Escalation. While not as graphically fancy as W:AB, the older game has a really nice, slow going campaign introduction that doesn't overwhelm the new player (yet!).

The premise of the first campaign is basically a what-if scenario back when Werner Weinhold defected from East Germany to West Germany after killing two East German border guards. The incident sparks a cross border fight that becomes the trigger for an invasion. (I think I got the gist of the backstory right..)

Unfortunately, W:EE doesn't allow for playing back of single player missions, only multiplayer, which is a bummer, so you have to see all the overlays. Why there isn't a overlay hide key - I don't know...

The mission is limited in scope, just what I was looking for. I'm given command of four Leopard tanks (a platoon I believe?), a Luchs scout vehicle, and access to support vehicles for refueling/rearming/repairing.

I'm starting in sector Hotel with initial instructions to eliminate the enemy in sector Charlie near the bridge crossing...

I move my platoon of tanks up to a row of trees to provide some cover. I'll eventually split the formation into two elements (?) to allow for some flanking maneuvers...

As we approach the bridge I send the scout forward and he spies enemy forces on the bridge. I creep the tanks up to allow them to fire from a still position at maximum range, hoping to preserve my little fighting force..

The initial campaign mission has a whole bunch of pop-up suggestions, tips, and helpful notes to get the new user into the game..

The Luchs scout is quick, agile, but lacks real firepower. Later I learn to turn the gun off so as to make him more stealthy and prevent him from provoking anyone..

After destroying the enemy on the bridge I move the tanks up in bounding moves to assure I can counter any attacks that might come down parallel to the river..

The scout finds a small force moving south and I back him out of the area and set up an ambush that turns out to work pretty well although I lose one tank to return fire and a second is damaged.

I order a convoy of refueling trucks to meet us at a crossroads while I keep my scout positioned forward to warn us of anything rolling our way. The convoy can be ordered to use paved roads (faster) or go overland. Once they are within a certain radius of your units they will transfer fuel, weapons, and make repairs until their inventory is depleted...

Approaching the second bridge crossing there is a larger town with enemy units spread thinly throughout. I use the scout carefully to find them, then back him out while I maneuver my tanks to take advantage of the terrain and structures. Here I'm using a building to provide cover while I maneuver north to take shots at the rear of a pair of enemy tanks. The green line is showing I still don't have line of sight and the red X means I don't have the range yet either...

The scout vehicle uses fuel quickly with all of the maneuvering and must be refueled regularly. I use the resupply trucks steadily to keep all units in good order...

In some cases backing the scout out after identifying a target causes you to lose sight of them. In that case, since you know approximately where the target is, you can use indirect fire to blast away at the site. Here my scout found some infantry but when I backed away they disappeared. Since they weren't on the move though, I knew where to lob some shells to good effect. (No artillery yet in this scenario..)

Entering the town is a nervous affair, but only a few light units are within and it only takes a few minutes to clear them out...

Once the town is clear, the mission is accomplished. I could have also crossed the first bridge to pick up points for a secondary objective, but chose to bypass that and work toward the primary objective...

The mission took 90 minutes (all in real time) and it was fantastic. Slower paced, methodical, and not a mad rush or overwhelming at all. I hope the campaign continues to hold my hand as I continue...

BeachAV8R

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3890496 - 01/06/14 05:16 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 01 Iron Curtain [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Great AAR Beach.

Last edited by Tigerwulf; 01/06/14 07:10 PM. Reason: Nevermind
#3890550 - 01/06/14 07:01 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 01 Iron Curtain [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

It's not necessarily a limitation of the games themselves, it's the same for all RTS simulations.

The pretty graphics do well in scenarios with a few actors, but in large scenarios, the player spends more time trying to manage all the units and therefore spends more time zoomed further zoomed out at the higher levels to admire the graphics.

And WW3 should be insane- the density of vehicles and individual actors would be something no one has ever seen before- and in real life, no single person manages it all.

So, it's the limit of human interface with these style of games, multi-player coop is really the more practical and realistic way to simulate the command chain and division of labor.

No one gets out of here alive.

#3890667 - 01/06/14 10:08 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 01 Iron Curtain [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Minor nit pick ... that wasn't a Luchs but, as the unit label in the screenshots also revealed, the HS-30 based "SPz kurz" (in the reconnaissance role). The Luchs would be built a decade later, in the early 1970s. Well, actually the scenario must be set in 1972 or later, as the shown Leopards are the A1A1 model which were introduced that year.

Some trivia, to make up for the annoyance:

The HS-30 vehicle program actually was a military procurement disaster with all the ingredients - incompetence both in the army and with the manufacturer, bribery, underperformance, costs spiralling out of control, ludicrous smoke & mirror product presentations, ... and a handful of politicians and higher ranking bureaucrats who died in a series of mysterious accidents.
The responsible minister ... remained in office, only to be forced to resign later over an affair on a level with Watergate, just confined to Germany (including perjury, unlawful arrests of journalists, seizing the whole newspaper, and more). Wonderful times.

#3890710 - 01/06/14 11:14 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 01 Iron Curtain [Re: BeachAV8R]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Ah..yes! I see now my error - the first screen shows that the recon detachment had two vehicles (I apparently never used the other one) and indeed the first one was the SPz kurz..

Interesting about the HS-30 procurement process. I read an interesting drama book about the Abrams procurement process and it was quite interesting as well. Can't remember the title offhand..but it was a good read (not sure how factual it was, but it sounded pretty in line with typical Washington defense politics..)

BeachAV8R

#3895700 - 01/15/14 07:14 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 01 Iron Curtain [Re: BeachAV8R]  
franx Offline
Impersonal pronoun
franx  Offline
Impersonal pronoun

Philadelphia
The NATO recon units on foot don't seem to be controllable in the first scenario. What am I doing wrong?

#3895711 - 01/15/14 07:34 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 01 Iron Curtain [Re: franx]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: franx
The NATO recon units on foot don't seem to be controllable in the first scenario. What am I doing wrong?

Are they Green or Blue in color? Many scenarios start with units that are on your side, but are green initially, until a specifc objective is met and then they fall under your control. Also note that some scenarios may initially have some units under your control, but after meeting or failing a certain objective, they resort back to AI control and turn green.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#3895757 - 01/15/14 08:40 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 01 Iron Curtain [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
I liked the AAR, thanks for sharing it with us!

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#3896065 - 01/16/14 11:33 AM Re: Wargame (EE) - 01 Iron Curtain [Re: franx]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
Originally Posted By: franx

Nothing, these units are under AI control (green tag) for the whole scenario.

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#3902626 - 01/27/14 07:43 PM Re: Wargame (EE) - 01 Iron Curtain [Re: BeachAV8R]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
One of the things the smaller screenies does not show is how poor the graphics are compared to Wargame ALB.... however, the tutorial on that game is a joke so I am trying EE for now and then "step up" to ALB later on. Nice AAR!

- Ice

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.