Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3863664 - 11/17/13 08:27 AM Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod  
Destraex Offline
Destraex  Offline

I have to say there are a lot of things that really scare me about the BOS FAQ.
I am thinking that if TF5 makes Clod definitive it may still be more than a match for BOS.

Things like:

* No clickable cockpits planned.
* Not a study/training sim (think FSX, DCS), but a combat simulator.
* Cockpit details will not be modeled to CloD level.
* Engine will be DirectX 9 based on launch.
* Will use Digital Nature (Rise of Flight) engine.
* Not a CloD clone sequel, a brand new game.
* Only the critical systems will be modeled: propeller pitch, boost, altitude control, different mechanization, weapons etc.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/146-what-we-know-so-far-battle-stalingrad/

#3863671 - 11/17/13 08:51 AM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I ain't scared; in fact, those are all plusses in my book!

That's the neat thing about being somewhat spoiled for choice - we all get to fly what best suits us. I never understood the whole "my sim is better, yours sucks and therefore shouldn't be bought" mentality. The whole poisonous OFF versus RoF saga along with the virulent trashing of ClOD put me off looking at flight sim forums for the better part of a year - if something isn't one's cup of tea just put it down and don't worry about it (which is what I did with ClOD).

I just want the darn thing to run well and be fun. Not in the arcade sense, but in the ease of setup and sense of flight sense.

Indeed, I want a modern successor to the IL-2 series, not more ClOD.

Clickable cockpits, IMHO, are better suited for modern aircraft systems; even in Black Shark most of the clickable stuff was relegated to buttons and rotaries on my HOTAS, which more accurately simulates the action of reaching out and pressing a button or turning a dial than manipulating a mouse on a screen.

I like the RoF engine, probably because I really like RoF. The feeling of flight is dead on the money to me, and the way the aircraft act rings very true to me. Hell, I practiced wheel landings in the SPAD XIII, as it translated pretty darned well to an actual Champ!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3863674 - 11/17/13 08:58 AM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
Fudge93 Offline
Fudge93  Offline

England
I'm the other way smile

* No clickable cockpits planned. - Only used for start up really. A button feels more authentic to me.
* Not a study/training sim (think FSX, DCS), but a combat simulator. - The flight physics and aircraft mechanics will still be excelent. Can't think of anything the P-51 has that I would miss.
* Cockpit details will not be modeled to CloD level. - The images released looked great. If you are looking at your pit while in a fight I think you are doing it wrong biggrin
* Engine will be DirectX 9 based on launch. - Slightly disappointing, but doesn't mean they can't work wonders with it and move over to Dx11 with object instancing and tessellation at a later date.
* Will use Digital Nature (Rise of Flight) engine. - This is a major plus to me. Never had a problem with the engine, looks great, runs great, feels great.
* Not a CloD clone sequel, a brand new game. - They will say this whenever possible as many do not like CloD
* Only the critical systems will be modeled: propeller pitch, boost, altitude control, different mechanization, weapons etc. - Sounds reasonable to me, read the PCPilot article, they mention much more in depth damage systems that get me very excited.

Will still fly Clod, just like I'll fly FSX, ROF, DCS and anything I get my hands on. Each has its strengths.

combtpilot.co.uk
#3863676 - 11/17/13 09:08 AM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Play both?

#3863686 - 11/17/13 09:43 AM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
It's allowed, at least in Alabama.

Check local, state and national laws for your area.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3863722 - 11/17/13 01:30 PM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
OutRurMind Offline
OutRurMind  Offline

Berry, AL, USA
Clickable cockpits????? How realistic is that? What a waste of game resources that can be better utilized in other areas of the game. Direct x version who gives a hoot as long as the game looks good and gives you those awesome moments of actually being there. I bet that if you had BOS to compare you would not be able to describe the direct x in game differences without looking it up on Google. Do you even realize that you were fleeced on the purchase of a certain game. Hey I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn that has been rendered in direct x 11.4.

#3863735 - 11/17/13 02:30 PM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
RoFfan Offline
RoFfan  Offline

I like clickable cockpits. Personal taste I guess. To echo what was said above, there's no need to say that clickable cockpits have to be there, nor that they are a waste of resources.

#3863738 - 11/17/13 02:48 PM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Fudge93]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Originally Posted By: Fudge93

* Will use Digital Nature (Rise of Flight) engine. - This is a major plus to me. Never had a problem with the engine, looks great, runs great, feels great.

It has it's limits.

RoF is OK and runs quite well if you don't tax it in any way

I hope BoS has more scope for interesting missions.

I don't want to see this sort of error being logged when I save a mission
Quote:
Max vehicles with entity number exceeded! max: 40, actual: 77
Max planes with entity number exceeded! max: 20, actual: 46
Max total entity number exceeded! max: 80, actual: 129

Especially as the Battle of Stalingrad happened just as much on the ground as it did in the air

#3863747 - 11/17/13 03:37 PM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Brigstock]  
TychosElk Offline
TychosElk  Offline

Originally Posted By: Brigstock

Quote:

How old is that error message? It doesn't look remotely like anything you'd get now.

Last edited by TychosElk; 11/17/13 03:41 PM.
#3863812 - 11/17/13 06:34 PM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Destraex
I have to say there are a lot of things that really scare me about the BOS FAQ.
I am thinking that if TF5 makes Clod definitive it may still be more than a match for BOS.
Things like:
* Only the critical systems will be modeled: propeller pitch, boost, altitude control, different mechanization, weapons etc.
http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/146-what-we-know-so-far-battle-stalingrad/

Not a deal breaker in the least for me.. clickable pits are highly overated.

That is a plus. IMO having DCS and FSX is enough study/training sim stuff for me.. just as having WT is enough MMO game .. and just because it is not a study sim does not mean it will not be a good sim.

Again.. who died and made CoD the benchmark.. I mean it's good and all ... but for me just because it is not modled as CoD does not mean that it will not be modeled very good.

You'd be surprised what you can get out of DX9. That's no deal breaker either by a long shot. Just based on the videos shown BoS looks pretty darned good.

Another plus. It is stable and I am certain that it is far from maxxed out in anything we see in RoF just as the IL2 engine was far from maxxed out with IL2.

Another plus. A big one. Also an obvious one.. in less than 12 months we are about to get an Alpha..

That too is not a bad thing... it will have a lot modeled.. so just because it is not on the level as CoD doesn't mean that it won't be good..

I think that BoS is going to be a very long anticipated game changer .. and a lot of people who feel this way (the way the OP does) are going to find themselves dropping some cash sooner than they planned. It is so interesting to me that so many CoD supporters seem to be trying to convince themselves that BoS is going to be more bust than success.. Almost like they want it to fall flat.. as if they fear it's success will somehow do to CoD what a lack of further developer support cold not do.. and they may be right .. but in any case as I stated in an earlier post CoD has been redeemed to a great extent by the work of TF.. but it will only go so far unless it gets picked up by a development company. This is no reflection on TF but just reality. There are so many hours n a day and they will only be able to do so much .. for free in their spare time.. especially if they have families and of course all the real life stuff to deal with.

BoS is going to scratch an itch that many of us have had for years now... and it is going to scratch it very well.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#3863814 - 11/17/13 06:36 PM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
Ian Boys Offline
Hotshot
Ian Boys  Offline
Hotshot

Broadbottom UK
How can people criticise a game that

a) Isn't out yet
b) Is only 32% complete anyway?

#3863816 - 11/17/13 06:39 PM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: OutRurMind]  
ATAG_Bliss Offline
ATAG_Bliss  Offline

Originally Posted By: OutRurMind
Clickable cockpits????? How realistic is that? What a waste of game resources that can be better utilized in other areas of the game. Direct x version who gives a hoot as long as the game looks good and gives you those awesome moments of actually being there. I bet that if you had BOS to compare you would not be able to describe the direct x in game differences without looking it up on Google. Do you even realize that you were fleeced on the purchase of a certain game. Hey I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn that has been rendered in direct x 11.4.

I, like you, used to think Clickable cockpits were just that, allowed you to click on stuff. But the difference is all those features of the cockpit make up all the systems modelling in the plane. When you get a full blown sim like DCS stuff, to say the clickable bit is bad, is a huge misconception. The reason it's clickable is to allow the people that don't have 300 extra keys to bind to a keyboard etc., to control stuff. It needs the clickable part because the rest of the entire system of the plane is modeled.

Personally, after trying DCS, I never knew that much immersion existed in the cockpit alone. There's so much to keep track of, so much setup, it's quite amazing. So many people are used to pressing one key to fly/start, then sorting out the engine speed, rads, up/down/left/right, that they can't really understand the need for clickable pits at all. Well, I can tell you, once you fly a sim that has all the systems modeled, it's hard to go back. There's a heck of a lot more to flying a plane than it's how it behaves in the air. To get a true feel of the aircraft, you need to have the entire plane modeled. That means all the system modeling on top of the flight model. Because all those things go hand in hand to how well you can actually fly the plane.

It's not a bad thing. And I wish people would think there's more to it than just the fact you can click controls in the cockpit. It's the fact that all those buttons, dials, controls, systems, actually work in the aircraft in the 1st place. Clickable pits are simply a way to access those extra controls, systems, etc., as 99% of the flight sim community probably would never have enough buttons in combined in their HOTAS / keyboard to ever be able to bind them all, let alone remember them.

Am I disappointed that BoS won't have the system modelling of Clod, let alone DCS, of course. But it's not stated as a serious sim. It's stated to have simple controls and modelling like old IL2, maybe even less. So it should be easy to play / fly etc. The engine limits have always been a sore point for the ROF engine though. We'll just have to wait and see.

#3863819 - 11/17/13 06:41 PM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Well the non clickable cockpit thing is completed. And hence stands to be criticized. Easy.

But for me non clickable is not a game breaker

#3863847 - 11/17/13 08:30 PM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

BoS will have proper ground handling, which is very important as none in the Il2 series have had it up to this point. And trees that are actual solid objects, rather than pointlessly graphically rendered specters that can be flown through or turned off altogether.

Last edited by NattyIced; 11/17/13 08:30 PM.
#3863848 - 11/17/13 08:31 PM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: TychosElk]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Originally Posted By: TychosElk
Originally Posted By: Brigstock

Quote:

How old is that error message? It doesn't look remotely like anything you'd get now.

6 days old from last Monday night.

Although the mission played with those numbers anything more starts to push the limit on COOP play.

#3863941 - 11/18/13 02:08 AM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Ian Boys]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Ian Boys
How can people criticise a game that

a) Isn't out yet
b) Is only 32% complete anyway?

Welcome to the Interweb. yep

Question everything!
#3863978 - 11/18/13 03:57 AM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I routinely go onto the GM forums and trash the 2015 model Silverado truck because I like my 2008 Ford F-150 so much.

I won't be buying one, that's for sure.

From Laser:
#3864028 - 11/18/13 07:59 AM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Clickable pits?

Some people love them, some don't and i don't really have a opinion as ive never tried them but having them cant be called a bad thing, as long as the option to use a key or button instead is there as well, just as not having them cant be called a bad thing.

#3864161 - 11/18/13 03:34 PM Re: Battle for Stalingrad - After reading the FAQ I think I will be sticking with Clod [Re: Destraex]  
SYN_Jedders Offline
SYN_Jedders  Offline

I love clickable pits in DCS:P51 while getting started etc, never use em in the air mind you....well...unless I cant remember which button I mapped of course smile

In IL2 I didn't have em and didn't miss em, same in RoF. In CloD I had em but it was a bit "half way" with only some things clickable. Its gotta be all of em, like in DCS or none, like in BoS for me.

Getting the best out of Digital Nature Engine takes a lot of skill, Mission programming can feel beyond the abilities of the casual simmer (me included). Mind you, it has some amazing features when done right.

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.