Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3903361 - 01/28/14 07:14 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

That's awesome, Burton. I'd love the PSD.

I couldn't duplicate the issue with the A-10C, but I did notice that 1.2.7 seems to be more sensitive in the order in which modifiers vs. buttons are pressed. I adjusted my routines accordingly for 1.00 by putting in a 10ms delay between modifiers and the active buttons.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3904597 - 01/30/14 11:01 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.00 is released.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#3906947 - 02/04/14 03:36 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
Burton Offline
Burton  Offline

Hi HF, I'm just looking through the control guide for the FC3 profile.

I understand that relative to the position of the dogfight switch, the hat switches perform differently, UMD, I get that, but can you explain what DI, DO, MI, MO, UI are?

#3907145 - 02/04/14 08:32 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

No problem. This is just old FLCS/TQS and Foxy nomenclature. Though you already understand the basics, I'll spell them out for everybody else:

/I is for S3 in (pressed), /O is for out (default unpressed)
/U is for dogfight switch in the up position
/M is for dogfight switch in the middle position
/D is for dogfight switch in the down position

There are a possible six combinations for each button depending on the state of S3 and the dogfight switch. The 2 letters are just a possible combination.

For example, /DI is when S3 is pressed and the dogfight switch is down.

I'll be sure to explain this in the next version of the user guide.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#3907816 - 02/06/14 01:51 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Originally Posted By: HomeFries
Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG

There's just one problem with that...assigning a button to act as a DCS modifier means you can't use it to perform standalone functions at all. Imagine your boat switch not working like it's supposed to in the A-10C...

Incidentally, this has been the main hindrance for my Lua-only DCS profiles (trying to see if I can implement all needed functionality without touching TARGET so that I don't have to worry about switching TARGET profiles between different aircraft). That context sensitivity is needed to make the TMS function like the F-16C would (different scan patterns for dogfight/WVR, target lock/unlock for BVR), but moving the mode switch should also change the master mode accordingly, which can't be done if the mode switch is used for DCS modifiers.

That said, your profile has been exceedingly helpful in figuring out what the important FC3 commands are and where I might want them, even if I haven't had my hotrodded Cougar for a long while now.

Thank you for the kind words.

For starters, I would look at either S3 or S4 as your modifier. The Cougar (and the old F-16 FLCS) defaults to S3 for the modifier, though this is also NWS/Laser for the A-10C. Since S4 does not actually exist on the A-10C HOTAS this is a logical modifier, but I find it more difficult to do combinations with S4 versus S3 given that its location requires more time for your pinky to get to it.

The way I do the profile is use S3 as the modifier and use S4 for the Laser on the A-10C (it's actually a bit more complicated than that due to my wheel brake routine, but this would work for you without having to code in TARGET). I don't recommend using the boat switch or any switch with a steady (not instantaneous) on state as a DCS modifier because an active modifier will prevent you from using things like the comm menu. I did the U/M/D in the FC3 profile from within TARGET.

As a former F-22 Pro and Cougar owner, I'm fairly experienced in the old logical programming language and actually still prefer its simplicity in many regards. I would've preferred S4 to be the default /I /O shift modifier since I find it easier to hold down, but TM's decision was made years ago.

My hesitation for actually setting up a modifier for my profiles is pretty much the same reason I'm NOT using the boat switch as a set of modifiers; DCS itself will act as if they are modifiers for ALL aircraft modules, even where they aren't necessary, like in A-10C. It's less of a concern for FC3, but I'm pretty insistent on S4 for helicopter trimming as opposed to your use of H4, and even within FC3, it's proven quite useful for wheel brakes since Eagle Dynamics still refuses to implement analog axis mappings for wheel brakes, differential or not.

Fiddling around with the Su-27 a bit more gives me a clearer idea of what I want mounted where; however, it'll inherently require a repurposing of the Warthog's "mic switch" hat for WVR master modes with only the center click-down reserved for radio commands (or in my case, external VoIP push-to-talk).

Without resorting to shifts for the required context sensitivity, something will have to give in the F-15C. I can make the TMS loosely emulate either the F-16C's dogfight or MRM override, not both, but for the sake of consistency with the Su-27, which does NOT automatically lock up targets in its scan pattern like I expected and requires a manual designation, I'll shunt the WVR scan patterns to the mic switch.

I think I've come close to the ideal Warthog layout after a few key realizations like that and how reserving S3 for lasing isn't a requirement on the fighters that have radars and no tracking lasers to engage for LGB employment, alongside figuring out what axes actually respond to what radar functions. Turns out that "Radar Horizontal" does NOT shift the scan zone left/right on the Su-27, but actually adjusts the expected target size...also, "Base/Distance" apparently does nothing and "MFD Range" does exactly what you'd expect, corresponding to the "Display Zoom In/Out" button mappings.

Maybe after this, I should go pick up another CH Products Fighterstick/Pro Throttle pair and Saitek X-52 Pro (X-55 as well once it hits general availability) simply to create updated DCS profiles for everyone's convenience, if I don't remember all the default button/axis mappings off the top of my head and can't key them all in manually off memory. You'd think Eagle Dynamics would put in all the work there so we don't have to, at least to give us all a good reference point...

#3909870 - 02/10/14 04:57 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: NamelessPFG]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

As a former F-22 Pro and Cougar owner, I'm fairly experienced in the old logical programming language and actually still prefer its simplicity in many regards. I would've preferred S4 to be the default /I /O shift modifier since I find it easier to hold down, but TM's decision was made years ago.

My hesitation for actually setting up a modifier for my profiles is pretty much the same reason I'm NOT using the boat switch as a set of modifiers; DCS itself will act as if they are modifiers for ALL aircraft modules, even where they aren't necessary, like in A-10C. It's less of a concern for FC3, but I'm pretty insistent on S4 for helicopter trimming as opposed to your use of H4, and even within FC3, it's proven quite useful for wheel brakes since Eagle Dynamics still refuses to implement analog axis mappings for wheel brakes, differential or not.

It appears that 1.2.7 now allows aircraft specific modifiers (like we had in FC2), but I haven't explored this further. Even if you do have a boat switch for a set of modifiers for one particular aircraft, you still lose the ability to use the comms menu while the boat/dogfight switch is in any position other than center. That's why I use TARGET for the dogfight switch modes in FC3.

I originally had S3 or S4 as selectable modifiers in my profile, but went exclusively to S3 when I decided to use S4 for differential braking. This was really more of a Cougar issue, because a rudder with toe brakes attached to the Cougar still has to sacrifice 2 axes in the CCP before even entering TARGET programming, so there is no way to select 8 of 10 axes on the fly. S4 as wheel brake using the rudder position for differential braking modeled itself after many WWII aircraft, and in reserving S4 for wheel brake (while the gear is down) required removing it as a viable modifier.

The rationale for H4 as trim was based on the actual trim button location on the Ka-50 cyclic, which matches the H4 position. I wanted to match the actual aircraft HOTAS as much as possible, and since the Cougar does not have an H4 Z axis, I had to use one of the hat switch positions. Forward seemed logical because it is easy to hold in while still making fine adjustments with the controller.

Fiddling around with the Su-27 a bit more gives me a clearer idea of what I want mounted where; however, it'll inherently require a repurposing of the Warthog's "mic switch" hat for WVR master modes with only the center click-down reserved for radio commands (or in my case, external VoIP push-to-talk).

Without resorting to shifts for the required context sensitivity, something will have to give in the F-15C. I can make the TMS loosely emulate either the F-16C's dogfight or MRM override, not both, but for the sake of consistency with the Su-27, which does NOT automatically lock up targets in its scan pattern like I expected and requires a manual designation, I'll shunt the WVR scan patterns to the mic switch.

The TEMPO command was my workaround for this. With dogfight up, TMS maps to the WVR modes for TEMPO Short commands, and TMS Up Long is the manual lock. Dogfight down maps TMS to the BVR mode.

I think I've come close to the ideal Warthog layout after a few key realizations like that and how reserving S3 for lasing isn't a requirement on the fighters that have radars and no tracking lasers to engage for LGB employment, alongside figuring out what axes actually respond to what radar functions. Turns out that "Radar Horizontal" does NOT shift the scan zone left/right on the Su-27, but actually adjusts the expected target size...also, "Base/Distance" apparently does nothing and "MFD Range" does exactly what you'd expect, corresponding to the "Display Zoom In/Out" button mappings.

Yeah, finding the logical consistent mappings across aircraft with divergent functions was tough, but at least there is enough commonality with FC3 aircraft to make it work

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#3910967 - 02/12/14 10:38 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.10 is released. This release contains updated LUA profiles for DCS World 1.2.7 Update 1, consolidates and remaps much of the FC3 profiles, fixes a minor bug with the UH-1, and adds a Mi-8 profile (work in progress).

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#3947363 - 05/01/14 12:01 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.20 is released for DCS World 1.2.8.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#3958973 - 05/28/14 05:10 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.24 is released.

Change Log:
  • Enhanced Analog Airbrake routine (H/T Nicu) for FC3 (F-15C), DX, and A-10C profiles
  • FC3: Added Fuel Tank Selector and T/O trim to RMFD for F-15C
  • FC3: Updated S3+T1 Long to jettison fuel tanks regardless of dogfight switch position
  • FC3: Added relative microstick axes to dummy axes for Su-25T
  • UH-1: Set Snapviews to shifted H3R/L only (deconflicts with trim)
  • UH-1: Added context sensitive T1/T6 mapping and H1 searchlight
  • UH-1: Swapped mapping of searchlight and landing light
  • UH-1: Replaced RMFD RADALT and CDI OBS functions with electrical panel and radio functions
  • P-51D: Restored X/Y axes to joystick diff.lua file
  • A-10C: Reorganized most of MFD additional (shifted) functions. Added parking brake (T10)

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#3976036 - 07/02/14 06:11 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.26 is released.

Change Log:

• Added TARGET-based Central Position Trimmer Mode (TCPTM)
  • Revised Throttle-based Engine Start (S3 now required) and added Single Engine Option
  • Added flashing LED for Engine Shutdown
  • Added delays to "simultaneous" LED use to minimize profile crashes
  • Fixed ejection routine to prevent TrackIR from pausing after ejection.
  • Ka-50: Enhanced PVI-800 functionality (RMFD) and misc MFD functions.
  • Ka-50: Changed H4LR (Emer AP Discon) to TEMPO Long. Mapped S4 (gear st. up) to Emer AP Discon.
  • Ka-50: Added R-828/ARK-22 to HOTAS and Rotor RPM Warn light to LOSB5 long.
  • Ka-50: Added Engine Start routines when gear state is down
  • P-51D: Enabled T6 for differential wheelbrake (gear state down) and changed WEP to TEMPO Long.

I'm particularly proud of the Target-based Central Position Trimmer mode, which incorporates the advantages of both of the ED trimmer modes and minimizes both of their disadvantages. IMO, this is the best alternative to helicopter trimming short of force feedback. Be sure to read the User Reference for details.

Note: both the Installation Guide and User Reference now have a black line in the margin where contents have been changed since the last public release. You can now browse both manuals to quickly see what has been updated.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#3978448 - 07/09/14 01:21 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
maestro72x Offline
maestro72x  Offline

also anyone have a similar for the Warthog?

Last edited by maestro72x; 07/09/14 01:25 AM.
#3981261 - 07/15/14 05:33 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

All,

Please note that I have added a poll regarding how best to map the Ka-50 switches on the Autopilot panel. See the initial post for details on the options, and feel free to offer your rationale in this thread.

Please vote in the poll at ED or Combatsim

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#3994996 - 08/13/14 07:15 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Version 1.28 is released for DCS World 1.2.10.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4026154 - 10/23/14 04:30 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

1.29 is Released. The MiG-21 has been added, along with the following changes:
  • Forced Fw190 Gear/Flaps to LMFD for realism and functionality
  • Tied Digital Throttle sectors to ThrottleMin and IdleDetent values
  • Added "Binary-Discrete" airbrake type for use with MiG-21
  • Fixed padlock bug with non-TIR Hat1 (H/T cake_o_fruits)
  • Fixed bug with Ka-50 Microstick Offset affecting XM60 control in the UH-1
  • Changed Microstick_Offset to apply to all aircraft and added Helo_Microstick_Offset for the reverse throttle

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4034885 - 11/12/14 01:44 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

1.30 is released. 1.30 makes minor changes to the MFDs for use with the Su-27 PFM and Electrical Power for all FC3 aircraft, and fixes a bug when using FC3 with Aries Radio.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4042992 - 11/29/14 05:55 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
Snakeyes Offline
XBL: sSnakeyes
Snakeyes  Offline

Arizona, USA
HomeFries,

I don't currently own MFDs. Can I still use your TM Cougar profiles? Out of curiosity, what kind of MFDs do you use? Approx. how much do they cost and could they be utilized without a cockpit?

Thanks!

#4043441 - 11/30/14 05:30 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Snakeyes,

I use the Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, the only TM MFDs available. Amazon sells the MFDs for about $70. You don't need a full cockpit; the MFDs can be propped up on your desk.

Depending on the aircraft you fly, you may need the MFDs. In any case, they are highly recommended, and required in order to change between aircraft profiles.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#4043477 - 11/30/14 10:35 AM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
Snakeyes Offline
Snakeyes  Offline

Arizona, USA
I'll check them out on Amazon! Thanks for the feedback HomeFries.

#4043973 - 12/01/14 04:48 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: HomeFries]  
Snakeyes Offline
Snakeyes  Offline

Arizona, USA
HomeFries, I ordered a pair of TM MFDs from Amazon and they should be here on Wednesday. I'm anxious to try your profiles out! I'm happy to see that a few people are still using the TM Cougar and writing new profiles for it. Did you add anything to the center of the MFDs or fit them over some kind of display? I've read where some just add a cardboard insert painted either light green (like an MFD screen) or black.

matrix

#4043975 - 12/01/14 04:54 PM Re: DCS World TARGET profile for TM Cougar (HOTAS+MFDs) [Re: Snakeyes]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Originally Posted By: Snakeyes
HomeFries, I ordered a pair of TM MFDs from Amazon and they should be here on Wednesday. I'm anxious to try your profiles out! I'm happy to see that a few people are still using the TM Cougar and writing new profiles for it. Did you add anything to the center of the MFDs or fit them over some kind of display? I've read where some just add a cardboard insert painted either light green (like an MFD screen) or black.

I actually use 3M wall stickies (padded stickies used for posters) to mount my MFDs to a separate monitor, then have DCS display the MFDs separately to that part of the screen on the monitor. If you don't want to do that, you may print out the MFD graphics (included in the profile) at 100% scale, and the inserts will fit directly into the MFDs themselves. I highly recommend this until you learn where things are mapped for each aircraft.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.